Get FREE shipping on all US orders of $25 or more from the BeerAdvocate Store.

No promo code required. Offer valid through 4/30.

Ready to gear up? Start shopping →

Buffalo Bill's Blueberry Oatmeal Stout | Buffalo Bill's Brewery

YOUR RATING = None |
good
Read the review

Buffalo Bill's Blueberry Oatmeal StoutBuffalo Bill's Blueberry Oatmeal Stout

Buffalo Bill's Brewery
California, United States | website

Style: Oatmeal Stout

Oatmeal stout brewed with blueberries with natural flavor added.

At 7.5% alcohol, this award-winning brew is a true winter warmer. Blueberry Oatmeal Stout has hints of chocolate, oatmeal and fresh blueberries. A wonderful pairing of flavors! Great for the holidays and for those who enjoy discovering new beers.

Added by dsa7783 on 12-22-2007

Reviews: 244 | Ratings: 490
4.66/5  rDev +39.5%

I may be coming out of the woodwork with this review but I find this beer to be deliciously exceptional.

The aroma literally jumps out and kicks your nose with an impact that you will remember. What does it smell like exactly? It smells EXACTLY like blueberry oatmeal and the smell stays true throughout the brew.

What does it taste like? If you can imagine blueberry oatmeal being a beer, that is what it tastes like as well. And at 7.5%, who could complain? Maybe I drink too much I can't even come close to tasting the alcohol.

I only bought this because the place I buy from ran out of top shelf beers and I just grabbed this as a gag. I thought it was just a beer brewed with blueberries but then I found out it was an oatmeal stout as well. What a pleasant surprise!

If you like blueberries and high percent alcohol in your beer (who doesn't?), I'd suggest picking this up to try immediatly. It's a definite vacation from the beer you are use to drinking and almost like a breathe of fresh air from a new light, never tasted or smelled before. Step up, and SMELL THE LIGHT!

Edit: I just bought another 6-pack of this and it lacks a bit from the other one's I've had. I think this is the kind of beer that has much variation from each brew they make. If you didn't like it the first time, give it a try again- maybe it'll be from one of the better brews they did.

4.65/5  rDev +39.2%

Not what i was expecting at all. An interesting Bluberry beer that pours far darker and heavier than most fruit beers. The Stout gives ita good, full body and the blueberry aroma is definitely there but not overwhelming. Tastes very smooth on the mouth and was very easily drinkable. An excellent winter beer, with a summer taste.

4.5/5  rDev +34.7%

This is a good beer! I was interested to try it because I enjoyed Buffalo Bill's Orange Blossom Cream Ale, but did not enjoy their Pumpkin Ale at all... so I figured this would be the final coin flip.

I was not disappointed - it's a typical quality oatmeal stout in appearance and mouthfeel. But it has a subtle but noticeable blueberry nose. The blueberry flavor is similarly subtle but pleasant and noticeable in the taste - a surprisingly good match with the sweeter oatmeal stout style. This beer is a candidate for a session beer, and might even be a good stout to drink well into spring.

4.42/5  rDev +32.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

The best part of the beer it the subtle scent of blueberry pancakes when you hover your nose over it. You can barely notice when you drink it but I love this beer.

4.42/5  rDev +32.3%

As a local to Buffalo Bill's I get to experience alot of their beer from the tap, but picked up a sixer of this at bevmo and it didn't dissapoint.

Poured a nice dark color, like it should, and left the perfect head...because of my pouring expertise. I love oatmeal stout's so I was excited to see it added with blueberries, and Buffalo Bill's did not let me down. Oh good Lord, it smelled like those blueberry pancakes mama used to make, but not too strong, just enough to taste the berries. The taste was great too..a great balanced stout with just the right flavor of the berry. Went down nice and smooth...all 6 of them

4.42/5  rDev +32.3%

Appearance: Very dark brown, thin off white head with very little retention or lace. Some sediment. Not much like a stout.

Aroma: Blueberry, lavender. Interesting.

Taste: Blueberry, lavender, liquorice. Hint of chocolate. Very smooth, perhaps from the oatmeal. Slight sweetness, no bitterness. Maybe soapy or medicinal but in a good way. Doesn't really taste like a stout, but there is something very moreish about the flavours.

Mouthfeel: Full bodied, a little dry.

Drinkability: A good sipper, and surprisingly moreish. Just expect something unusual and you'll be satisfied.

4.37/5  rDev +30.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I'm halfway through my second six-pack of this beer and am loving it. They must have changed some stuff up because the older reviews are horrible, but recent ones have gotten better. It's a totally different bottle and labeling now than what is pictured above.
Look: Man this is near perfect. Beautiful two finger head with great retention. It's seriously thick tan clouds that don't move no matter how much you swirl. Lacing is magnificent. My HydroFlask Perfect Pint 'glass' (it's stainless steel) might help with that but truly great. Nice and dark, hardly any light gets through the corners (when I had it in a normal glass).
Smell: Definite Blueberry with subtle classic stout characteristics. As I get past the blueberry, I get tons of chocolate and coffee. It's still muted a bit too much to call it perfect. Not a slap in the face.
Taste: Here is where this stout shines, among other places. I love the slap of blueberry I get, and how the bitterness cloys at the coffee bitterness to combine for a well rounded, but coffee and blueberry forward stout. There's a bitter chocolate there as well. As I type this I can understand how some people might argue it's not balanced great, but this favors my palate and I love it.
Feel: The other only part that is slacking in this beer is that it is a bit thin *compared* to other great stouts I've had. It's still got that chewiness but I just want more. Carbonation may be a bit too much as well, but it's not overpowering. I want a little less to let it sit in my mouth and let it die there before jumping into the pits of my stomach.
Overall: If you couldn't tell, or if you just skipped to here (I do it too) I really admire this beer. I fell in love with my first blueberry stout in Norway three months ago and have been on a hunt for an available substitute ever since. I have found that substitute. Exactly what I look for in an adjunct stout; noticeable berry flavor, with distinct classic stout flavors of coffee and chocolate. I can imagine the beer being better with a bigger aroma and a died down mouthfeel, but hey those are petty complaints. Oh and look at that, I'm near the end of the beer and the head is still there, albeit reduced. Try it, if a bluberry oatmeal stout sounds good to you, you will enjoy it. Cheers to a few more sixpacks!

4.27/5  rDev +27.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

This past summer, I came upon this tasty little brew at my local package store. Being a lover of blueberry flavored beers and stout, I gave it a shot. I was surprised that the blueberry flavor wasn't sickly sweet, and was well-balanced and didn't have a fake flavor to it. The sweetness from the fruit is balanced out with the toast of the stout. I enjoyed the six pack, and went back to buy more. I found it greatly refreshing on a warm day, and it went very well with burgers. My local didn't have any more, so I ordered it. I was told it was a winter seasonal and that I'd have to wait a few months to get more. I happened to buy the last one leftover from the last batch. When I can find it, it's a mainstay in my fridge.

4.24/5  rDev +26.9%

Quite dark with a think white head and solid carbination. Looked a bit like Coca-cola from afar. Blueberry's dominate the scent, and they are quite strong in the taste. The oatmeal and hoppiness balances out excellently. A tad heavy in the mouth, but goes down smooth and without an aftertaste.

A friend brought over a six pack and forgot it in my fridge. Quite a pleasant suprise and hey, it's tough to beat free beer!

4.24/5  rDev +26.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

This beer was served out of a 12oz. bottle dispensed into a glass....

Presentation - Very colorful label with nice artwork. Nice but nothing great.

Appearance - Pours out a deep dark brown with a 1 finger tan head head that dissipates rather quickly into a thin foam ring. Very little lacing left on the glass.

Smell - Smells of sweet blueberry with hints of chocolate and toasted malts. Smell is absolutely fabulous!

Taste - Tastes very heavy on the sweet blueberry and chocolate on the front end before giving way to a very nice toasted oat and coffee taste on the back end. Very well balanced.

Mouthfeel - Light bodied with not much carbonation but still retains a creamy mouthfeel.

Drinkability - Easy to drink because of the flavor and light bodied feel, however, I would classify this a bit of a dessert beer.

I enjoyed this offering overall and would try this again if I had the chance. As I've said I would classify this a bit of a dessert beer and that is not meant to be a derogatory observation.

4.24/5  rDev +26.9%

pours a very dark brown/black with next to no head, only a beige ring around the glass.

smells very malty with a mix of blueberry.

strong, bold taste. smokey with a blueberry hint. complex taste. the blueberry hint is what lingers. this is a rather smooth brew, especially for a stout.

good drinkability, although I'm not sure if I could handle more than one or two at a time.

4.23/5  rDev +26.6%

Pours a deep black with moderate head. Aroma of blueberries and roasted malt. Smooth oatmeal moderated taste with blueberries quickly followed by roasted malt and a lightly bitter finish of the burnt malt. Very easy to drink and enjoyable to the end. Not a beer for hopheads, but anyone else would enjoy.

4.2/5  rDev +25.7%

L: Pours a nice black color with a medium bodied and medium sized tan colored head that left some lacing down the sides of the glass.
S: Smells of sweet roasted malts, sweet blueberry (extract I believe), darker coffee and chocolate aromas and a sweetness from something like brown sugar.
T: Tastes of sweet roasted malts, sweet blueberry, chewy oatmeal, some brown sugary sweetness, and hints of coffee and chocolate. The blueberry is there but isn't overpowering like in some fruit beers. This one meshes the flavors nicely so you can tell it's a stout with some blueberry flavors in it.
M: Rich, smooth, medium bodied feeling, perfect amount of carbonation.
D: Pretty drinkable, this was a nice take on the style. Mixed the flavors very well together and a great feel to it.

4.14/5  rDev +24%

I just happen to see this beer on the shelve for the 1st time last Friday after work, so I thought Id try it since I like beer with flavor. It looked good. Well It is good. Good taste smell and 7.5% to boot with no nasty after after taste. Awesome If you like stout beer youll enjoy this brew very much.

4.12/5  rDev +23.4%

A – Nice stout. Dark brown, tan head that reduces to a thin ring, little lace. Also some strange sediment.

S – Blueberry and booze, not much else. Smells good

T – Peppery tasting stout, with blueberry flavor on the finish. The blueberry lasts a long time after a swig. It seems that the peppery flavor comes from the hop. This beer has very little malt presence given the style. Not overly fruity, either. It has a discernable alcohol twang, which is surprising as it is a relatively mellow for a 2x stout.

M – I like it, very refreshing, not too syrupy, on the heavier side of medium-bodied, with a lil sharp carbonation.

D – This beer is palatable and just overall good; it is one of the best applications of blueberry that I can recall. Probably not the choice for RIS drinkers, though.

4.12/5  rDev +23.4%

The beer poured a nice dark rich color with specks of oatmeal dancing around in the glass. A nice hint of blueberry aroma, which was not in any way overpowering. The beer was smooth going down with more hints of blueberries and malts. A very enjoyable beer.

4.1/5  rDev +22.8%

A - An impressive dark black with very little head that forums a moderate lace

S - Blueberries ahoy! It smells rich and nice maybe slightly artificial but I like it that way.

T - Very good. I can taste some stout components like chocolate that quickly moves to a more fruity berry like taste. Even though kind of novelty it clashes well! Great blueberry taste

M - Seriously 7.5 ABV? I thought it was 5! Light to medium at best

D - Overall whats to expect? You get blueberry full of flavor and smell on top of slight chocolate and bitter tones of a stout. Simple but perfect. If this sticks around I may pick up a whole sixer on the cheap. Good brew!

4.09/5  rDev +22.5%

Poured into a Chimay goblet. No readable freshness date.

A- Pours a mostly opaque black color with a 1/2 inch of head that quickly dissipates to a paper-thin ring around the edge of the glass and some light surface foam.

S- Plenty of sweet blueberry notes and not a whole lot else.

T- Spicy and slightly tart blueberry that's relatively intense but not so much that it's a sugary overload. Pretty well-balanced compared to other blueberry beers. Could be due to the oatmeal characteristic. Some black pepper notes linger as well.

M- Slick and creamy making it fun to drink. Also kind of light for a stout. Medium-low carbonation.

O- A very enjoyable brew in all aspects. I'm beginning to think there may be something to this Buffalo Bill's.

4.09/5  rDev +22.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Black, khaki head
Smell is blueberry. Its sweet. Roasty
Sweet blueberry. Cream, roasty, slight coffee
Smooth, silky. But my taste buds got wiped out afterwards its a very strong flavor. Hides that abv so well.

This is an excellent beer. One is enough and it wipes your taste out but its so good. A shame to have such a low rating.

4.08/5  rDev +22.2%

Black as pitch and flavorful. Had at the Old Millstream Inn in St. Charles,MO a few years ago. Posting the review from notes.

-Pours like a stout should, nearly opaque black. Roasted malts in the nose along with blueberries. Overall an excellent oatmeal stout. Would have again if time warrants it.

4.07/5  rDev +21.9%

A- This beer looks amazing once it is out of the bottle and in the glass. Has a redish wine tint.

S-SMELLS LIKE BLUEBERRIES! Awesome smell, couldnt wait to drink it!

T- Its a little blah when if comes to the first taste. After drinking it for a bit you can taste the blueberries everytime you breathe. I would say the aftertaste is what made it 3.5 for me, first taste is more of a 2.

M- No head on the beer, wish it had some sort of head. Other than that its not bad going down or anything like that. It was from the bottle so im guessing fresh it would have a head.

O-Ill buy this one again

4.07/5  rDev +21.9%

Browsing around the Bottle King in Glen Ridge, I saw something that immediately caught my eye... "Blueberry Oatmeal Stout"... not one to pass up an invitation on so interesting a combination, I was eager to give this one a try, being a fan of blueberries in general and having a strong liking for oatmeal stouts, this was certainly something different... My only other beer from this company was their pumpkin ale, which I really enjoyed, so I decided to give this one a go... Pours a deep, dark, chocolate color that gave way to a decent amount of foam that lingered for a bit... Smell is out-of-this world, with a very strong aroma of fresh blueberries that just bursts out...The taste was somewhat peculiar... different, but very satisfying... the blueberry element was definitely there, but stronger in smell than in taste... the stout flavor really pulls through, and the brew packs quite a punch with a hefty 7.5% alcohol content... Mouthfeel was good, but being such a strange combination with a pretty high alcohol content, drinkability is only average, as I wouldn't want to down more than two in a single setting... If you can find this one, definitely recommended...

Had a bottle of this at the Cloverleaf Tavern in West Caldwell, NJ

A: Pours a dark brown body with a small, brown head. Pretty poor retention, but decent lacing along the top of the beer and along the glass.

S: Kind of a tart, blueberry smell.

T: A nice, blueberry taste with a roasted coffee aftertaste. Hints of a chocolate was also evident in the aftertaste. The beer kind of reminded me of chocolate covered blueberries.

M: A nice, silky, full-bodied mouthfeel that was pleasant to the palette.

D: A very drinkable beer. Excellent taste with a very good, smooth mouthfeel to compliment the taste. Definitely a well-rounded beer that I would highly recommend.

4.06/5  rDev +21.6%

12oz single, i think from barriques on PD (a true gem of a beer store / general establishment)

appearance: pours into an imperial pint glass - big bold mahogany body with a huge (but well maintained) head and terrific retention...extremely nice looking beer to say the least

smell: sharp blueberry aroma, creamy, lightly roasted malts and oats...not much more to say about the aroma - about what you would expect from the title

taste: this is a good beer! the blueberry plays out really well for this one - its strong enough to be a major player but its not overly cloying either...the stout traits are downplayed but lightly roasted malts and oats play a nice complimenting factor to the berry - check it out

mouthfeel: a little sweet

drinkability: ok

4.05/5  rDev +21.3%

12 ounce bottle poured into a Unibroue tulip. Light beige, one finger head lingers above a black body. Aroma is of blueberry, and maybe some toasted malts. I suppose it smells about what I expected after having Buffalo Bill's Pumpkin. Smells refreshing actually. Taste is less sweet than expected after considering the aroma. No alcohol heat noted. Taste is malty with notes of blueberry of course. Pretty smooth. Overall, not very complex, but a very tasty treat...and interesting and pleasing.

Buffalo Bill's Blueberry Oatmeal Stout from Buffalo Bill's Brewery