2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Buffalo Bill's Blueberry Oatmeal Stout - Buffalo Bill's Brewery

Buffalo Bill's Blueberry Oatmeal StoutBuffalo Bill's Blueberry Oatmeal Stout

good

Buffalo Bill's Brewery visit their website

Oatmeal Stout |  7.50% ABV

At 7.5% alcohol, this award-winning brew is a true winter warmer. Blueberry Oatmeal Stout has hints of chocolate, oatmeal and fresh blueberries. A wonderful pairing of flavors! Great for the holidays and for those who enjoy discovering new beers.

(Beer added by: dsa7783 on 12-22-2007)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Buffalo Bill's Blueberry Oatmeal Stout Alström Bros
Ratings: 422 | Reviews: 230 | Show All Ratings:
Katahdin

4.7/5  rDev +42.9%

Not what i was expecting at all. An interesting Bluberry beer that pours far darker and heavier than most fruit beers. The Stout gives ita good, full body and the blueberry aroma is definitely there but not overwhelming. Tastes very smooth on the mouth and was very easily drinkable. An excellent winter beer, with a summer taste.

12-09-2009 21:18:44 | More by Katahdin
Kamuimusackie

4.65/5  rDev +41.3%

I may be coming out of the woodwork with this review but I find this beer to be deliciously exceptional.

The aroma literally jumps out and kicks your nose with an impact that you will remember. What does it smell like exactly? It smells EXACTLY like blueberry oatmeal and the smell stays true throughout the brew.

What does it taste like? If you can imagine blueberry oatmeal being a beer, that is what it tastes like as well. And at 7.5%, who could complain? Maybe I drink too much I can't even come close to tasting the alcohol.

I only bought this because the place I buy from ran out of top shelf beers and I just grabbed this as a gag. I thought it was just a beer brewed with blueberries but then I found out it was an oatmeal stout as well. What a pleasant surprise!

If you like blueberries and high percent alcohol in your beer (who doesn't?), I'd suggest picking this up to try immediatly. It's a definite vacation from the beer you are use to drinking and almost like a breathe of fresh air from a new light, never tasted or smelled before. Step up, and SMELL THE LIGHT!

Edit: I just bought another 6-pack of this and it lacks a bit from the other one's I've had. I think this is the kind of beer that has much variation from each brew they make. If you didn't like it the first time, give it a try again- maybe it'll be from one of the better brews they did.

04-14-2009 02:21:01 | More by Kamuimusackie
forceten

4.5/5  rDev +36.8%

This is a good beer! I was interested to try it because I enjoyed Buffalo Bill's Orange Blossom Cream Ale, but did not enjoy their Pumpkin Ale at all... so I figured this would be the final coin flip.

I was not disappointed - it's a typical quality oatmeal stout in appearance and mouthfeel. But it has a subtle but noticeable blueberry nose. The blueberry flavor is similarly subtle but pleasant and noticeable in the taste - a surprisingly good match with the sweeter oatmeal stout style. This beer is a candidate for a session beer, and might even be a good stout to drink well into spring.

04-08-2008 03:48:33 | More by forceten
lumikuuro

British Columbia (Canada)

4.45/5  rDev +35.3%

Appearance: Very dark brown, thin off white head with very little retention or lace. Some sediment. Not much like a stout.

Aroma: Blueberry, lavender. Interesting.

Taste: Blueberry, lavender, liquorice. Hint of chocolate. Very smooth, perhaps from the oatmeal. Slight sweetness, no bitterness. Maybe soapy or medicinal but in a good way. Doesn't really taste like a stout, but there is something very moreish about the flavours.

Mouthfeel: Full bodied, a little dry.

Drinkability: A good sipper, and surprisingly moreish. Just expect something unusual and you'll be satisfied.

09-05-2010 01:35:13 | More by lumikuuro
hophead247

4.38/5  rDev +33.1%

As a local to Buffalo Bill's I get to experience alot of their beer from the tap, but picked up a sixer of this at bevmo and it didn't dissapoint.

Poured a nice dark color, like it should, and left the perfect head...because of my pouring expertise. I love oatmeal stout's so I was excited to see it added with blueberries, and Buffalo Bill's did not let me down. Oh good Lord, it smelled like those blueberry pancakes mama used to make, but not too strong, just enough to taste the berries. The taste was great too..a great balanced stout with just the right flavor of the berry. Went down nice and smooth...all 6 of them

01-27-2009 05:27:43 | More by hophead247
Jeff_Newell

4.28/5  rDev +30.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

This past summer, I came upon this tasty little brew at my local package store. Being a lover of blueberry flavored beers and stout, I gave it a shot. I was surprised that the blueberry flavor wasn't sickly sweet, and was well-balanced and didn't have a fake flavor to it. The sweetness from the fruit is balanced out with the toast of the stout. I enjoyed the six pack, and went back to buy more. I found it greatly refreshing on a warm day, and it went very well with burgers. My local didn't have any more, so I ordered it. I was told it was a winter seasonal and that I'd have to wait a few months to get more. I happened to buy the last one leftover from the last batch. When I can find it, it's a mainstay in my fridge.

02-07-2014 14:20:27 | More by Jeff_Newell
thegodfather1076

4.25/5  rDev +29.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

This beer was served out of a 12oz. bottle dispensed into a glass....

Presentation - Very colorful label with nice artwork. Nice but nothing great.

Appearance - Pours out a deep dark brown with a 1 finger tan head head that dissipates rather quickly into a thin foam ring. Very little lacing left on the glass.

Smell - Smells of sweet blueberry with hints of chocolate and toasted malts. Smell is absolutely fabulous!

Taste - Tastes very heavy on the sweet blueberry and chocolate on the front end before giving way to a very nice toasted oat and coffee taste on the back end. Very well balanced.

Mouthfeel - Light bodied with not much carbonation but still retains a creamy mouthfeel.

Drinkability - Easy to drink because of the flavor and light bodied feel, however, I would classify this a bit of a dessert beer.

I enjoyed this offering overall and would try this again if I had the chance. As I've said I would classify this a bit of a dessert beer and that is not meant to be a derogatory observation.

03-15-2012 02:58:40 | More by thegodfather1076
erosier

Connecticut

4.22/5  rDev +28.3%

L: Pours a nice black color with a medium bodied and medium sized tan colored head that left some lacing down the sides of the glass.
S: Smells of sweet roasted malts, sweet blueberry (extract I believe), darker coffee and chocolate aromas and a sweetness from something like brown sugar.
T: Tastes of sweet roasted malts, sweet blueberry, chewy oatmeal, some brown sugary sweetness, and hints of coffee and chocolate. The blueberry is there but isn't overpowering like in some fruit beers. This one meshes the flavors nicely so you can tell it's a stout with some blueberry flavors in it.
M: Rich, smooth, medium bodied feeling, perfect amount of carbonation.
D: Pretty drinkable, this was a nice take on the style. Mixed the flavors very well together and a great feel to it.

02-08-2011 11:38:30 | More by erosier
7beerphil

Maryland

4.2/5  rDev +27.7%

pours a very dark brown/black with next to no head, only a beige ring around the glass.

smells very malty with a mix of blueberry.

strong, bold taste. smokey with a blueberry hint. complex taste. the blueberry hint is what lingers. this is a rather smooth brew, especially for a stout.

good drinkability, although I'm not sure if I could handle more than one or two at a time.

12-18-2010 04:53:56 | More by 7beerphil
ktrillionaire

4.15/5  rDev +26.1%

A – Nice stout. Dark brown, tan head that reduces to a thin ring, little lace. Also some strange sediment.

S – Blueberry and booze, not much else. Smells good

T – Peppery tasting stout, with blueberry flavor on the finish. The blueberry lasts a long time after a swig. It seems that the peppery flavor comes from the hop. This beer has very little malt presence given the style. Not overly fruity, either. It has a discernable alcohol twang, which is surprising as it is a relatively mellow for a 2x stout.

M – I like it, very refreshing, not too syrupy, on the heavier side of medium-bodied, with a lil sharp carbonation.

D – This beer is palatable and just overall good; it is one of the best applications of blueberry that I can recall. Probably not the choice for RIS drinkers, though.

01-31-2010 07:08:21 | More by ktrillionaire
Haruspex

Nebraska

4.14/5  rDev +25.8%

I just happen to see this beer on the shelve for the 1st time last Friday after work, so I thought Id try it since I like beer with flavor. It looked good. Well It is good. Good taste smell and 7.5% to boot with no nasty after after taste. Awesome If you like stout beer youll enjoy this brew very much.

01-28-2014 01:10:29 | More by Haruspex
Buschyfor3

Kentucky

4.13/5  rDev +25.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a trust, deep walled 14oz mug.

A: Pours a deep mahogany brown with just the faintest ruby highlights when held up to a light. Pour produces a thin, slightly creamy sandy colored head that quickly reduces to a ring of lacing.

S: On opening the bottle, the first whiff is pure blueberry goodness. I love the way this beers smells, but that can be the kiss of death because there have been other fruit beers I tried that smelled awesome and I had high hopes for but they came up lacking in the taste and drinkability departments (yes, I'm thinking of you Banana Bread beer). Aside from the rush of blueberry fruitiness, I can faintly pick out what I assume is the toasted oats and roasted malts comprising malt backbone of this stout. Smells great.

T: First sip is surprisingly a lot like the nose. A distinct, mild blueberry sweetness hits up front but is quickly moderated by the onrush of toasted oats that impart a chalky, oatmeal flavor. Mid sip, there is a tinge of hop bitterness, but it too fades into a slight smoky, toasted bready flavor. The aftertaste begins with some residual blueberry sweetness but dries out into a chalky, bready flavor that encourages another sip to refresh the blueberry sweetness on the palate.

M: To be honest, it might be kind of thin for the style, but I wouldn't call this beer watery by any means. Mouthfeel just isn't as full as other stouts, but still does produce a slightly sticky, oily slickness that you expect from an imperial stout.

D: 7.5% ABV but I can't find it at all in the nose or taste, and I'm not really feeling any warming sensation in my stomach. I know the alcohol is there, but where??? Realistically, the Blueberry Oatmeal Stout is probably on the low end in terms of ABV for an imperial stout, and that only makes this brew easier to quaff. Could easily drink a couple of these without any problem, and would enjoy every drop of blueberry and oatmeal goodness.

Another BA described the taste as liquid blueberry oatmeal, and that pretty much nails this beer on the head. So damn delicious if you ask me and at 7.5% ABV, it is hidden beneath the waves of blueberry sweetness. Some people dislike beers that are too sweet, but I must say this brew strikes a nice balance between fruity sweetness and the oats and malts. An easy drinking stout and while it may seem gimmicky and I did pick it up on a whim, I'm glad I picked it up. A darkhorse that may find its way into a regular rotation in my fridge that is constantly stocked with stouts. Recommended.

06-01-2009 04:45:03 | More by Buschyfor3
LuthersMug

4.1/5  rDev +24.6%

The beer poured a nice dark rich color with specks of oatmeal dancing around in the glass. A nice hint of blueberry aroma, which was not in any way overpowering. The beer was smooth going down with more hints of blueberries and malts. A very enjoyable beer.

06-01-2010 02:18:30 | More by LuthersMug
DrDemento456

4.1/5  rDev +24.6%

A - An impressive dark black with very little head that forums a moderate lace

S - Blueberries ahoy! It smells rich and nice maybe slightly artificial but I like it that way.

T - Very good. I can taste some stout components like chocolate that quickly moves to a more fruity berry like taste. Even though kind of novelty it clashes well! Great blueberry taste

M - Seriously 7.5 ABV? I thought it was 5! Light to medium at best

D - Overall whats to expect? You get blueberry full of flavor and smell on top of slight chocolate and bitter tones of a stout. Simple but perfect. If this sticks around I may pick up a whole sixer on the cheap. Good brew!

01-11-2011 05:41:35 | More by DrDemento456
Immortale25

4.1/5  rDev +24.6%

Poured into a Chimay goblet. No readable freshness date.

A- Pours a mostly opaque black color with a 1/2 inch of head that quickly dissipates to a paper-thin ring around the edge of the glass and some light surface foam.

S- Plenty of sweet blueberry notes and not a whole lot else.

T- Spicy and slightly tart blueberry that's relatively intense but not so much that it's a sugary overload. Pretty well-balanced compared to other blueberry beers. Could be due to the oatmeal characteristic. Some black pepper notes linger as well.

M- Slick and creamy making it fun to drink. Also kind of light for a stout. Medium-low carbonation.

O- A very enjoyable brew in all aspects. I'm beginning to think there may be something to this Buffalo Bill's.

12-18-2011 05:33:15 | More by Immortale25
maddogruss

4.08/5  rDev +24%

Had a bottle of this at the Cloverleaf Tavern in West Caldwell, NJ

A: Pours a dark brown body with a small, brown head. Pretty poor retention, but decent lacing along the top of the beer and along the glass.

S: Kind of a tart, blueberry smell.

T: A nice, blueberry taste with a roasted coffee aftertaste. Hints of a chocolate was also evident in the aftertaste. The beer kind of reminded me of chocolate covered blueberries.

M: A nice, silky, full-bodied mouthfeel that was pleasant to the palette.

D: A very drinkable beer. Excellent taste with a very good, smooth mouthfeel to compliment the taste. Definitely a well-rounded beer that I would highly recommend.

02-24-2008 03:45:49 | More by maddogruss
dirtylou

Washington

4.05/5  rDev +23.1%

12oz single, i think from barriques on PD (a true gem of a beer store / general establishment)

appearance: pours into an imperial pint glass - big bold mahogany body with a huge (but well maintained) head and terrific retention...extremely nice looking beer to say the least

smell: sharp blueberry aroma, creamy, lightly roasted malts and oats...not much more to say about the aroma - about what you would expect from the title

taste: this is a good beer! the blueberry plays out really well for this one - its strong enough to be a major player but its not overly cloying either...the stout traits are downplayed but lightly roasted malts and oats play a nice complimenting factor to the berry - check it out

mouthfeel: a little sweet

drinkability: ok

06-05-2008 04:19:38 | More by dirtylou
garcia2a

4.05/5  rDev +23.1%

Pours a deep opaque brown with a fine creamy head that was retained for most of the enjoying.

The bouquet is an odd mix of roasted grains, sweet malts and blueberries. For me, it worked. The taste had at first a sweet acidy-bueberry bite. Subsequent sips yielded an interesting mix of sweet malt and berries.

The body is good for a beer of this style and has excellent mouthfeel. Thisi is a very drinkable beer, good as a session ale.

12-12-2008 21:29:28 | More by garcia2a
KickbacksSteve

4.05/5  rDev +23.1%

12 ounce bottle poured into a Unibroue tulip. Light beige, one finger head lingers above a black body. Aroma is of blueberry, and maybe some toasted malts. I suppose it smells about what I expected after having Buffalo Bill's Pumpkin. Smells refreshing actually. Taste is less sweet than expected after considering the aroma. No alcohol heat noted. Taste is malty with notes of blueberry of course. Pretty smooth. Overall, not very complex, but a very tasty treat...and interesting and pleasing.

12-31-2009 09:23:33 | More by KickbacksSteve
dsa7783

4.03/5  rDev +22.5%

Browsing around the Bottle King in Glen Ridge, I saw something that immediately caught my eye... "Blueberry Oatmeal Stout"... not one to pass up an invitation on so interesting a combination, I was eager to give this one a try, being a fan of blueberries in general and having a strong liking for oatmeal stouts, this was certainly something different... My only other beer from this company was their pumpkin ale, which I really enjoyed, so I decided to give this one a go... Pours a deep, dark, chocolate color that gave way to a decent amount of foam that lingered for a bit... Smell is out-of-this world, with a very strong aroma of fresh blueberries that just bursts out...The taste was somewhat peculiar... different, but very satisfying... the blueberry element was definitely there, but stronger in smell than in taste... the stout flavor really pulls through, and the brew packs quite a punch with a hefty 7.5% alcohol content... Mouthfeel was good, but being such a strange combination with a pretty high alcohol content, drinkability is only average, as I wouldn't want to down more than two in a single setting... If you can find this one, definitely recommended...

12-22-2007 00:54:17 | More by dsa7783
RblWthACoz

4.03/5  rDev +22.5%

Pours black with a tan head. Quite a bit of lacing on the way down. Nose is almost like coffee tones and blueberry. Flavor carries the blueberry too of course, but there is a biting tang that kind of detracts a bit. Still it is decent though. Pretty robust character overall. Sweet tangy tones are there for sure. Feel has a biting carbonation a bit and the liquid is fairly well bodied. Overall this is a pretty decent fruit stout. I can't say I have had a lot of them, but this one is working pretty well.

06-10-2008 13:57:40 | More by RblWthACoz
matty

4.03/5  rDev +22.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Black colored beer with a rapidly fading head.Aroma is blueberry pie with fudge sauce.Taste also is blueberries and cocoa powder.Very smooth and goes down like silk.I thought this was a pretty damn good beer and would highly recommend.I'm pretty sure I will be buying this again shortly.

05-16-2010 06:27:45 | More by matty
Knapp85

4.03/5  rDev +22.5%

This beer was something I picked up just by chance. The pour was very nice, solid black and a large brown head. Really nice lacing. The smell of the beer has a great aroma of blueberry and roasted malts. The taste of the beer is also rather impressive too, it takes like a toasted blueberry muffin. It's sweet but bitter too. The mouthfeel was pretty thick feeling. Overall I really like this brew a lot. I look forward to trying it again one day.

06-27-2011 03:58:36 | More by Knapp85
srandycarter

Okay, it is weird. Having said that...

A - Very dark to black, small head leaves to disk. Tight bubbled small lacing.

S - BLUEBERRIES. It's true. How fun. I have a hard time discerning the malt around it.

T - Malt is 50/50 with the blueberries. Would never have anticipated this pairing, but I kind of like it.

M - Medium body, good balance, no complaints.

D - Fun, but could get tiring.

05-06-2009 06:25:38 | More by srandycarter
Beerandraiderfan

Nevada

Black beer, not much head or lacing.

Great unconventional beer. Was skeptical at first, but then decided that was all the more reason to check it out. Blueberry is present, but not overwhelming. Plays well with the roasted malt, can't really decipher any typical coffee or chocolate notes with the malt, kind of muted by the blueberry I guess.

The hops are noticeable, but nowhere near overwhelming. The alcohol is amazingly hidden, as this is a decently potent stout.

I dunno why the reviews are so "meh" about this beer, maybe its from people who don't like stouts, or only like conventional stouts, or are turned off by the fact that it is contract brewed, corporate hands (the people who hate "corporations" sure seem to be judgmental and close minded, but that's another topic) on it or who knows, maybe they just don't like this stout. I happen to like it very much.

11-24-2009 22:35:44 | More by Beerandraiderfan