Buffalo Bill's Blueberry Oatmeal Stout - Buffalo Bill's Brewery

Buffalo Bill's Blueberry Oatmeal StoutBuffalo Bill's Blueberry Oatmeal Stout

good

Buffalo Bill's Brewery visit their website

Oatmeal Stout |  7.50% ABV

At 7.5% alcohol, this award-winning brew is a true winter warmer. Blueberry Oatmeal Stout has hints of chocolate, oatmeal and fresh blueberries. A wonderful pairing of flavors! Great for the holidays and for those who enjoy discovering new beers.

(Beer added by: dsa7783 on 12-22-2007)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Buffalo Bill's Blueberry Oatmeal Stout Alström Bros

cmonfradi, Nov 29, 2011

Selderkin, Jan 19, 2013
4.7/5  rDev +42.9%

Not what i was expecting at all. An interesting Bluberry beer that pours far darker and heavier than most fruit beers. The Stout gives ita good, full body and the blueberry aroma is definitely there but not overwhelming. Tastes very smooth on the mouth and was very easily drinkable. An excellent winter beer, with a summer taste.

Katahdin, Dec 09, 2009
4.65/5  rDev +41.3%

I may be coming out of the woodwork with this review but I find this beer to be deliciously exceptional.

The aroma literally jumps out and kicks your nose with an impact that you will remember. What does it smell like exactly? It smells EXACTLY like blueberry oatmeal and the smell stays true throughout the brew.

What does it taste like? If you can imagine blueberry oatmeal being a beer, that is what it tastes like as well. And at 7.5%, who could complain? Maybe I drink too much I can't even come close to tasting the alcohol.

I only bought this because the place I buy from ran out of top shelf beers and I just grabbed this as a gag. I thought it was just a beer brewed with blueberries but then I found out it was an oatmeal stout as well. What a pleasant surprise!

If you like blueberries and high percent alcohol in your beer (who doesn't?), I'd suggest picking this up to try immediatly. It's a definite vacation from the beer you are use to drinking and almost like a breathe of fresh air from a new light, never tasted or smelled before. Step up, and SMELL THE LIGHT!

Edit: I just bought another 6-pack of this and it lacks a bit from the other one's I've had. I think this is the kind of beer that has much variation from each brew they make. If you didn't like it the first time, give it a try again- maybe it'll be from one of the better brews they did.

Kamuimusackie, Apr 14, 2009

riotinmyskull, Dec 15, 2011
4.5/5  rDev +36.8%

This is a good beer! I was interested to try it because I enjoyed Buffalo Bill's Orange Blossom Cream Ale, but did not enjoy their Pumpkin Ale at all... so I figured this would be the final coin flip.

I was not disappointed - it's a typical quality oatmeal stout in appearance and mouthfeel. But it has a subtle but noticeable blueberry nose. The blueberry flavor is similarly subtle but pleasant and noticeable in the taste - a surprisingly good match with the sweeter oatmeal stout style. This beer is a candidate for a session beer, and might even be a good stout to drink well into spring.

forceten, Apr 08, 2008

KC9LDB, Feb 16, 2013

creez, Mar 09, 2012

OoReFLuXoO, Feb 02, 2012
4.45/5  rDev +35.3%

Appearance: Very dark brown, thin off white head with very little retention or lace. Some sediment. Not much like a stout.

Aroma: Blueberry, lavender. Interesting.

Taste: Blueberry, lavender, liquorice. Hint of chocolate. Very smooth, perhaps from the oatmeal. Slight sweetness, no bitterness. Maybe soapy or medicinal but in a good way. Doesn't really taste like a stout, but there is something very moreish about the flavours.

Mouthfeel: Full bodied, a little dry.

Drinkability: A good sipper, and surprisingly moreish. Just expect something unusual and you'll be satisfied.

lumikuuro, Sep 05, 2010
4.38/5  rDev +33.1%

As a local to Buffalo Bill's I get to experience alot of their beer from the tap, but picked up a sixer of this at bevmo and it didn't dissapoint.

Poured a nice dark color, like it should, and left the perfect head...because of my pouring expertise. I love oatmeal stout's so I was excited to see it added with blueberries, and Buffalo Bill's did not let me down. Oh good Lord, it smelled like those blueberry pancakes mama used to make, but not too strong, just enough to taste the berries. The taste was great too..a great balanced stout with just the right flavor of the berry. Went down nice and smooth...all 6 of them

hophead247, Jan 27, 2009
4.28/5  rDev +30.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

This past summer, I came upon this tasty little brew at my local package store. Being a lover of blueberry flavored beers and stout, I gave it a shot. I was surprised that the blueberry flavor wasn't sickly sweet, and was well-balanced and didn't have a fake flavor to it. The sweetness from the fruit is balanced out with the toast of the stout. I enjoyed the six pack, and went back to buy more. I found it greatly refreshing on a warm day, and it went very well with burgers. My local didn't have any more, so I ordered it. I was told it was a winter seasonal and that I'd have to wait a few months to get more. I happened to buy the last one leftover from the last batch. When I can find it, it's a mainstay in my fridge.

Jeff_Newell, Feb 07, 2014

broller, Aug 23, 2012

Links41, Jul 24, 2014

keywestgourmet, Dec 31, 2012

arc3636, Apr 15, 2013
4.25/5  rDev +29.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

This beer was served out of a 12oz. bottle dispensed into a glass....

Presentation - Very colorful label with nice artwork. Nice but nothing great.

Appearance - Pours out a deep dark brown with a 1 finger tan head head that dissipates rather quickly into a thin foam ring. Very little lacing left on the glass.

Smell - Smells of sweet blueberry with hints of chocolate and toasted malts. Smell is absolutely fabulous!

Taste - Tastes very heavy on the sweet blueberry and chocolate on the front end before giving way to a very nice toasted oat and coffee taste on the back end. Very well balanced.

Mouthfeel - Light bodied with not much carbonation but still retains a creamy mouthfeel.

Drinkability - Easy to drink because of the flavor and light bodied feel, however, I would classify this a bit of a dessert beer.

I enjoyed this offering overall and would try this again if I had the chance. As I've said I would classify this a bit of a dessert beer and that is not meant to be a derogatory observation.

thegodfather1076, Mar 15, 2012

JLB025, Aug 04, 2014
4.22/5  rDev +28.3%

L: Pours a nice black color with a medium bodied and medium sized tan colored head that left some lacing down the sides of the glass.
S: Smells of sweet roasted malts, sweet blueberry (extract I believe), darker coffee and chocolate aromas and a sweetness from something like brown sugar.
T: Tastes of sweet roasted malts, sweet blueberry, chewy oatmeal, some brown sugary sweetness, and hints of coffee and chocolate. The blueberry is there but isn't overpowering like in some fruit beers. This one meshes the flavors nicely so you can tell it's a stout with some blueberry flavors in it.
M: Rich, smooth, medium bodied feeling, perfect amount of carbonation.
D: Pretty drinkable, this was a nice take on the style. Mixed the flavors very well together and a great feel to it.

erosier, Feb 08, 2011
4.21/5  rDev +28%

Quite dark with a think white head and solid carbination. Looked a bit like Coca-cola from afar. Blueberry's dominate the scent, and they are quite strong in the taste. The oatmeal and hoppiness balances out excellently. A tad heavy in the mouth, but goes down smooth and without an aftertaste.

A friend brought over a six pack and forgot it in my fridge. Quite a pleasant suprise and hey, it's tough to beat free beer!

S_Weinstein95, Aug 09, 2014
4.2/5  rDev +27.7%

pours a very dark brown/black with next to no head, only a beige ring around the glass.

smells very malty with a mix of blueberry.

strong, bold taste. smokey with a blueberry hint. complex taste. the blueberry hint is what lingers. this is a rather smooth brew, especially for a stout.

good drinkability, although I'm not sure if I could handle more than one or two at a time.

7beerphil, Dec 18, 2010