Buffalo Bill's Blueberry Oatmeal Stout - Buffalo Bill's Brewery

Buffalo Bill's Blueberry Oatmeal StoutBuffalo Bill's Blueberry Oatmeal Stout

good

Buffalo Bill's Brewery visit their website

Oatmeal Stout |  7.50% ABV

At 7.5% alcohol, this award-winning brew is a true winter warmer. Blueberry Oatmeal Stout has hints of chocolate, oatmeal and fresh blueberries. A wonderful pairing of flavors! Great for the holidays and for those who enjoy discovering new beers.

(Beer added by: dsa7783 on 12-22-2007)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Buffalo Bill's Blueberry Oatmeal Stout Alström Bros

1.1/5  rDev -66.7%

Beer advocate let me down on this one. I checked it out, saw it in the cooler, so decided to try it. From the pour, which had so much carbonation, that it took 5 minutes to get the head down. The beer was literally 90% head and 10% beer, even with a slow pour. The smell had a hint of blueberries which was pleasant. The taste was horrible, I cannot describe how it hit my palette.
I tried one out of the glass, one out of the bottle. To make sure it wasn't me, I gave one to a friend which turned out to be a cruel joke but extremely funny.

1.2/5  rDev -63.6%

Wow. Talk about regretting a beer purchase... Oatmeal stouts are my go to so when I saw this on the shelf for $30 for the case and 7.5% I figured what the hell ill look it up on BA. At a score of ~80 I went for it. I didn't expect it to be GREAT or anything but for the price figured ill try something a little bit different.

A - normal dark brown/black stout pour. Didn't really spend a lot of time scoping the color because I was too busy waiting for the ridiculous head to settle. 1/3 of the beer with a gentle pour and the beer was erupting into 2-3 inches of head.

S - fairly moderate and tame smell for a stout. Not a lot to take in, small wafts of something sweet and not reckognized.

T - this is an oatmeal stout? I guess. I'm not sure what else you could classify it is so it was their best option. Tastes like what you would imagine acid would taste without burning you. Blatantly unnatural. Not even going to try to analyze this one. Yes there is trace "blueberry" taste but nothing pleasant. It's a chaotic clash of bitter chalky crappy stout characteristics and fake blueberry extract.

M - wow. This is where this beer just goes from poor to shameful. Every sip erupts in your mouth like baking soda and vinegar in the most unpleasant and undrinkable fashion. Precisely the same nuisance that occurred in the pour is now occurring with every sip. And forget about drinking more than 2 of these. That many had me feeling like I hit an all you can eat buffet. But then again, did I really want any more of these?

overall - I can't figure out how this beer mustered an 80ish? I feel bamboozled. Conclusion? Non beer drinking, fruit loving, Stella Artois praising yuppies have sampled this concoction and deduced its dessert sounding name equated to a decadent brew. Steer clear stout lovers, don't make the same mistake as I did. Anyone want to buy 22 more of these?

1.25/5  rDev -62.1%

1.25/5  rDev -62.1%

1.4/5  rDev -57.6%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a glass.

A: Your typical black stout. No light passes through...a small light head forms.
S: Little bit of blueberry in the nose, also a chemical like odor, fairly unpleasant.
T: Unfortunately, the taste of this beer reminded me very much of vomit. It had a harsh taste up front, a faint touch of blueberry on the palate, and then had the finish of bad artificial sweetener. Very unpleasant.
M: Somewhat thin in body.
D: I was really looking forward to this stout. It was a complete letdown for me. The taste was awful, and I could barely finish one beer. This was the closest I've ever come to a drain pour.

1.5/5  rDev -54.5%

1.6/5  rDev -51.5%

My expectations weren't high at all, but damn this beer is horrible, I'm sorry. Pours black w/ a little white head that disappears and not much lacing going on. Smells like blueberries and cinnamon. The taste is Jagermeister like, definitely not what you want in a beer. Mouthfeel isn't bad, pretty carbonated, but smooth.. too bad the flavors are horrible. It finishes horrible, leaving a nasty aftertaste. I really wanted to pour this one down the drain, but I manned up... but it was really hard to.

This is honestly the worst beer I've ever had. I'm pissed I even gave it a chance, I only picked up a single so it's all good. AVOID!

1.68/5  rDev -49.1%

Tulip Glass

A: Dark Black, but not unlike any other stout. The lacing is decent, but mine seemed to go away rather quickly, leaving no stickiness behind.

S: You can definitely smell the blueberry. It's very difficult to smell much else.

T: Vanilla and Blueberries overpower this one. Vanilla more up front and then blueberries about 1/2 way through till the finish. The aftertaste is pure blueberry, very sweet.

M: Really Watery, not much too it.

*The appearance of this beer is the best thing I have to say about it. It smells too sweet, and it is too sweet. In my opinion, just the wrong combo/amounts of ingredients in this beer. Won't buy again.

1.8/5  rDev -45.5%

A-Pours a dark brown color with three fingers of light brown sugar head. Glad to see it's not a fake-looking shade of purple.

S-Smells of a bit of cocoa and some ripe blueberries on the finish.

T-There's a weird medicinal bitterness that I'm associating with the blueberry, along with some rubbing alcohol on the finish.

M-This feels really thin, although smooth, with moderate carbonation and a distracting alcohol warmth.

D-The weird bitterness along with the the rubbing alcohol and the complete lack of any malt notes render this one almost totally undrinkable. Had to drain-pour this one.

1.95/5  rDev -40.9%

I usually love Buffalo Bill. Their Orange Blossom is superb, but this product needs work.

The bottle may have spent some time at the local liquor store, but I would hope they tested for settling or protein coagulation. Upon pouring the bottle into a glass the beer looked like a snow globe, and no amount of stirring, swirling, etc would break up the globs of blueberry mush, or whatever it was. I wasn't afraid to drink it (I'm the kind of guy who drinks chicha) but it was pretty horrifying. I actually got on here tonight to see if anyone else saw this. To the rating!

a: Horrifying protein, or blueberry, or yeasy or whatever haze. Would make a new beer drinker think it was unsafe.

s: Mild toasty notes familiar to a stout.

t: Flat stout taste with hints of fruity esters.

m: Thin for an oatmeal stout, thickened by haze globs.

d: I won't be going back with out all my gaurds up.

1.99/5  rDev -39.7%
look: 1.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

I Purchased this in a Mix Six pack . I Picked 2 bottles of this beer, regretting that now.Fair amount of white looking sediment in the bottom of the bottle. Poured a white/cocoa 2 finger head which had a rich oatmeal bluberryish smell . A ton of bubbles and fizz , poured into the Fat Tire Tulip glass. The beer was very dark in color .When it took the swisharoo test not much lacing. The beer tasted Like nothing it smelled like. Stout yes, but a very thin style stout. For me the carbonation was out of freaking control.Berry Flavor was way in the back of the taste for me and the front was a faint oatmeal almost ale type flavor?Overall I did not enjoy this myself, but maybe someone who is just getting into fruit style stouts might enjoy this . Happy Hump Day!

2.1/5  rDev -36.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

Pours a rich dark chocolate hue with smells of blueberry pie filling complete with a doughy crust. Taste is flat, burnt and unappealing. Blueberry is hardly noticeable and the rich roastiness I enjoy in a stout is virtually none existent. Mouthfeel is is stinging. The enjoy by 2/15/13 and today being 3/3 may be a clue. Drain pour.

2.13/5  rDev -35.5%

12oz bottle poured into a snifter.

A: Medium brown pour. Super dark brown and very light on the edges. One finger light tan head with good retention and great lacing.

S: Big blueberries. Kind of a metallic blueberry aroma. Slight caramel, chocolate, and roasted notes.

T: Light caramel and chocolate on the tip of the tongue. Big blueberries dominate. Very artificial. You can almost taste the can they were in. The metallic flavors are bitter. A touch of sweetness comes towards the finish, along with oatmeal and big alcohol. Big for a 7.5% beer. Not much of an alcohol sting but just a rubbing alcohol taste.

M: Light body, bordering on watery. Not much else besides a light alcohol sting lingering on the tongue and in the throat.

O: My first Buffalo Bill's beer and disappointed. I think I've heard good things about their pumpkin ale. This was pretty bad. Not much works with this beer at all. Not a drain pour, but damn close. Definitely stay away, unless you need the tic.

2.15/5  rDev -34.8%

My local CB& Potts makes a great blackberry stout, so I had high hopes for this.
Pours a pretty thick dark brown to black color with only a little bit of head.
Smells like a mild (dry Irish'esque) stout with blueberry essence. Not too bad so far.
The taste is weird. The blueberries hit up front, but they aren't really very sweet. The stout flavors are almost non-existant and I pick up a wave of (out of place) hops in the finish. There's also something that just tastes "off" in the finish. The Sunset Wheat blueberry flavors are much better than these and the stout base is pretty weak. It tastes like a homebrew gone wrong.
I finished one glass without too much of a problem, but I'm regretting this six-pack already. My wife flat-out couldn't stand it.
I won't be revisiting this one and I bet this 6-pack lasts a while.
There are definitely worse options, and I admire the idea, but the result is a bit of a bust. This score is probably inflated a little because I wanted to like this.

EDIT: Future tastings of this are actually making me think it's even worse. The hops in the finish combined with that "off" (burnt plastic?) flavor really make this a complete dud. I normally don't change reviews, but every subsequent bottle has made me think this was even worse than the last. Worst beer I've had in years.

2.25/5  rDev -31.8%

Dark pour with no head to speak of, like blueberry juice and dark rootbeer. Smells sweet, not much else. A piney and woody taste up front with a sweet noticeable blue berry back, actually more complex than I thought it would be. Complex but not entirely pleasant. Good mouthfeel, medium bodied and plenty of small medio carbonation. Not too drinkable. Maybe one was enough.

Buffalo Bill's Blueberry Oatmeal Stout from Buffalo Bill's Brewery