Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Buffalo Bill's Blueberry Oatmeal Stout - Buffalo Bill's Brewery

Buffalo Bill's Blueberry Oatmeal StoutBuffalo Bill's Blueberry Oatmeal Stout

good

Buffalo Bill's Brewery visit their website

Oatmeal Stout |  7.50% ABV

Beer added by: dsa7783 on 12-22-2007

At 7.5% alcohol, this award-winning brew is a true winter warmer. Blueberry Oatmeal Stout has hints of chocolate, oatmeal and fresh blueberries. A wonderful pairing of flavors! Great for the holidays and for those who enjoy discovering new beers.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Buffalo Bill's Blueberry Oatmeal Stout Alström Bros
1.12/5  rDev -66.5%

Beer advocate let me down on this one. I checked it out, saw it in the cooler, so decided to try it. From the pour, which had so much carbonation, that it took 5 minutes to get the head down. The beer was literally 90% head and 10% beer, even with a slow pour. The smell had a hint of blueberries which was pleasant. The taste was horrible, I cannot describe how it hit my palette.
I tried one out of the glass, one out of the bottle. To make sure it wasn't me, I gave one to a friend which turned out to be a cruel joke but extremely funny. (542 characters)

1.24/5  rDev -62.9%

Wow. Talk about regretting a beer purchase... Oatmeal stouts are my go to so when I saw this on the shelf for $30 for the case and 7.5% I figured what the hell ill look it up on BA. At a score of ~80 I went for it. I didn't expect it to be GREAT or anything but for the price figured ill try something a little bit different.

A - normal dark brown/black stout pour. Didn't really spend a lot of time scoping the color because I was too busy waiting for the ridiculous head to settle. 1/3 of the beer with a gentle pour and the beer was erupting into 2-3 inches of head.

S - fairly moderate and tame smell for a stout. Not a lot to take in, small wafts of something sweet and not reckognized.

T - this is an oatmeal stout? I guess. I'm not sure what else you could classify it is so it was their best option. Tastes like what you would imagine acid would taste without burning you. Blatantly unnatural. Not even going to try to analyze this one. Yes there is trace "blueberry" taste but nothing pleasant. It's a chaotic clash of bitter chalky crappy stout characteristics and fake blueberry extract.

M - wow. This is where this beer just goes from poor to shameful. Every sip erupts in your mouth like baking soda and vinegar in the most unpleasant and undrinkable fashion. Precisely the same nuisance that occurred in the pour is now occurring with every sip. And forget about drinking more than 2 of these. That many had me feeling like I hit an all you can eat buffet. But then again, did I really want any more of these?

overall - I can't figure out how this beer mustered an 80ish? I feel bamboozled. Conclusion? Non beer drinking, fruit loving, Stella Artois praising yuppies have sampled this concoction and deduced its dessert sounding name equated to a decadent brew. Steer clear stout lovers, don't make the same mistake as I did. Anyone want to buy 22 more of these? (1,882 characters)

1.46/5  rDev -56.3%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a glass.

A: Your typical black stout. No light passes through...a small light head forms.
S: Little bit of blueberry in the nose, also a chemical like odor, fairly unpleasant.
T: Unfortunately, the taste of this beer reminded me very much of vomit. It had a harsh taste up front, a faint touch of blueberry on the palate, and then had the finish of bad artificial sweetener. Very unpleasant.
M: Somewhat thin in body.
D: I was really looking forward to this stout. It was a complete letdown for me. The taste was awful, and I could barely finish one beer. This was the closest I've ever come to a drain pour. (640 characters)

1.66/5  rDev -50.3%

My expectations weren't high at all, but damn this beer is horrible, I'm sorry. Pours black w/ a little white head that disappears and not much lacing going on. Smells like blueberries and cinnamon. The taste is Jagermeister like, definitely not what you want in a beer. Mouthfeel isn't bad, pretty carbonated, but smooth.. too bad the flavors are horrible. It finishes horrible, leaving a nasty aftertaste. I really wanted to pour this one down the drain, but I manned up... but it was really hard to.

This is honestly the worst beer I've ever had. I'm pissed I even gave it a chance, I only picked up a single so it's all good. AVOID! (637 characters)

1.71/5  rDev -48.8%

Tulip Glass

A: Dark Black, but not unlike any other stout. The lacing is decent, but mine seemed to go away rather quickly, leaving no stickiness behind.

S: You can definitely smell the blueberry. It's very difficult to smell much else.

T: Vanilla and Blueberries overpower this one. Vanilla more up front and then blueberries about 1/2 way through till the finish. The aftertaste is pure blueberry, very sweet.

M: Really Watery, not much too it.

*The appearance of this beer is the best thing I have to say about it. It smells too sweet, and it is too sweet. In my opinion, just the wrong combo/amounts of ingredients in this beer. Won't buy again. (655 characters)

1.94/5  rDev -41.9%

I usually love Buffalo Bill. Their Orange Blossom is superb, but this product needs work.

The bottle may have spent some time at the local liquor store, but I would hope they tested for settling or protein coagulation. Upon pouring the bottle into a glass the beer looked like a snow globe, and no amount of stirring, swirling, etc would break up the globs of blueberry mush, or whatever it was. I wasn't afraid to drink it (I'm the kind of guy who drinks chicha) but it was pretty horrifying. I actually got on here tonight to see if anyone else saw this. To the rating!

a: Horrifying protein, or blueberry, or yeasy or whatever haze. Would make a new beer drinker think it was unsafe.

s: Mild toasty notes familiar to a stout.

t: Flat stout taste with hints of fruity esters.

m: Thin for an oatmeal stout, thickened by haze globs.

d: I won't be going back with out all my gaurds up. (890 characters)

1.95/5  rDev -41.6%

A-Pours a dark brown color with three fingers of light brown sugar head. Glad to see it's not a fake-looking shade of purple.

S-Smells of a bit of cocoa and some ripe blueberries on the finish.

T-There's a weird medicinal bitterness that I'm associating with the blueberry, along with some rubbing alcohol on the finish.

M-This feels really thin, although smooth, with moderate carbonation and a distracting alcohol warmth.

D-The weird bitterness along with the the rubbing alcohol and the complete lack of any malt notes render this one almost totally undrinkable. Had to drain-pour this one. (597 characters)

2.07/5  rDev -38%
look: 1.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

I Purchased this in a Mix Six pack . I Picked 2 bottles of this beer, regretting that now.Fair amount of white looking sediment in the bottom of the bottle. Poured a white/cocoa 2 finger head which had a rich oatmeal bluberryish smell . A ton of bubbles and fizz , poured into the Fat Tire Tulip glass. The beer was very dark in color .When it took the swisharoo test not much lacing. The beer tasted Like nothing it smelled like. Stout yes, but a very thin style stout. For me the carbonation was out of freaking control.Berry Flavor was way in the back of the taste for me and the front was a faint oatmeal almost ale type flavor?Overall I did not enjoy this myself, but maybe someone who is just getting into fruit style stouts might enjoy this . Happy Hump Day! (765 characters)

2.17/5  rDev -35%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

Pours a rich dark chocolate hue with smells of blueberry pie filling complete with a doughy crust. Taste is flat, burnt and unappealing. Blueberry is hardly noticeable and the rich roastiness I enjoy in a stout is virtually none existent. Mouthfeel is is stinging. The enjoy by 2/15/13 and today being 3/3 may be a clue. Drain pour. (332 characters)

2.21/5  rDev -33.8%

12oz bottle poured into a snifter.

A: Medium brown pour. Super dark brown and very light on the edges. One finger light tan head with good retention and great lacing.

S: Big blueberries. Kind of a metallic blueberry aroma. Slight caramel, chocolate, and roasted notes.

T: Light caramel and chocolate on the tip of the tongue. Big blueberries dominate. Very artificial. You can almost taste the can they were in. The metallic flavors are bitter. A touch of sweetness comes towards the finish, along with oatmeal and big alcohol. Big for a 7.5% beer. Not much of an alcohol sting but just a rubbing alcohol taste.

M: Light body, bordering on watery. Not much else besides a light alcohol sting lingering on the tongue and in the throat.

O: My first Buffalo Bill's beer and disappointed. I think I've heard good things about their pumpkin ale. This was pretty bad. Not much works with this beer at all. Not a drain pour, but damn close. Definitely stay away, unless you need the tic. (985 characters)

2.23/5  rDev -33.2%

Dark pour with no head to speak of, like blueberry juice and dark rootbeer. Smells sweet, not much else. A piney and woody taste up front with a sweet noticeable blue berry back, actually more complex than I thought it would be. Complex but not entirely pleasant. Good mouthfeel, medium bodied and plenty of small medio carbonation. Not too drinkable. Maybe one was enough. (373 characters)

2.25/5  rDev -32.6%

My local CB& Potts makes a great blackberry stout, so I had high hopes for this.
Pours a pretty thick dark brown to black color with only a little bit of head.
Smells like a mild (dry Irish'esque) stout with blueberry essence. Not too bad so far.
The taste is weird. The blueberries hit up front, but they aren't really very sweet. The stout flavors are almost non-existant and I pick up a wave of (out of place) hops in the finish. There's also something that just tastes "off" in the finish. The Sunset Wheat blueberry flavors are much better than these and the stout base is pretty weak. It tastes like a homebrew gone wrong.
I finished one glass without too much of a problem, but I'm regretting this six-pack already. My wife flat-out couldn't stand it.
I won't be revisiting this one and I bet this 6-pack lasts a while.
There are definitely worse options, and I admire the idea, but the result is a bit of a bust. This score is probably inflated a little because I wanted to like this.

EDIT: Future tastings of this are actually making me think it's even worse. The hops in the finish combined with that "off" (burnt plastic?) flavor really make this a complete dud. I normally don't change reviews, but every subsequent bottle has made me think this was even worse than the last. Worst beer I've had in years. (1,318 characters)

2.29/5  rDev -31.4%

My dad bought a six pack of this stuff from the store, after recently visiting their brewery and tasting most of what they had to offer, I was not exactly jumping for joy to try a bottle but I got around to it and today, poured into a Stone pint glass, color is dark brown color with purple highlights, thin vanilla colored head that lasted about five minutes, not much lacing, read that there was thirty pounds of blueberries in each batch and I believe it after sticking my nose in my glass, pretty much dominates except for a little bit of roasted malt and artificial sweetness, taste was straight fruit at first, then faded into some dark malts but not many, it is a bit tart and it does not work at all with the other flavors, just too sweet, mouthfeel is mostly cloyingly sweet with some roastiness, medium bodied, pretty flat as far as carbonation goes, could not drink more than six ounces of it, just finished pouring the rest down the drain, another beer I would never drink again from these guys, probably will steer clear of this brewery period in the future, not recommended (1,087 characters)

2.33/5  rDev -30.2%

Poured from 12oz bottle into snifter.
A: Very dark with a thin head with little retained.
S: Ugh, artificial blueberry and sweet malts.
T: Double ugh, more artificial tasting blueberry with little roasted malt, but lots of sweetness. The sweetness does not come from the blueberry and this make the beer disjointed.
M: Thin, but the sweetness makes it difficult to drink.
O: I picked this up for my wife, but then read some good reviews and figured I'd try it myself. This was not good and quickly became a drain pour for me. This makes e thik something like blueberry koolaid added to Guinness. (595 characters)

2.35/5  rDev -29.6%

This pours a dark brown in color. Not much of a head. Faint smell of blueberries but thats it. Now the taste was not very good. Initially the blueberries hit you but then the finish is almost medicinal. Could not really taste much of any oatmeal stout. Medium to thin in body.

Hopes were high since I love blueberries as well as stouts but this I will not be drinking again. (375 characters)

2.35/5  rDev -29.6%

Appearance - Pours a dark brownish/black color with a VERY small frothy tan head.. Has thin lacing.

Smell - Strong scent of blueberries that mostly drowns out everything else. I also

Taste - Toasted malts up front, with blueberries and a hint of chocolate. Quite bitter with a strong alcohol bite in the finish.

Mouthfeel - Medium body with high carbonation.

Overall - To be honest.. I can't stand this beer lol. Maybe it's just because I don't like stouts, but I thought this one would be different. I didn't really taste any oatmeal either. (547 characters)

2.41/5  rDev -27.8%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass. Pours a dark brown and puts up a 1" tan head. Smells of blueberries (surprise, surprise) and mild chocolate, with the oats giving it a bready aroma. Taste is not that great. If I put a bunch of blueberries in my armpits and ran 10 miles and put the into a beer. This is what I think it would taste like. Somewhat bitter on the palate. Good carbonation. Not the stout I reach for if I got a hankerin' for one. (455 characters)

2.43/5  rDev -27.2%

12oz bottle
Served in a perfect pint glass

A - It was a murky brown. It looks like it had chunks of yeast floating in it. It was topped with two inches of tan head.

S - It got the blueberry, but there was something off about the smell.

T - I got the blueberry again. I also got some alcohol. It was a very artificial taste.

M - Moderate

O - The taste was terrible. It tasted like blueberry, alcohol, and plastic. I would not drink this crap again. (452 characters)

2.44/5  rDev -26.9%

Got a 6 pack of bottles, first one not quite cold, so it went down the drain when it got too warm for my taste. Second one turned out to be a little better, but still searching for that blueberry taste. Not the best blueberry I've had. Should of only grabbed one and let it chill properly. (289 characters)

2.5/5  rDev -25.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Appearance: Tons of foam. Looks like a black lager. Some blue tint to this as well.

Smell: Fresh blueberries.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Extremely sour and bitter. Mostly fake blueberries with some flavorless oatmeal.

Overall Drinkability: This tastes very dreadful. Everything else is ok though. (289 characters)

2.5/5  rDev -25.1%

Thanks for AKBelgianBeast for this one in that I lost the LNBA FF.

A- Dark in the glass, but when poured is very light brown. The tan head is there, but leaves quickly.

S- The blueberry is there, and smells like blueberry pie. There is a nice chocolate smell coming through too. It isn't a bad smell.

T- Now the blueberry comes though, but it feels like the makers made some random standard "stout recipe" and threw blueberries into it. The stout portion isn't developed very well and this has a real acrid bitter taste to it. The blueberry flavor is there for sure, so that part has come though, but this bitterness just kills the whole thing all together. I know dark beers and fruit are a great idea, but make sure you have a rocken dark beer recipe for a backbone to allow the fruit flavor to fall back upon. If not it just becomes this crap beer with fruit flavor, making this just a mess.

M- Medium bodied, with carbination, but the bitterness is not a pleasant mouthfeel. Kinda drys out the tongue too.

D- Yeah you can drink this, but I wouldn't advise in buying it. (1,081 characters)

2.51/5  rDev -24.9%

The BB Blueberry Oatmeal Stout poured black with a tiny foam head and not much lacing. Quick dissipating head.

The aroma had a faint blueberry smell to it and not much more. It was pretty bitter and a little sour. In the mouth it left a bittering note on the top of the mouth. Overall it seem very thin, lacked smoothness I am used to with an oatmeal stout. The label was more appealing than the beer itself. The 7.5 percent abv is pretty well hidden. It is worth a try but I won't be buying this one again. (508 characters)

2.53/5  rDev -24.3%

A-poured a typical stout dark color. surprised it doesn't have a reddish purplish color considering the blueberries. nice hearty two and a half finger off white/light brown colored head.

S- all i smell is the blueberries and the alcohol.

T- not alot going on with this brew. the blueberry just chills in the back which i thought was going to be more dominant. no real malt presence which bums me out.

M- light bodied. a little to much carbonation for my taste.

D- i'm glad i only bought a single.

Overall- i'm not a stout fan but i thought i'd give this one a try considering my favorite stout is dark horse's tres. to me when i think of stout i think of malts and theres no malt taste to this beer. i say buy a single first or don't even waste your money. (762 characters)

look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

12 oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

Pours pitch black with barely a ring of too-white foam around the top that fizzles away. Aroma is blueberry and cardboard - with extra cardboard.

First sip is... oddly spiced. I swear I'm picking up cinnamon and clove flavors. Also, there is a strange lingering non-hop bitterness - quite harsh. You can kind of taste the blueberry in the back a little, but barely.

What I don't taste is the real problem. No malty sweetness, no roasted bitterness, no hops, and a thin mouthfeel to boot. There should be a nice smooth, silky mouthfeel from the oatmeal, but that is lacking as well.

Drinkability suffers due to the strange bitter aftertaste and lack of balancing sweetness. This is not the first sub-par beer that I've had from this brewery (see pumpkin ale). Will be extremely wary of them in the future.

Do not recommend. (869 characters)

look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured black with an 1 1/2 inch head. Great head retention and excellent lacing.

Tons of Blueberry in the nose. some malt come through later with some bitter notes.

Blueberry in the nose is hardly reflected in the taste. Some faint blueberry on the front palate which are quickly replaced by burnt malt flavors. Almost an immediate bitterness on the med palate which is present on the back palate as well. Some faint fruit in the finish...might be blueberry.

Moderate carbonation and a sticky mouthfeel. Carbonation helps to cut come of the stickiness. (555 characters)

Buffalo Bill's Blueberry Oatmeal Stout from Buffalo Bill's Brewery