Buffalo Bill's Blueberry Oatmeal Stout - Buffalo Bill's Brewery

Buffalo Bill's Blueberry Oatmeal StoutBuffalo Bill's Blueberry Oatmeal Stout

good

Buffalo Bill's Brewery visit their website

Oatmeal Stout |  7.50% ABV

At 7.5% alcohol, this award-winning brew is a true winter warmer. Blueberry Oatmeal Stout has hints of chocolate, oatmeal and fresh blueberries. A wonderful pairing of flavors! Great for the holidays and for those who enjoy discovering new beers.

(Beer added by: dsa7783 on 12-22-2007)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Buffalo Bill's Blueberry Oatmeal Stout Alström Bros

2.25/5  rDev -31.8%

My dad bought a six pack of this stuff from the store, after recently visiting their brewery and tasting most of what they had to offer, I was not exactly jumping for joy to try a bottle but I got around to it and today, poured into a Stone pint glass, color is dark brown color with purple highlights, thin vanilla colored head that lasted about five minutes, not much lacing, read that there was thirty pounds of blueberries in each batch and I believe it after sticking my nose in my glass, pretty much dominates except for a little bit of roasted malt and artificial sweetness, taste was straight fruit at first, then faded into some dark malts but not many, it is a bit tart and it does not work at all with the other flavors, just too sweet, mouthfeel is mostly cloyingly sweet with some roastiness, medium bodied, pretty flat as far as carbonation goes, could not drink more than six ounces of it, just finished pouring the rest down the drain, another beer I would never drink again from these guys, probably will steer clear of this brewery period in the future, not recommended

2.3/5  rDev -30.3%

Poured from 12oz bottle into snifter.
A: Very dark with a thin head with little retained.
S: Ugh, artificial blueberry and sweet malts.
T: Double ugh, more artificial tasting blueberry with little roasted malt, but lots of sweetness. The sweetness does not come from the blueberry and this make the beer disjointed.
M: Thin, but the sweetness makes it difficult to drink.
O: I picked this up for my wife, but then read some good reviews and figured I'd try it myself. This was not good and quickly became a drain pour for me. This makes e thik something like blueberry koolaid added to Guinness.

2.3/5  rDev -30.3%

This pours a dark brown in color. Not much of a head. Faint smell of blueberries but thats it. Now the taste was not very good. Initially the blueberries hit you but then the finish is almost medicinal. Could not really taste much of any oatmeal stout. Medium to thin in body.

Hopes were high since I love blueberries as well as stouts but this I will not be drinking again.

2.3/5  rDev -30.3%

Appearance - Pours a dark brownish/black color with a VERY small frothy tan head.. Has thin lacing.

Smell - Strong scent of blueberries that mostly drowns out everything else. I also

Taste - Toasted malts up front, with blueberries and a hint of chocolate. Quite bitter with a strong alcohol bite in the finish.

Mouthfeel - Medium body with high carbonation.

Overall - To be honest.. I can't stand this beer lol. Maybe it's just because I don't like stouts, but I thought this one would be different. I didn't really taste any oatmeal either.

2.38/5  rDev -27.9%

12oz bottle
Served in a perfect pint glass

A - It was a murky brown. It looks like it had chunks of yeast floating in it. It was topped with two inches of tan head.

S - It got the blueberry, but there was something off about the smell.

T - I got the blueberry again. I also got some alcohol. It was a very artificial taste.

M - Moderate

O - The taste was terrible. It tasted like blueberry, alcohol, and plastic. I would not drink this crap again.

2.38/5  rDev -27.9%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass. Pours a dark brown and puts up a 1" tan head. Smells of blueberries (surprise, surprise) and mild chocolate, with the oats giving it a bready aroma. Taste is not that great. If I put a bunch of blueberries in my armpits and ran 10 miles and put the into a beer. This is what I think it would taste like. Somewhat bitter on the palate. Good carbonation. Not the stout I reach for if I got a hankerin' for one.

2.4/5  rDev -27.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Appearance: Tons of foam. Looks like a black lager. Some blue tint to this as well.

Smell: Fresh blueberries.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Extremely sour and bitter. Mostly fake blueberries with some flavorless oatmeal.

Overall Drinkability: This tastes very dreadful. Everything else is ok though.

2.4/5  rDev -27.3%

Got a 6 pack of bottles, first one not quite cold, so it went down the drain when it got too warm for my taste. Second one turned out to be a little better, but still searching for that blueberry taste. Not the best blueberry I've had. Should of only grabbed one and let it chill properly.

2.42/5  rDev -26.7%

Thanks for AKBelgianBeast for this one in that I lost the LNBA FF.

A- Dark in the glass, but when poured is very light brown. The tan head is there, but leaves quickly.

S- The blueberry is there, and smells like blueberry pie. There is a nice chocolate smell coming through too. It isn't a bad smell.

T- Now the blueberry comes though, but it feels like the makers made some random standard "stout recipe" and threw blueberries into it. The stout portion isn't developed very well and this has a real acrid bitter taste to it. The blueberry flavor is there for sure, so that part has come though, but this bitterness just kills the whole thing all together. I know dark beers and fruit are a great idea, but make sure you have a rocken dark beer recipe for a backbone to allow the fruit flavor to fall back upon. If not it just becomes this crap beer with fruit flavor, making this just a mess.

M- Medium bodied, with carbination, but the bitterness is not a pleasant mouthfeel. Kinda drys out the tongue too.

D- Yeah you can drink this, but I wouldn't advise in buying it.

2.48/5  rDev -24.8%

A: dark blackish, very little head that disappeared quickly
S: blueberry and sweetness
T: dark malty beer with blueberry sweetness. I enjoyed the first sip and the second a little less... and then the third not at all. It now reminds me of something awful that I can't place. I want to say medicine, but I just can't figure it out.
M: thinnish

2.5/5  rDev -24.2%

A-poured a typical stout dark color. surprised it doesn't have a reddish purplish color considering the blueberries. nice hearty two and a half finger off white/light brown colored head.

S- all i smell is the blueberries and the alcohol.

T- not alot going on with this brew. the blueberry just chills in the back which i thought was going to be more dominant. no real malt presence which bums me out.

M- light bodied. a little to much carbonation for my taste.

D- i'm glad i only bought a single.

Overall- i'm not a stout fan but i thought i'd give this one a try considering my favorite stout is dark horse's tres. to me when i think of stout i think of malts and theres no malt taste to this beer. i say buy a single first or don't even waste your money.

Buffalo Bill's Blueberry Oatmeal Stout from Buffalo Bill's Brewery