Buffalo Bill's Blueberry Oatmeal Stout - Buffalo Bill's Brewery

good

Buffalo Bill's Brewery visit their website

Oatmeal Stout |  7.50% ABV

Beer added by: dsa7783 on 12-22-2007

At 7.5% alcohol, this award-winning brew is a true winter warmer. Blueberry Oatmeal Stout has hints of chocolate, oatmeal and fresh blueberries. A wonderful pairing of flavors! Great for the holidays and for those who enjoy discovering new beers.
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Buffalo Bill's Blueberry Oatmeal Stout Alström Bros
4.66/5  rDev +40.8%

I may be coming out of the woodwork with this review but I find this beer to be deliciously exceptional.

The aroma literally jumps out and kicks your nose with an impact that you will remember. What does it smell like exactly? It smells EXACTLY like blueberry oatmeal and the smell stays true throughout the brew.

What does it taste like? If you can imagine blueberry oatmeal being a beer, that is what it tastes like as well. And at 7.5%, who could complain? Maybe I drink too much I can't even come close to tasting the alcohol.

I only bought this because the place I buy from ran out of top shelf beers and I just grabbed this as a gag. I thought it was just a beer brewed with blueberries but then I found out it was an oatmeal stout as well. What a pleasant surprise!

If you like blueberries and high percent alcohol in your beer (who doesn't?), I'd suggest picking this up to try immediatly. It's a definite vacation from the beer you are use to drinking and almost like a breathe of fresh air from a new light, never tasted or smelled before. Step up, and SMELL THE LIGHT!

Edit: I just bought another 6-pack of this and it lacks a bit from the other one's I've had. I think this is the kind of beer that has much variation from each brew they make. If you didn't like it the first time, give it a try again- maybe it'll be from one of the better brews they did.

3.03/5  rDev -8.5%

The beer poured a very thin head which dissipated quickly. It had a dark coloration like typical Oatmeal Stouts and had the texture of a typical one. The smell wasn't bad, however I found both the smell and taste (referring to the blueberries) more absent of the blueberry I would have preferred. Subtle is good, absent is less so. Overall it wasn't a bad brew, but just a very average one. Certainly I've had worse blueberry beers, and its worth trying. The texture of the stout was typical, and I was glad that it didn't have a syrupy flavor to it.

3.42/5  rDev +3.3%

I'm not a big fan of fruit in beers. Makes me think of Zima, or Bartle's and Jayme's. But there are some standouts that keep me from writing them off -- Pyramid's Apricot Ale is one, and Buffalo Bill's Pumpkin Ale is another. So when my fiance brought home a 12oz of BB's Blueberry stout, I figured it was worth a try.

Nothing exceptional or memorable to note about the pour. Maybe a little thinner and a little less head than you'd traditionally expect from a stout, but not dramatically "off," either.

Aroma is _all_ about the blueberries. Very distinct and recognizable from the mouth of the glass. The taste is actually more subtle; not as sweet as I'd feared from the smell and the oatmeal comes through as a kind of grainy undertone.

We split the single 12oz between us, so I didn't get as many sips as I'd usually have to work out the flavor profile. By taste alone, I'm not sure I could have identified this as "blueberry." Something-berry, yes, but if you told me it was blackberry or raspberry, I might have believed you. But the nose definitely gives it away -- it's unmistakable.

3.58/5  rDev +8.2%

Dark ebony with a thick finger of sand colored foam that leaves some fine lace behind. Smells pretty blueberry heavy with roasted malt. Tastes more blueberry than anything else, otherwise a fairly dry, lighter than most stout with mild hop bitterness in the finish. Alcohol is very well hidden. The oatmeal comes through in the creamy, chalky mouthfeel. A decent brew thats a little too light for an imperial stout but better than other BB's beer that I've had in the past.

2.51/5  rDev -24.2%

The BB Blueberry Oatmeal Stout poured black with a tiny foam head and not much lacing. Quick dissipating head.

The aroma had a faint blueberry smell to it and not much more. It was pretty bitter and a little sour. In the mouth it left a bittering note on the top of the mouth. Overall it seem very thin, lacked smoothness I am used to with an oatmeal stout. The label was more appealing than the beer itself. The 7.5 percent abv is pretty well hidden. It is worth a try but I won't be buying this one again.

2.29/5  rDev -30.8%

My dad bought a six pack of this stuff from the store, after recently visiting their brewery and tasting most of what they had to offer, I was not exactly jumping for joy to try a bottle but I got around to it and today, poured into a Stone pint glass, color is dark brown color with purple highlights, thin vanilla colored head that lasted about five minutes, not much lacing, read that there was thirty pounds of blueberries in each batch and I believe it after sticking my nose in my glass, pretty much dominates except for a little bit of roasted malt and artificial sweetness, taste was straight fruit at first, then faded into some dark malts but not many, it is a bit tart and it does not work at all with the other flavors, just too sweet, mouthfeel is mostly cloyingly sweet with some roastiness, medium bodied, pretty flat as far as carbonation goes, could not drink more than six ounces of it, just finished pouring the rest down the drain, another beer I would never drink again from these guys, probably will steer clear of this brewery period in the future, not recommended

3.18/5  rDev -3.9%

Got all excited over this one in the grocery store. I love stouts and blueberries. Looks like a stout but the head is there and gone in a second. Initial aroma is medicinal with a hint of fruit. The mouth feel is thin and lacks that stout body, this is lighter than a porter too. Taste is begging for more stout and less fruit. The bitterness is pronounced as well as some blueberry sweetness with a tart finish. Tastes better as it warms up. But near the end, a flat beer. Disappointed.

3.75/5  rDev +13.3%

Bottle from Belmont Party.

Poured clear ruby color with a medium frothy brown head that diminished slowly with fair lacing. Medium berry friut and chocolate aroma. Medium body with a smooth texture. Medium sweet flavor with medium sweet finish of moderate duration.

This soft fruity beer met my expectations.

3.27/5  rDev -1.2%

12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

Pours a dark brown (not quite black) with 2 fingers of creamy light tan head. Retains around the edges, with some thin wisps in the center, leaving just a smallish smattering of lacing back. Blueberries dominate the aroma, with some additional notes of oatmeal sweetness, roasted chocolate, and light coffee mixed in.

The Stout is a bit more prominent in the taste, with chocolate sweetness and a combination of roasted bitterness, and coffee notes in the back that mix with blueberry character to give off a somewhat unappealing astringent feel. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with a lower feeling carbonation but luckily this still stays smooth and overall silky in the mouth from the oatmeal.

This was just OK. Enough blueberry was present but it overall didn't seem to meld well with the Stout qualities. I was one and done with this.

3.13/5  rDev -5.4%

pours a rich, murky chocolate brown with a fairly creamy two-finger light chocolate head that leaves fair lacing down the glass. That's where the pleasantries cease, however.

aroma is decidedly blueberry, although in an unpleasant, funky, "is that fake blueberry?" sort of a way. Hints of roasted malts, cocoa, and coffee are all but completely masked by the overwhelming blueberry that isn't quite blueberry muffin enough to be pleasant. verging on sickly.

Taste isn't an improvement. There's hints of some dark malt and cocoa, but it's fairly weak... and quivers in the shadows of the monstrous and brash blueberry. An oatmeal stout? It's hard to tell... the stout qualities are weak, the blueberry overbearing and intrusive. There's an unpleasant citrus bitterness on the finish that isn't helping anything.

Mouthfeel is thin, light, and fairly carbonated. not the creamy oatmeal stout I long for. If this were a bit thicker, I might be able to get past the over-blueberriness and lack of roastiness. but it's not. it's thin and slick enough to let the almost-artificial blueberry completely assault my taste buds.

I had high hopes for this one. but they were quickly quashed. If there was more of a stout to stand up to the blueberry, this could actually be great. But the stout wasn't there... and the blueberry definitely was. Not awful, but not really enjoyable. a novel idea that is fun for a sip or two but not quite solid enough to enjoy the whole bottle.

3.15/5  rDev -4.8%

Presentation: 12 oz bottle into a snifter.

A- Dark translucent/borderline opaque brown with ruby highlights. Pours with <1 finger of tan head, which fades almost instantly, leaving a thin ring. No lacing noted.

S- Blueberries and a slightly unusual boozy quality. A rather unrefined aroma. Not quite off-putting, but certainly not enticing.

T- A slightly sour fruitiness/green blueberry is the first impression, with the more quintessentially mature blueberry flavor peaking on the finish/aftertaste. Sweetness is fairly restrained, and bitterness is minimal. Strange flavor, but not unpleasant when taken as a whole.

M- Moderately high carbonation, which is fairly biting. Rather thin, and not particularly smooth, and wholly lacking in creaminess. Quite off for what I'd expect in an oatmeal stout.

D- Not terrible, but I can't fathom wanting to drink more than one in a sitting.

Future outlook: Not a terrible beer, and was fine for a novel experience, but not something worth revisiting. I'd be interested in trying a full bodied, creamy blueberry-oatmeal stout if one exists (?), but this one doesn't fill that bill.

3.38/5  rDev +2.1%

Pours a deep garnet with just a bit of head that fades very quickly. After that it's still and shiny in the glass with no apparent carbonation.
Smell is sweet and fruity, I'm just not sure if it's blueberries or not. There's a decent amount of dark malt behind it all.
Taste is pretty mellow for a stout. The blueberries come through well but not too strong. Very mellow in the stout department. A bit fizzy as well. Thin mouthfeel and a bit weak overall.

2.25/5  rDev -32%

My local CB& Potts makes a great blackberry stout, so I had high hopes for this.
Pours a pretty thick dark brown to black color with only a little bit of head.
Smells like a mild (dry Irish'esque) stout with blueberry essence. Not too bad so far.
The taste is weird. The blueberries hit up front, but they aren't really very sweet. The stout flavors are almost non-existant and I pick up a wave of (out of place) hops in the finish. There's also something that just tastes "off" in the finish. The Sunset Wheat blueberry flavors are much better than these and the stout base is pretty weak. It tastes like a homebrew gone wrong.
I finished one glass without too much of a problem, but I'm regretting this six-pack already. My wife flat-out couldn't stand it.
I won't be revisiting this one and I bet this 6-pack lasts a while.
There are definitely worse options, and I admire the idea, but the result is a bit of a bust. This score is probably inflated a little because I wanted to like this.

EDIT: Future tastings of this are actually making me think it's even worse. The hops in the finish combined with that "off" (burnt plastic?) flavor really make this a complete dud. I normally don't change reviews, but every subsequent bottle has made me think this was even worse than the last. Worst beer I've had in years.

3.67/5  rDev +10.9%

Pours a nice dark black, although with only a bit of initial head and no lacing to speak of. Good scent, a huge whiff of blueberry along with a nice bit of burnt grain and smidge of coffee. Nice taste, decent stout characteristics on the way in, notably a bit of coffee and some nice dark grains; a huge mouth of blueberry at the end of the drink; mixes nicely after swallowing (Booberry cereal and coffee for breakfast); no one taste is completely dominant, which helped, too much blueberry would've been bad. Goes down quite well for a higher ABV stout.

3.56/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle into nonic.

Pitch black wth a thick two finger light brown head that slowly settles to a thick cap. Lots of bubbles are embedded in the surface giving it a rocky look. Strong stringy webby lacing.

The roasty malts sit far in the background behind a somewhat strong blueberry aroma. It's like the aroma of the blueberries that sit at the bottom of the yogurt cup. I have to say, the aromas don't mix quite well. I'm not liking the contrast. It's not a bad aroma though, and sure to please blueberry fans.

The roasted malts appear in the flavor like in the aroma, but the blueberries add a bit of a pleasant sweet distraction. The malts in the background are very smooth, and support the syrupy sweetness very well. Still, there is a little bit of a plastic-like flavor that's slightly unpleasant. Full bodied. The alcohol seems to sneak through as the beer warms.

This is a good beer, but I feel that the blueberry in the aroma and flavor clashes too much with the roasted malts.

3.38/5  rDev +2.1%

Pours a deep amber to black in color with a light tan head. In the aroma, a faint, sugary blueberry is all I get. In the taste, sweet oatmeal, light roastiness, and a hint of blueberry. A smooth and medium bodied mouthfeel, with a semi dry roasty malt and small small blueberry aftertaste. Interesting blueberry, a bit light overall, but OK.

4.42/5  rDev +33.5%

As a local to Buffalo Bill's I get to experience alot of their beer from the tap, but picked up a sixer of this at bevmo and it didn't dissapoint.

Poured a nice dark color, like it should, and left the perfect head...because of my pouring expertise. I love oatmeal stout's so I was excited to see it added with blueberries, and Buffalo Bill's did not let me down. Oh good Lord, it smelled like those blueberry pancakes mama used to make, but not too strong, just enough to taste the berries. The taste was great too..a great balanced stout with just the right flavor of the berry. Went down nice and smooth...all 6 of them

3.83/5  rDev +15.7%

This oatmeal stout reminds me of my childhood. I spent many a summers eating oatmeal with blueberries. It had a very pleasing aroma of blueberries. The taste was very appealing with hints of blueberries and hops. I enjoyed this beer to the fullest potential.

3.77/5  rDev +13.9%

12 oz bottles.
A nice dark liquid with a dark tan head.
Aroma strong of blueberries, some chocolate in there too. Smells very sweet.
Tastes pretty good. A lot of blueberry flavor, toasted malt with a char edge. Hint of oats/grains.
Mouthfeel is full bodied and semi-smooth.
Drinkability is very solid given the style of fruit stout and its strength. I would say this would make a good dessert beer, but its also fine to drink on whenever its around.

3.57/5  rDev +7.9%

Pours an oily black with a (blue-ish?) tan head that disappears pretty quickly. The berries are definitely apparent in the nose. The mouthfeel is solid--heavy body and tangy flavor, you can already sense the blueberries coming. The flavor ain't bad but it's strong! Blueberries on the tongue and blueberries kicking through the finish. Overall I think I like it albeit strange. Decently drinkable but semi filling, and the blueberry-ness is far to strong for my taste to have more than one at once.

Ohh.. a blueberry belch!

3.23/5  rDev -2.4%

Poured a leather couch brown with some seethruness and a thin head that died quickly and didn't leave lace. Blueberry notes abound but that's all I'm smelling - like I am smelling blueberry syrup. A little too sharp blueberry taste and a rather thin body give this beer, which is smooth and contains a good malt base, somewhat of a fruit soda overcarbonation feel. Not a bad beer and the ABV is hidden but this reminded me a little of cherry soda with the crispness a little too much. If they tweak the blueberry tartness they could have a great beer here.

3.45/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Dark brown, black. Tan head that has little retention and is small. Head leaves a bit of foam at the top..layering it.

Aroma: Blueberries jump out on this one.

Taste: Sweetness, blueberries and some malts..but not much else. I don't get any of the characteristics of an oatmeal stout here

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied at the most..somewhat creamy, and goes down fine

Drinkability: Fruity beer so that usually gives this category some points for me..higher ABV though. Also, not very much sticking to the style; I don't mind deviation, but this just seems a big jump. Too much blueberry sweetness, which tastes fine..but could use more. Worth trying, however.

3.32/5  rDev +0.3%

12oz bottle.

Poured a dark brown color with an averaged sized tan head. Aromas of blueberries, chocolate, and some roast. Tastes of blueberries, chocolate, light roast, and a touch of caramel. Medium sweet with a light tart finish.

Notes from: 3/6/08

3.52/5  rDev +6.3%

Poured from the 12oz twist off cap bottle into a standard pint glass.

Appearance- Beer pours a dark brown with light shining through pretty well and a half finger of tan head that quickly dies down to a light murk across the top. Lacing is thin and not too substantial.

Smell- I'm getting a lot of blueberry here and not a lot of oatmeal. There are some nice roasty grains in there, but not a lot in the way of oatmeal, or much else for that matter. No real hop presence, and no real yeasty scents in there.

Taste- There is blueberry in the flavor which is a plus, and a hoppy roast in the flavor but the two flavors and a really light body in the mouthfeel really don't compliment the beer too well. There is a light peppery spiciness that is somewhat pleasant, but I wouldn't go out and buy a six pack from this flavor.

Mouthfeel- Light bodied, somewhat spicy, not very warming, I find it very hard to believe that it is really 7.5%. Medium light in carbonation.

Drinkability- Not the greatest.. I'll be finishing this pint, but I'm fairly sure that this one will be my last. Perhaps I'll give it a chance again if I ever find it on tap.

3.25/5  rDev -1.8%

12oz picked up a few weeks ago at New Vintage in Meridian... Don't remember the price, but it was probably about $1.50. Shared with Brenda, mine poured into my Chimay goblet.

1 finger lite tan head.. die back to a descent cap and minimal splotchy lacing.. the brew is dark dark brown but does let some light shine through when held to a lamp.

The aroma is more fruity than anything else... definitely blueberry... no mistake... yet not much in the way of a traditional stout.

Flavor is again very very fruity with only touches of roasty grains.. only enough sweetness to make the blueberry's shine... finish is a little bit of chocolate with a fairly long dry blueberry essence... the body is medium and the carbonation is fine...

There isn't alot wrong with this brew... just nothing too great. I just normally don't appreciate fruit beers and especially traditional beer styles with a bunch of fruit thrown in. Again, not for me but alot of people will probably appreciate it.

Buffalo Bill's Blueberry Oatmeal Stout from Buffalo Bill's Brewery