Buffalo Bill's Blueberry Oatmeal Stout - Buffalo Bill's Brewery

good

Buffalo Bill's Brewery visit their website

Oatmeal Stout |  7.50% ABV

Beer added by: dsa7783 on 12-22-2007

At 7.5% alcohol, this award-winning brew is a true winter warmer. Blueberry Oatmeal Stout has hints of chocolate, oatmeal and fresh blueberries. A wonderful pairing of flavors! Great for the holidays and for those who enjoy discovering new beers.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Buffalo Bill's Blueberry Oatmeal Stout Alström Bros
Ratings: 469 | Reviews: 241
3.16/5  rDev -4.5%

Picked this one up on whim because my girlfriend was curious about it. Admittedly, I was a little hesitant because I couldn't really imagine a "fruity" stout. The good news is that the blueberry taste is not overwhelming at all, not too sweet. It has a nice pour and an decent taste. I can appreciate both the stout and blueberry qualities but it's just too hoppy for my taste.

It's a bit more carbonated than most stouts and pretty thin in feel. I'm glad I tried it but would probably not purchase it again.

3.67/5  rDev +10.9%

Buffalo Bill's Oatmeal stout Blueberry

I like the label on this beer, the blueberries look appealing. Anyway, it pours a dark brown with a head not lasting for more than a minute, but this usually happens with fruit beers. The brew glows a deep mahogany at the bottom of the glass; this beer doesn't seem lively but is still a pleasure to look at. Wow! They hit the nail on the head with the smell. It smells of sweet caramel malt complimented in accordance with blueberry, but it's not overwhelming. Not bad for a fruit beer. I can see myself drinking this on occasion, their pumpkin beer is better. Sweet caramel hits the tongue first followed by a combo of blueberry and maybe chocolate malt? I can't quite tell, the blueberry is dominant compared to the other flavor anyhow. Has a subtle boozy ending. Thick beer, heavy mouth feel, semi-wet finish.

That's all I got on this one. Give it a try if you enjoy fruit beers, you won't be disappointed.

2.41/5  rDev -27.2%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass. Pours a dark brown and puts up a 1" tan head. Smells of blueberries (surprise, surprise) and mild chocolate, with the oats giving it a bready aroma. Taste is not that great. If I put a bunch of blueberries in my armpits and ran 10 miles and put the into a beer. This is what I think it would taste like. Somewhat bitter on the palate. Good carbonation. Not the stout I reach for if I got a hankerin' for one.

2.62/5  rDev -20.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Appearance: Very dark brown/black with a very thin head that recedes quickly leaving behind minimal lacing.

Smell: Blueberries dominate the aroma along with oatmeal and a hint of banana.

Taste: Definitely some blueberry flavor but, unfortunately, it comes across as a bit synthetic. Moderate hop character. Not tasting too much of the oatmeal. Honestly, I'm a bit disappointed.

Mouthfeel: The carbonation is not right and gets in the way of the taste. The body is also much lighter than one expects from a stout.

Overall: This was not a terrible beer but it is certainly not something that I will be purchasing again.

4.02/5  rDev +21.5%

Appearance = Nice and dark.
Smell = Smells more like blueberries than beer.
Taste = Kind of a standard stout taste with a hint of blueberry flavor.
Mouthfeel: Okay.
Drinkability: Pretty good, but I can't see drinking a sixpack of this in one sitting.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from 12oz Bottle into Pint Glass.

The beer is dark, dark brown and almost completely opaque save for some very deep red, almost purple, glints around the edges. A full inch of foamy off-white head settles to a bit more than a quarter inch. Fair lacing.

Blueberry aromas aren't shy, but this beer doesn't smack you upside the head with them, either. Rather, they come with a toasty maltiness that matches them in intensity. Hints of green apple, wood, alcohol and coffee beans round it out.

The blueberry almost takes a backseat on this one. Very mild coffee or burnt toast flavor with a bit of sourness overlaying it that I can't readily identify. Blueberry fruitiness comes in just before the finish, which is dry and roasty.

The beer is pleasantly full, which I expect of a beer billing itself as an oatmeal stout, but it lacks the creaminess I also expect. Rather, there is an almost tangible roughness that is not unpleasant, but also unexpected.

The beer is complex and doesn't overcommit in any given direction, but it's weight and the blueberry character certainly limit it to no more than a couple of pints. Still, it's a great beer for the cooler months and I'm glad to have picked it up. There won't be any trouble finishing these off.

4.65/5  rDev +40.5%

Not what i was expecting at all. An interesting Bluberry beer that pours far darker and heavier than most fruit beers. The Stout gives ita good, full body and the blueberry aroma is definitely there but not overwhelming. Tastes very smooth on the mouth and was very easily drinkable. An excellent winter beer, with a summer taste.

1.46/5  rDev -55.9%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a glass.

A: Your typical black stout. No light passes through...a small light head forms.
S: Little bit of blueberry in the nose, also a chemical like odor, fairly unpleasant.
T: Unfortunately, the taste of this beer reminded me very much of vomit. It had a harsh taste up front, a faint touch of blueberry on the palate, and then had the finish of bad artificial sweetener. Very unpleasant.
M: Somewhat thin in body.
D: I was really looking forward to this stout. It was a complete letdown for me. The taste was awful, and I could barely finish one beer. This was the closest I've ever come to a drain pour.

3.76/5  rDev +13.6%

APPEARANCE
Pours of a very dark brown. Retains very little head.

SMELL
Definitely has a very strong smell of sweet blueberries.

TASTE
It is made of roasted malts with a hint of sweetness. If there is some oats, it is not very prominent.

MOUTHFEEL
It is well-carbonated, but has a creamy feel.

OVERALL
It is an ok beer. It is different from the Seadog Blueberry because this is a stout. It is a very good attempt and is well worth a try.

3.03/5  rDev -8.5%

The beer poured a very thin head which dissipated quickly. It had a dark coloration like typical Oatmeal Stouts and had the texture of a typical one. The smell wasn't bad, however I found both the smell and taste (referring to the blueberries) more absent of the blueberry I would have preferred. Subtle is good, absent is less so. Overall it wasn't a bad brew, but just a very average one. Certainly I've had worse blueberry beers, and its worth trying. The texture of the stout was typical, and I was glad that it didn't have a syrupy flavor to it.

3.83/5  rDev +15.7%

This oatmeal stout reminds me of my childhood. I spent many a summers eating oatmeal with blueberries. It had a very pleasing aroma of blueberries. The taste was very appealing with hints of blueberries and hops. I enjoyed this beer to the fullest potential.

4.24/5  rDev +28.1%

pours a very dark brown/black with next to no head, only a beige ring around the glass.

smells very malty with a mix of blueberry.

strong, bold taste. smokey with a blueberry hint. complex taste. the blueberry hint is what lingers. this is a rather smooth brew, especially for a stout.

good drinkability, although I'm not sure if I could handle more than one or two at a time.

3.98/5  rDev +20.2%

Poured into a snifter. The first thing you notice is the blueberry aroma. The blueberry doesn't totally overshadow everything else, it works well with the rest of the beer. You get a nice roasty note up front, then the finish is all blueberry. The mouthfeel is relatively smooth for the style. This was very drinkable, I could easily drink a few of these in one sitting.

3.28/5  rDev -0.9%

Blueberry for sure. The appearance is very nice, dark and rich looking, after that... just goes down hill. The aroma is nice, smells like... blueberry. The taste like an unsweetened blueberry with a hit of what seems to be molasses. But goes down with a syrupy bitter stickiness. Not horrible but I think this is a one hit wonder in my book.

1.94/5  rDev -41.4%

I usually love Buffalo Bill. Their Orange Blossom is superb, but this product needs work.

The bottle may have spent some time at the local liquor store, but I would hope they tested for settling or protein coagulation. Upon pouring the bottle into a glass the beer looked like a snow globe, and no amount of stirring, swirling, etc would break up the globs of blueberry mush, or whatever it was. I wasn't afraid to drink it (I'm the kind of guy who drinks chicha) but it was pretty horrifying. I actually got on here tonight to see if anyone else saw this. To the rating!

a: Horrifying protein, or blueberry, or yeasy or whatever haze. Would make a new beer drinker think it was unsafe.

s: Mild toasty notes familiar to a stout.

t: Flat stout taste with hints of fruity esters.

m: Thin for an oatmeal stout, thickened by haze globs.

d: I won't be going back with out all my gaurds up.

A: Typical dark brown look of an oatmeal stout

S: Smells is slight coffee, but a lot of blueberry. But in a good way.

T: The purest may not like this one, but I really enjoyed it. Most fruit flavored beers usually overpower you with sweetness, but this one just hits the spot. Blueberry doesnt sound like it will mix well with a stout but it really does. Very smooth.

M: Typical stout mouthfeel, very nice.

Summary: If you are in the mood for a fruit beer or just something different, give this one a try

4.42/5  rDev +33.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

The best part of the beer it the subtle scent of blueberry pancakes when you hover your nose over it. You can barely notice when you drink it but I love this beer.

3.3/5  rDev -0.3%

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass - Tasted on 4/28/2009. Bottle brewed by Pyramid on for Buffalo Bill's brewery. I've also had this beer previously on tap at the Brewery itself.

Appearance -- Dark brown/tan with very little head. Head disappeared very quickly, leaving a slight rim of bubbles around the edge of the glass. Clear head, and minimal lacing.

Smell -- Immediate smell is the smell of syrupy blueberries, with a hint of oatmeal and malts. Smells pretty good, although not as good as the tap.

Taste -- I'm not the biggest fan of fruit beers (although I like blueberry), but I do like dry ciders. The beer itself is relatively dry and has a pretty strong taste of blueberry. The finish is slightly bitter, with the malt and hop flavors coming out in the finish and aftertaste. The blueberry flavor is slightly tart and sour, the way I like it. Not much other depth to it, and the oatmeal flavors do not come out at all. I personally like how the Blueberry is done (in comparison to other Blueberry beers), however there needs to be much more of an Oatmeal Stout flavor.

Mouthfeel -- Not too heavily carbonated, and relatively thin... However, there is a bit of a syrupy stickiness that seems to impart itself, which definitely gets minus points. That syrupy stickiness isn't present in the draft version of this beer.

Drinkability -- Average. There's nothing special about the drinkability of this beer, and the relatively high ABV for a fruit beer doesn't really make it a sessions beer either.

Overall -- Get it on draft if you can -- the beer moves up one whole range in my opinion. The bottles are OK if you can get them for cheap (I know that Grocery Depot in California tends to carry Buffalo Bills 6-packs for 4-5 bucks).

4.07/5  rDev +23%

A- This beer looks amazing once it is out of the bottle and in the glass. Has a redish wine tint.

S-SMELLS LIKE BLUEBERRIES! Awesome smell, couldnt wait to drink it!

T- Its a little blah when if comes to the first taste. After drinking it for a bit you can taste the blueberries everytime you breathe. I would say the aftertaste is what made it 3.5 for me, first taste is more of a 2.

M- No head on the beer, wish it had some sort of head. Other than that its not bad going down or anything like that. It was from the bottle so im guessing fresh it would have a head.

O-Ill buy this one again

3.45/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

A- has a small caramel head that quickly dissipates with no lacing. The color is dark black. The appearance reminds me of Coca-cola

S- faint blueberry and coca smell

T- the blueberry is very faint. it has a bitter coca taste with a distinct after taste

M - feels more carbonated than it looks

O- If you drink this too cold it has very little flavor. Also even though it is listed as 7.5% ABV it feels stronger than that

3.5/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

I have had this beer a couple of times to make sure that I am rating it accurately. The smell, head and body all appear to be something that you will love, however, the finish, mouth and taste lack in what we typically would like in an outmeal stout. I have found that drinking it at a higher temperature yields a much better result - albeit, that is only after two trials. My recommendation - serve at around 60 degrees... The best comes out in it at that range.

3.97/5  rDev +19.9%

Pours an opaque purplish black, with a soft, cream-colored head that fell fast. Sort of a "wet" viscosity, and only minor lacing. The blueberry dominates the scent, and combines with bready, malty sweetness to create a very blueberry-muffin-like aroma. Mouthfeel is very silky and smooth; drinks nice and easy (particularly for a 7.5% ABV) with less blueberry in the flavor than I'd have anticipated based on the smell. Taste in general is malty and pleasant, a little grainy/bready; there is some mild carbonation spikiness and a wet, creamy mouthfeel on the front end, which overlaps into a contrastingly clean, smooth, almost dry middle; then, the subtle tart blueberry notes become a little more noticeable, along with some mellow but distinct herbal hop bite in the finish. Slight blueberry notes hang nicely in the aftertaste. While doing nothing really wrong, it's somehow not quite mind-blowing; but this is certainly a neatly balanced, very drinkable stout, that doesn't let the sweetness of its theme overpower. In fact, it is much better than I expected it to be, and a stout I would happily drink again. Give it a shot if you see it.

3.03/5  rDev -8.5%

Nearly black pour with ruby hues at the edges; insane amounts of head, even with a gentle pour. Some sweetness to the smell but blueberries don't stick out in the smell or the taste. Don't get any of the silky smoothness I would expect from an oatmeal stout. A standard stout with not much else going on. Drinkable but nothing special about it.

3.42/5  rDev +3.3%

I'm not a big fan of fruit in beers. Makes me think of Zima, or Bartle's and Jayme's. But there are some standouts that keep me from writing them off -- Pyramid's Apricot Ale is one, and Buffalo Bill's Pumpkin Ale is another. So when my fiance brought home a 12oz of BB's Blueberry stout, I figured it was worth a try.

Nothing exceptional or memorable to note about the pour. Maybe a little thinner and a little less head than you'd traditionally expect from a stout, but not dramatically "off," either.

Aroma is _all_ about the blueberries. Very distinct and recognizable from the mouth of the glass. The taste is actually more subtle; not as sweet as I'd feared from the smell and the oatmeal comes through as a kind of grainy undertone.

We split the single 12oz between us, so I didn't get as many sips as I'd usually have to work out the flavor profile. By taste alone, I'm not sure I could have identified this as "blueberry." Something-berry, yes, but if you told me it was blackberry or raspberry, I might have believed you. But the nose definitely gives it away -- it's unmistakable.

3.87/5  rDev +16.9%

Nice dark brown with a slight tinge of red when held up to the light. Small dense head, with some nice fine lacing.
Little bit of malt, hop and roastiness in the aroma, but mostly blueberry.
Taste is slightly roasty and hoppy with the blueberry predominating, but not overwhelming.
The mix is different, but works pretty well together.
A little thin bodied for an Imperial stout.
Finishes smooth.
Very drinkable beer, interesting.

Buffalo Bill's Blueberry Oatmeal Stout from Buffalo Bill's Brewery