Buffalo Bill's Pumpkin Ale - Buffalo Bill's Brewery

Buffalo Bill's Pumpkin AleBuffalo Bill's Pumpkin Ale

poor

Buffalo Bill's Brewery visit their website

Pumpkin Ale |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-01-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Buffalo Bill's Pumpkin Ale Alström Bros

Poured from a 12 oz bottle bought as a single.

A-Cloudy orange hase with virtually no head and no lacing. Does not look like a beer, but more like a cloudy orange soda.

S-A sour lemon like smell with a hint of pumpkin. I hate to say this but it smells a bit like urine. Not particularly appealing

T-Sour continues with the taste and finish. Some cinnamon, allspice, perhaps a bit of nutmeg. This really tastes awful.

M-Highly carbonated and thin.

D-Undrinkable, utterly, completely and fully, and down the drain it goes.

Notes: I enjoy pumpkin ales, but some of them are truly bad, and this is one. Glad I only bought the single. I can't imagine that any brewery can continue to sell this to anyone.

1.1/5  rDev -62.6%

12 oz bottle, poured into Samuel Smith pint glass. No freshness date.

A - Nice 2 finger head, a bit bubbly and lasts nicely. Wait a second... is this beer actually orange?! It looks like Kool-Aid with a head on it.

S - Chemically-induced pumpkin and cinnamon and other unmentionable spices. Putrid.

T - Terrible amount of spice that attacks the tongue. I've never had a beer taste so unnatural. Could I even pronounce one of the ingredients of this beer?

M - Hard to tell since my mouth is recoiling in fear and disgust. Nothing notable in this category: light yet biting.

D - About the worst thing I have ever put to my lips. Not tolerable in the least. Down the sink it goes.

1.15/5  rDev -60.9%

Did a light pour and head fizzed up to fill and overflow the bottle off of just 1/8 of the bottle poured into a 16 oz glass. That was some massive head right there. Kept fizzing up like a monster. Definitely not attractive or easy to drink.

Smells like light pumpkin aroma mixed with some rather heavy-handness with the spices. Could smell pumpkin, allspice, nutmeg, mace, and a couple others. Nutmeg/mace were most prominent though.

Tasted like a slice of pumpkin pie... if it was made of 90% spices and 10% pumpkin. You get a bit of pumpkin then the spices overwhelm you. Hope you like mace and nutmeg. It's like drinking liquid nutmeg with a dash of pumpkin.

Mouthfeel was awful. Still have this horrible alcohol aftertaste that burns in the back of my throat. Can still taste spices everywhere. No hint of pumpkin. It's creamy at first due to the massive head but then that creaminess disappears the instant it hits your mouth. Spices then pummel your palate. I don't know if I can even taste anything else for the rest of the day.

I wouldn't drink this. And if it was a part of a mixed pack, I'd seriously consider the value of the pack as distributed across the pack minus one beer since this beer is only going to be poured out or given away.

1.18/5  rDev -59.9%

this is the worst beer i have ever had. i hate pumpkin pie, and i love beer, but the two were never meant to be together. i absolutely could not finish more than one. i could probably drink a pint of goat piss before i could drink another drop of this insane combo of nasty disasterous shat.

1.2/5  rDev -59.2%

Poured a very clear dark golden yellow with a finger of fizzy white head that quickly receded into oblivion. The color looked decent, but that was all it had going for it.

I took a whiff and was met with a nose burning mix of spices. There was some cinnamon and tons and tons of nutmeg.

The taste was a mix of sweetness and spices. There was lots, and by lots I mean a truck load, of spicy nutmeg present from start to end. The nutmeg became stronger and lingered long after the sweet finish.

The mouthfeel was very thin with lots of soda like carbonation.

I did not taste any pumpkin flavors at all in this beer. By the end of the glass the copious amounts of nutmeg were starting to dry out and irritate my throat.

1.2/5  rDev -59.2%

Buffalo Bills pours much lighter than I anticipated. It looks yellowish orangish as I gaze at it in my glass. The head pours soapy white and disapperas before my very eyes. You know how on T.V. when there are earthquakes in movies and the fault lines just open up, the ground just caves in as the line gets longer and longer, thats the appearance of this head. Absolutely terrible. I mean this is worse than the heads on BMC porducts. Lacing is non existant.

Aroma of this beer is also quite strange. It is definitely spiced. However this beer does not smell like other pumpkin ales. It has a real sweet, cloyingly sweet aroma that just doesn't seem to fit in. Feels real hot, if you know what I mean. The only thing redeeming about the aroma is that it is strong.

Ohh God, I've got a feeling this is going to be bad, judging from the previous two areas. I don't know how they do Pumpkin Pie out in California, but this is not how the Eastern Coast or the Pilgrims, Puritans and our founding ffathers did it. It is not intended to taste like this. This tastes more like a spiced wassail or something than like a beer. The spices overpower every thing in this beer. This one is just way off the mark. Buffalo Bills Brewery....Get on my level!

As can be expected from my previous 10 minutes of experience with this beer I can say that the mouthfeel is infact bad. This beer is thin, and feels flat. How is this beer still on the market? I mean it is aweful! It doesn't even represent the style of pumpkin ale. If I didn't know better in a blind test I don't even know if I'd be able to tell if this is beer. It is that off the mark. I will not be buying this beer ever again in my life time. Do not buy this beer, you will be dissapointed and find that you have wasted your money. Caveat Emptors!

Edit:Now that I think of it the taste and aroma reminded me of Hot Tamales, I mean seriously what the hell were they thinking? Artistic Interpretation is one thing, but this is just blasphemy.

1.25/5  rDev -57.5%

Wasn't sure what to expect when I tried this, but it certainly wasn't what I was hoping for. Pours a crystal-clear golden-orange with no head or lace to speak of. Smells of strong sweet cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg with very slight hops. The aroma gives you some expectation that the beer will have interesting flavor. Alas, the taste is completely lacking. Cloyingly sweet with very strong cinnamon and nutmeg flavors. No ale characteristics to speak of. Has the mouth-feel of carbonated water. Undrinkable (I couldn't finish it, at least).

1.25/5  rDev -57.5%

Presentation: 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass. Printed with "20 5 08" on the top label, which I presume to be a bottling date.

A- Slightly hazy amber. Pours with a massive, overflowing white head.

S- An offensive, strong pumpkiny/coppery/metallic smell. As the beer warms slightly, the metallic elements become even more pronounced. Awful.

T- Just like the smell, and absolutely awful. Terrible.

M- Wet....medium carbonation. Hard to be objective or even concentrate on this aspect given the highly offensive taste.

D- Nil. I couldn't. I drank just enough to get angry at myself for taking a few sips too many.

Future outlook: Hmmmm...no thank you.

1.3/5  rDev -55.8%

Pours copper/orange with plenty of clarity. A white foamy head descends to a disappearing thin cover.

The smell and taste are of pumpkin puree. Metallic and funky. Spicy in a medicinal/herbal way with a near-ridiculous amount of nutmeg. Pumpkin comes through in an artificial-fruit way. Some Band-Aids in the finish.

Yikes - this is awful...no "beer quality" and hardly any pumpkin pie flavor.

It's rather thin with quite a bit of carbonation that helps wipe away the flavor. Normally, that's not a good thing, but I find myself being grateful in this case.

Nasty stuff here. It's the "original" that has been outdone by many. Pass on this one - a medicinal/herbal mess.

1.3/5  rDev -55.8%

This beer gave me a headache. Seriously.

It looks fine. Pours an orangish yellow with a minimal white head.

Smell is of cloves and sugar with a bit of cinnamon.

It tastes like spices. This should not be called a Pumpkin ale. It should be called a pumpkin pie spice ale because that is all I taste. Cloves cloves cloves with a bit of cinnamon and other such nonsense.

It also gave me a headache on the 2 separate nights I drank it. I do not appreciate being given a headache. Bad beer.

1.33/5  rDev -54.8%

I've had pumpkin beer before, and i've had spiced beer before, so when i picked this up i had high hopes. These hopes died when i took my first swig.

First of all, i can't taste the pumpkin at all. Well, maybe a little, but isn't pumpkin the whole point? What i can taste is spice. Spice that overwhelms any other flavor that may dwell beneath. Really not enjoyable to drink, unless you really, really like ginger and cinnamon. I couldn't finish the first bottle and gave the rest of the six pack away to unsuspecting friends.

1.4/5  rDev -52.4%

Pours an orangey amber colour, head is dense and respectable. Sticks around quite well. Hardly any lacing. Very slow bead. Meh.

Holy shizzle, sickly sweet nose with a sort of dried fruit kind of character. Yeah, a bit of spice like cloves or something, but mostly just sickly sweet and horrible. I'd give it a 5 if I were judging it on the ability to smell sweet, disgusting and like cloves, but as a beer, meh.

Tastes like cloves. It's never been a huge ambition of mine to drink liquid cloves. Mouthfeel is sharp and tacky. If you're looking for a beer that tastes like cloves, this is it. If you're looking for a beer that's even slightly good, look elsewhere.

1.4/5  rDev -52.4%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1

A: Clear light brown. Thin head, no lacing.

S: Very mild aromas of nutmeg or cinnamon. Basically lacking in a nose.

T: A little malty sweetness that tastes like it was infused with pumpkin pie.

M: Medium bodied, ok carbonation. Muddled, inexpressive flavors.

D: Easy to finish a sixer and it's a nice Thanksgiving beer with company. Wouldn't buy again.

1.43/5  rDev -51.4%

I received a 12 ounce capped long-neck bottle from a co-worker in exchange for similarly sized bottle of Imperial Stout. I bit on the exchange based on my co-workers assertion that he and his new female friend really "enjoyed" this brew and he was interested in my impression.

A: It was copper colored with an orange tint to the body. The one finger head was off white and receded to a ring around the collar and a partial cover of the surface of the brew. The ring was sustained for some time by an aggressive carbonation and the ring produced a jagged lacing that was more entertaining than the taste of this beer.

S: The aroma was not what I expected. There was the expected pumpkin odor that included nutmeg and cinnamon. However, there an even more dominant and distracting odor that was reminiscent of a diluted cleaning solution.

T: The spice and pumpkin flavors were a recessive component of the flavor. More dominant was the pungent, sour taste of lime scented pinesol.

M: Thin body with a tangy spicy early sensation followed by a chemical and sour aftertaste.

D: My first and last. I'm biased against dominantly fruity and vegetable flavored beer, however, under the right conditions they have their place. My co-worker has stumbled on one of those 'right conditions' I hope someday to join him in a similar state of bliss.

Comment: After weighing the virtues of being honest versus blowing some smoke to maintain peace in the work place I decided my co-worker deserved the truth. Just as love (and/or a half-rack of macro lager) can cloud ones vision, I believe his taste buds were tainted by a layer of lust that gave this brew a boost in his esteem proportionate to the boost in his libido generated by his association with his new "friend." I hope beer helps keep them together but I pray their relationship, as well as their taste buds, mature.

1.45/5  rDev -50.7%

Halloween is four weeks away, but it's not too early to sample my first pumpkin ale. Said to be the original pumpkin ale, this batch was contract-brewed by Pyramid Breweries. On to the beer:

Very light bodied orange in color with a head that drops quickly into nothing. Lifeless appearance. It smells like autumn with an array of spices and pumpkin with a touch of dextrin. The taste begins with a flavor of seltzer water. A weak pumpkin flavor kicks in with a dizzying dose of more seltzer flavor that provides an astringent bitterness. Malt is detectable, but thin.There's not much else to be found. Feels like seltzer water too. After a few sips, it became hard to swallow. Do I have any takers for the rest of the sample?

The label describes this beer as "ale brewed with real pumpkin and spices". Now that might be true, but to me it tasted like "seltzer water with pumpkin extract and orange coloring". Okay, so this was my first pumpkin beer, but this sample was awful. One of the worst beers I've had the dishonor of trying.

1.45/5  rDev -50.7%

Pours a half finger of oranged white head over a cloudy light copper-rust liquid. Soda pop head rapidly disappears. Smells of old allspice and some nutmeg. Like a rarely used spice cabinet. Dirty earthy character, but no malt, esters, or pumpkin to speak of.

Blech! Tastes like stale allspice. Not enough nutmeg or cinnamon to balance the flavor and absolutely no pumpkin. The allpsice comes across as medicinal and hangs in the aftertaste unpleasantly. Md body that's a bit slick, but leave dry in the finish.

That's all I have to say as this beer is a dumper.

Buffalo Bill's Pumpkin Ale from Buffalo Bill's Brewery