1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.

Buffalo Bill's Pumpkin Ale - Buffalo Bill's Brewery

Buffalo Bill's Pumpkin AleBuffalo Bill's Pumpkin Ale

poor

Buffalo Bill's Brewery visit their website

Pumpkin Ale |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-01-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Buffalo Bill's Pumpkin Ale Alström Bros

JasonFromLA, Sep 23, 2013

ghowehattrick, Aug 22, 2013

Chugs13, May 30, 2012

DarthVegas23, Oct 08, 2013
1.5/5  rDev -48.6%

Clear amber-yellowbrew, perfectly clear. Thin white head of foamy bubbles. Minimal carbonation. No lacing. it's a bit insipid looking.

Allspice, nutmeg and clove character on the nose, but it's sickly and overdone. Overpowered by the added cloves. Way, way too much, ends up like a big bag of cloves.

Ridiculously thin body with almost no flavour. Like Budweiser with the flavour turned down, with only a lingering final hint of cloves. Very little character, almost nothing to it. Mouthfeel is as thin as anorexic water.

What the hell is this? Pumpkin is a rich, sweet creamy flavour. Pumpkin with pie spices even more so. This is watery insipid and bland. I said some even more flagrant things in my original review - suffice it to say I was incredibly disappointed with my first example of Pumpkin Ale.

lacqueredmouse, Oct 11, 2008

HopAG, Oct 20, 2012
1.5/5  rDev -48.6%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

I'm not really going to waste my time on a full review on this beer as I really don't feel it deserves one. I picked this up at Bevmo a few months ago hoping it would be decent at best. It's not. Even this bottle I let age for 5 additional months is not any better. The spices don't work - in fact they taste 'seperated' from the rest of the beer. Where's the pumpkin??? Tastes like they poured in a bunch of spices w/o worry about how overwhelming the spice is. The beer portion of this tastes bland and boring. Not recommended.

Rezzin, Mar 03, 2008

Budinetz, Sep 08, 2014
1.53/5  rDev -47.6%

Poured from 12oz bottle into pint glass.

Almost no head. More of a thick lace that dissipates quickly atop a dark golden brown brew. Lots of bubbles inside brew.

Smell is obviously pumpkin like - sort of on the sweet side.

Taste is very little pumpkin (or spice for that matter), more of just a beer taste. Taste more like a mass market pumpkin candy. Nothing great about this beer, yet it seems to be a popular seller. I do taste a tad bit of nutmeg, as well.

Mouth feel is fine if you can stand the bad taste, and I guess it is easily drinkable if you like drinking bad beer that has the taste of a truck stop pumpkin pie.

mattster, Dec 27, 2007
1.58/5  rDev -45.9%

sorry. this beer pours very light amber. little carbonation. no head. no lacing. smells of cloves and pumpkin smell. either i am not a pumpkin beer guy or this is just bad. sorry. i will try something else from this brewer cuz i hate to leave on the bad aftertaste that this beer leaves me and judge them on this alone.

giblet

giblet, Apr 20, 2008
1.65/5  rDev -43.5%

At first appearance i thought this was going to be extraordinary. The packaging looks Americana, the pour is heady and it has some nice initial aromas.

Then you taste...

Like the silent friend thats laughing to himself in the crowded room because he knows he cut something fierce- this is what that brewery did when you brought your 6 pack up to the counter to try to spend your hard earned money on an inferior product.

This is absolutely disgusting and possibly the worst pumpkin beer on the market. I wanted a beer-Not water with pumpkin spice. Disgusting disgusting disgusting!

HoppyHomo, Oct 06, 2012
1.68/5  rDev -42.5%

A - clear copper color. 1 finger head quickly dissapates into a bubbly thing cap thing.

S - sweet with spices. smells like it should.

T & M - very sweet and very very carbonated. mild spices and almost no pumpkin is present.

D - how this pumpkin soda passes for a beer is beyond me. avid this beer at all costs. don't even give it a try. drain poured after 3 sips...ugh!

PreacherBrewer, Oct 21, 2009
1.68/5  rDev -42.5%

I was not able to finish even half of the bottle that I bought of this stuff (thankfully it was a mix-six, so I didn't lose that much money). Had I known what I was in for I would've thrown it right in the trash (or never picked it up in the first place... that would've been nice).

Basically, it's a penny-colored, overly-carbonated spice fest. There were no detectable pumpkins in the aroma or the taste. It felt and tasted like I took a glass of seltzer water, dumped a crap ton of cinnamon spice in it, and chugged it. Again, no drinkability to it; stay far away from this stuff.

NOW! To be a bit a more constructive:

Lose some of that carbonation, Bill. Maybe try using some actual pumpkins next time (perhaps take a few notes from Dogfish Head's brew). Also, please spare our tongues and ease up on that spice, guys.

ReadyFireAim, Sep 09, 2008
1.68/5  rDev -42.5%

a - pours really foamy with a large white head that quickly fades, no lacing

s- smells pretty delish, pumpkin, cinnamon, spices

t- tastes like shit to put it nicely... if you've had shipyard pumpkin head, this tastes just like it - a crappy light beer with spice flavor

m- VERY harsh, tastes like a mouthful of crappy cheap macrobrew

d- not very pleasant - not gonna be drinking this ever again

this is very similar to shipyard pumpkinhead... like a generic, overcarbonated, tasteless beer with spices added and a picture of a pumpkin on the label... really cheap ($1.49) but still not even worth the money

wesl56, Oct 01, 2009
1.68/5  rDev -42.5%

tastes like a first attempt at home brew, slightly sour yeast flavor, cloudy amber appearance, smells neutral to sour, not a beer I would drink again. even michelobs pumpkin beer is better. do not, do not buy this at any price, just isnt worth the tourble

peppersugar, Jan 27, 2010
1.68/5  rDev -42.5%

Orange in color. Head was fizzy and dissapeared quickly. Aroma smelled ofsweet pumpkin puree. Upon first SIP, it was sweet up front but its body dissapeared. The malt is almost non existent. Ended up tasting like soda. Mothfeel was fuzzy and soda-like. Drain pour.

jbertsch, Nov 20, 2011
1.68/5  rDev -42.5%

Bought a six-pack just trying to find a pumpkin ale to use as a tool to make one myself.

Could not finish this one...and I tried...color was very weak, and it was like drinking soda water..too much fizz, absolutely no head, and the taste was not anything like I expected. My brewing companion and I tried as I said to get it down...but niether of us liked it.

Did not get a sense of pumpkin at all. Spice was evident, and the overall beer was not strong enough to carry it.

Not recommended

zuccard, Sep 28, 2006
1.73/5  rDev -40.8%

I was in a holiday beer mood, so this beer followed a Dogfish Head Punkin' Ale. The contrast was astounding - this is perhaps the most lop-sided spiced beer I've ever run across. Gigantic, overpowering clove. This should be designated "clove beer." Some nutmeg struggled to rise above the din, and no other flavor could make much of a dent in the spice onslaught. I happen to like clove, and that was the only reason I could finish the beer as a curiosity. I understand Portland contract brews this. They should be ashamed.

Brent, Nov 23, 2005
1.73/5  rDev -40.8%

I’ve got to admit; sometimes I have a sweet tooth when it comes to beer. I saw this beer in a local store, and after reading some of the reviews for Buffalo Bill’s Pumpkin Ale, I thought it would be real treat of pumpkin pie in a bottle. Instead I felt as though I was drinking a watered down lager that had some spice thrown in as an afterthought. Needless to say, I was quite disappointed.

The beer poured with a small head that dissipated very quickly to a thin ring around the glass and a couple lace spots on top. The color was a nice clear orange-amber. Aroma was primarily of spices, but seems a bit off to me. There are some faint hints of hops in the nose. There may be some malt in the aroma as well, but it was pretty well hidden by the spice. This held true for the taste as well. Tastes of spice – cinnamon and nutmeg – were noticeable more then any malt or pumpkin flavor, but over all the beer was rather bland with a fairly light and a somewhat watery mouthfeel. As with the aroma, the taste seems a bit off. I can't quite figure it, but the flavors just don't meld well with one another. Carbonation was moderate, and there were hints of hops in the finish.

Some have said that this beer is too sweet and even cloying. Didn’t seem to be in this case. Maybe it has changed a bit this season? It was more like a cheap spice candle to me then a pumpkin ale. The store I bought this from only sold it in six packs. Now I’ve got to figure out what to do with the other five...

byrd, Sep 10, 2003
1.73/5  rDev -40.8%

I was expecting much more from a beer with pumpkins, boy was I ever disappointed.
A: Cloudy orange in color. Scant little head with no lacing.
S: Pumpkin smell is barely there, it's literally overwhelmed by smells of ginger and cinnamon. No smells of malts or hops. This smells more like some alcoholic fizzy coffee shop drink.
T: Some pumpkin taste that can only be noticed after letting this one warm past the point I think I should drink this (read: almost room temp). The spices aren't as pronounced as the horrible smells would lead me to believe. Solid malt base. No real hop flavors.
M: Too fizzy, the carbonation carries the smells around the mouth and into the nose. If this beer smelled good, that would be a good thing. It's not. No noticeable alcohol warmth. Leaves a sickly sweet film on my tongue.
D&N: I really wanted to like this one. I can't. I've tried it cold, I let it warm up, all to no avail. I like pumpkins, I think I want to try a DFH before avoiding pumpkin beers from now on. This beer is just too mired down by the overwhelming heaviness of the spices. This is the first beer in a long time I poured into the sink.

JackTheRipper, Apr 23, 2005
look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Poured from 12oz brown bottle into a clear pint glass. No freshness date.

A: Light orange-brown with thin white foamy head which leaves as fast as it came with no lacing.

S: Lots of pumpkin pie spice, faint vegetable pumpkin odor, with no malt or hops to speak of.

T: Pretty close to undrinkable with artificial vegetable pumpkin and spice flavor that clouds any beer qualities. This could be carbonated pumpkin Kool-Aid for all the beer flavor that is there. The bitterness is palate-wrecking and combines with the spice to make a most unpleasant finish.

M: Thin, overcarbonated, and has a long, stale spice aftertaste.

D: A realy bad beer-- and by bad, I mean bad, not good.

argock, Mar 24, 2008
1.75/5  rDev -40.1%

Appearance - Pours a slightly burnt orange color with a finger width head, poor retention, and a lacing that's quite sparse.

Smell - Incredibly faint - hints of hints of pumpkin... and that's it.

Taste - Watery... scant hints of pumpkin, and a modicum of cinnamon spice... if even that.

Mouthfeel - Watery. Somewhat carbonated.

Overall - Good Lord! I thought this was the beer I had last year that had this incredible pumpkin flavor... but this tastes like diluted pumpkin water. This can't possibly be the same beer, can it?!?

TheSixthRing, Aug 18, 2012

g_jenkins, Oct 18, 2012
1.75/5  rDev -40.1%

A: A bit of a foggy gold, short head without much staying power and no lacing

S: Pretty literally smells like a store-bought pumpkin pie... pumpkin and cinnamon/nutmeg with little else. Not horrible smelling, though.

T + M: Not as pleasant tasting, unfortunately. Quite a thin body, and somewhat watery in both feel and flavour. The pumpkin takes a back burner to spiciness and something similar to when someone sprays too much perfume or hairspray nearby and it gets in the mouth. Pretty bad, and leaves a bit of a soapy finish.

D: It came as part of a "Winter Pack" along with 9 others - the other offerings seem a little more promising, but this one was not something I'd really look to drink again.

Proteus93, Jun 08, 2008