Buffalo Bill's Pumpkin Ale - Buffalo Bill's Brewery

poor

Buffalo Bill's Brewery visit their website

Pumpkin Ale |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-01-2001

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 1,116 | Reviews: 618
2.7/5  rDev -8.5%

Picked up a six at World Market in Greenville, SC for $3.99. Pours a pretty orange amber color with a thin head. Clove and nutmeg dominate the nose with a little cinnamon and pumpkin in the background. Taste is dominated by nutmeg to the point of being overbearing. Mouthfeel is a little on the thin side. One would be OK as a single after dinner drink. Definately not a session beer for me. Buffalo Bill needs to lighten up on the nutmeg next year.

3.17/5  rDev +7.5%

2006 bottle

I've had this in previous years and enjoyed it much less. This year's offering is noticeably improved. Smell and taste are of candy-ish pumpkin and some nutmeg. Taste also reveals a slight fruitiness, hinting that real pumpkin may have been used in brewing. Mouthfeel suffers a high carbonation level that seems out of place. Quite drinkable, and a nice early winter treat. A friend brought a six pack to a party, and I'll be happy to drink the left-overs.

3.1/5  rDev +5.1%

This brewery apparently has been craft brewing before the recent explosion and so is worth a try on that basis alone. Greg, crwills brought this one and thanks. Cinammon and nutmeg is pronounced in a lager, orange with a white head. Astringent and fizzy carbonation.

3.52/5  rDev +19.3%

A very flat pour, plain orange in colour, slightly hazy. Aroma super strong in clove especially, with lesser notes of basil, nutmeg, and typical pumpkin pie spices. Mouthfeel a little overly sweet, cloying in many regards. Taste is dominated by cinnamon mostly, again with light pumpkin flavour. Lots of spice but little else behind it, no hops and far too little malt to keep it standing. I coudl still enjoy it but not recommended.

2.53/5  rDev -14.2%

tasting party dec 6/06 with northyorksammy, crwills, biegaman and me (grub). everyone threw in a few bottles and we had an interesting mix of beer. this one was contributed by crwills, so thanks craig!

pours an orangey amber colour with very fine white head. no lace.

aroma is all about clove. tons and tons of clove and a little cinnamon. hint of bubblegum. light caramel. smells like a clove cigarette.

taste is about the same. tons of clove and a bit of cinnamon. bit of sweetness. kind of watery. it's like a glass of water after smoking a clove cigarette.

mouthfeel is poor. thin and watery with almost no carbonation.

drinkability is not great either. i'm really not a fan of pumpkin beers, but i think this one is my least favourite.

3.62/5  rDev +22.7%

I tend to be a fan of pumpkin ales. I like the spices and pie flavors. That said this one is a bit more artificial than some, that said what isn't artificial about pumpkin pie flavored beer. If you like flavored beers and are easily pleased by pumpkin ales is an approachable friendly one to try .

Appearance: Pours a pumpkin orange color with an off white head that fades.

Smell: Bold aroma of cinnamon nutmeg allspice clove and pumpkin.

Taste: The taste follows the nose. It is a straightforward spiced beer. If you like a light ale with pumpkin pie spice then what you see is what you get in this case.

Mouthfeel: Thin fizzy carbonation plays to the 'spritzer esque' quality of this seasonal beer, but despite being a bit thin it is fun to have at the right season.

Drinkability: I don't get very excited over this beer but I have some neighbors who do, and even a "non-beer drinker". It is easy friendly and a pleasant change of pace.

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers!

4.22/5  rDev +43.1%

This beer is just delicious! I always look forward to this one during the fall season. Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a pint glass. The beers appearance is deep orange, with a good 1/2 inch head, but faded quickly, leaving slight lacing along the glass. The aroma is all spices, mostly dominated by the cinammon, and a little nutmeg. The mouthfeel is thin, just making this beer that much easier to drink. The taste is great!! Cinammon again dominates the flavor of this beer, with a hint of the other spices in the back. No pumpkin taste to speak of, but once you get past that, this is a very tasty beer. Too bad this is only a fall release. Also a great beer to serve to those that dont normally drink beer, during holiday gatherings.

2.97/5  rDev +0.7%

Poured from a 120z bottle into a beer mug

A - Pleasant coppery-brown and a little cloudy. Head was little to non-existant.

S - Mostly all-spice, but there's hints of cinammon behind it. Unlike others, I could detect a slight pumpkin tang there too, but you have to get a really good whiff to get much more than the all-spice.

T - Again, the spices cover up the pumpkin flavour, which tends to come through more on the aftertaste. All-spice again takes the front seat, but there's an interesting complexity behind it.

M - A little too watery for my liking, especially given the cloudy appearance.

D - Glad I bought this as a single bottle as I'm not sure I'd really want another. If there's no better pumpkin ale avaiable, I guess this is worth picking up if you're desperate for some themed holiday beer.

2.97/5  rDev +0.7%

I bought a 6 pack of this beer and the artwork on the box and bottle is nice. This beer pours an orange/copper color. I have read reviews of this beer stating that it produces very little head so I decided to give it a pretty hard pour to see what would happen. With a hard pour I managed to get a foamy 2 inch head...however, it completely disappeared within 4 minutes.

The smell is ok...a lot of allspice, nutmeg, & cinnamon. I could not detect any pumpkin in the smell though.

The taste is good...again more pumpkin spices rather than pumpkin itself. It is quite enjoyable, however I don't think I could drink more than one of these at a time due to the spices.

Don't get me wrong, this beer is not bad but it could be so much more.

The mouthful is carbonated and some what light in weight.

This beer would be fun to serve to "non-Beer Advocate" people at a Holloween or Thanksgiving party. However, if you are wanting a great pumpkin beer than I would recommend going elsewhere.

Cheers.

2.45/5  rDev -16.9%

Pours out a clear effervescent light amber brew that has one finger of the white stuff.
Allspice is mostly all you can smell and you can smell this from across the room.
If the brew tasted like the nice spices then it would be a great drink.
This lacks flavor when it has so much to offer aromatically.
Mouthfeel is watery nothingness.
Didn't find this to be up to New Hollands standards.

2.1/5  rDev -28.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

This beer pours slightly hazed burnt orange color with practically no head to speak of.

The aroma will smack you in the face from a distance revealing super strong spicing with a hint of pumpkin. Nothing else can poke through this pumpkin pie in a bottle.

The taste if you can imagine would be similar if you took pumpkin flavoring, spices, and tonic water and made some confounded cocktail with it. It is a repeat of the aroma. Bleck!

This is a very light bodied brew with a slick watery finish.

Drinkability suffers greatly with the off-putting amount of spicing used in this beer. Not recommended...don't buy it!

2.38/5  rDev -19.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured a nice copper with a large light beige head the immediately dissolved to nothing much like soda does. This beer is very clean and clear. There was no lacing at all.

The aroma was very minimal to me. After several minutes I detected mostly nutmeg and clove. A vague similarity to pumpkin pie. I think it was just the cloves.

The taste of clove and nutmeg immediately hits confirming my conclusion of smell. When you let is sit in your mouth it gets sweet with a mild hop "bite." The taste of pumpkin pie that you may expect going in to it just isn't really there. Finally, the taste doesn't linger very long after swallowed.

It feels very carbonated and crisp from the spices. It also feels very thin.

This pumpkin ale is drinkable, but dissapointing. I will drink the sixer I bought, but most likely won't buy it again. I think that it could and should be more.

2.9/5  rDev -1.7%

This brew pours a copper coulour and sprouts a beige head that is quite fizzy and fleeting. It is fairly rich in carbonation and leaves no lacing behind. The nose is just as spicy as spices. It has a little crusty breadiness and some pumpkin to it, but it smells mainly of pepper, nutmeg, cloves and things of that spicy nature. The taste just slaps pepper across my mouth and then a smattering of nutmeg and cinnamon and cloves and potpourri before the malt and pumpkin flavours come in. I have no idea which spices are used in this concoction so my previous mentions are merely stabs in the dark. It is spiced up for sure. No doubt. The mouthfeel is light. Granny could deal with this before she inhales some turkey legs at Thanksgiving. She can have all of em if she feels so inclined because this is the last one I am ever drinking. I usually only drink one bottle of this style per year and this is not my favorite version. Not a bad beer. Just a bit spicy for me and short on the pie aspects and the pumpkin which are the best parts for me. Worth a try just for the seasonal pleasure of it.

3.17/5  rDev +7.5%

Smells, tastes a lot like pumpkin spice, but hardly any pumkin flavor. almost like a light pumpkin pie flavor.

sweet, not much body or mouthfeel in this beer.

good to try in the fall season but i dont think i would buy a sixer of this.

compared to other pumpkin beers ive tried...below average.

2.63/5  rDev -10.8%

Poured a light orange color into a pint glass. Fuzzy white head which dissipated rather quickly, leaving little lacing.

Aroma quite one dimensional. I smelled one spice, either allspice or cardamom, (could't tell which) and that was it. No pumpkin, or malt or hops to speak of.

Taste was nearly non-existent. Aside from a bit of spice, there was really no other flavor. Reminded me of someone brewing a light beer and tossing in from spice, then calling it a pumpkin beer. Although there weren't any really negative flavors with this beer, there just wasn't any flavor period.

Like drinking a glass of water.

Overall, when compared to other pumpkin ales I've tried, this one just didn't hold up. I wouldn't recommend this.

3.66/5  rDev +24.1%

Orange Amber color. Thin white head. No lacing.

Aroma, some spiciness, malt hint of pumpkin pie.

Taste. nutmeg, vanilla, cloves pumpkin pie. But not overwhelming.

Mouth-feel is surprisingly thinner than expected.

Mild aftertaste, not too bad.

This is my first pumpkin ale in a long time,
Drinkable, not too heavy, nice at a holiday meal or sitting around in the evening.

2.52/5  rDev -14.6%

I was at the beer store and I purchased the pumpkin ale or should I say Spice ale. I poured the bottle into a frosty mug and it came out a nice amber copper tone. The smell is very strong with hints of cinnamon, pumpkin and various other spices. The taste of the beer was ok; I guess the only problem with the beer is that it’s only good for a couple of sips before the spices really start to mess with your mouth. Overall it’s a nice beer to try but I strongly don't recommend drinking a whole 6pack like I did.

2.75/5  rDev -6.8%

I grabbed a six-pack of Buffalo Bill's Pumpkin Ale at a grocery store to taste and review. It was an impulse buy. I poured this beer in to a pint tumbler.

Pours a pale copper color and is clear. A thin white head forms and dissapates rather quickly to a resilient ring around the surface of the beer. There is virtually no lacing on the sides of the glass.

The smell is strong and spicey. Cinnamon.

The taste is also very spicy, cloves, allspice and cinnamon. There is very little vegetable or squash flavor.

Mouthfeel is light and crisp, perhaps a bit watery.

This is a drinkable beer, but more of a spice ale than a pumpkin. I think there are better pumpkin ales. It's a nice seasonal ale, and would be a good holiday choice as well. I wouldn't want to drink much of this on a regular basis

2.85/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

A - Pours a clear golden orange with 2 fingers of off white head.

S - Allspice and pumpkin, maybe a touch of cinnamon and a hint of citrus.

T - Spicy, allspice is dominant, with a touch of earthy pumpkin. I went through the spice rack to make sure I had my spices right and as soon as I opened the allspice I could tell that was the dominating flavor in this beer.

M - Light to medium and well carbonated.

D - I have come to like pumpkin beers in the fall and this is one I will not be trying again. It was way too heavy on the allspice and it would be tough to drink more than one.

2.16/5  rDev -26.8%

Poured from a 12oz bottle with no date. Bottle notes that brewed under contract with Pyramid. Had a large head to quickly dissappeared. Also had a ton of carbonation. Smell was mainly of nutmeg with some pumpkin and other spices. The taste was again mostly nutmeg and a little pumpkin. Had average mouthfeel. Overall, an OK have once a year maybe kind of beer but nothing special. Worth trying but mainly just to mark off the list. (2.0, RB, ML, N)

3.12/5  rDev +5.8%

Pours an orangish-amber color with a bubbly beige head, which although very thin has a nice retention.

Spicy nose with a hint of pumpkin. Nutmeg, allspice, cinnamon, and cloves are all identifiable. Light caramel malt background. Very clean.

This is my first pumpkin ale and one of very few available on the West Coast, so unfortunately I have little to compare it to. The taste is mild but pleasant. This one really reminds me of pumpkin pie. Discernable pumpkin and cinnamon with a number of other spices a little softer in the background. The malt I smelled earlier seems to have disappeared.

Light-bodied with decent carbonation. Highly drinkable, but a little too much spice for a session beer. In all I don't think this is a bad first taste of a pumpkin ale, though I think a little heavier malts would be a good thing. Pleasant but not particularly impressive.. I'd recommend to anyone looking for something different.

1.94/5  rDev -34.2%

Poured into a pils glass it forms an active fizzy head that falls to an ultra thin sheet. No lacing. Copper body, clean clarity, rows of fine carbonation.

Faint hints at pumpkin. Candy Corn, Medicinal, brown sugar, nutmeg and assorted spices. Potpouri florist showroom Jones. Tea like flavor with some hard candy. Doughy malts give this a bakery feel to the profile.

Notes: This is more like the pumkin pie crust with brown sugar on top. It was drinkable although that doesn't say much considering I've yet to drain a beer. This is novelty beer and brewed as such.

3.3/5  rDev +11.9%

This beer starts out so much better than it finishes. Pours to a copper color with white head that dissipates quicklly to leave nothing. Wonderful aroma of spices, mostly cinnamon and nutmeg, with a touch of clove. Upon initial sips, the flavor follows the aroma. Very quickly, however, this taste is offset by the watery finish and bitter pumpkin aftertaste. No alcohol makes itself known, so the final result is a less than memorable end to a beer that started out so promising.

3.21/5  rDev +8.8%

12 oz bottle poured into an Imperial pint glass. A clear amber orange color. Fizzy looking head that quickly disappears, no lacing. Smell is spicy with cinnamon, all-spice, and pumpkin. Taste follows strongly plus a sweet maltiness. Mouthfeel is a bit on the light, I would have preferred a creamier mouthfeel. I have enjoyed this beer, and as I worked my way through the six pack this month, I think it has grown on me. The last one was definitely better than the first.

2.82/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

not a very pretty beer. a little too light in color and the head deminished almost immediately. aroma is very light, but it's malty and there is a hint of pumpkin and spices. first flavor is astringent and watery. there is some malty sweetness hiding and a light spicy clove and cinnamon. maybe some ginger. pumpkin tastes kind of soured. way too crisp and biting mouthfeel. this along with the astringency makes this beer taste cheap. a little difficult to finish at first, but calms down about half way. not a very good pumpkin ale even with a slice of pumpkin pie to compliment.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Buffalo Bill's Pumpkin Ale from Buffalo Bill's Brewery