Buffalo Bill's Pumpkin Ale - Buffalo Bill's Brewery

Buffalo Bill's Pumpkin AleBuffalo Bill's Pumpkin Ale

poor

Buffalo Bill's Brewery visit their website

Pumpkin Ale |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-01-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Buffalo Bill's Pumpkin Ale Alström Bros
2.88/5  rDev -2%

This brew pours a copper coulour and sprouts a beige head that is quite fizzy and fleeting. It is fairly rich in carbonation and leaves no lacing behind. The nose is just as spicy as spices. It has a little crusty breadiness and some pumpkin to it, but it smells mainly of pepper, nutmeg, cloves and things of that spicy nature. The taste just slaps pepper across my mouth and then a smattering of nutmeg and cinnamon and cloves and potpourri before the malt and pumpkin flavours come in. I have no idea which spices are used in this concoction so my previous mentions are merely stabs in the dark. It is spiced up for sure. No doubt. The mouthfeel is light. Granny could deal with this before she inhales some turkey legs at Thanksgiving. She can have all of em if she feels so inclined because this is the last one I am ever drinking. I usually only drink one bottle of this style per year and this is not my favorite version. Not a bad beer. Just a bit spicy for me and short on the pie aspects and the pumpkin which are the best parts for me. Worth a try just for the seasonal pleasure of it.

3.13/5  rDev +6.5%

Smells, tastes a lot like pumpkin spice, but hardly any pumkin flavor. almost like a light pumpkin pie flavor.

sweet, not much body or mouthfeel in this beer.

good to try in the fall season but i dont think i would buy a sixer of this.

compared to other pumpkin beers ive tried...below average.

2.63/5  rDev -10.5%

Poured a light orange color into a pint glass. Fuzzy white head which dissipated rather quickly, leaving little lacing.

Aroma quite one dimensional. I smelled one spice, either allspice or cardamom, (could't tell which) and that was it. No pumpkin, or malt or hops to speak of.

Taste was nearly non-existent. Aside from a bit of spice, there was really no other flavor. Reminded me of someone brewing a light beer and tossing in from spice, then calling it a pumpkin beer. Although there weren't any really negative flavors with this beer, there just wasn't any flavor period.

Like drinking a glass of water.

Overall, when compared to other pumpkin ales I've tried, this one just didn't hold up. I wouldn't recommend this.

3.7/5  rDev +25.9%

Orange Amber color. Thin white head. No lacing.

Aroma, some spiciness, malt hint of pumpkin pie.

Taste. nutmeg, vanilla, cloves pumpkin pie. But not overwhelming.

Mouth-feel is surprisingly thinner than expected.

Mild aftertaste, not too bad.

This is my first pumpkin ale in a long time,
Drinkable, not too heavy, nice at a holiday meal or sitting around in the evening.

2.45/5  rDev -16.7%

I was at the beer store and I purchased the pumpkin ale or should I say Spice ale. I poured the bottle into a frosty mug and it came out a nice amber copper tone. The smell is very strong with hints of cinnamon, pumpkin and various other spices. The taste of the beer was ok; I guess the only problem with the beer is that it’s only good for a couple of sips before the spices really start to mess with your mouth. Overall it’s a nice beer to try but I strongly don't recommend drinking a whole 6pack like I did.

2.73/5  rDev -7.1%

I grabbed a six-pack of Buffalo Bill's Pumpkin Ale at a grocery store to taste and review. It was an impulse buy. I poured this beer in to a pint tumbler.

Pours a pale copper color and is clear. A thin white head forms and dissapates rather quickly to a resilient ring around the surface of the beer. There is virtually no lacing on the sides of the glass.

The smell is strong and spicey. Cinnamon.

The taste is also very spicy, cloves, allspice and cinnamon. There is very little vegetable or squash flavor.

Mouthfeel is light and crisp, perhaps a bit watery.

This is a drinkable beer, but more of a spice ale than a pumpkin. I think there are better pumpkin ales. It's a nice seasonal ale, and would be a good holiday choice as well. I wouldn't want to drink much of this on a regular basis

2.8/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

A - Pours a clear golden orange with 2 fingers of off white head.

S - Allspice and pumpkin, maybe a touch of cinnamon and a hint of citrus.

T - Spicy, allspice is dominant, with a touch of earthy pumpkin. I went through the spice rack to make sure I had my spices right and as soon as I opened the allspice I could tell that was the dominating flavor in this beer.

M - Light to medium and well carbonated.

D - I have come to like pumpkin beers in the fall and this is one I will not be trying again. It was way too heavy on the allspice and it would be tough to drink more than one.

2.15/5  rDev -26.9%

Poured from a 12oz bottle with no date. Bottle notes that brewed under contract with Pyramid. Had a large head to quickly dissappeared. Also had a ton of carbonation. Smell was mainly of nutmeg with some pumpkin and other spices. The taste was again mostly nutmeg and a little pumpkin. Had average mouthfeel. Overall, an OK have once a year maybe kind of beer but nothing special. Worth trying but mainly just to mark off the list. (2.0, RB, ML, N)

3.1/5  rDev +5.4%

Pours an orangish-amber color with a bubbly beige head, which although very thin has a nice retention.

Spicy nose with a hint of pumpkin. Nutmeg, allspice, cinnamon, and cloves are all identifiable. Light caramel malt background. Very clean.

This is my first pumpkin ale and one of very few available on the West Coast, so unfortunately I have little to compare it to. The taste is mild but pleasant. This one really reminds me of pumpkin pie. Discernable pumpkin and cinnamon with a number of other spices a little softer in the background. The malt I smelled earlier seems to have disappeared.

Light-bodied with decent carbonation. Highly drinkable, but a little too much spice for a session beer. In all I don't think this is a bad first taste of a pumpkin ale, though I think a little heavier malts would be a good thing. Pleasant but not particularly impressive.. I'd recommend to anyone looking for something different.

1.98/5  rDev -32.7%

Poured into a pils glass it forms an active fizzy head that falls to an ultra thin sheet. No lacing. Copper body, clean clarity, rows of fine carbonation.

Faint hints at pumpkin. Candy Corn, Medicinal, brown sugar, nutmeg and assorted spices. Potpouri florist showroom Jones. Tea like flavor with some hard candy. Doughy malts give this a bakery feel to the profile.

Notes: This is more like the pumkin pie crust with brown sugar on top. It was drinkable although that doesn't say much considering I've yet to drain a beer. This is novelty beer and brewed as such.

3.25/5  rDev +10.5%

This beer starts out so much better than it finishes. Pours to a copper color with white head that dissipates quicklly to leave nothing. Wonderful aroma of spices, mostly cinnamon and nutmeg, with a touch of clove. Upon initial sips, the flavor follows the aroma. Very quickly, however, this taste is offset by the watery finish and bitter pumpkin aftertaste. No alcohol makes itself known, so the final result is a less than memorable end to a beer that started out so promising.

3.23/5  rDev +9.9%

12 oz bottle poured into an Imperial pint glass. A clear amber orange color. Fizzy looking head that quickly disappears, no lacing. Smell is spicy with cinnamon, all-spice, and pumpkin. Taste follows strongly plus a sweet maltiness. Mouthfeel is a bit on the light, I would have preferred a creamier mouthfeel. I have enjoyed this beer, and as I worked my way through the six pack this month, I think it has grown on me. The last one was definitely better than the first.

2.8/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

not a very pretty beer. a little too light in color and the head deminished almost immediately. aroma is very light, but it's malty and there is a hint of pumpkin and spices. first flavor is astringent and watery. there is some malty sweetness hiding and a light spicy clove and cinnamon. maybe some ginger. pumpkin tastes kind of soured. way too crisp and biting mouthfeel. this along with the astringency makes this beer taste cheap. a little difficult to finish at first, but calms down about half way. not a very good pumpkin ale even with a slice of pumpkin pie to compliment.

4.15/5  rDev +41.2%

Bottle 12oz

A- This bottle is simply labeled with a good feel of the fall season. When poured it had a small head which slowly disappeared. Light orange color. Nice looking beer.

S- The smell this beer gave at first was of a smoked wood and then came the spices with a fruit smell. Not an strong smelling beer though.

T- This is the best part of this beer. Super smooth and easy to drink. It has a bold, but light fruity flavor with a good blend of spices.

M- Feels like a light ale would be. Easy on the buds with no bad after taste. A good everyday in the fall beer.

D- Easy to drink, with a clean crisp taste. Overall a good beer.

4.1/5  rDev +39.5%

After trying it on tap at the brewery, I had to go out and get the bottled version. Bottled by the Portland Brewery in OR, hmmmm, so I wonder if the draft version is the same as the bottled? They taste nearly identical, but I think the draft had more pumpkin essence, less spice, a bigger maltier body, and a hoppier bite. The bottled version isn't bad, but lacks a certain extra punch. All that aside, the marriage of pumkin and hoppy full-bodied ale is made in heaven, truly a perfect pairing. A great way to get into the fall spirit. There are other pumpkin ales out there, some may be better, but this one is still very worthy and would make a great fall tradition in my glass. Cheers!

3.98/5  rDev +35.4%

This beer pours a surprisingly dark amber with some light orange creeping in and no head to speak of.

Smells just like pumpkin. Seriously. I think this is the most straightforward pumpkin smell I’ve found in a beer of this style. Very nice. I’m also getting a doughy lager-esque pastiness here too with a dollop of honey and a light dusting of nutmeg and allspice.

The pumpkin comes through in the flavor too, but in an odd medicinal way coupled with some wheat and oats. The spices are here too, but distant. There is also a faint rauch bier smokiness to it in the finish. Intriguing.

The mouthfeel is medium boded with a light carbonation. Although it feels smooth, it leaves behind a sticky film.

Is this pumpkin taste real? I have no idea! Ignorance is bliss… I did a little exploring of thier site and they use real roasted pumpkin, so that changes my perspective a little.

2.4/5  rDev -18.4%

A clear pumpkiny amber with light bubbling. Crappy soap foam head. No retention. No lacing. A very soapy, bloody, spicey pumpkin mix greets the nostrils. Plenty of powdery pumpkin pie spices hit the tongue with the first sip. As the beer warms, the more harsh flavors mellow out a little and the malty pumkin-ness inches closer towards center stage on my tongue.

3.23/5  rDev +9.9%

Almost clear bronze / orange ale with a nice creamy 1/2 finger head that sticks around.

Home-made pumpkin pie aroma with crust and all! This smells more like pumpkin pie than any other pumpkin ale that I've tried so far. I love the smell of this! I wanna keep sniffing it for a while. Very low on the hop spectrum, but thick and malty in the nose with a big cinnamon candy presence also.

Cinnamon, allspice, and other spices are right up in your face, and a faint hint of pumpkin plays second fiddle. I'm reminded of those red cinnamon hard candies that have the red cellophane wrapper. This cinnamon spice is really quite overdone, and it maskes any pumpkin flavors that might be there. This has a bit of a peppermint flavor also.

Mothfeel is light to medium and drinkability is ok, but the cinnamon really is pretty overpowering. I like cinnamon, but this is overkill.

This isn't bad, but it should be called cinnamon ale, not pumpkin ale. The one thing this brew has going for it is the smell....it smells great, but tastes fake and candy-like as if some syrupy candy additive was added to the brew.

2.33/5  rDev -20.7%

Poured a 12 oz into a pint glass

A- Minimal head which dissapeared fairly quickly. The beer is a pleasing copper-burnt orange hue.

S-Faint spice, not much else. Spice aroma grew stronger as beer warmed

T-Not much pumpkin or spice taste to it. Mildly hopped, not much malt to speak of. There is a vague chemical taste that lingers.

M- Very light on the tongue, over carbonated in my opinion

D- While not overtly offensive, not particularly good either. I bought a six pack and will drink it, but will not be purchasing this again. there are much better pumpkin ales out there.

3.83/5  rDev +30.3%

It takes a lot for a pumpkin ale to standout because the style is to beer what candy corn is the candy industry: it only comes out in the fall, everybody makes their own non-distinct version, and when it first comes you’re exited because you think “Hmm, haven’t had this in a while, I bet it’ll be good.” And it is, which leads you consume a lot of it during the season, so much in fact that you eventually get sick of it and don’t miss it until it returns en masse next fall. So, as much as I like Pumpkin ales, I find hard to get too exited about them, nor do I usually have any thing really great to say about them, even though I drink loads of the stuff when the season comes around. But this one does stand out and I do have something nice to say about: not only is a smooth, solid example of the style, but unlike so many other pumpkin ales (even the superb ones) its excellent ginger flavor comes trough very nicely. Recommended.

3.45/5  rDev +17.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Pours a great looking orange beer. The foam was a little short and eventually disappeared completely.

Smell was a slightly weak pumpkin. Nothing wrong with that.

By the time I was half way through the glass, I could really taste a consistent pumpkin flavor. Some allspice, clover, a hint nutmeg. Or maybe it was just allspice.

Carbonation was high, and it is a crisp drink. Easy down the hatch.

I'm not a big fan of pumpkin beers. I can't really tell why one would bother. However, this one was able to hold the distinct flavor while not being annoying in any way.

3.55/5  rDev +20.7%

A - Slightly hazy copper, white head that doesn't last.

S - What can I say beyond it smells like a pumpkin pie? Very strong.

T - Very strong pumpkin-pie, but not as strong as the aroma.

M - Very light body, heavily carbed. Cleaner than I would have expected.

D - It's novelty wears off pretty fast...I don't think I could drink a lot of these.

2.68/5  rDev -8.8%

Served in a pint glass the beer pours an orange/amber color, with a good sized white head which goes away very quickly. Very strong smell of cloves, along with pumpkin, nutmeg and other spices. Probably the best smelling, or at least it has the strongest smell of the pumpkin beers I've had lately. However, the taste isn't as strong. The taste is mainly of cloves and other spices with a small bit of pumpkin. The mouthfeel is watery and thin, and it's more soda-like than anything else. The drinkability is OK, but not great. The aroma was definitely the best part of the beer, it all went downhill from there.

3.85/5  rDev +31%

12oz. bottle poured into pint glass

A-poured a golden orangish color with very little head almost none.

S-pumpkin obviously very present.roasted grain.

T-Again pumpkin very present and other spices.Really spicy grainy taste.

M-Went flat fairly quickly.spicy and kind of dry.

D-Pretty easy to drink.Good beer to drink with baked cakes or pies.

3.63/5  rDev +23.5%

This has always been the traditional pumpkin ale for me - The one friends and I wait all year for. In the last few years, I've picked up a pref for the Dogfish Pumpkin, but was in Atlanta when this came out and was given a couple of bottles to take home and revisit.

Poured a light orangey amber with absolutely no head. Nice pumpkin spice smell. The spice is more subtle in the taste than in the smell. Faint spice after taste that does not linger. Nothing truly remarkable in the taste, but absolutely nothing off-putting either. This beer lends itself to big gulps with a nice level of moderate carbonation. That coupled with the fairly mild / neutral taste, makes this an excellent session brew. In fact, I immediately had another.

Buffalo Bill's Pumpkin Ale from Buffalo Bill's Brewery