Buffalo Bill's Pumpkin Ale - Buffalo Bill's Brewery

Buffalo Bill's Pumpkin AleBuffalo Bill's Pumpkin Ale

poor

Buffalo Bill's Brewery visit their website

Pumpkin Ale |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-01-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Buffalo Bill's Pumpkin Ale Alström Bros
2.83/5  rDev -3.7%

12oz bottle into a mug

Pours a slightly cloudy deep orange. Slight off white head dissapears immediately, no lacing.

Strong spicy notes comprable to allspice. Pumpkin can also be detected throughout.

Starts off with pumpkin like flavors, then quickly becomes stale. Very spicy in the beginning. Finishes with a dry hoppy-ish finish, which tastes slightly metallic.

Watery mouthfeel with high carbonation, almost like a soda. Finishes quickly with light pumpkin flavors lingering.

Decent beer, but somethig seems like it's missing. I'll probably try a different Pumpkin Ale next time.

BeerSox, Sep 17, 2006
3.53/5  rDev +20.1%

12oz. bottle

Pours a clear orange-amber with a small white head that vanishes. No lacing of any kind.

The aroma is quite inviting, mildly sweet with a nice blend of spices. It smells quite natural, very much like a fresh baked pie.

The taste is just a bit sweet upfront leading into a bonanza of spiciness. Very big on the spices, but doesn't cross the line into being obnoxious. Finish is just a touch sweet with a lingering spiciness that is not unpleasant.

Medium-light body, very low carbonation.

Overall, a decent pumpkin ale. The spices are still used in a big way, but I never found it to be cloying or overbearing. Quite drinkable and a bit surprising after my big disappointment with the Orange Cream.

MaltyGoodness, Sep 16, 2006
2.5/5  rDev -15%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

The beers spices of Nutmeg and clove are over very stong, very light body and medium orange color the taste of pumpkin is light I would of hoped for more of a pumpkin flavor. As you open the bottle the spicy aroma hits you hard and fast. I will drink my 6 pack and maybe buy it again next year to see if it changes .

scoot1979, Sep 15, 2006
3.03/5  rDev +3.1%

12 oz bottle, no freshness date, poured into a pint glass

A—pours dark orange, clear, with a fizzy tan head that disappears immediately, spotty lacing is produced

S—smells like Bottle Caps candy, sweet with dominate nutmeg and clove, can’t really smell the pumpkin

T—mild pumpkin and cinnamon, but the nutmeg and clove dominate, has somewhat of a cola taste as well

M—a little thin, light/medium bodied, good carbonation

D—average. Not bad for once a year, but I wouldn’t have more than one in a sitting.

hanco005, Sep 11, 2006
1.85/5  rDev -37.1%

12 oz bottle poured into pint glass.

Appearance: Clear copper color with little to no head formation.

Smell: Very spicy aroma, mostly cinnamon and cloves.

Taste: Wow...this is all cinnamon to me. My first impression was that I popped a piece of cinnamon gum in my mouth. There is a faint taste of pumpkin, but this almost all spice. This beer needs a little bit of everything EXCEPT spice to make it drinkable.

Mouthfeel: Very thin.

Drinkability: Way too much spice.

You know what? I'm going to be doing something that I have almost never done - I am not going to finish this. I realize that this style can be all over the place, but I've tasted much better balanced pumpkin ales that literally taste like pie. This is so far off the mark for me. It's all spice and nothing else. There is not much endearing to me about this beer.

psinderson, Sep 06, 2006

Poured this from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass. I thought the color was perfect for a pumpkin ale and made me think of fall colors. There isn't much of a head at all and with minimal lacing. Very carbonated though almost like a soda in the glass. There is a definate pumpkin pie aroma with alot of spicy undertones. More spice than I've ever had in a pumpkin ale at this point. If you like the spices I think this is a beer you might enjoy.... almost could qualify as a spiced ale!

Tuey13, Aug 26, 2006
3.85/5  rDev +31%

This really isn't bad and I think it is unique. Harpoon's winter warmer has a similar feel to it. Very light bodied and drinkable, many spices. Nutmeg, cinnamin and other Octoberlike spices. Nice taste to it. Soapy head, pours a copper color and many can be consumed at once. Smells really good. I like this one.

bigdeuce, Aug 18, 2006
3.33/5  rDev +13.3%

Pours a medium orange color with a thin white head and spotty lacing in the pint glass. Nose is of pumpkin spices - cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, allspice, etc ... accompanied by a nice malty background. Palate is the same spiciness, but a little subdued. Not a lot of definition here, but strikes me as an okay ale hiding behind the spices. A little bit on the sweet malt side of things. Mouthfeel is unfortunately thin and a little drab. Lightly carbonated and not a lot of vigor in this one. Overall, this beer smells better than it tastes, but is an okay pumpkin ale. I like pumpkin ales and would be willing to give this one another shot ...perhaps another vintage would be better. Mine was a '04 offfering according to my notes. If you like the style, it might be worth your while.

beerphilosopher, Jul 15, 2006
2.6/5  rDev -11.6%

This is a beer way out of season to be trying in June but it was on a discount rack and my cohort Trüb (pronounced tr'oob, rhymes with teets) was eager to try it. I had it last fall and was a little bothered by the spice rack perfume masque nailed to the face of a pale ale, but in general I'd drink it for the occasional episodes of spitting fire or washing down a number four combo at McDonalds. I prefer a darker beer with a hint of pumpkin goodness like Blue Moon's Pumpkin Beer, which is far more wholesome and religious and brings down the moon in the autumn to light the Devil's way home sans all the cackling witchery and hobgoblin potpourri spicing.

thelagerheads, Jun 16, 2006
3.48/5  rDev +18.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from 12 oz. bottle. Pours orange/amber color. Scent upon pour is very srongly of pumpkin pie and holiday scents.

The beer has a slight taste of pumpkin. With the smell of the beer I was expecting a much stonger pumpkin presence in the taste. It's probably good as it doesn't overpower the taste. Pumpkin mostly shows in aftertaste, but also develops later in drink.

Very easy to drink beer. It's the 'treat' I give to Trick or Treating Dad's that take their kids trick or treating.

Dubbercody, Jun 13, 2006
2.63/5  rDev -10.5%

Now, I like Weizens. I'm saying this because I don't want anybody to think that I am hating on cloves.

However, this beer tastes like cloves. My tongue is going numb from the lidocaine. Terrible. Almost no other flavours are present -- a touch of nutmeg, maybe, but precious little else to suggest that this beer involves either pumpkins, or beer.

The head is transient, but the body is a clear orange, rather like a maerzen. Nice looking brew, actually.

That's where the fun stops. The smell is cloves, cloves, cloves. I can't knock it too much, simply because that was clearly the brewer's intent, but why?

The mouthfeel is rather thin. Sort of what I've come to expect from a novelty beer: all setup, no punchline. The subtle details kinda fall to the wayside.

This is a terrible, terrible beer.

So, why do I want another?

shbobdb, Jun 05, 2006
2.2/5  rDev -25.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Poured a cloudy orange color with a fairly large, beige head. Aroma was pretty interesting: plenty of spice mixed with a fair amount of hops (and rather assertive ones at that) and some malt and pumpkin in the background. Light-to-medium body and, um... wow. The term "train wreck" came to mind. This one was all over the place. Plenty of bitterness and spice but little malt to hold it together. Mouthfeel was thin and watery, and the drinkability was poor.

Looks and smells good, but the illusion falls apart when you taste it. Completely out-of-balance, which is sad because I think if you put the unique spice/hop combination from this one into a nice Märzen or even a malty pale ale using a yeast with low attenuation, it could be quite good. On the positive side, I did pay less than $3 for this six-pack.

shererjt, Jun 01, 2006
4.22/5  rDev +43.5%

A: Poured a deep, rich orange from the bottle, fairly bright and clear. Medium head on it.

S: One of the best smelling pumpkin ales I've tried. Strong aroma of pumpkin pie spices, plenty of notes in it. I kept wanting to stick my nose in the pilsner glass.

T: Continued strength of pumpkin pie spices. Light bitter finish.

M: Medium thickness, although still a crisp ale.

D: Light creaminess goes down well. Rich flavors make it great for sipping.

ndekke39, May 18, 2006
3.05/5  rDev +3.7%

This brew pours a clear reddish-orange color. The head is one-finger in height, creamy and white with orange hues. The aroma is of cinnamon and nothing else. The taste is also dominated by cinnamon to a point where no pumpkin is noticable. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with lively carbonation. Overall, this beer is decent but it would be nice if more pumpkin came through.

KarlHungus, Jan 08, 2006
3.93/5  rDev +33.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

I found this one to be very enjoyable. It pours a cloudy orange, with a nice full head. The taste is pleasant - the pumpkin flavor and the spices make it reminiscent of pumpkin pie. The speciality flavors blend well with the beer taste, which puts it one up on many novelty beers. It might benefit from a fuller body, and perhaps from a stronger malt presence.

More generally, this beer illustrates that one's preferences are highly individualistic, and that one shouldn't be deterred from trying a beer simply because others have given it poor reviews. You won't know what you think of it until you try it yourself. Once in a while you'll find one that, for you at least, is a hidden gem.

timbeer, Jan 06, 2006
3.83/5  rDev +30.3%

Overall an excellent beer. It is a typical pumpkin ale, not too rich or tart. Its pumpkin flavor is not overwhelming. It is available at a ton of different stores, including world market and whole foods. it has an amber, orange color (go figure) and a cinnamon flavor to it, but not too spicy. Very drinkable.

willgro, Jan 04, 2006
2.8/5  rDev -4.8%

This is my first pumpkin ale, so not much to compare it with.

The appearance was orangy-amber color with a medium head that dissipated quickly. Medium carbonation. So far, nothing alarming.

Things become "curious" after that, as the aroma is cloves, cinnamon, sweet with some nutmeg. I didn't smell any pumpkin, just the spices.
The taste was like a bad, light pumpkin pie. Cloves and cinnamon are aggressive and some light nutmeg. That's about it. Lacking in depth and substance. The one word that kept creaping in my head as I was drinking this "fake." Just didn't taste like it had real ingredients.
Mouthfeel was watery and light. Overall, this was not good but perhaps there are others in this style that have more character. Perhaps someone might like this at Thanksgiving as a curiosity, but not me.

atigerlife, Jan 01, 2006
1.33/5  rDev -54.8%

I've had pumpkin beer before, and i've had spiced beer before, so when i picked this up i had high hopes. These hopes died when i took my first swig.

First of all, i can't taste the pumpkin at all. Well, maybe a little, but isn't pumpkin the whole point? What i can taste is spice. Spice that overwhelms any other flavor that may dwell beneath. Really not enjoyable to drink, unless you really, really like ginger and cinnamon. I couldn't finish the first bottle and gave the rest of the six pack away to unsuspecting friends.

aforbes10, Dec 16, 2005
2.4/5  rDev -18.4%

Well this beer was DOA. Looked ok with a yellow copper color and a decent if smallish white head. The smell warned me that I was drinking ginger ale, and when I tasted it I knew I wasn't wrong there was a good does of cinnamon in there too and that actually came through first, but no PUMPKIN flavor and the bland beer beneath this is forgetable.

Higravity, Dec 01, 2005
2.58/5  rDev -12.2%

Ginger beer. Ginger ginger ginger. There's some cinnamon underneath the ginger. No pumpkin to be found anywhere, unfortunately.

Much like Shipyard's pumpkin ale is really a cinnamon flavored beer, Buffalo Bill's pumpkin ale is really a ginger flavored beer.

I also get some kind of strange funky aftertaste... kind of smokey.

Um, not good. Not good at all. Better than Shipyard's pumpkin, but that's not saying much.

chOAKbarrell, Dec 01, 2005
1.73/5  rDev -41.2%

I was in a holiday beer mood, so this beer followed a Dogfish Head Punkin' Ale. The contrast was astounding - this is perhaps the most lop-sided spiced beer I've ever run across. Gigantic, overpowering clove. This should be designated "clove beer." Some nutmeg struggled to rise above the din, and no other flavor could make much of a dent in the spice onslaught. I happen to like clove, and that was the only reason I could finish the beer as a curiosity. I understand Portland contract brews this. They should be ashamed.

Brent, Nov 23, 2005
2.3/5  rDev -21.8%

A: Pours an off-white two finger head that in about thirty seconds dissolves into a light perimeter of bubbles around the glass. The ale is a clear amber-orange full of active carbonation.
S: Powerful aromatic qualities to this one, mainly cinnamon and nutmeg with some pumpkin hints in the background. No noticeable malt or hop characteristics here.
T: There's an overpowering cinnamon flavor, almost similar to the red-disk candies, that forces its way onto the taste buds as soon as this beer is sipped. It's more than a bit cloying as it essentially dominates the entire gustatory aspects of this brew. There were moments where I thought I briefly tasted an essence of pumpkin or malt, but it's incredibly difficult to separate any other distinctive traits from this beer other than the cinnamon flavor.
M: Playful carbonation and a light body give this a good mouthfeel; nothing too heavy or overpowering, unlike the taste. Because the presence of hops seems lacking, the semi-dry finish is rather surprising.
D: Though the smell is pleasing and the mouthfeel good, it would be difficult to drink more than one or two of these, for the cinnamon taste is a bit too overpowering, drowning out this beer's other possibilities and generally burning out the taste to experience more in the drinker. One shouldn't underestimate subtlety.

falloutsnow, Nov 21, 2005
1.1/5  rDev -62.6%

12 oz bottle, poured into Samuel Smith pint glass. No freshness date.

A - Nice 2 finger head, a bit bubbly and lasts nicely. Wait a second... is this beer actually orange?! It looks like Kool-Aid with a head on it.

S - Chemically-induced pumpkin and cinnamon and other unmentionable spices. Putrid.

T - Terrible amount of spice that attacks the tongue. I've never had a beer taste so unnatural. Could I even pronounce one of the ingredients of this beer?

M - Hard to tell since my mouth is recoiling in fear and disgust. Nothing notable in this category: light yet biting.

D - About the worst thing I have ever put to my lips. Not tolerable in the least. Down the sink it goes.

gmcfarre, Nov 14, 2005
2.93/5  rDev -0.3%

This was an '04 bottle that's been in my beer fridge for about a year.
Beer poured a slightly murky orangish-amber color. With a rough pour I got a quick 1/2" head, minimal lace left on the beer after the head dissapeared.
Immediate aroma of malty pumpkin pie, nutmeg, cinnamon and allspice. Can't detect any hoppiness through the spices.
A bit sour on the tongue, pumpkin flavor is there prevelant, but not as much as the nose would have you believe. Very slight hoppiness, but is almost non-existant
Light mouthfeel, too crisp. Medium carbonation.
Not the worst pumpkin ale I've had, but nowhere close to the best either.

Brewfan, Nov 09, 2005
3.63/5  rDev +23.5%

Good brown orange colour with a foamy two-finger head. Not much of a smell to this beer. There’s a bit of hop grassiness and some spiciness to it. The taste is much fuller than the scent: malts, hops, nutmeg, cloves and cinnamon with a hint of pumpkin to it. This is savoury with a hint of sweetness to it. Not as sweet or cloying as Steamwork’s Pumpkin Spiced ale, but still enjoyable. Leaves the palate dry, and would serve as a good appetizer. Not quite sweet enough for desert.

BDTyre, Nov 07, 2005