Buffalo Bill's Pumpkin Ale - Buffalo Bill's Brewery

Buffalo Bill's Pumpkin AleBuffalo Bill's Pumpkin Ale

poor

Buffalo Bill's Brewery visit their website

Pumpkin Ale |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-01-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Buffalo Bill's Pumpkin Ale Alström Bros
3.63/5  rDev +23.5%

Buffalo Bill's Pumpkin Ale
12 oz bottle
Recent brewing, carved into 10/06
Medium pour in a tulip glass.

Poured a dark orange with a small fizzy quickly diminishing white head.

Smelt of strong sweet clove candies.

Taste was upfront strong sweet cloves followed by a good although light balance of cloves, nutmeg and cinnamon, with subtle pumpkin hints throughout on a medium length finish. Mouthfeel was light, watery, and fizzy.

Overall, a beer that is tasty and easy to drink, but its mostly a spiced ale with pumpkin than a pumpkin ale.

Pours a bright orange that looks almost artificially colored. Lots of carbonation results in a thick head. Unfortunately this completely fizzles out into nothing: no lace, no light ring of bubbles. Smells really thin and sweet, almost like a spiced cream soda. Really harsh on the spices. Tastes almost like a Pier One or Cost Plus World Market smells. Really strong cinnamon comes out like chewing on a cinnamon stick. Thin and soda-like mouthfeel with a harsh tannin feel almost as if chewing on a cinnamon stick. Even if I believed in pouring beer down the drain, I still wouldn't consider this a drain pour. I plain don't like it.

1.2/5  rDev -59.2%

Buffalo Bills pours much lighter than I anticipated. It looks yellowish orangish as I gaze at it in my glass. The head pours soapy white and disapperas before my very eyes. You know how on T.V. when there are earthquakes in movies and the fault lines just open up, the ground just caves in as the line gets longer and longer, thats the appearance of this head. Absolutely terrible. I mean this is worse than the heads on BMC porducts. Lacing is non existant.

Aroma of this beer is also quite strange. It is definitely spiced. However this beer does not smell like other pumpkin ales. It has a real sweet, cloyingly sweet aroma that just doesn't seem to fit in. Feels real hot, if you know what I mean. The only thing redeeming about the aroma is that it is strong.

Ohh God, I've got a feeling this is going to be bad, judging from the previous two areas. I don't know how they do Pumpkin Pie out in California, but this is not how the Eastern Coast or the Pilgrims, Puritans and our founding ffathers did it. It is not intended to taste like this. This tastes more like a spiced wassail or something than like a beer. The spices overpower every thing in this beer. This one is just way off the mark. Buffalo Bills Brewery....Get on my level!

As can be expected from my previous 10 minutes of experience with this beer I can say that the mouthfeel is infact bad. This beer is thin, and feels flat. How is this beer still on the market? I mean it is aweful! It doesn't even represent the style of pumpkin ale. If I didn't know better in a blind test I don't even know if I'd be able to tell if this is beer. It is that off the mark. I will not be buying this beer ever again in my life time. Do not buy this beer, you will be dissapointed and find that you have wasted your money. Caveat Emptors!

Edit:Now that I think of it the taste and aroma reminded me of Hot Tamales, I mean seriously what the hell were they thinking? Artistic Interpretation is one thing, but this is just blasphemy.

2.13/5  rDev -27.6%

What in the name of the beer gods is this? Ummmm....

Pours a nice copper, burnt orange color, but the thin head disappeared instantly w/ no lacing.

It doesn't smell much at all, with a light pumpkin and nutmeg if I had to say so.

Spice and pumpkin are faint, with slightly bitter hops. It feels okay in the mouth, but there's not much to it.

Aftertaste is short and dismal. I've had much better and this is pretty shameful. Unfortunately a lame pumpkin ale that doesn't have much going for it. Even the foundational ale is uninspiring.

Sheesh.

1.68/5  rDev -42.9%

Bought a six-pack just trying to find a pumpkin ale to use as a tool to make one myself.

Could not finish this one...and I tried...color was very weak, and it was like drinking soda water..too much fizz, absolutely no head, and the taste was not anything like I expected. My brewing companion and I tried as I said to get it down...but niether of us liked it.

Did not get a sense of pumpkin at all. Spice was evident, and the overall beer was not strong enough to carry it.

Not recommended

2.88/5  rDev -2%

Poured a medium copper color. Small head gone in an instant. No lacing anywhere. Slight odor of pumpkin and spice. Strong taste of spice. Not much else going on tastewise. Mouth feel a tad thin and watery with a fair amount of carbonation. Don't think I'd be able to drink more than one or two in a sitting. Looking forward to trying the other pumpkin brews I purchased along with this one.

3.48/5  rDev +18.4%

Poured a brilliant light copper color with soarse, rapidly dissapearing head. No lacing. Smell is mild of pumpkin spice, but very restrained. Taste also revelas pumpkin spice, but ina very understaed manner. Extremely thin mouthfeel, such as to be almost like flat Seven-up. An OK beer, but not one of the better pumpkin ales.

2.38/5  rDev -19%

Pours a slightly hazed golden orange hue. Very thin head fizzles out to nothing almost instantly and shows minimal lacing. Ginger and allspice nose, with some background cinnamon and vanilla, but not much pumpkin or malt aroma. Mild pale malt sweetness and a hint of vegetal (pumpkin?) flavor upfront. The tongue is struck with the autumn spices described in the aroma, the cinnamon becomes more apparent, assertive clove taste, and another faint peppery spice ...cardamon or licorice? Spices dry-out the aftertaste and drown out any possible hop flavor. Very light and airy body with tons of lively carbonation; while this helps lift the heavy spice character, the mouthfeel would be smoother if less carbonated and not as heavy-handed on the spice. Basically a one-dimentional base malt flavor with no hop character that overcompensates with spices that harshen the finish.

3.23/5  rDev +9.9%

Pours out slightly hazy orange hue with a small tan head.

Smell. Sweet and cinnamon. Pumkin is quite present.

Taste. Cinnamon is strongest taste i get, small bit of a tart as well. Pumpkin flavor is sweet like pumkin pie. not too bad.

Mouthfeel. A bit too thin still. nice amount of carbonation.

Overall, i'm guessing either they changed the receipe, or i'm really in the mood for this style, but i am enjoying this beer more than i did the last 2 years.

2.95/5  rDev +0.3%

It pours a crystal clear and carbonated ingot gold. A finger of loose white head drops away to bubblye sprinces. Traces of lacing lay sporadically on the inside of the glass. Or the glass was dirty, one or the other.

In the aroma cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, and clove overlay a contrived vegetal earthiness. There might be taunts of malt...maybe.

Upon tasting, there's a quick push of malt sweetness and creamy pumpkin before they're overwhelmed by some autumnal spices as in the aroma, though this time dominated by clove. A feather of spiced pumpkin tries to redeem the morass before a very vague bitterness lingers briefly in the finish. The flavor could be mistaken for pumpkin pie soda, and that's not an endorsement.

Light bodied, the tingle of the spices can't keep the whole from washing away sheepishly.

Apparently there are folks in my area who crave this stuff. Well, they can have it. Pumpkin ale, I believe, should be eber first. This instead seems a gourdy, pie-spiced soft drink. It might be drinkable in spite of it's mediocre indentity, except on second thought, it really isn't. Those people who want this so badly are welcome to every last bottle of it.

3.08/5  rDev +4.8%

Exits the bottle in a warm orange pour. No head ... no lacing. Nose is nutmeg and cinnamon, suggesting moreso than imparting "pumpkin". One of the fist things I notice is the huge carbonation ... not really digging that aspect of this beer. There's a really great cinnamon taste to this that I like a lot. It has a weird perfumey taste to it ... not entirely unpleasant but not really desired either. Decent overall but not something I want to buy again.

2.83/5  rDev -3.7%

12oz bottle into a mug

Pours a slightly cloudy deep orange. Slight off white head dissapears immediately, no lacing.

Strong spicy notes comprable to allspice. Pumpkin can also be detected throughout.

Starts off with pumpkin like flavors, then quickly becomes stale. Very spicy in the beginning. Finishes with a dry hoppy-ish finish, which tastes slightly metallic.

Watery mouthfeel with high carbonation, almost like a soda. Finishes quickly with light pumpkin flavors lingering.

Decent beer, but somethig seems like it's missing. I'll probably try a different Pumpkin Ale next time.

3.53/5  rDev +20.1%

12oz. bottle

Pours a clear orange-amber with a small white head that vanishes. No lacing of any kind.

The aroma is quite inviting, mildly sweet with a nice blend of spices. It smells quite natural, very much like a fresh baked pie.

The taste is just a bit sweet upfront leading into a bonanza of spiciness. Very big on the spices, but doesn't cross the line into being obnoxious. Finish is just a touch sweet with a lingering spiciness that is not unpleasant.

Medium-light body, very low carbonation.

Overall, a decent pumpkin ale. The spices are still used in a big way, but I never found it to be cloying or overbearing. Quite drinkable and a bit surprising after my big disappointment with the Orange Cream.

2.5/5  rDev -15%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

The beers spices of Nutmeg and clove are over very stong, very light body and medium orange color the taste of pumpkin is light I would of hoped for more of a pumpkin flavor. As you open the bottle the spicy aroma hits you hard and fast. I will drink my 6 pack and maybe buy it again next year to see if it changes .

3.03/5  rDev +3.1%

12 oz bottle, no freshness date, poured into a pint glass

A—pours dark orange, clear, with a fizzy tan head that disappears immediately, spotty lacing is produced

S—smells like Bottle Caps candy, sweet with dominate nutmeg and clove, can’t really smell the pumpkin

T—mild pumpkin and cinnamon, but the nutmeg and clove dominate, has somewhat of a cola taste as well

M—a little thin, light/medium bodied, good carbonation

D—average. Not bad for once a year, but I wouldn’t have more than one in a sitting.

1.85/5  rDev -37.1%

12 oz bottle poured into pint glass.

Appearance: Clear copper color with little to no head formation.

Smell: Very spicy aroma, mostly cinnamon and cloves.

Taste: Wow...this is all cinnamon to me. My first impression was that I popped a piece of cinnamon gum in my mouth. There is a faint taste of pumpkin, but this almost all spice. This beer needs a little bit of everything EXCEPT spice to make it drinkable.

Mouthfeel: Very thin.

Drinkability: Way too much spice.

You know what? I'm going to be doing something that I have almost never done - I am not going to finish this. I realize that this style can be all over the place, but I've tasted much better balanced pumpkin ales that literally taste like pie. This is so far off the mark for me. It's all spice and nothing else. There is not much endearing to me about this beer.

Poured this from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass. I thought the color was perfect for a pumpkin ale and made me think of fall colors. There isn't much of a head at all and with minimal lacing. Very carbonated though almost like a soda in the glass. There is a definate pumpkin pie aroma with alot of spicy undertones. More spice than I've ever had in a pumpkin ale at this point. If you like the spices I think this is a beer you might enjoy.... almost could qualify as a spiced ale!

3.85/5  rDev +31%

This really isn't bad and I think it is unique. Harpoon's winter warmer has a similar feel to it. Very light bodied and drinkable, many spices. Nutmeg, cinnamin and other Octoberlike spices. Nice taste to it. Soapy head, pours a copper color and many can be consumed at once. Smells really good. I like this one.

3.33/5  rDev +13.3%

Pours a medium orange color with a thin white head and spotty lacing in the pint glass. Nose is of pumpkin spices - cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, allspice, etc ... accompanied by a nice malty background. Palate is the same spiciness, but a little subdued. Not a lot of definition here, but strikes me as an okay ale hiding behind the spices. A little bit on the sweet malt side of things. Mouthfeel is unfortunately thin and a little drab. Lightly carbonated and not a lot of vigor in this one. Overall, this beer smells better than it tastes, but is an okay pumpkin ale. I like pumpkin ales and would be willing to give this one another shot ...perhaps another vintage would be better. Mine was a '04 offfering according to my notes. If you like the style, it might be worth your while.

2.6/5  rDev -11.6%

This is a beer way out of season to be trying in June but it was on a discount rack and my cohort Trüb (pronounced tr'oob, rhymes with teets) was eager to try it. I had it last fall and was a little bothered by the spice rack perfume masque nailed to the face of a pale ale, but in general I'd drink it for the occasional episodes of spitting fire or washing down a number four combo at McDonalds. I prefer a darker beer with a hint of pumpkin goodness like Blue Moon's Pumpkin Beer, which is far more wholesome and religious and brings down the moon in the autumn to light the Devil's way home sans all the cackling witchery and hobgoblin potpourri spicing.

3.48/5  rDev +18.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from 12 oz. bottle. Pours orange/amber color. Scent upon pour is very srongly of pumpkin pie and holiday scents.

The beer has a slight taste of pumpkin. With the smell of the beer I was expecting a much stonger pumpkin presence in the taste. It's probably good as it doesn't overpower the taste. Pumpkin mostly shows in aftertaste, but also develops later in drink.

Very easy to drink beer. It's the 'treat' I give to Trick or Treating Dad's that take their kids trick or treating.

2.63/5  rDev -10.5%

Now, I like Weizens. I'm saying this because I don't want anybody to think that I am hating on cloves.

However, this beer tastes like cloves. My tongue is going numb from the lidocaine. Terrible. Almost no other flavours are present -- a touch of nutmeg, maybe, but precious little else to suggest that this beer involves either pumpkins, or beer.

The head is transient, but the body is a clear orange, rather like a maerzen. Nice looking brew, actually.

That's where the fun stops. The smell is cloves, cloves, cloves. I can't knock it too much, simply because that was clearly the brewer's intent, but why?

The mouthfeel is rather thin. Sort of what I've come to expect from a novelty beer: all setup, no punchline. The subtle details kinda fall to the wayside.

This is a terrible, terrible beer.

So, why do I want another?

2.2/5  rDev -25.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Poured a cloudy orange color with a fairly large, beige head. Aroma was pretty interesting: plenty of spice mixed with a fair amount of hops (and rather assertive ones at that) and some malt and pumpkin in the background. Light-to-medium body and, um... wow. The term "train wreck" came to mind. This one was all over the place. Plenty of bitterness and spice but little malt to hold it together. Mouthfeel was thin and watery, and the drinkability was poor.

Looks and smells good, but the illusion falls apart when you taste it. Completely out-of-balance, which is sad because I think if you put the unique spice/hop combination from this one into a nice Märzen or even a malty pale ale using a yeast with low attenuation, it could be quite good. On the positive side, I did pay less than $3 for this six-pack.

4.22/5  rDev +43.5%

A: Poured a deep, rich orange from the bottle, fairly bright and clear. Medium head on it.

S: One of the best smelling pumpkin ales I've tried. Strong aroma of pumpkin pie spices, plenty of notes in it. I kept wanting to stick my nose in the pilsner glass.

T: Continued strength of pumpkin pie spices. Light bitter finish.

M: Medium thickness, although still a crisp ale.

D: Light creaminess goes down well. Rich flavors make it great for sipping.

3.05/5  rDev +3.7%

This brew pours a clear reddish-orange color. The head is one-finger in height, creamy and white with orange hues. The aroma is of cinnamon and nothing else. The taste is also dominated by cinnamon to a point where no pumpkin is noticable. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with lively carbonation. Overall, this beer is decent but it would be nice if more pumpkin came through.

Buffalo Bill's Pumpkin Ale from Buffalo Bill's Brewery