Buffalo Bill's Pumpkin Ale - Buffalo Bill's Brewery

poor

Buffalo Bill's Brewery visit their website

Pumpkin Ale |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-01-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Buffalo Bill's Pumpkin Ale Alström Bros
firstprev| 551-575 | 576-600 | 601-625  | next → last
Reviews: 618 | Hads: 1,125
2.97/5  rDev +2.1%

I bought a 6 pack of this beer and the artwork on the box and bottle is nice. This beer pours an orange/copper color. I have read reviews of this beer stating that it produces very little head so I decided to give it a pretty hard pour to see what would happen. With a hard pour I managed to get a foamy 2 inch head...however, it completely disappeared within 4 minutes.

The smell is ok...a lot of allspice, nutmeg, & cinnamon. I could not detect any pumpkin in the smell though.

The taste is good...again more pumpkin spices rather than pumpkin itself. It is quite enjoyable, however I don't think I could drink more than one of these at a time due to the spices.

Don't get me wrong, this beer is not bad but it could be so much more.

The mouthful is carbonated and some what light in weight.

This beer would be fun to serve to "non-Beer Advocate" people at a Holloween or Thanksgiving party. However, if you are wanting a great pumpkin beer than I would recommend going elsewhere.

Cheers. (1,010 characters)

4.22/5  rDev +45%

this beer is like thanksgiving in your mouth you can taste the pumpin cinnamon and all the other floral smells that thanksgiving has to offer i would definatly have this with turkey it would be freakin perfect dont pass this one up i got it at my grocery store (260 characters)

3.37/5  rDev +15.8%

Appearance: Nice golden-orange hue with an admirable head that recedes to a comfortable film by the glass's end.

Smell: Nutmeg, clove, cinnamon and far off in the distance is the pumpkin.

Taste: Good carbonation, but the flavors (i.e. spices and bit of pumpkin) don't make there present until the finish.

Mouthfeel: Was hoping for a bit more body.

Drinkability: The best part of this beer is that you could definitely sit back and pound a few of these without it getting to you.

Overall: A good brew, but in my opinion it can hold a candle to Post Road Pumpkin Ale. (580 characters)

2.96/5  rDev +1.7%

The beer is an copper orange, with a faint bit of cloudiness. There was a slight head after pouring but it faded quickly away. It appears mostly still, the haziness of the brew makes seeing any carbonation difficult unless under heavy scrutiny.

The smell of this beer is phenomenal. To me it is the epitome of the holidays. Allspice, hints of cinnamon and cloves, it's smells much like a dessert itself.

On the first sip, the multitude of flavors begin to fight with each other. They settled down with what seemed like a malty sweetness on the palatte with cinnamon, and fruity hints of pumpkin.

It's mouth feel isn't wonderful, almost acidic, but the finish is very nice with some lingering fruit notes.

This is definitely not a sit on the porch and drink a few bottles. It is a "must consume with food" beer. It's a great complement with holiday foods, from salty sausage stuffing to pumpkin pie with whip cream. Turkey and gravy, ham with a honey glaze. You get the picture. This is a seasonal beer afterall. If you haven't tried it, or even if you have, try it during the next holiday season with the foods of Thanksgiving or Christmas. It'll be worth the wait. (1,179 characters)

2.5/5  rDev -14.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

The beers spices of Nutmeg and clove are over very stong, very light body and medium orange color the taste of pumpkin is light I would of hoped for more of a pumpkin flavor. As you open the bottle the spicy aroma hits you hard and fast. I will drink my 6 pack and maybe buy it again next year to see if it changes . (316 characters)

3.54/5  rDev +21.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

I liked this Pumpkin Ale version. I like a pumpkin beer to taste of pumpkin and spices and this delivers on both. Perhaps it is personal taste, but my wife and I tried this and another brewer's pumpkin beer at the same time. Without consultation, we both chose this one over the other. (285 characters)

2.74/5  rDev -5.8%

Typical pumpkin beer, not that that is a bad thing. I enjoy my pumpkin beer a few times a year. A full strong pumpkin flavor.

(337 characters)

2.25/5  rDev -22.7%

The label caught my eye so I grabbed it. I was hoping for a nice spiced beer, not that I am a fan of "flavored" beers, but I was in an open mood tonight.

I opened the bottle and the smell of spices was very strong. I became hopeful. Poured it into a Pils glass and got a nice three-fingered head, though it left in about a minute with absolutely no lace, none at all. I really like the color though, it hinted at good things to come. Kind of like a first date, and like most first date's, that was as exciting as it got. The first in-glass smell was pretty pungent, in a bad way. No more spice or pumpkin for that matter. It had no real smell to speak of, though as it warmed in my hand it let out a slight pumpkin spice smell, though faint, very faint.

I took a taste and instantly loathed this beer. No flavor at all, the first thing that came to mind was flat water. No carbonation. Just liquid. I tried to give it a bit of leeway, it is a "pumpkin pie" beer after all. But it was just bad.

I gave the last few drinks to my wife... she loved it, said it had a great pumpkin pie flavor, wants to give it away at Thanksgiving. I can't wait.

Considering how much my wife enjoyed it, I may grudgingly give it another try, probably at Thanksgiving. Like I said, can't wait. (1,285 characters)

3.17/5  rDev +8.9%

Smells, tastes a lot like pumpkin spice, but hardly any pumkin flavor. almost like a light pumpkin pie flavor.

sweet, not much body or mouthfeel in this beer.

good to try in the fall season but i dont think i would buy a sixer of this.

compared to other pumpkin beers ive tried...below average. (303 characters)

2.99/5  rDev +2.7%

This is about what I would expect for a pumpkin beer. It has pumpkin color (no pumpkin head), it has a strong pumpkin pie smell to it, it has pumpkin taste to it. As much as I love pumpkin pie, a hint of pumpkin does not do much to make an average beer better. (260 characters)

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance-Orange to amber color as expected. The cap is thin and disappears quickly.

Smell- Smells sweet, a bit like pumpkin pie.

Taste/feel- A bit too carbonated. Good flavor but not spectacular.

Drinkability- It is very drinkable, but not something I would seek out. (274 characters)

2.59/5  rDev -11%

I've had this beer in past years and to me this year just doesn't measure up to the beer I remember. It still has that great pumpkin pie aroma,but this year the beer tasted much more watery than in years past and definately was not as sweet and pumkin pie-like.
Over all I'd drink it again but it wouldn't be my first choice. (327 characters)

3.92/5  rDev +34.7%

A good idea for a seasonal well executed, the Pumpkin Ale will appeal to those fall lovers who would rather push that second (or first) piece of pumpkin pie aside if they could drink it from a bottle. A whiff of the beer after a pour into a pint glass reveals that the brewers managed to capture a good pumpkin aroma that has hints of nutmeg and other pumpkin-pie spices one would expect. Its oktoberfest-like hue and clarity suggest pumpkin orange. I don't pour for head (seems a waste of glass volume to me), but it does seem that this ale doesn't give you much. But when the beer hits your tongue and taste buds, your hopes that it could serve as a pumpkin pie substitute are fulfilled. The ale's taste has a nice pumpkin ovetone and the right amount of pumpkin-pie spicing.

I recommend this beer to anyone who enjoys giving fun seasonals. I'm seriously considering giving these out to trick-or-treaters (after carding, of course) if my local beer sellers choose to stock this nice little treat. (1,002 characters)

3.63/5  rDev +24.7%

Well, I really didn't know what to expect from this beer. I'll start off by saying that it was a lot better than most of the reviews would lead you to believe. Admittedly, I had it after a busy night in the ER, but still... it scores better than a C just for trying. I wouldn't necessarily want to drink this around the pool in June, but for the month leading up to Halloween (a big deal around here since I have small kids) it isn't half bad.

Serving type: poured from a 12 oz bottle that I got in Savannah at the World Mart into a 14 oz. goblet (my go-to-glass for most beers). 1/4 inch head that lasted a minute or two.

Appearance: Cloudy orange, appropriate to the season

Smell: Hints of clove, coriander, lemon grass and of course pumpkin.

Taste: Full, without being heavy. Not the "pie in a bottle" that some would have you believe.

Mouthfeel: Light, again similar to Paulaner Heffe-Wiezen.

Drinkability: Very good. Wouldn't want to drink a sixer (who does with kids?) but 2/3 sitting around the fire in Fall is good without being too heavy. Not a session beer by any means, but specialty beers rarely are.

Overall: I think this beer was better than the other reviewers would have you believe. I have brewed beers with odd ingredients (what homebrewer hasn't added coffee or some honey to an otherwise boring recipe?) and I know how hard it is to get the formula right--treading the narrow path between what the palate expects and what the mind knows is possible. I think they get it just about right. Not the best beer in the world, but certainly better than some that take the safe path. I'll drink this again waiting for Halloween. Don't be afraid to try it! (1,674 characters)

1.67/5  rDev -42.6%

tastes like a first attempt at home brew, slightly sour yeast flavor, cloudy amber appearance, smells neutral to sour, not a beer I would drink again. even michelobs pumpkin beer is better. do not, do not buy this at any price, just isnt worth the tourble (255 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +58.8%

By far my favorite pumpkin beer. Actually taste like pumpkin pie and not beer with a hint of pumpkin like some other pumpkin beer. O'Fallon's is a distant second. Have tried Southern Tier Pumking, Shipyard's, Lakefront Pumpkin Lager, Post Road, Blue Moon, Jack's Pumpkin Spice and IMO it's the best! (299 characters)

4.06/5  rDev +39.5%

Enjoyed the folksy bottle art, but liked the tasty pumpkin ale even better. One of the best pumpkin ales that I've had all season. Not over spiced so the pumpkin flavor can be enjoyed. I find most pumpkin ales are ruined by well intentioned "spicers" who mask what true pumpkin aficionados are looking for. (306 characters)

2.44/5  rDev -16.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

My first review...so please bear with me!

Appearance - Slightly cloudy, with a dark honey color. Head dissipated quickly. Leave for a minute and it will look like beer was left out overnight.

Smell - Smells is nice, definitely a pumpkin/spice aroma

Taste - You get some spice, but it smells a lot more like pumpkin than it tastes. Gives a watered down feeling.

Mouthfeel - Easy to drink but way over-carbonated imo.

Overall - Nothing about it really stands out. A below average pumpkin beer, but not the worst. Wouldn't buy again. (537 characters)

firstprev| 551-575 | 576-600 | 601-625  | next → last