2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Buffalo Bill's Pumpkin Ale - Buffalo Bill's Brewery

Buffalo Bill's Pumpkin AleBuffalo Bill's Pumpkin Ale

poor

Buffalo Bill's Brewery visit their website

Pumpkin Ale |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-01-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Buffalo Bill's Pumpkin Ale Alström Bros
« first ‹ prev | 551-575 | 576-600 | 601-625  | next › last »
Ratings: 946 | Reviews: 610 | Show All Ratings:
q5hj

2.98/5  rDev +2.4%

This is about what I would expect for a pumpkin beer. It has pumpkin color (no pumpkin head), it has a strong pumpkin pie smell to it, it has pumpkin taste to it. As much as I love pumpkin pie, a hint of pumpkin does not do much to make an average beer better.

09-04-2007 23:12:10 | More by q5hj
gbmoore

Arizona

2.95/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance-Orange to amber color as expected. The cap is thin and disappears quickly.

Smell- Smells sweet, a bit like pumpkin pie.

Taste/feel- A bit too carbonated. Good flavor but not spectacular.

Drinkability- It is very drinkable, but not something I would seek out.

11-07-2009 03:22:53 | More by gbmoore
hatchethead

Missouri

3.9/5  rDev +34%

A good idea for a seasonal well executed, the Pumpkin Ale will appeal to those fall lovers who would rather push that second (or first) piece of pumpkin pie aside if they could drink it from a bottle. A whiff of the beer after a pour into a pint glass reveals that the brewers managed to capture a good pumpkin aroma that has hints of nutmeg and other pumpkin-pie spices one would expect. Its oktoberfest-like hue and clarity suggest pumpkin orange. I don't pour for head (seems a waste of glass volume to me), but it does seem that this ale doesn't give you much. But when the beer hits your tongue and taste buds, your hopes that it could serve as a pumpkin pie substitute are fulfilled. The ale's taste has a nice pumpkin ovetone and the right amount of pumpkin-pie spicing.

I recommend this beer to anyone who enjoys giving fun seasonals. I'm seriously considering giving these out to trick-or-treaters (after carding, of course) if my local beer sellers choose to stock this nice little treat.

09-29-2003 00:38:34 | More by hatchethead
Krist

2.53/5  rDev -13.1%

I've had this beer in past years and to me this year just doesn't measure up to the beer I remember. It still has that great pumpkin pie aroma,but this year the beer tasted much more watery than in years past and definately was not as sweet and pumkin pie-like.
Over all I'd drink it again but it wouldn't be my first choice.

09-29-2005 00:39:32 | More by Krist
megalodon31533

Georgia

3.68/5  rDev +26.5%

Well, I really didn't know what to expect from this beer. I'll start off by saying that it was a lot better than most of the reviews would lead you to believe. Admittedly, I had it after a busy night in the ER, but still... it scores better than a C just for trying. I wouldn't necessarily want to drink this around the pool in June, but for the month leading up to Halloween (a big deal around here since I have small kids) it isn't half bad.

Serving type: poured from a 12 oz bottle that I got in Savannah at the World Mart into a 14 oz. goblet (my go-to-glass for most beers). 1/4 inch head that lasted a minute or two.

Appearance: Cloudy orange, appropriate to the season

Smell: Hints of clove, coriander, lemon grass and of course pumpkin.

Taste: Full, without being heavy. Not the "pie in a bottle" that some would have you believe.

Mouthfeel: Light, again similar to Paulaner Heffe-Wiezen.

Drinkability: Very good. Wouldn't want to drink a sixer (who does with kids?) but 2/3 sitting around the fire in Fall is good without being too heavy. Not a session beer by any means, but specialty beers rarely are.

Overall: I think this beer was better than the other reviewers would have you believe. I have brewed beers with odd ingredients (what homebrewer hasn't added coffee or some honey to an otherwise boring recipe?) and I know how hard it is to get the formula right--treading the narrow path between what the palate expects and what the mind knows is possible. I think they get it just about right. Not the best beer in the world, but certainly better than some that take the safe path. I'll drink this again waiting for Halloween. Don't be afraid to try it!

09-29-2009 07:48:20 | More by megalodon31533
peppersugar

Oregon

1.68/5  rDev -42.3%

tastes like a first attempt at home brew, slightly sour yeast flavor, cloudy amber appearance, smells neutral to sour, not a beer I would drink again. even michelobs pumpkin beer is better. do not, do not buy this at any price, just isnt worth the tourble

01-27-2010 21:28:38 | More by peppersugar
cbusnoles

4.65/5  rDev +59.8%

By far my favorite pumpkin beer. Actually taste like pumpkin pie and not beer with a hint of pumpkin like some other pumpkin beer. O'Fallon's is a distant second. Have tried Southern Tier Pumking, Shipyard's, Lakefront Pumpkin Lager, Post Road, Blue Moon, Jack's Pumpkin Spice and IMO it's the best!

08-21-2010 00:37:15 | More by cbusnoles
YLBDY

Definitely lacking any kick or spiciness usually reserved for pumpkin season. The nose is a bit sour I picked up a six-pack at a North Carolina convenience store and dont think I will ever finish it with all the quality beer in the Asheville area. Seems almost like an Oktoberfest with a sprinkle of pumpkin.

09-25-2012 20:43:59 | More by YLBDY
PumpkinMan

4.05/5  rDev +39.2%

Enjoyed the folksy bottle art, but liked the tasty pumpkin ale even better. One of the best pumpkin ales that I've had all season. Not over spiced so the pumpkin flavor can be enjoyed. I find most pumpkin ales are ruined by well intentioned "spicers" who mask what true pumpkin aficionados are looking for.

11-02-2012 15:30:48 | More by PumpkinMan
Ohhoshow

2.38/5  rDev -18.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

My first review...so please bear with me!

Appearance - Slightly cloudy, with a dark honey color. Head dissipated quickly. Leave for a minute and it will look like beer was left out overnight.

Smell - Smells is nice, definitely a pumpkin/spice aroma

Taste - You get some spice, but it smells a lot more like pumpkin than it tastes. Gives a watered down feeling.

Mouthfeel - Easy to drink but way over-carbonated imo.

Overall - Nothing about it really stands out. A below average pumpkin beer, but not the worst. Wouldn't buy again.

12-01-2012 05:01:54 | More by Ohhoshow