Strawberry Blonde Ale - Buffalo Bill's Brewery

Strawberry Blonde AleStrawberry Blonde Ale

Buffalo Bill's Brewery visit their website

American Blonde Ale |  5.20% ABV

(Beer added by: DrDemento456 on 07-12-2012)

atlbravsrno1, Sep 02, 2014

thufflife, Aug 26, 2014

ST444, Aug 04, 2014
3.4/5  rDev +5.9%

Picked this up a few weeks back at Total Wine in West Orange, having never had this before and not drinking anything from Buffalo Bill's in quite a long time. I wanted something light for the season but not the same as the "lawnmower beers" that are still on the shelf for the time being. In it's own way, this was another example of that aforementioned style but there just a bit of distinction to this to make it stand out, even though there wasn't anything particularly memorable about this beer.

The pour to this was this brew's best aspect, by far. A nice golden waxy hue, frothy head, solid lacing, and sufficient carbonation combined for a pleasing appearance. Then I took a whiff. Syrup. Ginger. A hint of wheat. None of them seemed to really mesh with each other and that was the case when it came to the taste as well. The strawberry felt artificial and the ginger only came through in the aftertaste, once the slickness of this went down my throat. The wheat felt grassy in tone and wasn't strong enough to help the mouthfeel of this beer out. That felt weak and somewhat watered-down, but not as much as would be found in a Macro Lager. Lots of suds here but in this case, they detracted from the taste and lack of flavors to scrub away.

Thankfully, the alcohol was light in this and I couldn't even taste it during my session. I'm not a huge fan of Blonde Ales - especially those that verge on the border of a Fruit of Vegetable beer. This is a change from other summer seasonal beers that are currently still out but only in the sense that none have ginger in them or feel as contrived as this. Worth a go once just for a change but this is one beer that I probably wouldn't get again.

JerzDevl2000, Aug 04, 2014

apurpura214, Jul 30, 2014

antichuckmoore, Jul 21, 2014

f_raud, Jul 20, 2014

Lare453, Jul 19, 2014
1.5/5  rDev -53.3%

2-star, Jul 15, 2014
4.23/5  rDev +31.8%

I had a chance to review their Blueberry Stout the other morning, so now I am (kind of) following it up with this one. It is interesting that it is a "Strawberry Blonde with Ginger" since strawberry blondes are a subset of redheads who are often referred to as "gingers". I am a big fan of redheads, being one myself and I look forward to this beer.

From the bottle: "a Refreshing Summer Brew".

I went with an aggro pour as I like to watch the pseudo-cascade take place, plus I do not mind massive amounts of head or the esters that it releases in its creation. It settled into two fingers of rocky, foaming, off-white head with decent retention. The nose was very sweet, initially, like strawberry candy, but when I leaned in, I got a solid whiff of ginger. Color was a solid golden-yellow (SRM = > 5, < 7) with NE-quality clarity and as my old nemeses, Croesus, Midas and Mammon appeared, I snatched it away to convey that this one was mine, all mine! Great lacing had begun to form as the head fell and I lifted the glass for my first sip. Mouthfeel was thin-to-medium and the taste was extremely pleasant! The strawberry flavor was nowhere near as sweet as I had expected from the nose and the ginger was understated enough that I could taste it, but without overwhelming the strawberry. Finish was semi-sweet and about as perfect a Summer beer as I can imagine.

woodychandler, Jul 08, 2014

closisinthehouse, Nov 17, 2013

jmccullough108, Oct 26, 2013

Zach122, Oct 05, 2013
2.96/5  rDev -7.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

Served in a Lagunitas mason jar.

I'm not sure about this beer, but I tend to like a bit more strawberry than blonde, if you catch my drift... Anyway, this stuff pours a lightly-hazy bronze-brass topped by a finger of lightly off-white foam. The nose comprises strawberry syrup backed by a firm contingent of bland wheat. The taste brings in more of the same, with the wheat taking the lead now, which, in turn, somehow makes the strawberry seem even more artificial than before. I'm not sure I'm getting any of the ginger they tell me is in there... The body is a light medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a fluid feel. Overall, an okay beer at best, one that just seems too artificial and uncooperative for its own good.

TMoney2591, Sep 08, 2013
3.65/5  rDev +13.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

(Previous review, transferred from beer journal)

Buffalo Bill's Strawberry Blonde with Ginger: Smell: light strawberry and wheat; Taste/Mouthfeel: very light strawberry, wheat, crisp ginger "burn", refreshing; good/pretty good

Had at the restaurant, poured into a pilsner glass

TruePerception, Aug 30, 2013