Ballz Deep Double IPA - 7 Seas Brewery and Taproom

to view more.
Ratings: 93 | Reviews: 31
Reviews by youradhere:
3.06/5  rDev -12.1%

Pours bright copper with fluffy off white head, ample carbonation, crystal clear. Smell is subdued, slight pine, malt and a lil bit of fruit on the front. Taste is malt sweetness upfront followed by a smack of bitterness, followed by muted mangoes and citrus, pine on the back. Mouthfeel is full and thick, almost slippery. Not too terribly drinkable, as the bittering lingers in an unpleasant way, and drinking more only exacerbates the problem. Must be an off night for IPAs for me as I usually find this type of characteristic as a quality.

3.21/5  rDev -7.8%

Thanks to americanbrew for sharing this bottle.

The beer pours an orange color with a white head. The aroma is heavy on the biscuit malt, with some papaya and orange citrus notes thrown in. The flavor is more of the same, with a lot of papaya and oranges character and some biscuit malt, which keeps the bitterness fairly low. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

3.71/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Wow, this was so much better in the can than on tap. Was darker, brown edge to it at times. Aroma was british, but strong, like Stone 14th.

Taste, great light feel to it relatively speaking big hop mouthfeels of hop varieties in combinations and amounts that I would venture to guess I have not had too many times. Alcohol hit me afterwards, but was not noticeable at the time. Wish I could get these cans where I am, cool name.

3.61/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

While pouring, this brew is a pale brown color. It settles in the can a sort of very dark orange with a brown hue, thick and murky as well. The head is over one finger tall, tight and pillowy, not to mention rocky. It leaves a creamy, thick ring of lacing right at the top of the glass, then a craggy and equally thick ring beneath that, then some patchy lacing to follow.
The aroma's nice on the pour, pine coming off right away, but it fades off a little. There's good malt backing offering some caramel to an otherwise predominantly hoppy smell. Hops consist of pine and mostly tropical fruits but with a citrus note as well.
The flavor likewise shows off pine and a hint of both citrus and tropical fruits as the pine comes forward. Malts provide good balancing sweetness. There is a metallic note that doesn't go away, though, and it's a touch too pithy in the finish. A ghost of mint lingers as well.
The feel is creamy and smooth but with a crispness that doesn't fall away. The body is about medium with a consistent moderate carbonation. It's semi-dry and into the finish gets almost to being chalky, but it works in this beer.

3.06/5  rDev -12.1%

16oz, 99 bottles

appearance: served in a great dane imperial pint, very dark amber body, thick creamy biege head with strong lacing

smell: rather light on the nose, sweet grapefruity hops, caramel

taste: more of a brittish ipa to me, booze comes in quite hot like a spicy gin in the finish, pretty heavy caramel malt, hops come on slow and die by the time the finish comes. Bleh - the impulse buy strikes again.

mouthfeel: boozy and heavy, while lacking the necessary hop bitterness

overall: not very ok

3.96/5  rDev +13.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Clear bright copper. Big smooth beige-tinted head with great retention. Awesome frosty laces.

Citrus-Lemon, grassy-floral resins. Toasted bread.

Floral, grassy, and some citrus. Toasty bread and a bit of caramel. Nice Floral resinous bitterness.

Med body, dry, sticky, well carbonated.

Good drinkability. Not the best DIPA, but a tasty DIPA from a can.

2.75/5  rDev -21%

Appearance: (3.0)
- Pours a lightly cloudy red-ale look. Not much more than a finger of head quickly settling to an even thin paper layer over the brew with a small ring at the sides. Overall it doesn't really look like an IPA. It's too dark.

Smell: (3.0)
- It's canned, and still doesn't taste like a brisk fresh IPA. Light grassy and earthy hop aromas.. perhaps a touch of floral notes. A masking-like caramel bready heavy grain.. packing everything away. Not really standing out.

Taste: (2.5)
- It's a sweet and malt forward English style for sure which I am not too fond of. There is a nice bitter grassy hop presence, light pine and resinous floral hops.. but the grain is just too thick and caramel-like. Almost like it is masking a buttery diacetyl tinge. It's drinkable, but not really all that good.

Mouth Feel: (3.5)
- It's a creamy and smooth heavy beer. Certainly chewy and sticky.. resinous. Little drying and puckering.. well carbonated. The feel is at least ok..

Overall: (2.5)
- This just shows that a canned beer, with a catchy name and style.. can still be very mediocre. I haven't had much from this brewer.. and after this beer, I almost don't want to try another one. We'll see. I know some kegs turn up here in Vancouver, WA here and there. Maybe I'll ask about it first. Wouldn't recommend this beer.

3.41/5  rDev -2%

A- Pours a deep copper with quite a billowy head around 2 finger or more that eventually dissipates. Not much in the way of bubbles coming up to refuel the beer, but I could care less.

S- Smell isn't quite as pungent in the citric area as other DIPA's but it does have that good fresh smell that you get from most good IPAs.

T/M- Well this one definitely has a strong bitter hop flavor in the front end. Again it is not quite as citric in the flavor as other similar DIPAs which is what I love in DIPA's but it is still good when it comes to pure hops and the bitterness. Astringency of this brew is pretty prevalent. I can taste the malts trying to push through the strong bitterness but in the end the hops prevail. I would say this beer is definitely geared toward people who like their IPA's pretty hot, bitter, and lower on the sweet citric and malt back end.

D- One that I wouldn't want more then one of in a sitting since it is a fairly big beer and it goes down kinda heavy. But great beer none-the-less. By far one of the best (might be the only for all I can remember) DIPA from a can.

4.05/5  rDev +16.4%

Pours a dark, almost ruby colour, with a tan 2 finger of sticky head dissipating to a foamy collar. The aroma was slightly floral, with some pine and resin, caramel maltiness and hints of toffee. The taste was piny, with some sticky resinous notes, some citrus, with a backbone of caramel sweetness. Finished with a pronounce, nicely sharp bitterness. The feel was very nice, creamy, full bodied and right nice for a DIPA. Solid, tasty, nice drinking DIPA.

From reading the reviews, apparently diacetyl is an occurrence. But, if you don't get a can reeking of diacetyl, you'll have a nice DIPA experience in my opinion.

4.12/5  rDev +18.4%

Poured into a Seattle Beer Week pint glass. Pours a cloudy, dark orange amber with a healthy two finger off-white head with good retention and great lacing. Strong aroma immediately on opening the can and pouring. Great aroma of pineapple, citrus, especially orange, sweet malt and a bit of herbal hops. Flavor starts with sweet malt, then tropical fruit, citrus and citrus hops develop, finishing with a long lasting bitter hop aftertaste. Medium bodied with a hint of creaminess. The hops could use a little more intensity and flavor, but the flavor progression is interesting and all the elements of a DIPA are here. A decent craftmanlike DIPA that I wouldn't mind having again. An interesting wide variance in the reviews here, I wonder if this beer has a lot of quality swings. If so, I think I got a good one.

2.23/5  rDev -35.9%
look: 2 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

American double/Imperial IPA
8.4% ABV

APPEARANCE: Poured a nice dark amber color, great thick eggshell colored, dense head. Light lacing.

AROMA: felt the nose on this was a bit muted. Faint pineapple, grapefruit bit of hops. Malty day old bread smell comes through pretty hard.

TASTE: More of an English IPA to me, I believe the can had a British accent when I heard it crack open. Malty, bready some caramel in there. The booziness comes in pretty heavy and hides most of the hop profile.

MOUTHFEEL: Medium body and carbonation. Did get some floating sediments that I wasn't super fond of.

OVERALL: Not my go to style of IPA. I like the fact it was in a can, and the color was really striking. I wouldn't go out of my way to buy again.

RATING: 2.5/5 Zombie Heads!

4.28/5  rDev +23%

Served on tap at Naked City.
I'm a big fan of this beer's name. It makes me laugh every time I read it. And a slighty improper name fits well with the image of this up and coming brewery (I met the owners/brewers at a WABL event last week and they seem the opposite of conservative or uptight).

Appearance - ruby amber, with a billowing, long lasting head and heavy lacing.
Aroma - hop and malt aroma, but not as much hop aroma as I expected considering it says this is double dry hopped.
Mouthfeel - medium in body, avg carb.
Taste - bitterness isn't very high. smooth, well balanced, highly drinkable.

3.85/5  rDev +10.6%

Poured from a can into a glass. Dark gold amber in color with white head. Scents of pine, grapefruits and slight sweetness. Tastes were dry and hoppy with a heavy punch of citrus notes. Finish is on bitter side but not overwhelming. Body is decent enough. Not my favorite of this style but certainly worth a try.

4.12/5  rDev +18.4%

On tap at the brewery taproom.

The beer pours a copper amber color with good head retention and lacing. The nose is pretty spectacular in this beer, as I get orange citrus, light cherry, light pine and considerable earthiness and skunky weed. On the palate, the beer isn't quite as good, though it sure ain't bad. There is some noticeable sweet malt initially, but that's quickly pushed aside by the considerable hoppy bitterness in this beer. Despite a somewhat malty mid palate, the finish is long, dry and bitter in this well crafted DIPA. Mouthfeel is medium bodied, with a long, bitter finish. Alcohol is well integrated into the flavor profile, though you get a sense that it's up there a bit.

After sampling this, the rude parrot and the CDA, it's difficult not to come to the conclusion that the brewer knows a thing or two about hoppy beers. Very nicely done...

4.23/5  rDev +21.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Rarely do I get a chance to drink a brew just blocks from the Micro Brewery. I'm thinking it enhances the taste if your consuming the beer amongst the culture and environment where it is brewed! Rarely drink double IPA's but if you want the full measure of this one drink it at Gig Harbor! Great Beer!

3.67/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Dark orangey amber pour in the Affligem chalice. Quite pleasantly sudsy. Very sharp and tangy mouthfeel. Malty and alcohol tasting.

Rather nice first sip. Big thud of hot, sweet malt. Moderately bitter, though it's clearly a frontal hop assault. Some grapefruit peel with mango and tangerine flavors. Firewater on the lips, somewhat acidic, and aromatic.

I like the can. I like the clean, robust malty taste. It's a slash and burn DIPA. From the 16 oz can purchased at Bottleworks in Seattle.

3.55/5  rDev +2%

Poured from 16oz can into a pint glass.

Appearance: murky amber-brown with a thick finger of pillowy ivory foam. Unfortunately, the body is characterized by many large, unsightly floaties. It actually looks good besides those, but I find them unappealing.

Smell: light malt aroma with a little bit of funky, bright hops. Completely inoffensive but way too timid for a double IPA. Hops are barely present at all.

Taste: much better flavor than aroma. Caramelly, biscuity and somewhat sweet malt back up a highly bitter flavor. Hops are citrusy and funky, but they play more of a bittering role than an aroma role. Better than I thought it would be.

Mouthfeel: medium body with a good carbonation yielding a decent creaminess. Points off, however, for the occasional chunk I can feel -- damn floaties.

Overall: well, certain elements of this beer are off-putting, but the flavor is actually pretty decent. Split the difference.

4.41/5  rDev +26.7%

Poured from a 16 oz can into a snifter glass. Looks great, nice thick head, sweet lookin' dark copper color. Smells right too, floral and pine. Nice.
I seem to rate/review the DIPA, Imperial IPA's a bit high, according to percentages. I guess I'm just a "the glass is half full" kinda guy! (yes, intentional pun).
Now, the name is a bit controversial, you probably would't take a sixer to your sister's wedding reception, but what's in a name? Its the beer that counts!

Bottom line: At about $20 for a six pack of silos, there are other choices for sure. But to stuff one or two into your mix-a-six, I know i'll be getting it again. :)

3.56/5  rDev +2.3%

I've had this before at the WBF and it was ok. But after a day of drinking it is best to try it again.

A- Very dark for a DIPA. Almost amber in color. The head is huge and very active.

S- Not a whole lot extra. There is a good hop smell, but nothing that leaps out at me.

T- Now when I think DIPA I think hop overload. The can states that this beer is supposed to be balanced. It is a hop forward beer, make the hops sing. This beer doesn't do that. The hops are there, but not like they could/should be.

M- Easy mouthfeel, almost creamy like.

D- Easy to drink, and I love the size of the can 16oz.

3.08/5  rDev -11.5%

Draught pint at The Swiss, served in a shaker, Ballz Deep is dull orange with an off-white head leaving decent lace.

Smell is fairly strong citrus hops, the orange notes accentuated by the sweetness. Bit of a fruit cake thing going on, which is nice, but more English pale then the in-your-face DIPA profile I expect locally.

Taste is also not what I expected. My first reaction is whoa - this sucker is hot. I don't mind the ABV, but it's a little dirty and not well hidden behind the hops. As my palate adjusts, I get more of the apricot fruitness (which I attribute to English ale esters), but I never really get much more.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied, a bit on the drier side, but not overly so.

Drinkability is ok, this beer wasn't punishing, but I won't seek it out again, and it certainly didn't live up to my expectation for a NW DIPA.

2.95/5  rDev -15.2%

Another craft can...love it. Can states "the ultimate proper pint" so I figured I might as well pour it into a proper pint glass...

Pours a nice thick caramel color with a ton of thick, pancake batter-like head which lasts for a long time leaving some lacing...a slight haze, just how I like my IPA's/DIPA's

Pretty muted aromas coming from this one. Some weak sweet malt smell mixed with just a touch of piny hop bitterness...disappointing...

Rather thin when it first hits the mouth, some mild piny hop bitterness (a little more apparent than in the nose) melds decently with some sweet caramel malt. More like a slightly hoppy barleywine than a DIPA. Kind of just middle of the road, nothing great but not a pain to drink by any means...

Thinner than expected but still medium bodied. A little sticky with good carbonation...

I like cans, probably got a 5% better score just cause it was in a can, but bottom-line, don't seek this one out, but pick it up if you have limited options...

3.21/5  rDev -7.8%

16oz can purchased at Full Throttle Bottles in Seattle for $3.75. No freshness date. A little disturbed by the name “Ballz Deep,” which conjures up the image of a very particular kind of movie.

Poured a fairly clear, dark amber color with a big, creamy off-white head that hung around for a while and left sheets of lace on the sides of my glass.

Aroma wise, things started off with some grapefruit and pineapple-like hoppy notes, with a fairly strong, bready malt scent.

Hops are present in the flavor, but they are not terribly assertive. The malts are matched closely enough, at least in terms of sheer amplitude, that it almost seems like a pale ale with a relatively high abv percentage.

Medium bodied, with a slightly oily mouthfeel, but not as I’d expect for the style.

Not what I was expecting from a beer sold as a “Double India Pale Ale.” Not bad tasting, but not right for the style, and not what I was in the mood for when I bought this.

3.51/5  rDev +0.9%

Thanks to piclee for sending this heretofore unheard of brewery can to Minnesota. Love the can, nice artwork, & having just returned from my beloved Boundary Waters Canoe Wilderness, I appreciate the "pack it in, pack it out" message on the old tin. Bonus points!

The pour leans hard in the direction of an amber, if there were something ancient trapped inside the liquid, it would be perfect. Aroma is lardy on the malt, light on the hops. Please, not another "balanced" IIPA!

Ballz Deep is a balanced IIPA. Hop bitterness springs to the roof of the mouth, but before any flavor can kick in, the malts swarm over the hops & bludgeon them into the background. The results is a kick, but sweet, IIPA that's shadowed by caramel, what feels like pale malts, & blades of waving grain & dried, grassy residue.

Very nice drinking IIPA except for the lack of aggression in the hops. Good beer, & despite the ABV, one that slides down the coils with ease. Wish it had more hops though!

2.05/5  rDev -41.1%

Recently I've been back on the IPA, IIPA kick and, having just had the Abrasive, a kickass DIPA in a 16oz can, I figured my local beer store owner would love to try it. So she traded me a Ballz Deep 16oz can, a beer they would soon be carrying. New Double IPA from the Pac-NW. Beautiful. I was hoping that perhaps this would be the double that sets a new standard for the Pac-NW. As it is, the elusive Boundary Bay Double is what it is. So I eagerly awaited ripping open the can..

Poured a sexy looking light orange, looked fantastic, but, to my severe disappointment, no hop aroma erupting from my glass. It's there, sure. But you have to seek it out. A little bit of pine, smaller amount of grapefruit and grassiness. Malt notes overrun this beer. A bit dextrinous, caramel, well-balanced, but not a standard bearer. Not what I was looking for with a new NW DIPA. A bit sticky.

Somebody got the better end of that deal..not us.

3.73/5  rDev +7.2%

Poured a muddy orange-amber into a tulip with three fingers of fluffy, off-white head. Mildly hoppy aroma with grapefruit and pine.

Slightly high carbonation balances a full and creamy mouthfeel that might otherwise border on syrupy. On the sweet side with caramel up front followed by more grapefruit. The finish returns to malty sweetness with just a little hoppy twang. Quite tasty (the higher ABV is well-masked), but I wish the balance of flavors was shifted just slightly to the hoppier side, as the sweetness grows to be a bit much.

to view more.