Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Osiris Pale Ale - Sun King Brewing Company

Osiris Pale AleOsiris Pale Ale

Sun King Brewing Company visit their website
Indiana, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.60% ABV

Beer added by: cnally on 08-22-2009

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Osiris Pale Ale Alström Bros

This was a really nice APA. Went down smooth with just the right amount of bitter after taste. Had a nice hoppy and citrus flavor, but not too overpowering where it would kill your taste buds. Had a nice lace pattern to it and a nice golden orange color. The smell was a nice blend of hops and citrus. Overall, just a great beer. (329 characters)

Poured from tall boy pint can into pint glass.

About 1 and 1/4 fingers foam of a slightly off white but mostly pure white color.

Smell is pure citrus, grapefruit, faint orange, delicate pear.

Taste is so smooth. Don't get me wrong the initial taste is bitter and slightly spicy. But for a hophead, it's the most mellow, divine bittering imaginable. Citrus lingers a tad, with slight lemon in the rear.

Once the citrus dissipates, a small malt presence can be found.

Perhaps the best thing about Sun King is their water. Yes, their water. It's nice and somewhat harder, giving their beer that great zip to give the bitterness an extra crisp umph -- sulfate doing the work, I'm assuming. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Anyway, this is easily in my Top 3 Alone on an Island beers. It's hoppy, has a nice body, with some oily citrus dancing about, goes well with a ton of food, readily available in Indianapolis, not too dry, and it's affordable. (952 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +23.3%

Reviewing from a growler pour...had this countless times in can, tap, and growler though.

A - Beer pours a small head that leaves a nice thick white foam. Caramel in color with a hint of red.

S - Nice smell of citrus and hops resembling an IPA.

T - Great taste for an APA, could fool most tasting like an IPA. Citrus and hops up front with a nice bitter finish.

M - Fairly light bodied, light carbonation with a big bite of hops.

O - Whats not to love about this beer? Great flavor, drinkability, and great out of the tallboy 16 oz. cans! IPA lovers should especially enjoy this beer. One of my favorite beers and my favorite house beer at one of my favorite breweries. Keep this beer and Sun King on your short list! (723 characters)

4.9/5  rDev +22.8%

Pours a light amber with a small head in my DFH sniffer. Smell is like a fresh bowl of fruit. Taste is very crisp and light. Somewhat like an orange sherbert ice cream cone dipped in pineapple juice. Lacing is sticky. This is the best, lightest APA I have ever had. I could drink this like it is going out of style. Three Floyds does the best APA's, but this one is better if you are looking for a beer with an easy, light drinkablity, at a lower ABV. (451 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +22.3%

Let me begin by saying that my non-beer drinking wife likes this beer a bunch.
I poured a pint glass full from growler. The beer is a beautiful light amber with a generous head. A delicate lacing developed. The aroma is rich with a light malt and tangy citrus bite.
The flavor is a light bread malt followed by a sweet grapefruit hop flavor. This is one of my favorite beers. It is local and widely distributed in central Indiana. (430 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +21.6%

This stuff has been flying off the shelves in my neighborhood! It was actually fairly difficult to get my hands on a 4-pack of cans.
I really admire Sun King for taking the 16oz can route for their flagship brews. It seems to be working out... but for such a relative newbie to the scene, I wonder how cost effective it is? The can art and hightech plastic bracket can't come cheap... Oh well! On to the beer!

First impression upon cracking open the can:
Whoa!! Never in my life have I been smacked in the face by pineapple scented hops when opening a can... Normally I would expect faint wafts of corn and aluminum! But no... The smell screams fresh hops. I took a sip out of the can just to see if this would be a suitable method of consumption... It works for miller lite, right? It does NOT work for Osiris Pale Ale. The can makes for a very fresh beer, but that does not mean it shouldn't be decanted just like any other high quality microbrew...

Appearance:
The color of a brand new, shiny penny. Golden copper with 1-finger's worth of slightly off-white head. The resulting lacing was moderate at best...

Taste:
Acerbic pineapple tang right off the bat. I was eating a dish containing pineapple prior to reviewing this beer so maybe i need to cleanse my palate... But I found this American Pale to be closer to an IPA, which I guess is the trend in Midwestern Pale Ales (think Two Hearted and Alpha King). While the smack of hops might lead one to believe that this beer would be out of balance, I assure you that it had plenty of malty backbone to support the flavor. This is, in my eyes, the perfect beer. The hops are present in all their glory, exuding flavor, bitterness, and wild fruit notes... The malt is there, in a supportive role mind you, but in perfect balance.

This beer makes me so excited for the state of American microbrews. Every sip demands another... And another... And another! (1,912 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +19%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Fresh off the tap. This Pale Ale is right up my alley. At times I really enjoy a over the top like Zombie Dust ( love Zombie!), but Sun King hit it on the head with this one.

Smells very fresh and citrus is there in force. Taste is smooth from the start, crisp with a "I want more" finish!
It's light but doesn't miss the flavor and Pale Ale attributes.

This Pale Ale will stay on my tap! Matter of fact, I'm going to grab a glass!

Gotta love Indiana and APA's!
Well done Sun King! (484 characters)

4.68/5  rDev +17.3%

A
Looks great! Kind of a dark blonde with a touch of orange. Nice white head on top that sticks around for a few minutes.

S
Smells of citrus with a underlying malty sweetness.

T
Well balanced APA with a nice punch of citrus-y hops and a malt backbone that keeps up with the bitterness. Very drinkable.

M
Medium bodied with a slight carbonic bite.

O
A really good, drinkable APA. Could definitely see myself drinking a lot of this over the next few months. (461 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +17%

For starters let me say I can't begin to explain how excited I was to finally see some Sun King and my local store. Since I have moved to Indianapolis I have wanted to get down to get a growler filled, but something always comes up as im heading out that door from work and its just too easy to hit up a store instead. Props to Sun King for the great package design and being able to supply everyone in time for the 500. I really hope this kicks it off marketing-wise for the brewery. They are an excellent company and a force to be recogned with in the near future! (Sorry Upland) ;)

(a)- Poured from can to pint with a great amount of head, good amount of carbonation. If only everything looked this good coming from a can. (ditch the b-light race fans and yours can too) (4/5)

(s)- Perfect aroma for any hop-head. For a pale ale this is as about perfect balance between the citrus notes and hops you can get. Seems like everyone else is either too heavy either way, great balance. (4.5/5)

(t)- Taste delivers what the smell promises. Citrus, spice and everything nice. This is dry-hopped perfectly, other pales need to take notice on the timing. (5/5)

(m)- Some pales just die in the mouth and you have to wait for the engine rev when it's halfway down your gullet...this one on the other hand give me something to lean on the whole time. (4.5/5)

(d)- For a pale ale, I could easily drink this with my favorite foods. (which is a stretch for all the others I've come to appreciate). It's not for everyone, but then again if everyone was as smart as we then there would be less in stock and I'd be drinking coors. Great balance, great brew.

+2 brownie points for the kicka@@ can designs. (1,695 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +16.5%

Oh yeah! Indianapolis beer culture is maturing, growing, metastasizing. Osiris is only possible among adventurous and curious palates, accomplished brewers, and wild willingness to experiment. Fabulous! I am so happy to be a Hoosier!

Pours straw with a tinge of orange-red. Fluffy head subsides to significant lacing that adheres to the glass. Big hop aroma; this stuff smells seriously astringent.

When it hits the tongue the taste is overwhelmingly bitter, astringent, and biting. In a good APA way. It gives way to sweetness, a hint of malt, and buttery mouth feel. It is chewy; a rarity for something so hop-forward and strong. There's an herb-y spice-y something at the end: the taste just goes on and on, unfolding and weaving itself into the tastebuds. Most excellent; complex, lingering, rewarding. Thanks to my good beer buddy T who also gave me my first Alpha King. Yes, I think Osiris plays with the big boys. (922 characters)

4.64/5  rDev +16.3%

I've had this beer on tap, can and growler, this review from a growler. I can't believe I haven't reviewed it yet.

Pours a medium gold/amber with quite a bit of head that sticks around and leaves good lacing. Smells hoppy, some citrus and slight piney. Tastes hoppy a the front followed by malt and a nice hop, bitter finish. Really good and refreshing. Mouthfeel is awesome and drinkability is incredible. I've been drinking Osiris since Sun King started brewing it, so I am biased. BUT, this is a great "pale ale" along the lines of Alpha King, but not quite as goodas Alpha King. Great beer though, highly recommended. (623 characters)

4.61/5  rDev +15.5%

Poured from growler into nonic glass.

A - Translucent yellow gold with thick white head and lacing that clung throughout the time to finish the brew and then some.

S - Oddly enough, pours from two consecutive days had different aromas. Day one's hop aroma had a pine resin presence, while day two's pour had hints of citrus. Both were good, but neither was especially strong.

T - Much like smell, but to a lesser extent, the brews had slightly different tastes on different days. Both days had a stronger piney flavor, but on the second I could detect the citrus. Both were very impressive for an APA.

M - Nearly perfect texture and carbonation

D - Osiris does a great job of balancing syrupy pine texture without being too sticky (737 characters)

4.58/5  rDev +14.8%

First review: gotta start somewhere. Thanks to pittsburgkid66 for the extra.

A- Great pale golden color with nice fine lacing. Can't do much better in this category.

S-Wow! A great citrus/pine aroma, not quite hoppy birthday, but a much nicer smell than most pale ales, better than many IPAs. If I were to guess what style this was without tasting, I would say IPA.

T-The hop smell is replicated in the taste, but not as intense as expected from the smell. A nice amount of Carmel comes through right where I want it in a APA.

M-crisp and refreshing. This would be great on a warmer day.

O - A really well balanced beer. Sweetness/bitterness is ideal. Hops work really well with the Carmel malt. I would really drink this more often if I could get it here. This beer in 16 oz cans would be fantastic. Please bring to CA (824 characters)

4.58/5  rDev +14.8%

Pouring it into a standard tumbler, it radiates a bright golden amber with glimmers of straw yellow highlights. It appears crystal clear with constant trails of carbonation that calmly float from the bottom of the glass, building a fluffy white 3-finger head of large bubbles that melt into a creamy froth, leaving minimal fragile lacing along the sides of the glass.

The aroma holds quite a bit of grainy honey wheat bread and soft caramel in the backbone. Elsewhere, there are plenty of fresh floral hops and tropical citrus hops, including grapefruit pith and lemon peel, with a small possibility of some papaya, that overwhelms my nose initially. Faint piney hops hide in the background, while something spicy and resembling graham cracker brings up the rear. Overall, it is very reminiscent of an IPA.

Starting off with a slow sip, I’m met with caramel, wheat bread drizzled with honey and sprinkled with brown sugar, and grainy, toasted malts. All of the early flavors prepared my tongue for the dry, lightly spicy hops, comprised of zesty grapefruit and lemon pulp as well as some pine notes. The generous amount of hops in this American Pale Ale awakened my tastebuds before smoothing it all out with a final blanket of sweet pale malts.

The Osiris Pale Ale falls into the medium-bodied range once it warms up a bit, though fresh from the refrigerator, it starts more with a lighter mouthfeel. Regardless of body, though, it remained crisp and smooth the whole way through, especially with the lively carbonation, and finished dry and slightly bitter – which is the least I would expect coming from such an aggressively hopped beer. (1,647 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +14%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

World-class pale ale. On par with FFF Alpha King. Here goes:

A: Beautiful clear orange with a one-inch head and lacing. Very well-carbonated, too.

S: Really kick you - quite powerful for a pale ale. Lots of fruit - lemon, orange peel, flowers, and herbs. However, there's also a fair amount of pine. Very interesting mix of floral and piney flavors.

T: Follows the nose, which is great. Lots of floral flavors. Some malt in the background, but let's face it: This is a hopfest.

F: Superbly crisp.

O: Exquisite beer. (534 characters)

4.54/5  rDev +13.8%

Poured from their standard 16 oz. can into a tulip glass.

Nice light orange color, almost amber (you know the fossilized sap with bugs in them). Strong thick head.

Aroma is wonderful - very citrusy. Lots of orange, actually orange juice. A little grapefruit and perhaps a touch of lemon. Wonderful hop smells.

This beer tastes fantastic. Again, more of that orange juice, with nice bitterness on the back and a touch of booze at the end too. The hops and bitterness linger nicely.

This beer is very sessionable. I could drink it all night, and probably would regularly if I lived in Indy. Will definitely make it a point to pick it up when in town, or when friends visit. Heck, they're new. Maybe they'll be to Chicago soon enough. (735 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +13.3%

Review from July 2010

Big thanks to the girl behind the bar at Broad Ripple Brew Pub for hooking me up with this brew; some server accidentally opened it, and this shrewd young lady knew it shan't go to waste....

A - It has a bright golden-copper hue, and is capped with a big white foamy head. Retention is lesser and lace is soapy-looking.

S - Big Amarillo hops come out immediately. Some nice malt behind it, very pale and slightly sugar-cookie-ish. The orange, peach and tangerine notes are pronounced, much like Daisy Cutter.

T - Amarillo is apparently the favorite hop of the midwest, as the driving force behind hop-bomb beers such as Gumballhead, Daisy Cutter and, apparently, Sun King Osiris. And this is a hop-bomb. Tangerine-orange, peach and perhaps nectarine fruitiness are expressed over a very pale and cracker-y malt, the beer is quite bitter, and has a long finish.

M - IPA. Oops, APA. Nice, anyhow.

D - I would definitely dig more of this (fresh). It is not quite on the level of Daisy Cutter, but it is still one of the better APAs out. (1,062 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +12.8%

First experience with SunKing, and I will be trying more of their variety's. This reminded me a lot of Alpha King. Awesome amber color with a nice head that stays around awhile. Powerful smells of citrus. Great flavor. Citrusy with nice hops. Very well balanced beer. I think I might actually prefer this to Alpha King, but I'd have to try them side by side to be sure. (369 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +12.8%

Picked up a four pack of these 16 ounce gems at Bourbon & Canal, a beer and wine store in Terre Haute, IN, and so glad I did.

Love the whole craft beer thing in a can and at 16 ounces, sometimes that's more than enough beer to enjoy with a meal.

Appearance -- Poured aggressively into a Duvel Tulip and wow, what an impressive frothy white head. Minutes later, that frothy goodness dissipates to islands of foam with considerable lacing.

Smell -- Never enjoyed such aroma from a beer in a can before. On par with Three Floyd's Alpha King.

Taste -- This is an APA that tastes like an IPA.

Mouthfeel -- Yum. If you've never had this Sun King beer, then you should either search it out or trade for it. You'll be equally impressed.

Drinkability -- I could easily add this to my beer lineup, which includes Bell's Two Hearted and Three Floyd's Gumballhead -- two of my mainstays.

Great job, Sun King. Thanks again for canning this brew. (939 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +12.8%

I really like this brew. It is better than many of the beers the "bros" score higher and I am feeling that Sun King may be one of the better producers out there. I had one of their special hop beers last summer, and honestly, may be one of the best beers I have ever had. This one is good, very good, and is among the best IPA's in the country. It is in my top 10.

It pours a straw, light copper color, almost orange, good head, and great citrusy nose. Great mouthfeel. Far more citrus than pine, with a florally background. This beer has a complex hop profile, but does stay in the front of the mouth. I love this beer. This is not Zombie Dust, is not Flower Power, but outdoes Dogfish 60, Stone, Victory Hop Devil. If I had a criticism it would be that it doesn't have a great finish like the very best in the category do. After having so many of the American IPA's I have concluded that is what separates the best....the finish. This is top 10...which is a huge accolade. These guys will get nation wide notoriety but they are not yet at the top of the class. This beer can hang with Sculpin! Yes...I said it, this can hang with Sculpin. It does not have the depth and class to match wits with the likes of some others, but they outdo many that have more pub. (1,291 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +12%

pours bright clear copper gold with a 2 finger head that faded to a film and left some spotted lacing

smell is nice and hoppy - citrus and a little grapefruit and pine

taste starts right where the nose left off - fruity hops balanced with the bready semi sweet caramel malt

mouthfeel is light with good carbonation that gives it the smooth crisp and creamy feel i want in a pale

drinkability is great - it comes in cans and it packs all the hops i would want in a pale with out destroying my taste buds (506 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +11.5%

Looks fantastic; two fingers of bubbles that make me anticipate its taste.

Smells like hops, malt, and beautiful yeast. Like it should, yet unique.

Tastes like it smells; superb!

Mouthfeel? Feels just fine.

Drinks like - how about nectar of the gods. No need for your fancy beer jargon. This is one of the best pale ales in the USA.

Womencansailjustfine. (359 characters)

4.43/5  rDev +11%

Growler fresh from indie

It's been a year, exactly, since this place opened. So bully hooray. Time to move past my stage of purblind, joyous support for the local guys and give this here flagship a real firm-like review.

But, fuck, this is really good. These guys know how manage a yeast profile like no one else in this state (and yes, I am aware of the gravity of what I just said). Yeastmanship is undeappreciated. Or, it's appreciated, but not often recognized. The reason people like Rogue as much as they do is mostly the marketing, but also the yeast.

This here is a yeasty pale. The brewers will never admit to that. They might not have even intended that. And by that I don't mean that the yeast is the most salient thing going on in here--it's just the best, the most distinctive, the Sun Kingiest. These people are very good at making medium-strength ales. (872 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +10.8%

a - 14 k golden liquid with a clean, 1 finger thick fluffy head

s - fresh, wet, sticky, citrus hops... Only a APA - wow!

t - said i only have one. A very nice citrus - well hopped brew. Grapefruit-lemon blend, somewhat sweet with a quick bite at the end.

m - somewhat cream, crisp Pale that is extremely drinkable...

o - Maybe one of my favorite Pale Ales... Quite tasty! (376 characters)

4.41/5  rDev +10.5%

16oz can, courtesy of AleWatcher, poured into a pint glass.

A- Nearly perfect, as far as I am concerned. It is a translucent, light topaz color. The carbonation is incredibly active throughout and produces a 1/4 white foamy head that is there from start to finish. A sticky lacing leaves layers of rings around the glass.

S-black pepper, citrus peel, pine-like hops

T- bitter grapefruit (like eating a wedge with the skin on it, but a little more subtle), lemon and orange, a dry peppery finish.

M- light, frothy body with a favorably high carbonation level that leaves a tingling sensation at the finish.

O- very good. Not so much a run-of-the-mill APA. I had a Zombie Dust before dinner and this (much to my surprise and delight) compares to it, IMO. I will definitely be seeking more of this out in the future; hopefully this summer, as I could drink plenty ofthese on a hot summer day. Thanks again, Jeff! (914 characters)

Osiris Pale Ale from Sun King Brewing Company