Osiris Pale Ale - Sun King Brewing Company

Sun King Brewing Company visit their website
Indiana, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.60% ABV

Beer added by: cnally on 08-22-2009

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Osiris Pale Ale Alström Bros
2.7/5  rDev -32.2%

so, decided to open this one with a friend. it's been in my fridge for a month, I don't know if this negatively affects the beer or to what degree, but here's my review anyways.

It has no hop character (or its very muted).. I think it might be my california palette, but I expect my pale ales to have some degree of hoppiness (re: alpine hoppy birthday or even stone pale ale).

This did not deliver.

It's not an utter failure though, so I will still finish this can, but definitely color me "not impressed".

2.8/5  rDev -29.6%

Pour is clear darker amber with a tight light tan head. Nose has a bit of stale grain, toasted malt, dry caramel, and some herbal hops. Taste is strong caramel and some stale grain. Grassy hops, herbal tea like, a touch of metallic twang with assertive carbonation and a medium body.

2.86/5  rDev -28.1%

I never even heard of this beer before so I was pretty excited to get it as an extra, Thanks Rob!I cracked open the can and heard a beautiful hiss. Pours a hazy amber copper color like a duracell battery with a very thin bone white head. As I hold my glass up to the light there is absolutely no yeast chunks or major haze. Viscosity appears to be pretty low.

Sweet caramel, bright citrus and pineapples with some pine needles thrown in. Bread, biscuits and some toffee round out all of the maltyness. In the finish I'm noticing something that reminds me of a hair salon.

Eesh, this could be a bad or really old can because I am not getting anything good here. Pretty bland and uninteresting, paper thin and the hops seem pretty muted. I am going to bet that this was a little old, slight astringent bitter finish.

I think I need another shot at this, anyone want to hook me up ?

2.93/5  rDev -26.4%

16 oz can. Pours clear golden orange with a creamy white head that retains well and leaves some lacing.

The aroma is sweet biscuity malts with some earthy, fruity hops.

The flavor is biscuity malts with some spicy grassy hops and a little fruit. The mouthfeel is medium to full bodied with smooth carbonation.

Overall, OK biscuity pale ale with decent hops.

I’ve had a few different Sun Kings and this one is probably the best. Has a decent balance and is some what refreshing. Decent balance between malt and hop profile. Seems to clearly be trying to steal the idea of another Indiana beer. Its drinkable but for your money there's better choices.

3.03/5  rDev -23.9%

Straight out the can at Canfest. Light orange/auburn color, nice color. Pretty mild hop aroma coming out of it. Some sweet lightly buttered malt aroma.

Taste, pretty ho hum. Hopping not anything to write home about. Malt sweetness is fairly middle of the road. A little metallic with its bitterness. Some caramel and toffee, makes me think of that caramel corn stuff you get in cracker jacks. Still underwhelmed by the hops, whether it be the aroma, taste or mouthfeel, they just come off as a Midwestern Germanic stab at a pale ale instead of it being an American or West Coast hoppy pale, which the latter is generally preferred these days and with this taster.

It did not go easy on the bitterness, but it just obscured a lot I'm guessing. I think they sent some old cans to Canfest, like many of the breweries did.

3.04/5  rDev -23.6%

Thanks to Dan for sharing this one.

A: The pour is a standard amber-ish color with a big white head on it.

S: This beer smells almost like hot garbage. Not much in the way of hops, somewhat of a malty aroma.

T: The flavor offers up some good bitterness, but that's about it. A bit of malt flavor but not really any citrus or anything like that.

M: The mouthfeel is typical for a pale ale. Medium in body with a lively carbonation.

D: The flavor was alright, but not really anything special. Unfortunately, the aroma is just flat off-putting.

3.05/5  rDev -23.4%

Great packaging on all of the Sun King beers. Have had this beer several times and decided to finally review it. Pour is a copper golden color with a thin head that disapates rather quickly. Aromas are more earthy than expected. Some small hints of citrusy aromas as well. Flavor is a tad better than the aroma. The palate just falls short on this. The beer is balanced for a pale ale but the beer just seems asleep. Don't believe this beer is old or anything. The finish is dry with a mild hop finish. Biggest plus about this beer is that it comes in a can!

3.15/5  rDev -20.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Poured into a SK can glass. Clear amber color, topped with an inch or so of frothy white head that soon sank to a wispy layer of bubbles; minor lacing. Bland aroma, malts and dried citrus pith, toasted grains. Taste was light, mildly bitter, floral and earthy notes, with a little citrus pith, off-balanced by toasty grains and sweet malts. Light-medium body, moderate carbonation. Decent, but really no hero among the multitude of pale ales out there. I'm not really interested in trying it again.

3.16/5  rDev -20.6%

16oz can $2.99. Bright orange color, fizzy, ok head. Smell is malt, honey, very little hops. Flavor has some hops that show up with bitterness and a touch of citrus but nothing too crazy. Not a bad pale ale and kind of reminds me of Dale's but I really wish brewers would stop calling their pales and IPA's west coast. They are almost never comparable to what comes out of California. Just stop, its false advertising.

3.2/5  rDev -19.6%

Pours a light yellow from a tallboy into a pin glass. light grass smell.
Little or no cloudiness.

The head is actually better tasting than the beer.

This is a good light beer.

I could drink this all day on a hot summer day, or until I ran out of of money.

At $12-14 per 4pak, I would not recommend drinking more than 1 can. They taste like they should $8 for a 4pak.

3.23/5  rDev -18.8%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to my buddy Matt for bringing this beer back from Indy for me to try!

Bottle poured into my Penn State pint glass, to be consumed during the Iowa game. I've never had anything from this brewery before, so I'm excited to give it a try.

A: Pours with a remarkable level of carbonation, but not a real big head, probably because I'm still not used to pouring from a 16 ounce can.

Pours a very clear translucent, almost "fizzy yellow" beer, so clear that the LARGE carbonation bubbles are very visible. I've never seen carbonation like this before...

Poured a snow-white head that dissipated quickly.

S: I've got my nose right down into this beer, and I'm not picking up a whole lot, to be honest. Muted notes of pine and just that classic American "beer" smell, good descriptors for which escape me.

T: This tastes like... "beer". Certainly not a hefty beer, and at 5.6% ABV, that should be expected. A moderate level of bitterness with notes of pine are probably the most ominant flavors. And there certainly is a touch of barley sweetness to help balance this out.

M: This beer doesn't "feel" as carbonated as it looks. I think it's in part because of just how clear the beer poured. Leaves a nice flavor profile on the tongue at the finish line.

D: Rather drinkable. A classic, simple, "American Beer", and I genuinely enjoyed it.

3.24/5  rDev -18.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3

16 oz. can served in a Kuhnhenn snifter. Big thanks to my mom for picking me up a 4-pack on her recent trip through Indy.

A: Pours a clear orange color with a thin, wispy white head forming on the pour. it recedes to a thin ring that leaves some minor splotches of lace down the glass.

S: Light grass on the nose with some mild citrus. Some fruity berry, akin to strawberries as you pass by them in the grocery store. Very faint, but you can pick them out. Light cracker malts with a touch of stale bread.

T: Lots of bready malts with the same light strawberry note coming through. A little sweet, but slightly watered down with a touch of grassy.

M: Light bodied with a medium carbonation level. A little bland on the finish.

O: This was alright. Decent enough to drink and it'd make a fine camping beer, but it's pretty bland and forgettable overall.

3.25/5  rDev -18.3%

A: Golden honey hue with a big steady head and nice lacing

S: In the nose I picked up really faint scents of grapefruit, lemon,and maybe a little bit of pine.

T: Taste was rated a little higher because the scents from the nose came out a little more but still pretty weak IMO you mainly get a little bite of grapefruit, with some lemon and a little bit of a earthy feel to it.

F: Good Carbonation, medium bodied.

O: Overall, I'm glad I finally got to try some Sun King it's been hard for me to find. I thought it was a little overpriced it was like $10 for a 4pk. I thought the three beers I sampled from them where pretty basic. I would however pick up a 4pk or some singles when I'm Indy.

3.29/5  rDev -17.3%

16 oz. can purchased in the greater Washington D.C. area, unknown birth date (there's some scribble on the bottom that I cannot decipher) poured into a DFH modified chalice, drank 4/3/13 over one hour.

A: 4.5 - nice golden coloration, good clarity with no hop haze (can mentions that it's dry hopped), white two finger head lingers into a half finger for the remainder of the session, small bubbles pouring off the bottom of the glass throughout, mild alcohol legs

S: 3 - after reading the can and appreciating that they are from IN (home of the 3Fs Hop Lorts), I was expecting a hop forward offering...I picked up little hop aroma at all; if anything, the aroma is biscuity/bready; I waited and waited...let it warm...there's nothing hoptacular happening in the aroma to these nostrils

T: 3.25 - overall meh; little bitterness and flavor overall...bready backbone predominates, definitely sessionable but is this what they were going for

M: 3 - again, an average pale ale mouthfeel; the good carbonation salvages it

O: 3.5 - why 90+ ratings? I was expecting it's cross-state cousin Zombie Dust and got slapped by bland...here's to hopping that I just got an old can (doubtful though...)

3.31/5  rDev -16.8%

From 64oz growler to Hess imperial pint glass on 1/25/12
*From notes

-- Thanks for the fill, John --

A: Clean 24k gold. A standard pour yields a huge three finger white and fluffy head. Really nice retention and lacing.

S: Grains from top to bottom. Not a real big hop presence. Disspointing to say the least.

T: Quite similar: malt everywhere. Granted this is an APA, but I really feel the lack of balance here makes the beer...dare I say boring? There is a small amount of hops, which arrive with a metallic quality on the mid. The finish is biscuity and dry.

M: Pretty nice texture. We're not setting the world on fire with this one, but it's decent none the less.

O: I had high hops for Sun King's Osiris, but in the end it let me down. It's just not the APA it'd been built up to be, and drank a bit like a stale lager. Not a bad beer, just a bit forgettable and blasé.

3.4/5  rDev -14.6%

Osiris pours as a golden copper color beer. Mine had little head, not that I care that much. The smell is boring, but not bad. Smells a little different in the can than in the glass. Tastes pretty hoppy, but as another reviewer mentioned, not a citrusy hops flavor. The can mentions that it is brewed in the West Coast pale ale style, but it doesn't remind me of any of the west coast pales. Not that that matters since it's a good taste. It's hopiness blends well with the grain/malt flavor. I like this beer, and would probably buy it again. It is a bit pricey though.

3.4/5  rDev -14.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Large tight white foamy head is slow to develop, but rises fast once legs are gathered. Decent head retention. Brew is orange with nice clarity. Not much lacing.

Grainy, earthy, dirty, orange, moderately floral, kinda lackluster.

Crisp, clean, short flavors, thin, wet, earthy, not much bitterness, carbonation is low and on point. Flavors all kinda blend together, nice, I guess. Not much resin or pine. Reminds me of a British Pale Ale, not an American.

Osiris is a good brew, but by no means should be sought after. It's very down the middle and kinda disappointing. I expected Sunking to rock this brew and take a stance with hops. Hard for me to give this one a high(er) rating. It's good, but if I don't have it again, oh well.

3.45/5  rDev -13.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

A: Appearance is light amber color with light, quickly dissipating head.

S: Aroma is most citrus with notes of lemon and grapefruit.

T: Taste is dominated by the hops with citrus being the main notes. Malt sweetness is light which doesn’t provide much balance to the hop character.

M: Palate is medium-bodied, good carbonation, and bitter finish.

O: An okay Pale Ale.

3.48/5  rDev -12.6%

(16oz can courtesy of iii9ix3). Pours clear copper with giant 2 finger of-white head and lots of carbonation. Aroma of cardboard, citrus, and pine/wood. Taste is malt sweetness with hop bitterness. Its a bit thin, but it makes for a sessionable beer that has some nice flavors. A pretty solid beer.

3.48/5  rDev -12.6%

Filled a growler in Indy. Extremely light looking beer. Clear, yellow, and filtered. Great smell, one that lets you down when you drink it. A regular amount of piney/earthy hops in the taste. No head sticks around whatsoever. Just a bottom shelf APA.

3.53/5  rDev -11.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

My first trip to Indy was a few years ago during the Big 10 basketball tournament and one of the most memorable parts of that trip was a visit to the brand new Sun King brewery (www.sunkingbrewing.com). What made this place stick out to me was that they were just starting out and happened to be having a tasting event that day. For $10 we got 10 tickets, which means 10 drinks, as well as the opportunity to sit and visit or look around the brewery. As people were leaving they would give us their tickets which meant more beers for us. Needless to say, we got a little bit of buzz going but I remember the beers being very good.

Sun King doesn’t distribute outside of Indiana, yet, but my brother-in-law would bootleg Sun King products back to Iowa when they would return home to visit. Osiris isn’t a pale ale that is lighter in flavor, this pale ale bites back a bit with a nice resinous hop presence followed by some sweetness to balance it out.

3.55/5  rDev -10.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Big thanks to my
co-worker for this surprise!

Sun King Osiris

Pours a clear, light orange/yellow color with an inch of white head. Lots of sticky lacing.

The nose has some earthy, grassy hops working, along with some sweet caramel malts.

The flavor profile is pretty similar and quite subtle. There is some grassy hops that have a nice bittering effect, followed by a balncing amouny of sweet malt.

The mouthfeel is light-medium bodied with a crisp amount of carbonation that is quite nice.

Overall, super drinkable, decent flavors and did I say drinkable? Great brew for a nice day, unfortunately for me, its cold and rainy outside. Either way, nice session brew. Just wish it was a bit bolder.

3.56/5  rDev -10.6%

16oz can served in shaker pint

extra courtesy of robwestcott!

A: Pours a bright golden hue. Lighter in color than expected. Fluffy head from a semi aggressive pour. Solid head retention. very clear.

S: Lots of pine with just a touch of mint. Faint citrus. Some pale malt in the background and a little bit of carmel. Scent is muted overall.

T: Nice bitterness. Mild citrus. Grassy, herbal hops. Crackery malt in the background. Minty finish with a hefty dose of bitterness to dry it all up.

M: Prickly carbonation. Medium body.

D: Easy to drink. Would love to keep this as an everyday staple if it were available to me.

This is a nice beer. I've had some Daisy Cutters this week, which hurts Osiris by comparison. With the Daisy Cutter so fresh in my memory this one seems pedestrian. Osiris is, however, a very nice beer and I wish I had access to it in PGH.

3.56/5  rDev -10.6%

Another gift from my friend Chris, which he picked up in Indianapolis while driving back to college. Poured from a 16 oz. can into a pint glass.

A - Pours a butterscotch orange, with a slight haze. Minimal carbonation with a fluffy two finger head.

S - Very mild aroma, was expecting more here. Some orange, citrus and pine, with a hint of maltiness as well.

T - Starts with some nice citrus and hops and finishes dry with some bread-like characteristics. Maybe some caramel in there as well.

M - A medium - full feel for me, more heft than anticipated.

O - Extremely drinkable, if a little tame. Overall solid for a flagship, but its no Alpha King. Thanks again, Chris!

Osiris Pale Ale from Sun King Brewing Company