Grapefruit Jungle IPA - Sun King Brewing Company

to view more.
Ratings: 284 | Reviews: 58
Reviews by AaronHomoya:
4.15/5  rDev -1.7%

Nice double IPA from Sun King. Color is a dark amber with an off-white head. Persistant, but not a lot of lacing. Tropical fruit, caramel, biscuit and grapefruit aroma. Powerful. Taste is hoppy, of course, with a good malt sweetness, pine and a bit of alcohol at the finish. Mouthful is thick, dry at the end and could use a bit more carbonation, I think. Overall, a great beer that I love being able to get fresh here in Indy.

4.32/5  rDev +2.4%

Tried this just today on tap at Sun King. Review is from the growler I brought home.

Pours a hazy orange. Huge hoppy citrus smell. Loads of grapefruit and orange. Tastes very citrusy. Very hoppy. Huge bitterness on the back end of the taste that keeps me from pounding this. Mouthfeel is medium bodied, carbonated, and excellent. This might be my favorite brew if not for the IBU's on this bad boy. They are very noticeable. Once again, sun king has these awesome beers that they haven't canned yet. They need to expand.

3.9/5  rDev -7.6%

Nice copper color with very little head. Strong citrus smell. You can smell the grapefruit and finishes with a nice malt flavor. Hits the tongue lightly before the malts kick in and then the citrus and hops finish. Very fun IPA. Light easy finish, so I can drink many.

4.21/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

17.50 for 4 pack of cans from brewery

A- Redish-orange with off-white head. Some lacing
S - Citrus- grapefruit & orange rinds. Dankish hops
T- Sweet on the front, then tart citrus and finally tart grapefruit
M- Smooth... a bit on the thin side, but very drinkable

O- Best offering I have had from SunKing. Price point may be a bit high.

4.42/5  rDev +4.7%

On tap at Twenty Taps in Broad Ripple

A: Nice color, pretty normal for an IPA

S: Very good smell, lots of fruits but since the name is Grapefruit I could smell that the most.

T: Tangy hoppy grapefruit. Very nice IPA taste with a little extra kick of grapefruit.

M: Pretty good nothing special for an IPA, good carbonation with nice hops and fruit overtones.

O: Try this for sure as it is most likely my favorite beer from Sun King.

4.05/5  rDev -4%

Big thanks goes out to my boy aasher for sending me this one after the second release due to losing the first one in another shipment. Thanks Al! Shared this one with my doppelganger, funkydelic, and beeruser. Served from growler into a Bell's stemmed tulip. Poured yellow-orange with a two finger off-white head that subsided to half a finger slowly. Maintained nice lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, grapefruit, grapefruit hop, citrus, and citrus hop. The flavor was of sweet malt, grapefruit, citrus, grapefruit hop, and citrus hop. It had a medium feel on the palate with medium carbonation. Overall this was a pretty good brew. As stated by the name, this one was pretty grapefruit dominant. This is usually a great thing, but this one was a little too much grapefruit to be able to pick out other subtlties in the brew. Definitely still a nice beer that any fan of the American IPA should get their hands on at least once!

3.47/5  rDev -17.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Got a single can from behind the counter at my local beer store. Pretty stoked when I got it since they didn't get many. Drank it as fresh as possible the day after I purchased

Appearance: One of the best things about this beer–crystal clear copper with a finger of off-white head. Dark for an IPA, but beautiful.

Aroma: This is where I was disappointed. I am used to getting smacked in the face by hops when sniffing these rare IPAs. Not so here. Subtle fruit and citrus aromas with a bit of musty grain. Not terrible, but not what I was expecting from a $4/can rare seasonal IPA called Grapefruit Jungle.

Taste: Once again, not bag, but a bit underwhelming. I found this to be very balanced instead of super hop forward. Fruity and citrusy flavors balanced nicely by malt and a gentle bitterness at the end that sticks around.

Mouthfeel: Medium mouthfeel. Good carbonation level. Wish it was a bit more dry.

Overall: Like I said, not bad, but not what I was expecting for all the hype. I am coming to the conclusion that the majority of hard-to-find seasonal releases are genius marketing, not necessarily genius brewing. I would probably go to this beer quite a bit if it was $9.00 a six-pack and was easy to find. Probably won't be going out of my way for it in the future.

4.3/5  rDev +1.9%

Had on cask at Winterfest.

A- Poured a hazy golden orange color. One finger white head hows poor retention. Light streaky lacing on the sides of the glass.

S- Tons of fresh grapefruit with hints of orange peel in the front of the beer. Some light caramel malts in the very back of the nose. Some piney hops in the ending of the aroma.

T- Well grapefruit and more grapefruit rush and crush the palate right from the get go. Light notes of orange peel toward the middle with a nice caramel malt backbone. I also get a little mango right after the caramel malt which quickly turns to grapefruit. Ending of the beer is nice warming alcohol and nice bittery hops to balance out this sweet IPA.

M- Medium mouthfeel. Carbonation was a little weak but overall still good. Grapefruit and more grapefruit left on the palate. Aftertaste is mostly light medicinal alcohol, medium graprefruit hop bite, light caramel malts, and heavier crisp piney hops. This beer was grapefruit forward and balanced toward that. No off flavors in this beer. Medium heavy drying on the palate from alcohol.

D- On cask this is a different beast. The alcohol seemed to be a little more well hidden and this helps with the drinkability. As a hophead this was dream come true. I had this both on tap and on cask and must say cask is way better.

4.32/5  rDev +2.4%

Thanks to Cam for picking up an extra 4 pack for me.

Poured into a wine glass, all the beer glasses were dirty.

Pours clear amber, fairly clear, billowing white head that quickly fades. Average to meh on the lacing but oh well.

Smacks of thick sticky hops, citrus, and yes, grapefruit on the nose.

Taste is more grapefruit with a nice balance of slight sweetness on the end. Just a twang of bitterness on the back end.

Crisp, refreshing, very drinkable, glad to have an extra 4 oz.

Overall a super quality offering, my first from Sun King. I'm pumped I have 3 more cans. I am docking just a bit on the overall because it is a little on the expensive side.

4.32/5  rDev +2.4%

Thanks to Urbancaver for picking me up a four pack of this on his way to the CBS release and brew3crew being the middle man getting it to me. Cheers!

Appearance – Pours a dark amber into a tulip with around half finger of off white, almost tan head that dissipates slowly leaving some nice lacing.

Smell – As SOON as I pour this I smell just massive amounts of grapefruit, hence the name I suppose. Resiny, hoppy aromas mixed with a slight backbone and a crap ton of grapefruit is about all I get.

Taste – As I sip I imagine eating a grapefruit as a child, no joke. The initial bitter grapefruit taste mixed with the citrus and finally the malt comes through (like the sugar I used to put on top of grapefruit) to help balance some of the bitterness.

Mouthfeel – Medium bodied, creamy, could use a hint more carbonation.

Overall – A solid beer but at $18 a four pack, it is a bit pricy. I’d for sure pick this up every now and then if it was distributed by me though. Quite good.

3.77/5  rDev -10.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Many thanks to the legendary woodychandler for the hook up. Poured from a 16 oz. can. Has a burnt orange color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is alive with grapefruit and hops. Taste is very hoppy, grapefruit, considerable bitterness throughout. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall is a good quality beer.

4.62/5  rDev +9.5%

Pours a bright orange/gold with some white foamy goodness.

Smells of grapefruit and citrus hops however there is just a hint of caramel to balance out.

Wow this may be my favorite Sun King brew. Huge grapefruit flavor throughout. At first there is some citrus to accompany it followed by some bready caramel malt and it finishes with a HUGE grapefruit bitterness in the aftertaste like nothing I've had before. I've had similar intense piney bitterness before but not grapefruit. It really finishes like I am drinking grapefruit juice.

Mouthfeel and carbonation are typical for the style.

I can't get enough of this stuff. Hopefully it'll be a future canning release as I'd love to have this more.

4.3/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A-Clear deep orange, some carbonation, one finger head.

S-Good deal of hops, rather citrusy and tropical. Some malt and grassy notes as well.

T-Starts with citrus hops. Has a harsh (in a good way) hop finish, Mild bitterness. Tad bit of malt with some pine as well.

M-Medium bodied, slightly carbonated, good deal of hop resins.

O-A well made IPA, not really worth the pricetag, but worth trying.

3.66/5  rDev -13.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Light copper with pale blonde highlights when backlit and a creamy khaki head that leaves blobs of lace on the glass. The aroma is the best part of this beer, and to me it's more Pineapple than Grapefruit jungle. Pure tropical fruity hops in the nose and faint sweet malt in the background. Resinous hops flavors and grapefruit citrusy notes with a lean malt backbone that falls a bit short for my liking. Lighter bodied for a bigger IPA with nice smooth carbonation. An above average brew for SK but for $18 a four pack it should be amazing, it is not.

3.9/5  rDev -7.6%

Pint can into a snifter.

A. Pours out reddish-orange with small white head.

S. Juicy grapefruit, light pine, caramel, sourdough, blood orange, light breadiness.

T. Grassy bitterness, tangerine and grapefruit, a bit of sweet malt.

M. Light-bodied with moderate carbonation.

O. A nice grapefruity IPA.

2.93/5  rDev -30.6%

Can shared by NosignsofPain in which she got in a BIF

Look: Orange in color and totally translucent. 1/2 inch head and no retention at all

Smell: Not much going on at all. Some bready notes backed up by a hint of citrus. Old batch maybe??

Taste: Ever so slight notes of citrus but no grapefruit what so ever. A bit of hop sting on the backend

Mouthfeel: Light body and medium carbonation

Overall: Not that great of a beer maybe this was a old batch

4.28/5  rDev +1.4%

poured 16oz can into snifter.

A - Burnt orange and amber with a large 3 finger off white head. Excellent retention that fades into a frothy cap. Thick splotches of lacing on the glass.

S - Pleasant notes of citrus and floral hops. Grapefruit peel and some tangerine with sweet caramel notes.

T - This really does have a nice grapefruit flavor. It is not intense bitter grapefruit, but a sweeter ripe grapefruit. Other citrus hops dance around the palate before giving way to some sweet caramel malts. Finish is more delicious grapefruit flavor. Pretty straight forward, but very tasty.

M - Medium feel with good carbonation. Somewhat sticky with a bit of bitterness on the finish.

O - This lives up to its name and is a flavorful grapefruit IPA. Worth buying if you see it.

4.42/5  rDev +4.7%

I picked this up at the brewery and had a couple growlers filled. I tried it on tap before I purchased the growler and it was excellent. It was my first time there so it was cool to see how they operate and to grab a beer that had just been released. The growler popped pretty loudly as I opened it and this beer poured a pretty thin, very translucent dark auburn in color with a one finger fluffy white head which laced the glass. Instantly you get aromas of very citrusy and piny hops as well as orange peel and grapefruit (hence the name). It also has this pleasant bubblegum like sweetness on the backend. The flavor is very good as well. It's very dry and very piny. The citrus and grapefruit come through really well and give it both bitter and sweet accents. It drinks pretty light and is very crisp and well carbonated. This beer is very drinkable. I'm not usually a fan of Sun King but this beer is pretty superb. It's understandable why they ran out of the beer in less than two days.

4.08/5  rDev -3.3%

Finally found Grapefruit Jungle! I've been on the hunt due to some friendly recommendations, and because I know these guys can do the bitter thing well - they really won me over with their Osiris PA. Plus, I love supporting my hometown brewery.

On-tap and into a pint glass at The Black Sparrow in Lafayette, IN on 09/15/11. Reviewed from notes.

A: Love this look: rich amber with a creamy beige head. Awesome shine, like I've seen in so many Sun King brews. Minimal lacing and retention.

S: Mmmmm...a big, piney hop nose. Savory grapefruit shows itself, as expected, but the main attraction is the tart pine. Some bright malt aromas beneath, though mild. Bright and lively, altogether.

T: Lovely bitters up front - bold and crisp, with a delicious, slightly citrus tang. Some chewy malts underneath provide a wheaty, fruity base, which adds nice sugars to an undeniably hop-centric brew. Aftertaste is super-dry; nothing but pine there. Very nice, Sun King.

M: Incredibly drinkable. Medium carbonation and fluidity teetering right on the edge of thinness (but never crossing over, mind you).

O: I've had a Sun King or two that did not taste like it was made in a commercial brewery - but not this one. This is a very professional example of an American IPA, and certainly worth seeking out. This is my favorite Sun King beer so far; hope they can it ASAP!

4.2/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Served out of a can. Fresh - just released recently.

A: Crystal clear amber, great color, only docking this category because the head retention and lacing was not what I expected it to be.

S: Beautiful citrus, grapefruit, slight pine bitterness, light malt.

T: Not quite grapefruit, but close...complex citrus is present (obviously, given the name), with grapefruit, orange/grapefruit rind - there's bitter crispness without it truly being bitter. The bitterness doesn't linger due to great malt balance, but malt is more in the background. It's all about the complex, diverse flavors contributed by the hops. Taste becomes more complex as it warms. Each sip is interesting and delightful.

F: Ideal feel. Medium body, medium carbonation. Smooth. The mouthfeel is an afterthought with this beer, with the complex flavor as the highlight - as it should be.

O: Awesome IPA. It stands out from start to finish. I can see why it's become quickly popular. The price is a bit steep, but worth a try. I was fortunate enough to find a can sold individually for $4.50, as the only 4 packs I could find were $18. Definitely worth a try though. Represents the Midwest/Upper-Midwest region of taste profile well. Worth a try if you can get your hands on it.

4.8/5  rDev +13.7%

I love the way The CANQuest (TM) CANtinues to ferret out new CANs for me to review! I read a post about this beer's upcoming release and sent a BeerMail reach-out to one of the release's attendees to see about trading for some. Many, many thanks to dannyfrost for taking me up on my offer! I CAN't wait to drink me some jungle juice.

From the CAN: As noted by a previous reviewer, it came in a generic CAN with an attached sticker. "A pint in every [CAN]"; "Fresh-Local-Beer"; "Specialty Beer"; "Water-Grain-Hops-Yeast; Crafted for you enjoyment with love from Sun King".

The Crack immediately filled the air with a grapefruit scent and the Glug left no need for air freshener, as long as one likes the citrusy smell of grapefruit ... I produced two-and-a-half fingers of thick tawny head with excellent retention. The beer itself was a gorgeous shade of amber with NE-plus quality clarity, allowing me to see into the future. BUPGOO! The nose was enough to put this hophead into orbit, what with its full-on raging grapefruitiness. Mouthfeel was medium and the taste was EXACTLY like grapefruit juice - intense, bitter, tangy, effin beautiful! I have to cop to being an aficionado of grapefruit juice in the morning, especially when I take breakfast at a diner. Grapefruit juice and a hot cuppa joe has resurrected my dead, drunken ass on more occasions than I care to think about. Man, I was feeling fully revitalized while drinking this beer! They might market its medicinal qualities in the future. Just sayin' ... Lacing was on the light side, although it was present. The finish was gaspingly dry and bitter and I was sucking it down the way an SUV sucks up gasoline. I read complaints that it was spendy, but I found it worthwhile and I would definitely buy more to have in my cooler on Hula in the Coola Day in February. It may not be for everybody, but it was definitely for me! Thanks again, dannyfrost.

Thanks to Ethan for bringing this growler to our UFC 134 viewing.

A - Hazy orange beer with some gold in it. Head didn't stick around for long, left some moderate stick on the sides.

S - Actually does smell like grapefruit, although not overly bitter or sour. Citrus has a nice sweet, note to it. Sweet sugar malt backbone. Some ecent resin bitterness on the end.

T - Good amount of grapefruit that is nicely sweetened with the sugar malt backbone. I'm not a huge grapefruit fan but this manages to keep the flavor and not get too "grapefruity". Some bitterness on the end.

M - Medium bodied with good carbonation.

O - Slight alcohol bite on the end makes it seem a little bit bigger than the ABV, but this is still pretty easy to get down. Pretty good beer, although as I'm not a fan of the grapefruity beers. It's solid enough though that I'd gladly drink it again if offered.

4.37/5  rDev +3.6%

Had on tap at Scotty's Lakehouse.

Pours a cloudy copper color with a little off white head when they finally brought it to me.

It smells very hoppy with a little sweetness. Grapefruit is the air people, watch the fuck out!

It taste like you are actually eating a ripe grapefruit without the pucker face it would normally give you. This has to be my favorite beer by SK. No real notice of alcohol present and it has a nice sweet malty backbone to not be overly-bitter. The bitterness lingers a bit, but nicely done.

Seek this one out if you can. I hope they can this bad boy asafp!

I lose sleep thinking about this beer

4.34/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a burnt orange, copperish color with a finger length head that goes away slowly and leaves a thick ring of lacing. Decent carbonation coming off the glass. Smells of tons of grapefruit (big surprise), tangerine, mango, resinous qualities from the hops, pine, some breadiness and some carmel from the malt. Taste is grapefruit heaven. Starts with lots of bitter grapefruit. Almost like grapefruit rind. Then the middle brings a nice sweet bready quality, as well as some carmel. Just enough malt to take the bitter edge off and have the grapefruit flavor shine. Finish is lots of juicy grapefruit, almost like a grape juice flavor to it, more carmel, candied sugar, resin. High medium body with a creamy, yet crisp mouthfeel. Although it’s a little on the expensive side, this really is an outstanding IPA that stays true to it’s name. Sun King continues to impress.

to view more.