Grapefruit Jungle (GFJ) - Sun King Brewing Company

Grapefruit Jungle (GFJ)Grapefruit Jungle (GFJ)

Sun King Brewing Company visit their website
Indiana, United States

Beer added by: robwestcott on 05-23-2010

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Grapefruit Jungle (GFJ) Alström Bros
4.8/5  rDev +15.9%

I love the way The CANQuest (TM) CANtinues to ferret out new CANs for me to review! I read a post about this beer's upcoming release and sent a BeerMail reach-out to one of the release's attendees to see about trading for some. Many, many thanks to dannyfrost for taking me up on my offer! I CAN't wait to drink me some jungle juice.

From the CAN: As noted by a previous reviewer, it came in a generic CAN with an attached sticker. "A pint in every [CAN]"; "Fresh-Local-Beer"; "Specialty Beer"; "Water-Grain-Hops-Yeast; Crafted for you enjoyment with love from Sun King".

The Crack immediately filled the air with a grapefruit scent and the Glug left no need for air freshener, as long as one likes the citrusy smell of grapefruit ... I produced two-and-a-half fingers of thick tawny head with excellent retention. The beer itself was a gorgeous shade of amber with NE-plus quality clarity, allowing me to see into the future. BUPGOO! The nose was enough to put this hophead into orbit, what with its full-on raging grapefruitiness. Mouthfeel was medium and the taste was EXACTLY like grapefruit juice - intense, bitter, tangy, effin beautiful! I have to cop to being an aficionado of grapefruit juice in the morning, especially when I take breakfast at a diner. Grapefruit juice and a hot cuppa joe has resurrected my dead, drunken ass on more occasions than I care to think about. Man, I was feeling fully revitalized while drinking this beer! They might market its medicinal qualities in the future. Just sayin' ... Lacing was on the light side, although it was present. The finish was gaspingly dry and bitter and I was sucking it down the way an SUV sucks up gasoline. I read complaints that it was spendy, but I found it worthwhile and I would definitely buy more to have in my cooler on Hula in the Coola Day in February. It may not be for everybody, but it was definitely for me! Thanks again, dannyfrost.

4.8/5  rDev +15.9%

Poured a very nice semi-deep copper color with some very nice head and a bit of nice lacing. It had a great thick citrus hop aroma with a great sweet malt backing, well balanced in the nose. Great flavors, with a wonderful thick malt sweetness and an excellent, and very well named, grapefruit hop bitterness at the end that lasted on the tongue. Went down extremely well, with no hint of its high ABV, and just a bit of hop roughness.

4.74/5  rDev +14.5%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Pours a beautiful golden amber with a nice head and lacing down the glass. The aroma of passion fruit hits your nose followed by the taste of citrus (grapefruit) and apricot. Very drinkable with a slightly dry finish.

I wish it was less expensive and more readily available, time to try and clone this one.

4.65/5  rDev +12.3%

Having this on tap at the local watering hole.

A: The brew shows up to the table as a dark red maybe redish orange in color. 1/2 inch wispy head and light lace on the glass.

S: seems to be a mishmash of citrus aromas and hops. I was hoping for a stronger grapefruit aroma but It smells good all the same.

T: This beer is fabulous. Grapefruit and orange peel are the two big things I get and it mixes really well with the bitterness and hops that are present. Not a hopknster or bitter bomb at all. I think I prefer it that way. It's just the right balance as to not over power the citrus.

M: medium body and really easy drinking.

O: I will be having this again in the future!

4.62/5  rDev +11.6%

Pours a bright orange/gold with some white foamy goodness.

Smells of grapefruit and citrus hops however there is just a hint of caramel to balance out.

Wow this may be my favorite Sun King brew. Huge grapefruit flavor throughout. At first there is some citrus to accompany it followed by some bready caramel malt and it finishes with a HUGE grapefruit bitterness in the aftertaste like nothing I've had before. I've had similar intense piney bitterness before but not grapefruit. It really finishes like I am drinking grapefruit juice.

Mouthfeel and carbonation are typical for the style.

I can't get enough of this stuff. Hopefully it'll be a future canning release as I'd love to have this more.

4.55/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

16 oz can poured into a pint glass

A- Pours a clear golden color. A one finger of an off white bubblyhead.

S- No surprise, grapefruit in this one. A very strong and hoppy aroma. Very west coast style. A bit of a cat piss aroma and sharp pine in addition to the grape fruit. An awesome smelling beer.

T- Tastes a lot like it smells. A big bitterness at front. A very crisp and clean malt profile in this beer. A bit like a crisp lager maltiness. A very nice hop profile on this beer. As advertised, A grapefruit bomb. There is also a good bit of other tropical notes from the hops. A fresh pineyness to this beer. A very well done take on a west coast IPA.

M- A clear and clean palate. A refreshing and not too bitter IPA. Not a ton of body but an extremely drinkable IPA.

O- Very impressed by this beer. A well done IPA. A bit exp[ensive at 17$ a 4 pack but well worth trying.

4.47/5  rDev +8%

Appearance: The color is an orangish-amber with maybe a bit of red if the light hits it just right. Not as much head was present as I suspected for an IPA, but that must be because of the higher alcohol content. It did leave a nice lacing trail along the sides of the glass.

Smell: Lots of citrus but too much of a mish-mash for me to tell what is there. Hops definitely give a bittering smell to the aroma, but dominated by the fruity citrus.

Taste: Remember the thing I said about the smell having too many fruits to identify? The taste is a bit like that. I get strong flavors of grapefruit (appropriately) and orange zest, and then everything else is like a mixed-fruit-smoothie. Grapefruit seems to intensify on the finish (which was AWESOME). Great hop bite on the end which increases on finish like the grapefruit taste.

Mouthfeel: A lot thicker than a lot of the other Sun King beers that I have had. Great carbonation for the beer style and taste.

Overall: Awesome beer with a hefty price tag which makes it an appropriate and highly valued seasonal brew. Would recommend.

On tap at Twenty Taps in Broad Ripple

A: Nice color, pretty normal for an IPA

S: Very good smell, lots of fruits but since the name is Grapefruit I could smell that the most.

T: Tangy hoppy grapefruit. Very nice IPA taste with a little extra kick of grapefruit.

M: Pretty good nothing special for an IPA, good carbonation with nice hops and fruit overtones.

O: Try this for sure as it is most likely my favorite beer from Sun King.

4.42/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Enjoyed this brew fresh at the Sun King Fishers Tap House. I went in for the first sip thinking the citrus would be too much , but instead found GFJ to be nicely balanced and very refreshing.

4.42/5  rDev +6.8%

16oz can courtesy of Memyselfandi. Thanks Mike!

A- Clear orange/amber color with two fingers of dense white foam. Nice lacing.

S- Fruity citrus hops abound in the nose. Grapefruit and tangerine with notes of pine and bready malt.

T- Bitter from the git-go. Grapefruit predominates. Malt bill smooths things out midway. Nice piney bitterness in the finish with a lingering bitter aftertaste.

M- Medium feel. Prickly carbonation. ABV well masked by the hoppy goodness going on in this brew.

O- This is a very tasty example of the style. The only brew I've had from Sun King, and a darned good one, at that. I'd have this again anytime, and would choose it over a good number of other highly rated IPAs. Recommended.

4.42/5  rDev +6.8%

It has a nice orange tint with a big fluffy white head that lingers and laces the sides of the glass with each drink. The nose is huge grapefruit with a little sweetness. It has a huge grapefruit taste. The mouthfeels is thin but for the style it is pretty standard, and it has good carbonation. I could see myself drinking a lot of this, the 7% alc is hardly noticable.

4.42/5  rDev +6.8%

Pour - streaming out of the can GFJ fills the glass with a brilliant orangish golden color topped with a good inch of fluffy white foam. Nice carbonation, clean and clear. Great looking beer!

Aroma - tons of citrus, resiny, piney goodness. Lots of great hop aroma bursting forth from this IPA. Smells like a fresh halved pink grapefruits, oranges and lemons. Some slight sweetness in the aroma as well.

Taste - wow! My tongue has been awoken by an onslaught of big hop flavors and plenty of bitterness. Lots of tropical fruits like passionfruit and mango combine with pink grapefruit and sweet blood oranges. The piney, bitterness that comes into play at the end of each sip is masochistically delicious. So many great flavors in this beer and its well-balanced too!

Overall - excellent IPA! I can't possibly say enough good things about this beer. The hop profile and the flavors it imparts are just outstanding. Lots of big tropical fruit and citrus flavors with a solid malt backbone (yet, certainly hop forward) make this a real joy to drink. I only wish I had more of them! I feel lucky to have had the chance to give this one a try. I would encourage the folks at Sun King to order 100,000 Grapefruit Jungle IPA cans and put this one into year round production.

4.37/5  rDev +5.6%

Had on tap at Scotty's Lakehouse.

Pours a cloudy copper color with a little off white head when they finally brought it to me.

It smells very hoppy with a little sweetness. Grapefruit is the air people, watch the fuck out!

It taste like you are actually eating a ripe grapefruit without the pucker face it would normally give you. This has to be my favorite beer by SK. No real notice of alcohol present and it has a nice sweet malty backbone to not be overly-bitter. The bitterness lingers a bit, but nicely done.

Seek this one out if you can. I hope they can this bad boy asafp!

4.37/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Here goes my first attempt at a beer review and because I live in Indy it might as well be a local brew. I've had Sun King before, but have never been to the brewery. Some buddies and I went to a Friday afternoon tasting of the beers they had on tap at the brewery. After tasting the Grapefruit Jungle IPA I was in love and bought a growler.
A: poured from a sealed growler into pint glass. Color was a dark amber and left a 1.5 to 2 finger head, which diminished to some nice lacing.

S: very citrusy: grapefruit (hence the name), orange and hoppy. Very well balanced and neither is overpowering

T: first taste is of citrus (grapefruit-from the combination of 3 different hops) and then a rush of hops, which is nicely balanced with the taste of malt.

M: Got some really nice flavors taking my second sip, breathing in and letting it all hit your palate. Medium feel in the mouth and was very smooth

D: Very drinkable considering I finished a growler in 2 settings.

After tasting all their beers in a single setting I realized that these guys have it going on. As we were talking with some of the guys at the brewery they told us that this coming baseball season that some of their beers will be on tap at Victory Field, home of the Indianapolis Indiana AAA baseball team, which is awesome for them.Keep it up guys!

4.35/5  rDev +5.1%

On tap at the Black Sparrow in Lafayette.

Pours thick, dark, and hazy. Like clay-laden puddle water, only in a good way.

Smells... welp, it smells like grapefruit hops. Giant, sticky citrus nodes balanced with a bready malt that does a good job of bookending the aroma without detracting from the hop complexities.

Tastes as it smells, a barrage of citrus hops that would be overwhelming were it not for juuust the right amount of pleasantly dull, bready malt. It's a very big flavor, and it's pulled off quite well--there's no icky nodes, no tongue scum, no burniness. It's not quite complex enough to make an elite strong IPA, but it's damn close.

4.34/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a burnt orange, copperish color with a finger length head that goes away slowly and leaves a thick ring of lacing. Decent carbonation coming off the glass. Smells of tons of grapefruit (big surprise), tangerine, mango, resinous qualities from the hops, pine, some breadiness and some carmel from the malt. Taste is grapefruit heaven. Starts with lots of bitter grapefruit. Almost like grapefruit rind. Then the middle brings a nice sweet bready quality, as well as some carmel. Just enough malt to take the bitter edge off and have the grapefruit flavor shine. Finish is lots of juicy grapefruit, almost like a grape juice flavor to it, more carmel, candied sugar, resin. High medium body with a creamy, yet crisp mouthfeel. Although it’s a little on the expensive side, this really is an outstanding IPA that stays true to it’s name. Sun King continues to impress.

4.32/5  rDev +4.3%

Tried this just today on tap at Sun King. Review is from the growler I brought home.

Pours a hazy orange. Huge hoppy citrus smell. Loads of grapefruit and orange. Tastes very citrusy. Very hoppy. Huge bitterness on the back end of the taste that keeps me from pounding this. Mouthfeel is medium bodied, carbonated, and excellent. This might be my favorite brew if not for the IBU's on this bad boy. They are very noticeable. Once again, sun king has these awesome beers that they haven't canned yet. They need to expand.

4.32/5  rDev +4.3%

Thanks to Cam for picking up an extra 4 pack for me.

Poured into a wine glass, all the beer glasses were dirty.

Pours clear amber, fairly clear, billowing white head that quickly fades. Average to meh on the lacing but oh well.

Smacks of thick sticky hops, citrus, and yes, grapefruit on the nose.

Taste is more grapefruit with a nice balance of slight sweetness on the end. Just a twang of bitterness on the back end.

Crisp, refreshing, very drinkable, glad to have an extra 4 oz.

Overall a super quality offering, my first from Sun King. I'm pumped I have 3 more cans. I am docking just a bit on the overall because it is a little on the expensive side.

4.32/5  rDev +4.3%

Thanks to Urbancaver for picking me up a four pack of this on his way to the CBS release and brew3crew being the middle man getting it to me. Cheers!

Appearance – Pours a dark amber into a tulip with around half finger of off white, almost tan head that dissipates slowly leaving some nice lacing.

Smell – As SOON as I pour this I smell just massive amounts of grapefruit, hence the name I suppose. Resiny, hoppy aromas mixed with a slight backbone and a crap ton of grapefruit is about all I get.

Taste – As I sip I imagine eating a grapefruit as a child, no joke. The initial bitter grapefruit taste mixed with the citrus and finally the malt comes through (like the sugar I used to put on top of grapefruit) to help balance some of the bitterness.

Mouthfeel – Medium bodied, creamy, could use a hint more carbonation.

Overall – A solid beer but at $18 a four pack, it is a bit pricy. I’d for sure pick this up every now and then if it was distributed by me though. Quite good.

4.32/5  rDev +4.3%

Arrived crystal clear yellow-towards-amber with only a trace of head with 1mm bubbles floating to the surface. Smell was breakfast juice glass: clean, clear, sweet, unmistakeable grapefruit.

One note in the taste. Except for the lack of pulp, clarity, and color, I could indeed be drinking grapefruit juice. While I'm not one for one-note beers, this is simply amazing. Just to be able to do it!

The mouthfeel was a little thinner than I wanted; I think I wanted just a little more substance -- yes, perhaps like fresh-squeezed juice. It was very drinkable: I ordered a second.

4.3/5  rDev +3.9%

Had on cask at Winterfest.

A- Poured a hazy golden orange color. One finger white head hows poor retention. Light streaky lacing on the sides of the glass.

S- Tons of fresh grapefruit with hints of orange peel in the front of the beer. Some light caramel malts in the very back of the nose. Some piney hops in the ending of the aroma.

T- Well grapefruit and more grapefruit rush and crush the palate right from the get go. Light notes of orange peel toward the middle with a nice caramel malt backbone. I also get a little mango right after the caramel malt which quickly turns to grapefruit. Ending of the beer is nice warming alcohol and nice bittery hops to balance out this sweet IPA.

M- Medium mouthfeel. Carbonation was a little weak but overall still good. Grapefruit and more grapefruit left on the palate. Aftertaste is mostly light medicinal alcohol, medium graprefruit hop bite, light caramel malts, and heavier crisp piney hops. This beer was grapefruit forward and balanced toward that. No off flavors in this beer. Medium heavy drying on the palate from alcohol.

D- On cask this is a different beast. The alcohol seemed to be a little more well hidden and this helps with the drinkability. As a hophead this was dream come true. I had this both on tap and on cask and must say cask is way better.

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A-Clear deep orange, some carbonation, one finger head.

S-Good deal of hops, rather citrusy and tropical. Some malt and grassy notes as well.

T-Starts with citrus hops. Has a harsh (in a good way) hop finish, Mild bitterness. Tad bit of malt with some pine as well.

M-Medium bodied, slightly carbonated, good deal of hop resins.

O-A well made IPA, not really worth the pricetag, but worth trying.

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

From the can that found its way into my fridge, the ale was a handsome copper color with a bubbly and perhaps fluffy white head. The aroma was the high point of this beer for me. The aroma was largely grapefruit and grass, but there was an amazing amount of sweetness in the aroma. In the initial taste, one detects tangerine, passion fruit, tangy pine, and bitter resin. The bitterness dominates the sweet notes a little too much for my liking. With a name like grapefruit jungle, I wanted more fruit. The bitterness lasts into the aftertaste with thicker than expected mouthfeel allowing it to linger. An enjoyable brew, but I imagine great potential with some of the elements of this beer in an imperial.

4.29/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

A dark golden color which was pretty clear. A mild citrus aroma. Grapefruit, citrus, and tropical fruits in the flavor followed by a medium amount of pine bitterness. Good smoothness, but bitterness and thin mouth feel distracts a little allowing the flavors to separate.

4.28/5  rDev +3.4%

poured 16oz can into snifter.

A - Burnt orange and amber with a large 3 finger off white head. Excellent retention that fades into a frothy cap. Thick splotches of lacing on the glass.

S - Pleasant notes of citrus and floral hops. Grapefruit peel and some tangerine with sweet caramel notes.

T - This really does have a nice grapefruit flavor. It is not intense bitter grapefruit, but a sweeter ripe grapefruit. Other citrus hops dance around the palate before giving way to some sweet caramel malts. Finish is more delicious grapefruit flavor. Pretty straight forward, but very tasty.

M - Medium feel with good carbonation. Somewhat sticky with a bit of bitterness on the finish.

O - This lives up to its name and is a flavorful grapefruit IPA. Worth buying if you see it.

Grapefruit Jungle (GFJ) from Sun King Brewing Company