Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

GFA - Sun King Brewing Company

Sun King Brewing Company visit their website
Indiana, United States

Beer added by: robwestcott on 05-23-2010

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of GFA Alström Bros
firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last
4.08/5  rDev -1.7%

Finally found Grapefruit Jungle! I've been on the hunt due to some friendly recommendations, and because I know these guys can do the bitter thing well - they really won me over with their Osiris PA. Plus, I love supporting my hometown brewery.

On-tap and into a pint glass at The Black Sparrow in Lafayette, IN on 09/15/11. Reviewed from notes.

A: Love this look: rich amber with a creamy beige head. Awesome shine, like I've seen in so many Sun King brews. Minimal lacing and retention.

S: Mmmmm...a big, piney hop nose. Savory grapefruit shows itself, as expected, but the main attraction is the tart pine. Some bright malt aromas beneath, though mild. Bright and lively, altogether.

T: Lovely bitters up front - bold and crisp, with a delicious, slightly citrus tang. Some chewy malts underneath provide a wheaty, fruity base, which adds nice sugars to an undeniably hop-centric brew. Aftertaste is super-dry; nothing but pine there. Very nice, Sun King.

M: Incredibly drinkable. Medium carbonation and fluidity teetering right on the edge of thinness (but never crossing over, mind you).

O: I've had a Sun King or two that did not taste like it was made in a commercial brewery - but not this one. This is a very professional example of an American IPA, and certainly worth seeking out. This is my favorite Sun King beer so far; hope they can it ASAP!

4.42/5  rDev +6.5%

On tap at Twenty Taps in Broad Ripple

A: Nice color, pretty normal for an IPA

S: Very good smell, lots of fruits but since the name is Grapefruit I could smell that the most.

T: Tangy hoppy grapefruit. Very nice IPA taste with a little extra kick of grapefruit.

M: Pretty good nothing special for an IPA, good carbonation with nice hops and fruit overtones.

O: Try this for sure as it is most likely my favorite beer from Sun King.

4.15/5  rDev 0%

Nice double IPA from Sun King. Color is a dark amber with an off-white head. Persistant, but not a lot of lacing. Tropical fruit, caramel, biscuit and grapefruit aroma. Powerful. Taste is hoppy, of course, with a good malt sweetness, pine and a bit of alcohol at the finish. Mouthful is thick, dry at the end and could use a bit more carbonation, I think. Overall, a great beer that I love being able to get fresh here in Indy.

Thanks to Ethan for bringing this growler to our UFC 134 viewing.

A - Hazy orange beer with some gold in it. Head didn't stick around for long, left some moderate stick on the sides.

S - Actually does smell like grapefruit, although not overly bitter or sour. Citrus has a nice sweet, note to it. Sweet sugar malt backbone. Some ecent resin bitterness on the end.

T - Good amount of grapefruit that is nicely sweetened with the sugar malt backbone. I'm not a huge grapefruit fan but this manages to keep the flavor and not get too "grapefruity". Some bitterness on the end.

M - Medium bodied with good carbonation.

O - Slight alcohol bite on the end makes it seem a little bit bigger than the ABV, but this is still pretty easy to get down. Pretty good beer, although as I'm not a fan of the grapefruity beers. It's solid enough though that I'd gladly drink it again if offered.

4.62/5  rDev +11.3%

Pours a bright orange/gold with some white foamy goodness.

Smells of grapefruit and citrus hops however there is just a hint of caramel to balance out.

Wow this may be my favorite Sun King brew. Huge grapefruit flavor throughout. At first there is some citrus to accompany it followed by some bready caramel malt and it finishes with a HUGE grapefruit bitterness in the aftertaste like nothing I've had before. I've had similar intense piney bitterness before but not grapefruit. It really finishes like I am drinking grapefruit juice.

Mouthfeel and carbonation are typical for the style.

I can't get enough of this stuff. Hopefully it'll be a future canning release as I'd love to have this more.

4.32/5  rDev +4.1%

Tried this just today on tap at Sun King. Review is from the growler I brought home.

Pours a hazy orange. Huge hoppy citrus smell. Loads of grapefruit and orange. Tastes very citrusy. Very hoppy. Huge bitterness on the back end of the taste that keeps me from pounding this. Mouthfeel is medium bodied, carbonated, and excellent. This might be my favorite brew if not for the IBU's on this bad boy. They are very noticeable. Once again, sun king has these awesome beers that they haven't canned yet. They need to expand.

4.08/5  rDev -1.7%

Test batch from an anonymous source. Label was a sticker on a generic Sun King can. Served in a Jester King snifter.

A - Finger of off-white foam that settles to a thin cap and thicker collar, leaving behind splotchy lace. Body is hazed dark golden-orange that made me think Double IPA initially.

S - Hops seem to have faded since this was brewed, although there is still some pithy grapefruit and tangerine character. Malt character is mostly icing sugar, and there's a bit of alcohol zest as well. I'm not going to be too hard, as I'm guessing this is from the January batch.

T - Taste is a nice East Coast blend of citrus-heavy hops with a caramel and bready malt backdrop. Tastes like there is some added dextrose as well. Finishes with light bitterness. Alcohol is better-hidden here.

M - Resiny medium body, pleasant medium carbonation level, dry finish, and no alcohol. Quite nice.

D - I thought this was more of a Double, but that may be because of the faded hop character since late January. In any case, it was enjoyable and I'd love to try it when there is a fresh batch, either on-tap or from a growler (or can if they go that route).

4.3/5  rDev +3.6%

Had on cask at Winterfest.

A- Poured a hazy golden orange color. One finger white head hows poor retention. Light streaky lacing on the sides of the glass.

S- Tons of fresh grapefruit with hints of orange peel in the front of the beer. Some light caramel malts in the very back of the nose. Some piney hops in the ending of the aroma.

T- Well grapefruit and more grapefruit rush and crush the palate right from the get go. Light notes of orange peel toward the middle with a nice caramel malt backbone. I also get a little mango right after the caramel malt which quickly turns to grapefruit. Ending of the beer is nice warming alcohol and nice bittery hops to balance out this sweet IPA.

M- Medium mouthfeel. Carbonation was a little weak but overall still good. Grapefruit and more grapefruit left on the palate. Aftertaste is mostly light medicinal alcohol, medium graprefruit hop bite, light caramel malts, and heavier crisp piney hops. This beer was grapefruit forward and balanced toward that. No off flavors in this beer. Medium heavy drying on the palate from alcohol.

D- On cask this is a different beast. The alcohol seemed to be a little more well hidden and this helps with the drinkability. As a hophead this was dream come true. I had this both on tap and on cask and must say cask is way better.

4.42/5  rDev +6.5%

It has a nice orange tint with a big fluffy white head that lingers and laces the sides of the glass with each drink. The nose is huge grapefruit with a little sweetness. It has a huge grapefruit taste. The mouthfeels is thin but for the style it is pretty standard, and it has good carbonation. I could see myself drinking a lot of this, the 7% alc is hardly noticable.

4.11/5  rDev -1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

I picked this up at the brewery and had a couple growlers filled. I tried it on tap before I purchased the growler and it was excellent. It was my first time there so it was cool to see how they operate and to grab a beer that had just been released. The growler popped pretty loudly as I opened it and this beer poured a pretty thin, very translucent dark auburn in color with a one finger fluffy white head which laced the glass. Instantly you get aromas of very citrusy and piny hops as well as orange peel and grapefruit (hence the name). It also has this pleasant bubblegum like sweetness on the backend. The flavor is very good as well. It's very dry and very piny. The citrus and grapefruit come through really well and give it both bitter and sweet accents. It drinks pretty light and is very crisp and well carbonated. This beer is very drinkable. I'm not usually a fan of Sun King but this beer is pretty superb. It's understandable why they ran out of the beer in less than two days.

4.37/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Here goes my first attempt at a beer review and because I live in Indy it might as well be a local brew. I've had Sun King before, but have never been to the brewery. Some buddies and I went to a Friday afternoon tasting of the beers they had on tap at the brewery. After tasting the Grapefruit Jungle IPA I was in love and bought a growler.
A: poured from a sealed growler into pint glass. Color was a dark amber and left a 1.5 to 2 finger head, which diminished to some nice lacing.

S: very citrusy: grapefruit (hence the name), orange and hoppy. Very well balanced and neither is overpowering

T: first taste is of citrus (grapefruit-from the combination of 3 different hops) and then a rush of hops, which is nicely balanced with the taste of malt.

M: Got some really nice flavors taking my second sip, breathing in and letting it all hit your palate. Medium feel in the mouth and was very smooth

D: Very drinkable considering I finished a growler in 2 settings.

After tasting all their beers in a single setting I realized that these guys have it going on. As we were talking with some of the guys at the brewery they told us that this coming baseball season that some of their beers will be on tap at Victory Field, home of the Indianapolis Indiana AAA baseball team, which is awesome for them.Keep it up guys!

4.32/5  rDev +4.1%

Arrived crystal clear yellow-towards-amber with only a trace of head with 1mm bubbles floating to the surface. Smell was breakfast juice glass: clean, clear, sweet, unmistakeable grapefruit.

One note in the taste. Except for the lack of pulp, clarity, and color, I could indeed be drinking grapefruit juice. While I'm not one for one-note beers, this is simply amazing. Just to be able to do it!

The mouthfeel was a little thinner than I wanted; I think I wanted just a little more substance -- yes, perhaps like fresh-squeezed juice. It was very drinkable: I ordered a second.

4.35/5  rDev +4.8%

On tap at the Black Sparrow in Lafayette.

Pours thick, dark, and hazy. Like clay-laden puddle water, only in a good way.

Smells... welp, it smells like grapefruit hops. Giant, sticky citrus nodes balanced with a bready malt that does a good job of bookending the aroma without detracting from the hop complexities.

Tastes as it smells, a barrage of citrus hops that would be overwhelming were it not for juuust the right amount of pleasantly dull, bready malt. It's a very big flavor, and it's pulled off quite well--there's no icky nodes, no tongue scum, no burniness. It's not quite complex enough to make an elite strong IPA, but it's damn close.

4.05/5  rDev -2.4%

grabbed a growler at sun king on friday and poured a deep amber to a dogfish head signature glass a day later. the brew poured with a finger and a half off-white head that left nice lacing after each sip.

strong earthy hops in the nose that lasts through the first few sips. sun king lists the brew as a west coast-style I.P.A with rich grapefruit characteristics from the three hops used to create it.

they're certainly on the mark, without question, i'm tasting grapefruit and citrus throughout. slightly bitter, but the bitterness fades a bit as the beer disappears from the glass.

very nice ipa and quite drinkable for 7.5abv and 77ibu.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last