Grapefruit Jungle IPA - Sun King Brewing Company

Grapefruit Jungle IPAGrapefruit Jungle IPA

Sun King Brewing Company visit their website
Indiana, United States

(Beer added by: robwestcott on 05-23-2010)

4.68/5  rDev +11.2%

Having this on tap at the local watering hole.

A: The brew shows up to the table as a dark red maybe redish orange in color. 1/2 inch wispy head and light lace on the glass.

S: seems to be a mishmash of citrus aromas and hops. I was hoping for a stronger grapefruit aroma but It smells good all the same.

T: This beer is fabulous. Grapefruit and orange peel are the two big things I get and it mixes really well with the bitterness and hops that are present. Not a hopknster or bitter bomb at all. I think I prefer it that way. It's just the right balance as to not over power the citrus.

M: medium body and really easy drinking.

O: I will be having this again in the future!

3.5/5  rDev -16.9%

3.5/5  rDev -16.9%

3.48/5  rDev -17.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Got a single can from behind the counter at my local beer store. Pretty stoked when I got it since they didn't get many. Drank it as fresh as possible the day after I purchased

Appearance: One of the best things about this beer–crystal clear copper with a finger of off-white head. Dark for an IPA, but beautiful.

Aroma: This is where I was disappointed. I am used to getting smacked in the face by hops when sniffing these rare IPAs. Not so here. Subtle fruit and citrus aromas with a bit of musty grain. Not terrible, but not what I was expecting from a $4/can rare seasonal IPA called Grapefruit Jungle.

Taste: Once again, not bag, but a bit underwhelming. I found this to be very balanced instead of super hop forward. Fruity and citrusy flavors balanced nicely by malt and a gentle bitterness at the end that sticks around.

Mouthfeel: Medium mouthfeel. Good carbonation level. Wish it was a bit more dry.

Overall: Like I said, not bad, but not what I was expecting for all the hype. I am coming to the conclusion that the majority of hard-to-find seasonal releases are genius marketing, not necessarily genius brewing. I would probably go to this beer quite a bit if it was $9.00 a six-pack and was easy to find. Probably won't be going out of my way for it in the future.

Grapefruit Jungle IPA from Sun King Brewing Company