Batch 111 Aka The Golden Slumber - Sun King Brewing Company

Batch 111 Aka The Golden SlumberBatch 111 Aka The Golden Slumber

Sun King Brewing Company visit their website
Indiana, United States

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  9.25% ABV

(Beer added by: robwestcott on 06-06-2010)
Reviews by salvo:
4.15/5  rDev -7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3

Arrived in a tulip with a quarter inch of head that dissipated rapidly, leaving little lacing. Beautiful cloudy/clear yellow to golden that clouded over as the glass began to sweat. The nose has distinct bananas, yeast, bread, and biscuit: complex and full of belgian wild flavor notes.

But the taste is all citrus. No pine at all, very little hoppiness, but a big citrus flavor, almost but not quite sour, with a wonderful wild yeast depth: none of the banana nose or biscuit malts come through on the taste. Lemon candy: not fresh lemon, but the mellow flavor of lemon candy or candied lemon-peel dominates. My mouth and my nose are enjoying two completely different experiences; two different beers. How did they do that?

Mouthfeel: rich, complex, bready, thick, full-bodied for a blonde; for anything it's a rich turbulent brew in the mouth. Excellent, but limited drinkability because of its alcohol content and heft.

Enjoyed this at Black Sparrow Pub, which continues to pour exceptional beers. albeit in limited quantities. Love to try one in bottle or can to compare.

4.45/5  rDev -0.2%

style: belgian golden strong ale

poured, from a growler, a murky dark gold with a 1/2 finger short-lasting head without lacing to a dogfish head signature glass on a hot day on the back porch. this one was shared with a friend a couple days after the beer's release. sun king notes that the beer was crafted with seven different belgian yeasts

immediate aroma of orange, peaches and a slight hint of banana and spices.

very sweet, yet not cloying. creamy and mellow from the first sip to the last. very low carbonation and while a glass and a half seemed like nowhere near enough given how much we liked this beer, the 9.25 abv caught up with me about 15 minutes later.

am hoping this one finds its way back into the rotation real soon.

4.65/5  rDev +4.3%

Poured from a growler into a pint glass.

Pours a hazy golden color> I poured somewhat slowly and managed to get a fingers worth of head, which didn't stay for long. As soon as I smelt this I was impressed, bananas, cloves, yeast and bready. I've either liked or really like most Sun King offerings I've had before, so maybe I'm a bit biased here, but one sip of this and I have a new favorite by them. Sweet yeast, bananas, hints of clove and citrus. This beer was excellent. Drinkability was very good. I split a growler with someone last night and was a little tired, then I found out today this beer is 9.25%, I honestly had no idea, neither did my girlfriend. Very good showing, I'd love to have this one again.

Batch 111 Aka The Golden Slumber from Sun King Brewing Company
- out of 100 based on 6 ratings.