Microbrew Invitational

Twisted SisterTwisted Sister

Sun King Brewing Company
Indiana, United States | website

Style: Berliner Weissbier

Twisted Sister shares the same recipe as our Big H Hefeweizen but is fermented with a different, unique yeast that imparts a distinct tart character to the beer.

IBU: 23

Added by robwestcott on 10-31-2010

Reviews: 2 | Ratings: 5
3.9/5  rDev +11.7%

They were very busy when I went to get my growler filled and so I didn't get a chance to ask them what, exactly, they put into this to make it so sour. You know, like what kind of lactobacillus they use. Because I'm not nearly a big enough beer geek to be able to tell just by tasting.

The reason I bring this up is because this is far and away the tartest, most citrusy Berliner I've ever had. It's also freshest, too, so that might account for the epic sourness, but it might also be that they just *loaded* this with souring bacteria.

You can't taste the wheat, and I'd honestly be surprised if they put any hops in here. It's just blankness and a loud, wet smack of citrus.

Like, you ever listen to loud, droning electronic music? If you spend a long enough time listening to very loud, simple notes, you'll begin to hear sounds that aren't really there. This doesn't count as an aural hallucination because it's a physical effect, instead of a mental one. It's the same basic deal, I think, if you stare at a rich, solid color. Patterns start kicking about near the side of your vision.

This is like the tasty version of those phenomena. It's impressive and enjoyable and even a little scary, but it's also a bit too much and I don't know if I want to go through it again.

4.17/5  rDev +19.5%

picked up at the brewery a couple days ago.

poured cold from the growler to a sun king shaped pint glass a murky honey orange with a super foamy big bubbled white head that dissipates in a few seconds leaving no lace.

super tart aroma of orange and lemon rind.

this one's not afraid to be tart and puckery - with tart definitely a better description than sour. super-tart, sweet lemonade, lemon rind, and mandarin oranges.

tart, smooth, well-bodied, highly carbonated.

drinkable - sure thing - no issue finishing a 32oz growler and probably a 64oz if you've got it.

i'm not a fan of this particular style, but this was a surprisingly approachable berliner weiss.

Twisted Sister from Sun King Brewing Company
- out of 100 based on 2 ratings.