Walking On The Sun - Sun King Brewing Company

No picture uploaded.

Sun King Brewing Company visit their website
Indiana, United States

Chile Beer |  5.30% ABV

Sunlight Cream Ale infused with habanero, cayenne, jalapeno and ghost peppers.

(Beer added by: wnh on 12-13-2010)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters

adamb0719

11-16-2011 21:56:02 | More by adamb0719
robwestcott

3.73/5  rDev -10.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

grabbed at the brewery 2 weeks ago, popping the growler tonight.

poured cold from the growler a slightly copper tinted sunlight gold to a sun king shaped pint glass with a nice 1/2 finger frothy short lasting white head with minimal retention.

subtle aroma of grain and sweet malt, nearly identical aroma as the sunlight cream ale.

spicy hot tang to the sides of the tongue, the roof of the mouth and all the way down the hatch. as advertised, its all about the hot peppers. very interesting.

smooth, creamy, spicy hot.

drinkable - hmm, yeah, but maybe a pint of two til the novelty wears off and your mouth is asking for a break from the heat.

Serving type: growler

12-31-2010 23:11:49 | More by robwestcott
alleykatking

Indiana

Got to try this one thanks to Lukafer. Here is the back story and review for your pleasure:

So last Saturday I am sitting at this dive club in South Bend waiting to figure out where my band (this old school rock/rockabilly/psychobilly sound) is going to fit in with the other 9 bands playing that night for a "Punk vs. Metal" show. In comes Luke from out of town since his band is also playing. We played and well had a good showing while playing. Anyways, Luke informs me of this growler his fiance picked up the day before at Sun King. It wasn't what she was looking for and went home to find this out first hand. Luckly me Luke brought it up with him for me to try. Then I find out it's a beer brewed with peppers. Sweetness! Well I think at least. So Luke gives us a hand loading up our equipment. It's raining outside and just downright cold. We get stuck having to stand outside waiting to figure out where the keys were so we could lock up the car. He tells me he has the growler in the car and goes and gets it. I unscrew the cap and there is a loud hiss...well good thing there's carbonation to it! haha. I didn't get the apperance of the beer at all since it was drank out of the growler. So in all fairness I will just give it average. I took a sniff out of the growler and I was kind of surprised. Some light grainy smell with a nice big hint of peppers. There is some earthy grassy hop hints in the background. Not bad at all and kind of inviting. I lifted the growler to my lips and wondered how Luke and I went from drinking shitty 40's or PBR out in parking lots at punk shows to now be sneaking in Coffee Bender or now this growler. So I take a nice sized drink at first. Not bad..some light grainy tastes with a light bready malt. Some light grassy hops and as soon as the liquid hit the back of the mouth the peppers kicked in high gear. There was a nice big heat that burned in the throat and some light stale hops are added into the mix for good measure. After the inital first shock of this beer I took another drink before passing it off to Luke. The mouthfeel was light. Carbonation was a little on the light side than what I think it should have been which was understandable. Lots of light pale malts and peppers everywhere on the palate and aftertaste. The palate is lightly dried from the alcohol. The backend of the mouth and throat had some pepper burn to it in a good way. Flavors were pretty well balanced I thought overall and it tasted crisp and clean. Luke and I kept passing this growler to each other as the rain was pouring down and we were getting soaked. I had no problem drinking it and wish actually that I had more. I was pretty stoked that he brought this up for me to try. His band played later that night and I forgot how much I dig them. It's been awhile since they played so that was my excuse. Later that same night we were spotted outside in the rain drinking some Short's PB&J Stout. How punk rock is that?

Serving type: growler

12-15-2010 06:35:24 | More by alleykatking
wnh

Missouri

3.9/5  rDev -6%

This is a hot-pepper-infused version of the brewery's Sunlight Cream Ale. Sampled 12/11/2010 at the brewery.

Color is bright golden-straw, clear, with a frothy white head.

Quite mild on the nose, subtle grains, a slightly spicy vegetal hint. A little grassy. Eh.

On the palate it's another story. Bright and vegetal and spicy. A bit of a burn. I don't know that I can taste the cream ale underneath, but I also don't know that there's any need to. Very different than chile beers made with dried peppers. Apparently the cream ale is filtered through a container with a maceration of ghost, habanero, and one other hot pepper before being kegged; the flavor certainly shows the freshness of the peppers. Well worth a try.

12-13-2010 21:39:36 | More by wnh
Walking On The Sun from Sun King Brewing Company
- out of 100 based on 6 ratings.