Ring Of Dingle Irish Stout - Sun King Brewing Company

Sun King Brewing Company visit their website
Indiana, United States

Irish Dry Stout |  7.10% ABV

Availability: Spring

Named for a road in Ireland, Ring of Dingle is dark in color, light of body, rich and roasty with a creamy head. Dingle is 7.1% A.B.V., 27 I.B.U.

(Beer added by: aasher on 02-23-2011)
3.8/5  rDev +3.3%

3.85/5  rDev +4.6%

Thanks, Trent, for the 16 ounce can!

It pours black with a tan head of foam. A pretty big head of foam that shrinks to a fine layer.

Plenty of fine roasted malt in the nose though i do get some aroma that I usually associate with a Milk Stout. And yes, there's some hoppy bitterness here too.

The taste is so roasty and nice. I get some dark and milk chocolate notes and the bitterness is on the light side. Dry? Yes, but not as dry as others of the style that I've had. That's not a knock on ROD. I quite enjoy it.

Medium bodied, a light level of carbonation, the smoothness is in a bit of an overkill stage.

Yep, this is a fine Dry Stout. I'd say that if the carbo was bumped up a little, I'd like it even more.

4.25/5  rDev +15.5%

3.6/5  rDev -2.2%

16 ounce can. Served in a nonic pint glass, the beer pours dark brown/black with about a half inch tan head. Head retention and lacing are both decent enough. Aroma is nice but very light, it smells like roasted malt, bittersweet chocolate and coffee. The brew tastes like roasted malt, coffee, burnt/charred malt, and some dark chocolate and earthiness. Mouthfeel/body is medium, it's a bit creamy and has medium/high carbonation. I thought this was a good tasting brew, although the weak aroma didn't exactly impress me. It's worth trying. $3.99 for a single can.

3.5/5  rDev -4.9%

look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Can poured into Chimay chalice.

A: Stoutly brown. Impossible to see through. Tan head. Lacing throughout as the head dissipates into a velvet sheen. Looks great!

S: Coffee. Burnt bologna. (Yeah. I said it. I keep wondering where the mustard is. May have just been a tad off on this batch.) Vanilla and roast toffee can be found as well.

T: Toasted and roasted. Heavy malt and smoke flavors. Hops absent. Sweet. Smoke takes some of sweetness away, but it sweeps back in.

M: Carbonation helps to move flavor. Lots of it. Medium bodied.

O: Disappointed. Had many friends tell me I had to bring this back from my trip back home to Indy. Not commensurate with what I have come to enjoy about Sun King. Tasty brew to some, but for me this ends with an "ehhhh... if you aren't going to drink it..." sort of feel. I think the beer is missing something... just cannot put my finger on it. I think whatever this recipe is should be experimented with. Some interesting ingredients like white peppercorns (or if this was the base for a chili pepper beer) would be really exciting.

3.25/5  rDev -11.7%