Wee Muckle - Sun King Brewing Company

Wee MuckleWee Muckle

Sun King Brewing Company visit their website
Indiana, United States

Scotch Ale / Wee Heavy |  8.80% ABV

(Beer added by: robwestcott on 05-17-2011)

jeremiahoden, Oct 31, 2014

doldham, May 26, 2014

Stinger80OH, May 15, 2014

bkonk10, May 09, 2014
3.99/5  rDev -0.5%

I got a can of Sun King Brewing Company's Wee Muckle that Another6pack hooked me up with, thanks a lot. I'm a fan of Wee Heavys and Scotch Ales and I'm interested to see how this one stacks up, so lets see how it goes. Couldn't decode the canning date. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a snifter.

A- The can looks really nice, it's got a real nice design to it and I think it's pretty eye catching. It poured a nice dark mahogany color that took on more of a ruby and crimson hue when held to the light with a fingers worth of tan head that died down to a thin ring that eventually faded away and it left a little bit of spotty lacing behind. This was a pretty nice looking beer, but I wish it had a little more head and lacing.

S- The aroma starts off with a lower amount high sweetness with some sweet malt and caramel malt like aromas being the first to show up and they are followed by a nice dark fruit aroma with a light black cherry like aroma coming through. Up next comes some malt aromas with some grainy, bready and lightly roasted malt aromas with some slightly doughy yeast in the background with a noticeable smokey aroma showing up along with a light alcohol aromas. The aroma was pretty nice, it was true to style and the light smokey aspect was a nice touch.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma and it starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness that was almost on the border of being highly sweet and it's followed by the malts being the first to show up and they impart all those malty aspects that I got in the aroma, but they seem to be a little bit light and the caramel malt aspect seems to stick out the most. Up next comes that same dark fruit aspect with some nice raisin and black cherry like flavors coming through along with a pretty light smokey aspect. On the finish there was a lighter amount of alcohol that wasn't warming at all and it had pretty much no bitterness with a caramel malt, dark fruit and lightly smokey aftertaste. This was a pretty nice tasting Wee Heavy, but I wish the malts showed up as much as they did in the aroma.

M- Pretty smooth, crisp, a little rich, slightly sticky, medium bodied with a slightly higher higher amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel was pretty nice, but I wish it was a little thicker with a little less carbonation.

Overall I thought this was a pretty nice beer and a above average example of the style and it had most of the aspects that I look for in the style, I thought the dark fruit aspect was pretty nice and I thought the light smokey aspect showed up just enough and it added to the complexity of this beer. This beer had good drinkability, it was smooth, crisp, a little rich, slightly sticky, not too filing, and the taste did a nice job at holding my attention, this was pretty smooth for the style and with the lighter body it makes it even more drinkable, I could probably drink a couple of these, but I think that would be my limit. What I liked the most about this beer was the dark fruit aspect and the light smokey aspect, they were both pretty good. What I liked the least about this beer was the mouthfeel, If it was a little thicker and less carbonated it would be truer to style, but that might hurt the drinkability a little. I would buy this beer if I saw it, I'm not sure I would buy a whole four pack, but I might think about it and I would recommend giving this a try if you like the style. This beer made for a pretty nice first impression for Sun King and I am for sure interested in checking out more of their beers. Dirty Bastard is still my favorite of the style, but this beer is still pretty nice, and if I couldn't get a Dirty Bastard I wouldn't mind drinking this as a substitute. Nice work guys, this was a very solid Wee Heavy, keep up the good work.

StoutHunter, Mar 11, 2014