1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.

Wee Muckle - Sun King Brewing Company

Wee MuckleWee Muckle

Sun King Brewing Company visit their website
Indiana, United States

Scotch Ale / Wee Heavy |  8.80% ABV

(Beer added by: robwestcott on 05-17-2011)
3.93/5  rDev -2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours with a pretty good amount of carbonation. Pretty big head that faded out for me. Light khaki color head, dark auburn beer. A dark brown until you hold it up to the light to see the red come through.

Smells of dark fruit, molasses, raisins, bread, cherries and sugar. Some earthy hops as it warms.

Taste is mostly bready at first, then quickly fruity with a lot of the cherries and molasses. Finishes fairly dry with the earthy hops poking through. Long finish.

Mouthfeel is nice and full. Somewhat syrupy, but quickly dries out, as I've mentioned. Leaves the mouth watering for more in the finish. I feel like it could use a bit more carbonation, perhaps.

Overall a nice wee heavy. Complex and pretty balanced.

AaronHomoya, May 02, 2012
3.53/5  rDev -12%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to raveskdr for bringing this can over the other night. Served in a Mikasa tulip.

Pours a clear brown color with a small tan head that diminishes somewhat quickly, leaving behind an average amount of lacing as it falls to a collar.

The nose has some nice toasted bread notes along with brown sugar and caramel. There's a touch of maple coming through as it warms and heading into the flavor. Moderate sweetness and a light bitterness coming off of a medium body that's slightly boozy.

Malt bomb here, though fairly well done and appropriate for the style with enough bitterness to carry it through. Perhaps a bit too boozy for the alcohol volume, but otherwise fairly nice.

Thorpe429, Apr 21, 2012
3.75/5  rDev -6.5%

illestkilla, Apr 21, 2012

CarterSeaton, Apr 15, 2012
Photo of
3.75/5  rDev -6.5%

You rated this beer. Add a review.

, Apr 14, 2012
3.68/5  rDev -8.2%

16 oz can into a thistle glass.

Pours a deep clear garnet in the glass, with a finger of rich light tan head. This maintains a smooth foaminess, leaving back a robust cascade of moderate spotty lacing. The aroma smells roast and sweet, with brunt sugars (definitely brown sugar), dark fruit, and a bit of stiff spicy warmth all making an impression here.

The taste has a nice density to it, with caramelized sugars, dark fruit (cherry is standing out), and a burnt and roasty character that spreads out across the back. Sweet and spicy alcohol kisses the edges and finish on this. The mouthfeel is fuller bodied, with a firm prickly feel on the tongue that then explodes up and out, filling the mouth with a sharp creaminess. The alcohol is generally pretty well hid for such a big ABV, mostly just adding some extra sweetness and spice to the flavors.

While I appreciated the fullness and power to the flavors here, this just didn’t come off like a Scotch Ale to me. The sweetness and dark fruit was there but any smoky peat flavors that you would usually associate with the style just weren’t. For the most part though, this is still an enjoyable enough sipper. I just don’t think it’s really worth the $4.00+ per can that a 4-pack of this ended up costing.

Kegatron, Apr 12, 2012

zrab11, Apr 11, 2012
3.65/5  rDev -9%

Can (2012)

Acquired via trade
Thanks, barkingelectron!

Murky dark brown and ruby with a moderately sized light brown head. Surprisingly, this leaves almost no stick down the glass.

The aroma is a wonderful combination of plum and raisin, some caramel, and bread.

The flavor is a pleasant combination of caramel and toffee, bread, some plum and raisin, and a bit of alcohol bite.

Medium bodied with low to moderate carbonation.

A nice example of the style, though there's a touch of alcohol presence which bring this one down a notch.

ehammond1, Apr 07, 2012

SalukiAlum, Mar 30, 2012
4.75/5  rDev +18.5%

MSandahl23, Mar 29, 2012

JDizzle, Mar 29, 2012

Ultraman9000, Mar 27, 2012

A: Pours a murky brown copper penny color with a light copper head. After the foam settled, this was actually pretty clear after it settles.

S: Aroma of rich caramel, sweet malt and a light bit of booze

T: This starts reaking of scotch ale with the aroma, but is soon less than reaking of scotch ale flavors, more or less a very good brown ale with a nice caramelized malt sugar and caramel flavor. These are great flavors to me and I highly am enjoying these flavors but for a Scotch ale I just don't think it is top notch. As this warmed a little, I picked up some of that "off" cidery flavor I have picked up un a recent homebrew batch. Again, I could probably make this a regular but it is more of a nicely hopped brown ale with a scotch ale presence.

M: Medium body with a light carbonation.

O: This beer is highly enjoyable and I like it a lot , but for a scotch ale, it falls just short of the goal line. highly drinkable and sessionable, but not quite as heavy on the scotch flavors as I like them. I saw the prior reviewer rated this against Old Chub. This is better than Old Chub IMO, but not with the scotch yeast Kick that I really enjoy.

alpinebryant, Mar 11, 2012
3.85/5  rDev -4%

Gift from a generous BA while visiting the Hill Farmstead. Thanks, John!

A: Dark brown body, ruby highlights. Thinnish white head, dissipates quickly.

S: Nose is rich, grainy malt. Whiff of alcohol.

F: Flavor is sweet, rich dark malt. Booze is evident, which I don't mind in a 8.8% wee heavy.

M: Mouthfeel is slick and smooth, slightly astringent. I seem to find that with a lot of Scotch Ales, maybe it's just me.

O: Overall it's very good stuff. All of the right flavors and none of the wrong ones. Drinkability is high for the ABV, but the warming is noticeable.

Stacks up well next to Old Chub, another favorite of this style. Distinctly less sweetness than the Chub, however, and that's a bit of a good thing.

ghostwalker, Mar 06, 2012

Redglimmer, Mar 04, 2012
3.93/5  rDev -2%

I'm looking forward to popping the top on another Sun King sent my way from Robwestcott, to whom I am grateful. Every beer I've tried from this brewery has been damn good so far, I have similar hopes for this one. I see why he likes them!

A casual pour into my trusty New Belgium globe reveals a russet brown brew with a tinge of ruby on the edges when the light hits it right. A thin beige head quickly retreats to a ring around the rim of the glass with a cluster of large bubbles stranded in the middle of the glass.

Aroma is of malt and burnt sugars. There's no hops jumping out, only dark and sweet with a bit of nuttiness. Dark fruit is there too, but not like you would think of in a classic dubbel or quad. Here those fruits have been cooked down to where they are slightly burnt and slightly acrid. In the end, you feel a bit of that tell tale tingle of an increased ABV in the nose. Leaves me very curious.

The taste is reflective of the nose. Rich malt sweetness, with those burnt flavors of toffee/caramel mixed in. Other reviews mention a cherry note that I'm having a hard time sensing. Like I mentioned in the aroma, the fruit I get is what I would imagine burnt raisins to be like. A odd descriptor I know, but I don't mean it as a negative. It fits and its a pleasant beer to sip. Again, a sense of alcohol on the exhale through my nose.

Carbonation is low. My glass is completely void of any carb at this point and looks more like a dark whiskey in my glass. I don't believe I would want this to be bubbly by any means, but I'd prefer a bit more action. A medium bodied mouth feel turns that around though.

Overall, I was not let down by this beer. I normally turn to brown ales or stouts for my malt fix and this beer reminds me that the rich, sweet, burnt flavor of a great scotch ale scratches that itch just as well. Bravo to Sun King and Rob for sharing! One of these days, I'll make the trip over and pay both of you a visit.

LusciousJackson, Mar 04, 2012
4.33/5  rDev +8%

A: serious brown tone with a hint of deep red in the body. Nice off white head. Looks like a tasty brew.

S: malts, caramel and toffee. None of which are jumping out at you.

T: How about some flavor! Rich, malty, sweet and right on the boarder of too much. Caramel and a bite of alcohol right before the finish. Not your light Scottish Ale. One I will continue to drink every chance I get.

M: Big full body and a bit creamy as well.

Overall: What a beer! Never gotten into the Scotch Ales before as the first couple I had stunted my growth in this area. But Wee Muckle has given me new found optimism! Terrific beer! Got a little bite to it, but a smooth bite it is

Casedogg43, Mar 02, 2012

MordorMongo, Feb 25, 2012
4.13/5  rDev +3%

So I only bought this because the kid at an Indy liquor store told me this was barrel aged... After trying it, I think he was wrong-- but I don't regret the purchase.

Caramel and Vienna malt with a nice boozy bite on the finish. Really pretty tasty.

The booziness on the back end helps to dry it out, which I find to be a big plus.

Nice reddish brown color. Small head. Weak lacing, decent retention.

Overall-- not too bad Sunking! This may just be my top beer from this brewer.

AleWatcher, Feb 22, 2012

duels, Feb 18, 2012
4.2/5  rDev +4.7%

Thanks to JAYBLACK for this one

Poured from a 16 oz. can into a DFH shaped pint glass.

This beer pours a deep mahogany color with a small amount of ruby highlights, and a generous amount of off white head that slowly recedes into a small amount of lacing.

The aroma is big and malty. The nose comprised of bready & caramel malts, brown sugar, toffee, and a bit of molasses. No real hop presence to speak of

The flavor is big and full, with a boozy hotness being prominantly featured. The malt profile is both bready and sweet; with toasty malts, brown sugar, caramel, and toffee featured prominantly. To a lesser degree chocolate, and just a hint of molasses. The hops are almost an afterthought, just enough to make their presence known, but not enough to distract from the malt profile. Full bodied, moderately carbonated. Very nice

All in all this is a really good beer, I believe that I heard that this is the same grain bill as Wee Mac, but doubled. Very nice beer.

CBlack85, Feb 15, 2012
4.1/5  rDev +2.2%

grabbed at the brewery a few weeks ago and poured cold from the growler tonight to a sun king shaped pint a nearly opaque rich, mahogany brown with a 1/2 finger, short lasting tan head leaving little to no lace.

aroma of toffee, burnt caramel and butter.

candied almonds, roasted malts, brown sugars, and dark cherries(?)

medium bodied, medium carbonation, creamy smooth and super sweet.

overall: a great wee heavy, big malts, big sweet.

robwestcott, Feb 14, 2012
3.63/5  rDev -9.5%

Served in a nonic pint...

A: Pours a very dark ruby copper. A finger of cream colored head emerges and settles to a quarter finger. Good lacing on the glass with very tight beading. Looks good.

S: Lots of caramel, sweet biscuity malt, and some dark fruit. Just a hint of citrus hops on the very finish.

T: Loads of caramel, some burnt biscuit, hints of vanilla and tobacco. A little boozy on the finish, which is distracting. Flavor profile is spot on though and very creamy. Loses points for a hot finish, however.

M: Full bodied, thick and creamy. Smooth throughout except for the finish, which is just a little bit hot. What comes before the finish, though, is very well done.

O: Wee Muckle is a solid Scotch Ale that manages to be creamy and fruity and provide loads of flavor. The finish gets a little thin and hot...probably the biggest problem with a beer that otherwise would have gotten much higher marks from me. At $18 per 4pk, I can unequivocally state that this beer is nowhere near worth the price of admission. If you see it on tap, though, I wouldn't hesitate to snag a pint.

siege06nd, Feb 13, 2012