The Deuce - Sun King Brewing Company

good

Sun King Brewing Company visit their website
Indiana, United States

American Brown Ale |  7.00% ABV

(Beer added by: TwelveOunces on 10-29-2012)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
4.25/5  rDev +15.5%

jeremiahoden, Oct 05, 2014

bigbluebeerguy, Jul 01, 2014
3.45/5  rDev -6.3%

As the 1,000th and a Deuce CANQuest (TM) review, my utmost thanks goes out to Anther6Pack! What The Deuce is this?!? I was told deuces are wild and now I am handed a Subpoena Duces Tecum! I am riding the first deuce-and-a-half into town to get this resolved! "Oof! Did you get served?!?!" I am almost always served as I rarely get cut off, except when I am riding my 2003 Harley-Davidson Softail Deuce.

Enough with the jokes! I have a screw-top CAN of beer to review!

From the CAN: "A CANlaboration by Sun King Brewery [&] Oskar Blues Brewery"; "Pack It In, Pack It Out"; "Made Possible by Ball[,] cask.com[,] Silgan".

First off, let me reiterate that this is NOT the medium from which to CANduct an aggro pour! On a previous CANBottle review, I splashed beer into my keyboard and this time, I got a huge gush that could barely be CANtrolled, causing the loss of ~ 2 fluid ounces. While I rushed around to clean up the mess and overflow, it created two dense, rocky fingers of deep-tan head that eventually collapsed inwards to look like a fallen souffle. Color was a deep-brown with minimal light penetration, allowing me to see ruby/garnet highlights (SRM = > 34, < 44). Nose had a slightly sour quality, something that I have been noticing in Brown Ales lately, along with the usual chocolate malt sweetness. Mouthfeel was full, creamy, really. It tasted like a dark chocolate milkshake, if anyone ever made such a thing. The sour smell translated to a deeply smoky flavor in the mouth and on the tongue, followed by a very chocolaty taste. The finish was slightly charcoal, making it more dry than I am used to in the style. It was still chocolaty, but it had a burnt, overcooked quality that would cause me to give it a pass on a second go-'round of The Deuces.

woodychandler, Feb 05, 2014

4.5/5  rDev +22.3%

indybearsfan, Jan 01, 2013

mrandypandy, Dec 13, 2012
4.03/5  rDev +9.5%

A canned collaboration between Sun King and Oskar Blues breweries. This is a kinda strange beer - it's a really hoppy brown ale. Appearance is brown, of course, with somewhat minimal head. Nothing special here. The aroma starts to get interesting, though.

The strong citrus, pine hoppiness is a surprise after looking at a brown ale. It's really a pronounced hop aroma, with little else. I like it. The taste follows with a hop dominated flavor, though it's supported with nice brown malt that makes it come together a little like an IPA, except with brown malt instead of caramel. It's a fairly unique combination of flavors that works for the most part.

I don't know if I would go for this style all the time, but I certainly have enjoyed it as a change of pace so far.

AaronHomoya, Dec 01, 2012

texasdrugaddict, Dec 01, 2012

Skye1024, Nov 22, 2012

cosmonick, Nov 21, 2012

bryang002, Nov 13, 2012
3.18/5  rDev -13.6%

Picked up a single for $5.99 because I didn't want a 4 pack at $20. Kind of pricy for the contents.

Pours dark brown. Faint off-white head and little lacing.

Big hop aroma from this one. Pine and citrus fruits. A little chocolate malt, but very hop forward.

Big bitterness up front. Orange, lemon and pine hop flavors along with a little roasted malt and nutty bread. Kind of weird as the mellow brown malt body clashes a bit with the intense hoppiness and this is coming from a hophead.

Medium to light bodied. At times was a bit watery. Lots of carbonation makes a crisp finish.

Interesting, but didn't do much for me. Tasted more like someone dumped a bunch of hops in a brown ale than any cohesive effort. Also the price point even for SK offerings is much too high.

jmarsh123, Nov 13, 2012