The Deuce - Sun King Brewing Company

Sun King Brewing Company visit their website
Indiana, United States

American Brown Ale |  7.00% ABV

Beer added by: TwelveOunces on 10-29-2012

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 31 | Reviews: 5
4.25/5  rDev +15.5%

3.49/5  rDev -5.2%

As the 1,000th and a Deuce CANQuest (TM) review, my utmost thanks goes out to Anther6Pack! What The Deuce is this?!? I was told deuces are wild and now I am handed a Subpoena Duces Tecum! I am riding the first deuce-and-a-half into town to get this resolved! "Oof! Did you get served?!?!" I am almost always served as I rarely get cut off, except when I am riding my 2003 Harley-Davidson Softail Deuce.

Enough with the jokes! I have a screw-top CAN of beer to review!

From the CAN: "A CANlaboration by Sun King Brewery [&] Oskar Blues Brewery"; "Pack It In, Pack It Out"; "Made Possible by Ball[,] cask.com[,] Silgan".

First off, let me reiterate that this is NOT the medium from which to CANduct an aggro pour! On a previous CANBottle review, I splashed beer into my keyboard and this time, I got a huge gush that could barely be CANtrolled, causing the loss of ~ 2 fluid ounces. While I rushed around to clean up the mess and overflow, it created two dense, rocky fingers of deep-tan head that eventually collapsed inwards to look like a fallen souffle. Color was a deep-brown with minimal light penetration, allowing me to see ruby/garnet highlights (SRM = > 34, < 44). Nose had a slightly sour quality, something that I have been noticing in Brown Ales lately, along with the usual chocolate malt sweetness. Mouthfeel was full, creamy, really. It tasted like a dark chocolate milkshake, if anyone ever made such a thing. The sour smell translated to a deeply smoky flavor in the mouth and on the tongue, followed by a very chocolaty taste. The finish was slightly charcoal, making it more dry than I am used to in the style. It was still chocolaty, but it had a burnt, overcooked quality that would cause me to give it a pass on a second go-'round of The Deuces.

4.75/5  rDev +29.1%

4.25/5  rDev +15.5%

4.75/5  rDev +29.1%

4.5/5  rDev +22.3%

4.04/5  rDev +9.8%

A canned collaboration between Sun King and Oskar Blues breweries. This is a kinda strange beer - it's a really hoppy brown ale. Appearance is brown, of course, with somewhat minimal head. Nothing special here. The aroma starts to get interesting, though.

The strong citrus, pine hoppiness is a surprise after looking at a brown ale. It's really a pronounced hop aroma, with little else. I like it. The taste follows with a hop dominated flavor, though it's supported with nice brown malt that makes it come together a little like an IPA, except with brown malt instead of caramel. It's a fairly unique combination of flavors that works for the most part.

I don't know if I would go for this style all the time, but I certainly have enjoyed it as a change of pace so far.

3.2/5  rDev -13%

Picked up a single for $5.99 because I didn't want a 4 pack at $20. Kind of pricy for the contents.

Pours dark brown. Faint off-white head and little lacing.

Big hop aroma from this one. Pine and citrus fruits. A little chocolate malt, but very hop forward.

Big bitterness up front. Orange, lemon and pine hop flavors along with a little roasted malt and nutty bread. Kind of weird as the mellow brown malt body clashes a bit with the intense hoppiness and this is coming from a hophead.

Medium to light bodied. At times was a bit watery. Lots of carbonation makes a crisp finish.

Interesting, but didn't do much for me. Tasted more like someone dumped a bunch of hops in a brown ale than any cohesive effort. Also the price point even for SK offerings is much too high.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
The Deuce from Sun King Brewing Company