Afternoon Delight - Sun King Brewing Company

Sun King Brewing Company visit their website
Indiana, United States

Doppelbock |  8.00% ABV

Beer added by: MasterSki on 08-26-2013

German-style Bock aged in a Pappy van Winkle bourbon barrel.
to view more.
Ratings: 64 | Reviews: 3
4.46/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

On tap at Apex. Very unique spicy caramel and oak nose. Same with the taste along with some coconut and light bourbon. A bit thin on the mouthfeel but otherwise awesome.

3.44/5  rDev -20.2%

This one pours a slightly amber brown with minimal head. The beer is slick in the glass and slightly coats from the barrel I can assume. The smell is huge bourbon. It smells like a glass of bourbon. I pick up nothing else but booze. The taste is more of the same. You better really like bourbon. It's not necessarily hot like the nose suggests, but I'm only getting booze. It's very one note. The body is appropriate to style but does not help the beer in this instance. I was very excited to try this, but it was not for me. A few others at the bottle share enjoyed the booziness of it more than I.

4.71/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Seeing as how all of the Pappy Van Winkle under the Sun got stolen, that fact makes this beer all the more amazing and special.

The aroma is fantastic. You have to realize that you're smelling a dopplebock base beer and not a stout, and once you do that it makes it easier to appreciate. The lager yeast is definitely apparent, but the bourbon takes center stage. Molasses, vanilla, oak, bourbon and light dark fruit make this beer an absolute treat to smell. I can't get enough.

Flavor is the same. Again, realize it's not a bourbon stout and it makes it a one of a kind experience. So much different from anything else I have ever had. Honestly, this beer was delicious and I had no problem drinking the entire can myself. Same exact characteristics as the nose, but with a little more caramel and brown sugar present on the palate.

For a beer that took home gold at GABF, it lived up to hype and was DEFINTIELY worth trading to acquire. Thank god I have another can to drink!

to view more.