A Tiny Beautiful Something - Maine Beer Company

Maine Beer Company visit their website
Maine, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.50% ABV

Beer added by: RKing44 on 02-18-2014

A tiny beautiful something showcases a new hop variety, El Dorado. We started playing around with this hop last year. We brewed a pilot batch with this hop exclusively and one with it blended with some of our other favorite Northwest varieties. In the end, we decided that the El Dorado had such a unique and interesting character on its own, so we decided to brew it as a “single hop” pale ale. The aroma and flavor offer intense candied orange and citrus zest. A touch of flaked oats provide a rounded, silky mouthfeel. And like our other hoppy offerings, tiny was brewed to finish dry and clean.
to view more.
Ratings: 706 | Reviews: 93
4.17/5  rDev +4.8%

Look - Gorgeous. Pour carefully, because the white colored head is abundant, even with a slow pour.

Smell - My nose is a little stuffed up right now, but I get mild whiffs of sugarcane, wheat and hops.

Taste - Like most pale ale's, this one is quite basic. It really holds the same taste from sip to swallow.

Feel - Smooth and subtle.

Overall- Smoothness is the first property I noticed here. I could drink this for days, it's so glorious, one of my favorite APA's of all time.

4.24/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

A citrus heavy pale ale, with a solid orange/satsuma/clementine feel to it. Looks strikingly golden/orange in color. Not overwhelmingly hoppy but a nice clean sipper.

4.41/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Awesome single hop pale. El Dorado hops give a nice citrus feel and smell. I'd love for MBC to drop a single hop IPA with this hop variety.

3.67/5  rDev -7.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Pours a beautiful bright orange with puffy white head and nice lacing throughout. Light bready aroma with notes of lavender, hints of apricot and grapefruit. Clean hop notes that with a rather simple flavor profile, bready, with little bitterness. Very light body, very simple one note pale ale overall.

2.9/5  rDev -27.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

This is nothing special. It's decent, but buying to rave over.

3.55/5  rDev -10.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Brief write-up. This is an amazingly delicate pale ale, though a little lacking in pop. I get nice notes of apricot, peach, and tangerines though. The malt backbone is prevalent without being sweet, leading to great drinkability. It's not one of MBC's better offerings, but that's only due to their consistently high quality. Probably won't buy again, because of the high price.

3.55/5: a tiny beautiful delicate drinker

3.44/5  rDev -13.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Wow, incredibly underwhelmed with the smell and taste here, especially after such a beautiful pour. Hoping this is just a bad batch or something. Won't be buying again at $9 a bottle. Bottled 4/07/15 exactly one month old.

4.84/5  rDev +21.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Man, what a refreshing beer on a warm, spring day. Grilling with a growler of this great ale was just about perfect. So clean, just like the other Maine Beer Company brews I have had the pleasure of tasting.

2.87/5  rDev -27.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

Bottled April 7th, enjoyed April 25th

A - Pear wheat body with a touch of orange. Really nice paper white head pours two fingers high with nice retention and fantastic lace.

S - Nose isn't great. Wet bread, spinach, and cilantro. Unpleasantly musky for the style.

T - Earthy with wet grass, yeast, and dried leaves. Light coriander spice. Tastes unfinished to me.

M - Pleasantly light body with par carbonation.

O - I really like Maine Beer and was really excited for this, but was unfortunately disappointed. The flavors felt dull and damp, and the net effect wasn't very appealing.

3.83/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Overall I really liked this beer. However, it is a really odd and interesting pale. Juicy as all get out, which is usually a good thing but it comes off as so different. I don't know what to make of it. Like Watered down orange juice or something. I'll need another one to write a better review . . . Or Another One would be nice too, maybe better.

3.96/5  rDev -0.5%

This beer was simple and balanced, as everything that Maine beer company does. There is no doubt that the orange notes come through but it almost feels like an orange popsicle. I didn't get as much of the oatmeal mouth feel as I was expecting. But I have to say, Maine Beer always makes a very balanced and delicious pale ale. Don't be confused, this is not an IPA. Try this while you can and experience the new and intriguing "El Dorado" hop.

3.82/5  rDev -4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Crisp finish, really good and clean beer

4.34/5  rDev +9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: pours a lively head that dissipates slowly. Light yellow-orange with impressive clarity.
S: citrus, sweet mango, bread
T: bready malts, light tropical fruit, honey
M: silky soft with a dry finish, excellent.
O: the light bread and honey malt notes combine well with the fruit of the El dorado hops. Great beer.

4.63/5  rDev +16.3%
look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Light floral notes and citrus are prevalent in the aroma. Straw in color with beautiful off white pillow cap that floats for a while. Traces of lacing gently glide down the edge of the glass. Flavor profile is soft and for me a bit lacking. Picking up on some citrus, pine, and maybe hoppy resin. Pretty smooth and not too bitter with a pleasant aftertaste. In summary I would of said this was near perfect except I felt there was a lack of taste. Overall another awesome brew from Maine Beer.

3.96/5  rDev -0.5%

Sampling a cellar temp bottle poured into a snifter. The beer pours a copper hue and there is just the slightest amount of haze suspended in my glass. A frothy, fluffy eggshell white head rests on the surface and is about 2 cm dense. The foam is fading slowly leaving some windowpane lattice and large pockmarked craters on the surface.
Aroma is rich with citrus notes, grapefruit and orange peel is dominant. Some floral notes like clover mixed in the nose as well. Nice nose, but very mild.
First sip reveals a light and crisp body with fine tingly carbonation. Flavor is brief grainy malt up front and rolls through some orange peel, grapefruit, and a bit of aspirin astringency on the finish. The finish is dry and lingers on my palate, making me thirsty for another sip. Booze is well hidden and the beer drinks very easy and quickly from my glass.
Simple, straight forward and well made. Easy to appreciate this beer.

2.07/5  rDev -48%

Had this on tap at the Sunset in Boston. Not sure if the keg was old but I thought this was the worst beer I've ever had by MBC

3.98/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Received this one from a trade. I have not had many Maine beers but I thought the John Muir quote on the back was pretty cool. I am not sure if that is common or not with Maine beers. Anyway, just an observation.

Appearance: Pretty light straw yellow, soapy head that lingers through the pour.

Aroma: Not a lot here really, its not a very pungent aroma, some light citrus, orange or tangerine zest going on in there. Some mild floral notes but not really intense. I have not had another beer that is exclusively El Dorado, so maybe that is a characteristic?

Taste: Its not a very bitter beer, pretty clean as advertised, and I could see this one being very sessionable. I had this one with dinner and maybe the flavors from the pizza I ate overwhelmed the subtle notes in this pale ale, but Its really not as intense as I would prefer out of the style.

Overall: Not a bad beer by any stretch but its not as potent as I tend to like my beers. I guess I might be suffering from palate fatigue from all the other intense beers I have drank lately? If you find this one definitely seek it out and i am very appreciative of this nice offering in trade!

4.05/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

2015-01-11
16.9oz bottle poured into a pint glass. Bottle code is 112514 06. I hope that is the bottled on date, not the best by date. My in laws flew this in from Chicago.

Pours slightly hazy golden with a respectable head that fades slowly. Medium carbonation. Smell is bright, juicy, fruity. Maybe a little pineapple. Very pleasant.

Taste is straw (which I kind of expect from pale ales), strong bitter flavor which I'm struggling to describe. It's a little pine, a little hop oil, and a little soap. Not a terrific combination, but refreshing and easy to drink.

Mouthfeel is dry, light, crisp. Overall, good pale ale. I've been happy with every Maine beer I've tried.

4.75/5  rDev +19.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Great beer in my opioion. but i got an off taste as it warmed up which is why im not giving it a full 5 starts.

bottled on 11/25. Wonder if anyone else got an off taste from this batch

4.86/5  rDev +22.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

I'm not very active here on BA, but I've been a user for a while and I've never felt compelled to really participate until now. For some reason this beer blew my mind. I had it in a bottle at Cecil in NYC. The name immediately became apparent after the first sip. The fleeting blossoming of hops somewhere in the middle just took my breath away and left me dying for more. Perfectly clean finish as well. Also, after sipping for a while it didn't lose any of that character.Some very good pales and ipas kinda lose their charm after a few sips, in my opinion.
I gladly ordered another $14 bottle, and would not hesitate to do so again if I come across it in the future. This was my first introduction to Maine Beer Co. and I'm looking forward to trying their other offerings!
Also will be keeping an eye out for these el Dorado hops.

Overall, the best beer drinking experience I've had in a while, and this is while sitting in the airport returning from visits to de cam and cantillion in Belgium.

-wy

4.19/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Orange zest and mint? Cool combo

2.5/5  rDev -37.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Not good - way too light.

3.98/5  rDev 0%

A: Pours a clear light to medium golden yellow in color with moderate amounts of active visible carbonation rinsing from the bottom of the glass and some faint amber + copper highlights. The beer has a half finger tall sudsy foamy light beige head that reduces to a large patch of mottled thin film and a medium thick ring at the edges of the glass. Moderate amounts of lacing are observed.

S: Moderate aromas of citrus/orange and citrus/orange zest hops over the top of grainy malts.

T: Upfront there are grainy malts with a light to moderate amount of sweetness. That is followed by moderate flavors of citrus/orange and citrus/orange zest hops which impart a light to moderate amount of bitterness which fades pretty quickly.

M: Just shy of medium bodied with moderate amounts of carbonation.

O: Easy to drink and just about sessionable with a nice showcase of the El Dorado hop. I continue to be impressed with everything I have sampled from Maine Beer and will continue to seek out and try their beers.

3.96/5  rDev -0.5%

A: The beer is clear amber in color and has a moderate amount of carbonation. It poured with a quarter finger high off white head that died down, leaving a thin layer of bubbles on the surface and a collar around the edge of the glass.
S: Moderate aromas of citrus hops are present in the nose—oranges stand out in particular.
T: Like the smell, the taste is dominated by favors of orange zest. There is a light amount of bitterness.
M: It feels medium-bodied and a little crisp on the palate with a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: This beer does a very nice job of showcasing the El Dorado hops in both the smell and taste. It was easy to drink.

4.08/5  rDev +2.5%

On the color, be sure to roll the bottle to get the yeast incorporated onto a beautiful rich orange

The aroma is slightly restrained, but still hoppy of orange zest, a touch of citrus Starburst.

The flavor follows with some green grass and floral up front. Then it moves onto orange zest, spritzy fruit notes, clementines, a touch of sweetness, with a beautiful clean malt backbone.

In general, a really refreshing brew, but restrained to the point that it is probably the weakest of MBC's hoppy offerings. Despite the prices, perfect for food pairing and summer drinking.

to view more.