Dinner - Maine Beer Company

DinnerDinner

Maine Beer Company visit their website
Maine, United States

Beer added by: ThatsThatDude on 03-10-2014

Our first Double IPA – dry, refreshing and hoppy. We really focused on hop flavor and aroma here. To maximize hop character, we dry hopped Dinner twice with over 6 lbs. of hops per barrel. For the best experience, please enjoy fresh as possible.
to view more.
Ratings: 873 | Reviews: 103
4.99/5  rDev +7.8%

Great IPA with an amazing citrusy aroma. Definitely better than both Pliney's. Haven't had heady yet.... will have to see how it stands up. Easily in my top 3 favorite IPAs.

4.97/5  rDev +7.3%

Best DIPA I've ever had. Might be the best beer I've ever had.

4.68/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

My little brother traded 2012 Parabola for this. Well I have to say, this is an excellent beer. Very nice for a double IPA and definitely a step above Pliny even on the freshest of days. This was bottled 12 days ago. Very delicate flavors. Great citrus profile. I put this right there with Bad Boy. Definitely in my top 3 favorite IPAs. Too bad the bottle is not a full 22 oz. Still, probably would have kept that Parabola... but that's just me.

4.75/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

l: Orangey-gold with a creamy bone head that disappeared into a collar. S: lots of mango and fresh tropical fruits, some pine. T: big citrus flavor with some pine, but with a dry finish. Extremely clean and balanced. Surprisingly getting no mango in the flavor. Superb!!!

3.59/5  rDev -22.5%

Way over rated, I traded for this. It came way hyped.
L: Orange, cloudy, nice white head. Fits an unfiltered beer
S: piney and dank, almost musty. No citrus
T: didn't live up expectations, just meh
F: smooth, but once again Meh. Not anything special, not bad, but not great
O: for all the hype, I expected much more. It's was underwhelming. If I had waited in line for 4-5 hrs, I'd be more than dissatisfied.

4.96/5  rDev +7.1%

One of the best IPAs out there. Finally got hold of a few and was blwn away. Super citusy and refershing.

4.68/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Is this a great IPA? Of course, and we all know it. However, I am largely basing my score on how smooth and refreshing it is. Let's see, the nose is well citrusy like most west coast IPA's I am use to trying, but definitely heavier on the mango and pineapple, which is enjoyable. The nose is similar to a pseudosue and golden nugget if that provides any clarity. However, the taste was more of piney/orangey with a little bit of lemon. I didn't really taste the mango or pineapple that I smelled initially, and which was noticeable in the body with a pseudosue and golden nuggest. On the other hand, I cannot complain as this was incredibly hoppy with a very nice hop profile(not overly bitter) and had a nice clean mouthful of pine, orange, and earthiness. It is fairly light as other posters have mentioned, but I feel this is nowhere near an issue since this is an IPA and not an imperial stout. Overall, great flavor and appearance, and much better than this year's version of pliny the younger in my west coast opinion.

4.13/5  rDev -10.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

This is a review of 7 bottles from the same case of beer. Bottom line was 4 bottles had great appearance but aroma and mouthfeel were light. Flavor profile: forward and middle were just ok before pulling a Houdini and completely disappearing on the back side. Totally disappointing especially because these were the first four bottles sampled. Score: 3.6. When the fifth bottle was sampled I expected more of the same but was in for a shock. This bottle had everything. Appearance, aroma, mouthfeel and flavor profile were excellent. This I believe is the Dinner that gets rave reviews. Score: 4.5. The remaining two bottles were good. Not as weak as the first four nor as strong as the fifth bottle. Score: 4.1. In my opinion there is a definite lack of consistency in this beer.

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Poured from a 16.9 oz bottle into a goblet. Acquired in an IP trade with Mike - thank you very much!

Pours a sunny deep orange hazy body with a big frothy white head that reduces slowly, leaving chunky foam and lots of retention/lacing. Really nice looking.

Big, potent aromas of juicy fruits, fresh citrus, pineapple, like a tropical heaven bursting into my nostrils.. mango, pineapple, passionfruit. Fresh hops straight from the package, raw, alpha acids that make my mouth water. Nearly perfect here.

The tongue follows the nose with the addition of some piney/resinous notes.. lots of citrus and tropical fruits, followed by a piney/resinous bite then a light hop zing on the finish, no big hop bitterness on the finish which is nice, this ties into a nice easy drinking mouthfeel with medium carbonation and body. Beer burps are awesome.. which I usually don't comment on but these taste like straight hops.

Overall a beautifully crafted DIPA, one of the freshest, most tropical I've ever smelled and the most balanced I've tasted. Excellent.

3.93/5  rDev -15.1%

Not my favorite. Wouldnt buy more. I thought it was mild all around.

4.74/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

This is the best big IPA I've had, and big IPAs are my favorite beers, and it's my first rating... so 4.75 is the highwater mark for now.
I've been drinking Dinner for a week. It is a remarkably smooth DIPA. Closest comparison I've had is Lagunitas Sucks, but Dinner is more robust.
First had it on tap at MBC, and fell in love. Went back at next release and waited over four hours to buy a case. After two hours I was telling myself that it's not worth doing this again (there are other great IPAs). Two sips into the first bottle I was already planning for the next line at the next release.

Aroma is amazing flood of tropical fruit - mango, pineapple. You just want to keep smelling it. Then you taste it. An explosion of taste matching the aroma. Excellent color and lacing. The bottle read do not age and I did not. This will be the benchmark for all future dipas for me. Thank you Maine!

It doesn't get better than this in IPA land

4.94/5  rDev +6.7%

Hands down one of best beers out there. Crafted at a Hill Farmstead level and certainly surpasses Heady in all forms. Mouthfeel is incredible.

4.61/5  rDev -0.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Liquid Juicy Fruit gum. A little thin for a DIPA but great sweet fruity hop flavor.

4.33/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Bottled 4-11-15 consumed 4-16-15. Very nice head with a slight lemon yellow tinge. Sticky lacing. Aroma has a good balance of pine, mango, pineapple, and a to ugh of bubble gum. Taste was slightly reminiscent of the aroma with a bit more of the pine than the fruit. Slight aftertaste of pine. Felt it was slightly thin for a DIPA. A very good beer but not in the top echelon of DIPA's.

4.54/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Great DIPA might be the best I have ever had!!!

Takes the cake as the best beer I've ever had. I am sad to see how hard it is to get

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

fruity. amazing aroma. worth the praise.

Best Beer of all time... amazing

4.85/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Looks cloudy, golden, with noticeable carbonation. Smells sweet, hoppy, and fruity. Tastes clean, hoppy and bitter. Very well balanced. Carbonation is like a subtle seltzer. Amazingly delicious. A really well made double IPA. 'Lunch' is a favorite of mine, and this is a step above. It's hoppy, drinkable, and all the right things a Double IPA should be. With such limited released, I've heard this beer described as a "myth"... but it's real and it's fantastic.

4.84/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

An excellent DIPA, my favorite from MBC behind Mo and Peeper.

4.24/5  rDev -8.4%

Overall a very good DIPA, but in my opinion its just another very good DIPA. Very similar to a lot of things out there. I was hoping with my first taste It would give me a different opinion. Still think that initially Heady Topper, Focal Banger and SOS are bit above the rest for me in terms of flavor, balance and just better overall beers.

4.29/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Great beer for sure. Similar to Tree House Curiosity 14 actually.

Doesn't blow me out of the water because the aftertaste is a bit lacking. Great initial flavor, but wanted a little more once it went down.

Not overly hoppy, goes down smooth, and bursts with a crisp freshness

to view more.