Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Dinner - Maine Beer Company

Wants: 1,227
Maine Beer Company visit their website
Maine, United States

Beer added by: ThatsThatDude on 03-10-2014

Our first Double IPA – dry, refreshing and hoppy. We really focused on hop flavor and aroma here. To maximize hop character, we dry hopped Dinner twice with over 6 lbs. of hops per barrel. For the best experience, please enjoy fresh as possible.
Reviews: 116 | Hads: 1,230
4.74/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Got this beer by chance from now a good friend. This is my first introduction into Maine beer and god damn is this beer phenomenal. Had this 4 days after the last release. This was a hyped beer I guess I missed. This beer in my opinion is what Pliny is supposed to taste like. This beer has tons of hop and fruit aroma, lots of pine as well. This is in my top 5 for DIPA's and its something everyone who likes beers should drink.

4.72/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

An opaque gold/orange appearance. Aroma of biscuits, plum, citrus and tangerines. Tastes of biscuits, honey, oranges and tangerines for days. The particularly abundant tangerine and orangish malt flavors impart a world of soft rounded citrus flavors that taste out of this world. Bitterness seems mild and the alcohol is nowhere to be found. World class.

One of the best East Coast DIPAs for sure! Pours an orangish color with small amount of head and solid carbonation. The first thing you notice on the nose and tongue is the Citra hops. Flat out amazing! Maine Beer Co nailed it on this one, cheers!

4.9/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

This is one of the hyped beers that actually lives up to what people say about it. I was lucky enough to have this 2 weeks after bottling and it is wonderful. Lots of dank oniony notes and citrus on the palate and nose. Medium body and bitterness. Subtle malt that delicately balances the hop bomb. Just a touch of booze. One of the best beers I've ever had.

4.61/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

After having lunch and being a little underwhelmed, I didn't have high hopes for dinner.

Man was I wrong, this is a hopbomb!

It is so light tasting for the amount of hoppiness this beer has in it. The nose is heavenly, fruit scents with tiniest hint of pine dominated by hop characteristics. The taste is a blend of citrus and a slight bitterness that ties the entire beer together.

Awesome brew.

4.06/5  rDev -12.9%

There are so many other good IIPAs in New England these days, I just don't get the hype here. Yes, it is solid, but it doesn't come close to the mouthfeel or juiciness of Treehouse, Trillium, or any of the stuff from Vermont. Rock solid, but I wouldn't seek it out again.

4.84/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

This is my favorite DIPA. So balanced it's scary. You would never know it comes with an ABV above 8%. Nice white head and lacing. Bitter but balanced. A must try.

4.52/5  rDev -3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Smells a mango and a pineapple went at it and this is what "came" out of it (see what I did there?) Great nose, good body, nice bitterness, I don't find if as being as highly coveted as BA traders think. Good but not top 5 for my personal dbl ipa

4.69/5  rDev +0.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

It smells actually like sex and pineapple. The scent of this is like nectar of the gods. Not the best double IPA I have ever had but this beer is the real deal.

4.79/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

We had this beer as part of a blind taste test and I was blown away. The beer poured a pale/straw yellow color and was rather cloudy. There was only a little head, but good retention. The taste was amazing; sweet, tropical and clean.

4.97/5  rDev +6.7%

Was fortunate to try this day one of the most recent release and several times over the past month and this is some serious sauce here. Deep tropical hop flavor balanced to absolute perfection with a clean, crisp malt profile with just a hint of sweetness. I've had beers from TH and Trillium that pack a bigger hop character but none are in suhc perfect harmony with everything else present in the beer.
The hype is real, deserves every accolade it gets.

4.81/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Wow! The first east coast DIPA I've had that truly blew me away.

Appearance - pours a orange/golden color with a light fluffy head. Great carbonation and slight legs.

Aroma - I could instantly smell the Citra hops in this and thats what bkew me away. Tropical and mango notes abound. My mouth instantly watered.

Taste/Mouthfeel - the nose was confirmed that this is an awesomely awesome citrus/tropical bomb! Medium mouthfeel and no hint of bitterness anywhere, just juicy delicious tropical notes.

Overall - I'm by no means a hophead and don't normally seek them out in trades, but after having this I sure am glad I did! I fully expected this to be just like all the other east coast malt bomb IPAs I've had, but I was pleasantly surprised! KRBC Citra is my all time favorite DIPA, and this is the first and only beer that can come close. Well done!

4.62/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

By far one of the best smelling hoppy beers out there. Such a light but aggressive hop profile. Very fruity and floral. Taste is beyond definition, very clean tasting, easy drinkin that is not overly bitter or pine-y. Virtually no alcohol taste. Feel is light, crisp and dry. Outstanding like all of MBC's beers. One worth getting but you will wish you had a constant suply.

Got a chance to try this over the weekend and it was absolutely AMAZING! I don't believe I've had a beer that smells so fantastic. The tastes backs up the amazing tropical fruity hoppy smell. Love it.

look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

16.9 oz. bottle poured into a tulip glass. Consumed a little over three weeks after bottling date.

Appearance: Cloudy orange/yellow.

Smell: Citrusy - pineapple, mango, guava, orange. Small amount of pine. Very floral.

Taste: Much like the smell, it was extremely citrusy and fruity. Not overly bitter.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, good carbonation, and very little alcohol coming through. Goes down so easy.

Overall: Easily one of the best DIPAs (or beers for that matter) that I have ever had. Would love to try one really fresh one day.

4.71/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Pours light orange/straw with nice head and lacings, cloudy. I get aroma of tropical fruit but not as much as other IIPA, but aroma is maintained thru tasting. Taste is big fruit of mango apricot pineapple. Extremely smooth, almost sweet no lingering bitterness. Delicious beer but not as complex as my absolute favorites.

The Brewers say drink this beer, don't sit on it. I had my last one tonight. 16 days after I got it. Had a distinctive different taste. This was my first split case, I'll get it again, great double IPA.

4.75/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Very similar to Lunch. A wonderful Hop bouquet. However, the body is much nicer than Lunch. It is a well-balanced IPA and a pleasure to drink. Plus, my wife loves it.

4.2/5  rDev -9.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

a - Cloudy and pale straw color. Thin head with good lacing.

s - Strong aroma of ripe papaya, and tropical fruit.

t/m - Fine effervescence, grapefruit and papaya with less bitterness than usually expected from a DIPA.

Overall - Refresshing and very easy drinking. A good beer.

4.72/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

huge thanks to gary for the freshie bottle (bottled 6/20 - 6 days ago). enjoyed from my mbc mini snifter.

a - cloudy orange yellow w a thin foamy ipa head...sheets of lace.

s - oh yum. tropical fruit bouquet. wish I had some fresh lunch to compare, but this is just as good as my memory treks me.

t/m/o - first off, SUPER easy drinking and refreshing with a very tasteful hop profile that sings of tropical ripe fruit and citrus. don't have lunch to compare but very much comes across like the double lunch. quality beverage, hope to have thus again and again and...!

4.96/5  rDev +6.4%

Cloudy orange body with a froth of sticky yellowish head.

Nose is candied tropical fruits. Amazing!

Flavor is tart, sweet, quenching. A taste explosion of tropical fruity hops (Mango, Pineapple, Papaya, plus Grapefruit) with a malt backbone that is Pliny-like in it's unobtrusiveness. Truly a pleasure to sip this one.

Mouthfeel is sticky and stripping. Tart on the palate with a lingering chalkiness from the hop resins.

Overall, top notch. A wonderful DIPA, and one that I will drive to Maine to seek out in the future. Thanks to Krishna for the trade!

look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

16.9 oz. bottle poured into a tulip.

Appearance: Pours a hazy, glowing orange with a huge white head that shows good retention. Some dotty lacing is observable. Lots of carbonation going on in there. Okay, let's see if this is the real deal ...

Aroma: Huge, strong, very attractive nose. Lots of tropical fruit. Kind of smells like apricots and candy. Also peach, mango. Pine is there. Definitely one of the best beers I've ever smelled.

Taste: Wow. The taste fulfills the nose. Bursting with big tropical fruit flavors. The mango comes forward a bit as it warms. Peach, apricot still there. That pine note is still there. Little bit of sap. Impressively dry despite the sugarish aroma in the nose. Everything you've heard about this beer is true.

Mouthfeel: Remarkably smooth. Not abrasive at all despite super hops and pretty high alcohol by volume. Alcohol, by the way, is deep in the background. Deceptively, almost dangerously, drinkable.

Overall: A powerhouse. Everything is true. Terrific beer.

4.9/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

From a recently purchased bottle.

Big head with small bubbles, similar to Lunch. Light color, and hazy.

Smells of tropical fruits, especially mango. Some pine. Citrus rinds.

Tastes similar to the smell, but with specifically more orange. Great balance of sweet and bitter. With some bottles I get onion and dank flavors, other times it's just tropical. I think this isn't an actual difference between the bottles, but more my palate or the temperature of the beer or something like that. Finishes dry.

Medium carbonation. It feels creamy at first but then slides down quickly, leaving very little oily hoppiness on the palate compared to some other doubles.

This is really great, and totally different from Lunch, which I also love. It's more like a stronger Beer I.

Update: In a side-by-side comparison of this with Heady, I think this is better. For sure it has a stronger smell with more passion fruit and dank. And it's less bitter. Whether that's what you prefer will vary from person to person. To Heady's credit, its finish lasts longer.

4.66/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Pours a pale gold. Smells tropical. Mango, Clementine, lime. Tastes immediately like sweet citrus fruits but has a hoppier bitter backbone most doubles are missing. Really good. Bubbles dance on the tongue like light champagne.

4.5/5  rDev -3.4%

I picked up a bottle of Dinner in a trade.
A: Hazy, golden orange with a thin, white lacing.
S: Mango, peach, some tropical citrus and a hint of pine.
T: Similar to the nose.
M: Somewhat watery body, slight bitterness, hops are prickly to the tongue and has a dry finish.
O: I thought Dinner was very good, but the watery mouthfeel was a little surprising to me. If the opportunity arose for me to have this again, I wouldn't say no!

Dinner from Maine Beer Company