Dinner - Maine Beer Company

DinnerDinner

Maine Beer Company visit their website
Maine, United States

Beer added by: ThatsThatDude on 03-10-2014

Our first Double IPA – dry, refreshing and hoppy. We really focused on hop flavor and aroma here. To maximize hop character, we dry hopped Dinner twice with over 6 lbs. of hops per barrel. For the best experience, please enjoy fresh as possible.
to view more.
Ratings: 884 | Reviews: 104
Reviews by richobrien:
3.53/5  rDev -23.8%

Ok guys lets get real this is not a100 point beer.

4.68/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Is this a great IPA? Of course, and we all know it. However, I am largely basing my score on how smooth and refreshing it is. Let's see, the nose is well citrusy like most west coast IPA's I am use to trying, but definitely heavier on the mango and pineapple, which is enjoyable. The nose is similar to a pseudosue and golden nugget if that provides any clarity. However, the taste was more of piney/orangey with a little bit of lemon. I didn't really taste the mango or pineapple that I smelled initially, and which was noticeable in the body with a pseudosue and golden nuggest. On the other hand, I cannot complain as this was incredibly hoppy with a very nice hop profile(not overly bitter) and had a nice clean mouthful of pine, orange, and earthiness. It is fairly light as other posters have mentioned, but I feel this is nowhere near an issue since this is an IPA and not an imperial stout. Overall, great flavor and appearance, and much better than this year's version of pliny the younger in my west coast opinion.

4.99/5  rDev +7.8%

Absolutely amazing. Best double IPA I ever had. We also did a blind taste test with heady and mastermind and stone enjoy by. This one came in first place accross almost all reviewers (6 out of 7 had Dinner first place). This one stands up to the hype.

4.75/5  rDev +2.6%

Well=hopped, but balanced.
Dry.
Just about perfect.

4.29/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Great beer for sure. Similar to Tree House Curiosity 14 actually.

Doesn't blow me out of the water because the aftertaste is a bit lacking. Great initial flavor, but wanted a little more once it went down.

4.84/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

An excellent DIPA, my favorite from MBC behind Mo and Peeper.

4.74/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

This is the best big IPA I've had, and big IPAs are my favorite beers, and it's my first rating... so 4.75 is the highwater mark for now.
I've been drinking Dinner for a week. It is a remarkably smooth DIPA. Closest comparison I've had is Lagunitas Sucks, but Dinner is more robust.
First had it on tap at MBC, and fell in love. Went back at next release and waited over four hours to buy a case. After two hours I was telling myself that it's not worth doing this again (there are other great IPAs). Two sips into the first bottle I was already planning for the next line at the next release.

4.83/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Heady Topper! Please move out the way I'm about to have some "Dinner"... Whoa!!! This beer is right up there among the great beers in the country.. This beer the second I drank it, I knew it was up there with the best.. Cheers to this beer.. If you live near Maine or even remotely close.. Better get this beer... Unbelievable...

Was fortunate to get a few bottles after the release on 5/21.

Appearance: Hazy golden/copper color. This is one beautiful looking beer.

Smell: Very nice. Floral and citrus notes come through. I wish the aroma was a bit stronger.

Taste: Simply perfect. This is a top tier DIPA in my book. IMO, it is as good, if not better than the other well recognized DIPA's out there.

Mouthfeel: Excellent...very smooth and the carbonation bubbles made my taste buds dance!

Overall: This is the most enjoyable DIPA that I've had. I really wish I could get my hands on more. I hope MBCo brews this more frequently so that it is available on a more regular basis.

4.53/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

500 mL bottle poured into a snifter.

Appearance - Hazy orange body. Nice white head. A bit of lacing and a medium collar.

Smell - Tons of mango and tropical fruit. Orange hops. Lightly toasted malt.

Taste - Bright orange hops. More orange than tropical fruit, but both are present. Some sweet pale malts and some cracker malt. Mild mustiness and hop bitterness.

Mouthfeel - Medium body. Great balance of sweetness and mild bitterness. Medium carbonation.

Overall - Well this is just fantastic. It's a hop bomb but the malt profile is balanced very well.

4.5/5  rDev -2.8%

Picked up 4 bottles at the brewery today, same day as release, all bottles were dated 3/11/14. I also had a glass on tap while i was there. Super hazy copper color with a thick bright white head. Smells like a bouquet of fruits, melon, grapefruit, citrus. It does have a faint dirty feet stank if you huff on it enough, not complaining it smells great overall. Tastes like it smells, super fruity. Reminds me less of "Lunch" and more of "Another One". Seems to be a cranked up version of "Another One" and as much as i love this beer, I think I'd rather have it in it's single form. Overall, this is fantastic and i'm glad i drove 3 hours for four bottles, amazing beer. Cheers.

4.99/5  rDev +7.8%

12/6 bottling. Beer was graciously sent to me by a good pal who knows I love nice things. Poured into a Lawson's tulip.

A - Dark golden in color. The beer is not clear, but certainly has good clarity. Beer pours with a very minimal head that retreated nearly immediately. Beautiful lacing on this one...reminiscent of that doily at your grandmother's house.

N - Instant floral hop explosion in your face. Beautiful floral and citrus notes -- kind of like sniffing a bowl of fruit in a flowery meadow. Very pronounced aromas of mandarin oranges and mangoes.

T - Great citrus up front...like I leaned in and took a bite out of that fruit bowl. The hop flavors come through strong in the middle and the taste ends with a nice grapefruit-like bitterness. The citrusy flavors linger and do not go away...simply delightful!

M - The beer is not thin by any means, but is fairly light for a DIPA. There are no overbearing malt characteristics. Very well balanced and extremely quaffable.

O - This is a fantastic DIPA that definitely lives up to the hype. It's easy to lump it in with the other world class DIPA's from New England and it certainly is in the same class, but this beer is unique in its own right. I wish I lived closer to ME and that I could get my hands on it all the time!

4.85/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Dinner was fantastic! Wish I had more!

4.69/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Great beer. Huge floral notes, highlighted by ripe grapefruit and cantaloupe.

App- frothy head, laced all the way through.

Taste- Great balance between hops and florals. Indeed, a mint notes as the flavor fades. Nice compliment to the season.

Mouth- Surprisingly light. Very crisp.

Superior beer. Tough to get your hands on but worth the effort.

Beautiful hop aroma upon opening. Jam packed with glorious hop flavor while still being bright, citrusy and not too bitter. I love the carbonation Maine Beer achieves in all its beers - tiny bubbles that surround your tongue and seem to press the flavor into your taste buds! Minimal alcohol flavor makes this beer dangerous! One of my all-time favorites!

4.76/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Trip to the brewery today for the Dinner release, bottled yesterday :-)

A - Soft yellow color with a nice head, great sticky lace retention

S - Citrus explosion. Grapefruit, lemon, lime, orange peels, grass, amazing!

T - Follows the nose initially and then you get a pine blast. Unique balance

M - Soft and supple feel, high carbonation, biting with a dry finish

O - A remarkable DIPA. Wonderfully balanced between citrus and malts. The aroma is out of this world. This will appeal to hop heads and fruit forward IPA fans. The world can only hope this will be added to their regular lineup. Bravo!

Top 3 beer I've ever had. Helped that it was bottled on the same day I drank it

4.25/5  rDev -8.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 4.25

Reviewing Dinner, an imperial IPA from Maine Beer Company out of Freeport, Maine.

Score: 93

Bottle is from the 05/21/14 release. Served in an Upland snifter and enjoyed on 06/11/14. Review is from iPhone notes.

Appearance: Pours a nice orange-peach color with a finger of frothy head that settles to a thin coating. Excellent lacing, good retention. 4.5/5

Smell: Grapefruit, grapefruit, grapefruit and forest-y pine. The nose features a nice mix of tropical fruitiness and grassy/piney hop characteristics. Quite lovely. 4.5/5

Taste: Grapefruit and orange zest, with a nice piney bite on the back half. So...much...grapefruit! Simple, effective and delicious IPA. 4.5/5

Mouthfeel: Thin and watery, undercarbonated. Watery mouthfeeel, but nice bitterness. Lasting bitterness and grapefruit. 2.5/5

Overall: A really lovely grapefruit bomb IPA that needs more heft and carbonation in the mouthfeel to be a truly elite beer.

Cost: $10 for a 500 ml bottle.

4.7/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Bottle opened by stillmatic2232 at his bottle share.

Pours a slightly hazy golden orange-ish yellow, with a one inch head, and lots of lacing.

Smells heavenly- some resinous pine, with more juicy tropical fruit aromas.

The taste is similar, and even more amazing. Slightly honey-like up front, with lots of orange, pineapple, grass, and flowery hop goodness. Quite dank, as they say.

Fairly thick mouthfeel for an IPA, almost like drinking hop-infused honey. Just awesome. Low to medium carbonation, very, very drinkable.

This one is another home run from MBC. It's hard to say if it's better than Lunch, but no matter which one you pick, everyone wins.

4.99/5  rDev +7.8%

Was lucky enough to grab a bottle of this a few weeks back before the, what seemed to be a limited release batch, ran out.

Appearance: A bit cloudy / hazy, especially compared to other IPA's in this class. More then likely this is due to how incredibly fresh the beer was along with the brewing process. It may have cleared a bit had I let the bottle chill for a couple of weeks...but let's be honest, that wasn't going to happen :p

Smell: Incredible...floral with huge notes of citrus (grapefruit) hitting you in the face...in a very good way.

Taste: Perfection. Incredibly clean tasting, and exactly what a double IPA should be. Bitterness was just right, and far from overpowering. I took my time with this beer, and enjoyed it at various temps. Past double IPAs have produced hints of alcohol as the beer warms. Not Dinner...it changed in flavor, but not for the worse.

Mouthfeel: Very smooth, very enjoyable.

Overall: This was, by far, the most enjoyable IPA that I have ever had. I really wish that the batch had lasted more than 4 days, as I would have purchased more for sure. They have to be making another batch....Right ME Beer Co? Please tell me you are! :)

4.5/5  rDev -2.8%

Had this at a bottle share, great west coast dankness, piney, tropical fruit, nice color, and so damn smooth. Really enjoyed this

4.69/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Had on tap and in bottle. Only advice with bottle would be to makes sure you don't pour the sediment in the bottom of the bottle. Bitters the beer significantly.

Appearance - nice golden straw colored pour with good head and lacing that lasts throughout the drinking

Smell - really the only place I can knock this beer. It's not a bad smell, I'm just comparing it to some of the more floral IPAs which I enjoy more, it's actually really fragrant.

Taste - hops are phenomenal and really shine through has a smooth sweet hop taste with some citrus notes that I seem to pick up a little more as it warms. It's a well balanced hop profile though.

Mouthfeel - nice mouthfeel while drinking goes down smooth with barely any booze all while maintaining a nice carb feel

Overall might be my favorite from MBC overtaking mo for the number one spot. Really hope this turns into a regular offering.

Cheers

4.81/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Tasty. Great DIPA and certainly worth the wait in line.

Obtained today at the brewery during their 4th release of Dinner. Poured out of the bottle into a white wine class - full golden color with a nice head. Fresh, fruity and hoppy on the nose. Taste is a subtle, composed combination of tart fruit taste and moderate hoppiness. Less abrasive than Heady Topper, but full of taste. Super awesome!!!

Amazingly smooth hoppy burst with smooth afterflavor. This is the best beer I have ever tasted!!!

to view more.