Peeper Ale - Maine Beer Company

Peeper AlePeeper Ale

Maine Beer Company visit their website
Maine, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.50% ABV

Our original hoppy American ale. Dry, clean, well-balanced with generous dose of American hops.

(Beer added by: ToasterChef on 07-30-2009)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Peeper Ale Alström Bros
sneth019

DubbelD

01-02-2013 03:14:50 | More by DubbelD
facundoCNB

4.35/5  rDev +5.8%

a clean (until the sediment went in on the last pour) yellow pour with 2 fingers of fluffy head that sat on top like an ice cream cone. excellent heavy sticky lacing. beautiful looking pale ale.
the smell is unbelievably hoppy. lots of grass, garlic, and pine notes coming from the hops, with a sugar-like caramel tone.
the part i've been waiting patiently for (the head took a while to go down).. the taste: bitter as hell as soon as it touches the tongue followed by a sweet bready malt backbone. a spicy garlic-like hop note kicks back in and lingers for a bit. very herbal hops, very aggressive for a pale ale! love it! little citrus notes kick in as the beer warms up.
a medium body, highly carbonated delicious nectar of the gods. do not hesitate to pick this up. i'm looking at my bottle and it's from october. we're in january now.. i can't believe the hops are still this awesome this far along, i honestly can't even imagine what this is like fresh then.

01-01-2013 23:06:00 | More by facundoCNB

3.5/5  rDev -14.8%

01-01-2013 16:58:03 | More by FutureOBrew
woodychandler

3.85/5  rDev -6.3%

I had originally purchased this as a stop-gap for a frequent CANTrader (TM) who wanted Lunch, but which I was initially unable to find. I subsequently found what that person was looking for and decided to keep this for myself. Win-win, no?

From the bottle: "Our hand-crafted American ale. Pleasant malt body 100% American hops"; "Do what's right. 1% for the Planet (TM) Member"; "Bottle Conditioned Contains live yeast. Sediment is all natural. Serve in a glass with or without a complete pour."; "My brother and I started homebrewing in a small garage in Portland [ME]. We wanted to make some really good beer so that we could drink it of course. One winter, after many days of brewing, our fingers numb (the garage was not heated), we decided we should begin to share. So, we moved into a bigger garage (our new brewery with heat) and here it is. Cheers!"; "What We Are All About We brew great beers conditioned the old fashioned way. We are a local company serving our local community. We use 100% wind power for our electricity. We donate our used grain, yeast & grain bags to local farmers. We donate 1% of all sales to environmental non-profits." Maybe they did mean Portland, OR ...

My pour got me a one-finger cap of rocky, eggshell-white head with good retention. Color was a hazy sunshine-yellow that really stood out at this late hour. Nose smelled like fresh-baked lemon bread. Yeasty, zesty, bready, all of the above. Mouthfeel was thin-to-medium with a lemon zest flavor immediate on the tongue. It really did taste like lemon bread, something that I have not baked in many years. I used to have aspirations of becoming a chef, but my Navy recruiter talked me out of the kitchen and while I know how to cook, I rarely do so. Finish was semi-dry with the lemony flavor allowing the malt a chance to bring some sweetness to the whole affair. I think that this would be a wonderful summer beer and if the opportunity to revisit it during the summer presents itself, I may do just that.

01-01-2013 03:51:16 | More by woodychandler
cvm4

Mississippi

3.75/5  rDev -8.8%

A - Has a straw color to it & very opaque, very fluffy two finger head.

S - Lovely smell... lemon zest, grassy, bright citrus hops and mild malts.

T - Light pine hops along with a bit of grapefruit. A definite grassyness to it and some malts to being it all in.

M - A bit watery with a light body but medium carbonation.

O - One of the better pale ales I've ever had. That being said, they'll never blow you away but are there to deliver time & time again.

01-01-2013 01:23:49 | More by cvm4
joeseppy

12-31-2012 02:37:10 | More by joeseppy
BeerBuckeye

4.28/5  rDev +4.1%

A- Pours a hazy pale yellow with foamy bright white head. Plenty of lacing along the side.

S- bright and hoppy, grassy, hint of zest and orange peel. Very nice.

T- Surprisingly full malt body, light earthy hops, zest, hint of lemon. Very very good ans balanced.

M- Crisp, zesty.

Overall- Maine Beer is killing it and this is another great beer. How do I get more of this?

12-31-2012 01:24:18 | More by BeerBuckeye
Wishdiak

12-29-2012 00:56:12 | More by Wishdiak
dashmartino

4.6/5  rDev +11.9%

Poured from a big bottle into a tall pilsner glass. Bottle marked 10/12/12, so it's still relatively fresh. Poured it painfully slow so as not to disturb the yeast, as per the bottle. Pours clear and yellow with a nice head. Carbonation is great, very effervescent. Crisp hops hit you first with a clean finish. An excellent pale ale that is quite drinkable! No bad aftertaste. Wish I could taste it fresher, I'd imagine it'd naturally be hoppier. Seems to be a much more well rounded beer compared to the Zoe.

12-28-2012 23:56:29 | More by dashmartino

ejimhof

12-27-2012 04:05:07 | More by ejimhof
zeledonia

4.3/5  rDev +4.6%

Recently had a delicious beer from Maine Beer Co., so when I saw this at a local store on a holiday trip to NJ, I snapped it up. Bottle 12 October 2012, if I'm reading the bottle correctly.

Pours a lovely pale golden color. Clear on the first pour, a bit of haze in the second when the yeast on the bottom just wouldn't quite stay put. Curtains of bubbles flowing up from the bottom of the glass. Two fingers of dense white head, good retention and excellent lacing. Nearly perfect, IMO.

Smell is delightfully crisp and hoppy. The hops are tough to identify, but really nice. They drift from herbal into piney and then to citrus, then cycle back through that circuit in some different way. Quite nice, soft but formidable.

Taste is not on the same level, but it is pretty good. Thin, with that dry flavor that many dry-hopped pale ales have. Drifts bitter in a gentle way. Solid.

Medium-bodied, with a slickness that I really like. Sizzly carbonation and a crisp, dry, polished finish. Couldn't be a whole lot beer.

This is a heck of a pale ale. It comes across as a strongly dry-hopped APA, in the vein of those by Three Floyds. I really like the variety in the hops, with a bunch of different aromas coming through in nearly-equal parts. A fantastic beer, IMO.

12-27-2012 02:28:52 | More by zeledonia