Peeper Ale - Maine Beer Company

Maine Beer Company visit their website
Maine, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.50% ABV

Beer added by: ToasterChef on 07-30-2009

Our original hoppy American ale. Dry, clean, well-balanced with generous dose of American hops.
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 2,199 | Reviews: 519

3.75/5  rDev -8.8%

3.75/5  rDev -8.8%

Bottle purchased on 12-29-12, consumed on 1-5-13. Didn't notice it when I bought it, but there's a date on the side of the bottle: 4-17-12, which I assume is the bottled-on date - making this beer nearly 9 months old when consumed. . . .

A: Poured into a pint glass. Body is surprisingly light - slightly chill-hazed straw-yellow with active carbonation forming a 2-finger soap-bubbly white head. Leaves behind thick sheets of foamy lace.

S: Light citrus - lemon and lemon peel and a touch of grapefruit. Modest bready malt aromas underneath.

T: Sweeter than expected, though I can't help but wonder if the hops would've been a little more prevalent when fresh. Still, after a fairly sweet malt profile early in the sip, it finishes with a good bitterness - lemony, grassy and a bit of grapefruity pith or peel.

M: On the lighter side of medium in heft with active carbonation creating rising bubbles throughout and a modest creaminess in feel.

O: A solid APA - easy-drinking but with good hop flavors.

2.37/5  rDev -42.3%

Again,seeing the high rating on BA, i was expecting to taste a great APA.
Poured out into a proper glass.

A- Very light,straw color,what i expected in a APA.
S- Lots of citrus,a little pine and grassy aromas.
T- Not alot of anything considering the nose on this beer. Not expecting a hop-bomb,but thinking this was gonna be something special with a 95 rating. Dales PA and Full Nelson PA blow this out of the water. I admit, they are pretty hoppy for APA's, but this beer was a disappointment in the flavor catagory.
M- Nothing worth noting,void of any substantial body.
O- A real disappointment. I paid how much for this?

4.33/5  rDev +5.4%

a clean (until the sediment went in on the last pour) yellow pour with 2 fingers of fluffy head that sat on top like an ice cream cone. excellent heavy sticky lacing. beautiful looking pale ale.
the smell is unbelievably hoppy. lots of grass, garlic, and pine notes coming from the hops, with a sugar-like caramel tone.
the part i've been waiting patiently for (the head took a while to go down).. the taste: bitter as hell as soon as it touches the tongue followed by a sweet bready malt backbone. a spicy garlic-like hop note kicks back in and lingers for a bit. very herbal hops, very aggressive for a pale ale! love it! little citrus notes kick in as the beer warms up.
a medium body, highly carbonated delicious nectar of the gods. do not hesitate to pick this up. i'm looking at my bottle and it's from october. we're in january now.. i can't believe the hops are still this awesome this far along, i honestly can't even imagine what this is like fresh then.

3.84/5  rDev -6.6%

I had originally purchased this as a stop-gap for a frequent CANTrader (TM) who wanted Lunch, but which I was initially unable to find. I subsequently found what that person was looking for and decided to keep this for myself. Win-win, no?

From the bottle: "Our hand-crafted American ale. Pleasant malt body 100% American hops"; "Do what's right. 1% for the Planet (TM) Member"; "Bottle Conditioned Contains live yeast. Sediment is all natural. Serve in a glass with or without a complete pour."; "My brother and I started homebrewing in a small garage in Portland [ME]. We wanted to make some really good beer so that we could drink it of course. One winter, after many days of brewing, our fingers numb (the garage was not heated), we decided we should begin to share. So, we moved into a bigger garage (our new brewery with heat) and here it is. Cheers!"; "What We Are All About We brew great beers conditioned the old fashioned way. We are a local company serving our local community. We use 100% wind power for our electricity. We donate our used grain, yeast & grain bags to local farmers. We donate 1% of all sales to environmental non-profits." Maybe they did mean Portland, OR ...

My pour got me a one-finger cap of rocky, eggshell-white head with good retention. Color was a hazy sunshine-yellow that really stood out at this late hour. Nose smelled like fresh-baked lemon bread. Yeasty, zesty, bready, all of the above. Mouthfeel was thin-to-medium with a lemon zest flavor immediate on the tongue. It really did taste like lemon bread, something that I have not baked in many years. I used to have aspirations of becoming a chef, but my Navy recruiter talked me out of the kitchen and while I know how to cook, I rarely do so. Finish was semi-dry with the lemony flavor allowing the malt a chance to bring some sweetness to the whole affair. I think that this would be a wonderful summer beer and if the opportunity to revisit it during the summer presents itself, I may do just that.

3.78/5  rDev -8%

A - Has a straw color to it & very opaque, very fluffy two finger head.

S - Lovely smell... lemon zest, grassy, bright citrus hops and mild malts.

T - Light pine hops along with a bit of grapefruit. A definite grassyness to it and some malts to being it all in.

M - A bit watery with a light body but medium carbonation.

O - One of the better pale ales I've ever had. That being said, they'll never blow you away but are there to deliver time & time again.

4.3/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A- Pours a hazy pale yellow with foamy bright white head. Plenty of lacing along the side.

S- bright and hoppy, grassy, hint of zest and orange peel. Very nice.

T- Surprisingly full malt body, light earthy hops, zest, hint of lemon. Very very good ans balanced.

M- Crisp, zesty.

Overall- Maine Beer is killing it and this is another great beer. How do I get more of this?

4.5/5  rDev +9.5%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Peeper Ale from Maine Beer Company