Peeper Ale - Maine Beer Company

Peeper AlePeeper Ale

Maine Beer Company visit their website
Maine, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.50% ABV

Our original hoppy American ale. Dry, clean, well-balanced with generous dose of American hops.

(Beer added by: ToasterChef on 07-30-2009)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Peeper Ale Alström Bros
4.18/5  rDev +1.7%

Poured from a 16.9oz bottle into a 20oz imperial pint. Thanks to Jayli for this from our recent trade!

A: Pours a cloudy amber color with a bunch of suspended sediment. A towering three finger head rises up a good finger over the rim of the glass before settling down to a just off-white 1 1/2 fingers of sticky and creamy, cask-pour styled foam. Retention is excellent with chunks and ropes of lace left behind.

S: Big aromas of pine and citrus with a healthy dose of yeasty bread crust.

T: Pine and citrus trade jabs with dry toasty malt, grass clippings, and doughy yeast. Caramel comes out towards the end of the glass.

M: Initial head formation was of pure cream. When the beer finally digs its' way through the foam cap the sticky and prickly body washes itself over the inside of my mouth. White pepper tingles hang around for ages.

D: A very nice range of flavors coupled with a killer creamy head, lingering peppery bitterness, and low abv make for a refreshing and satisfying APA.

GbVDave, May 31, 2010
3.93/5  rDev -4.4%

From a 1 pint bottle into a goblet. No freshness date but the label does have some nice details about the brewery.

A--Pours a deep hazy orange with a creamy white head that dissipates to thin lacing.

S--Pretty straight forward with a lot of lemon grass and pepper. Although it may not be complex its certainly enticing.

T--Mild malty body with a nice dose of pepper and lemon grass (just about like it smells). They fade to a nice earthy taste at the finish.

M--medium bodied and smooth with a slight drying effect at the finish.

D--This is a real easy drinker and at about 5.5% it's not too crazy on the alcohol.

For a beer that was started in a garage and still has a tiny distribution, this is just great stuff--and that's what its all about.

markb33, May 21, 2010
3.78/5  rDev -8%

500ml bottle poured into an 8oz sampling glass.

Pours a nice light and slightly hazy amber color with a nice thick and creamy white head. Nose is very fresh and piney with some light citrus notes.

hmm, mouthfeel is a bit lacking, this is one hop forward APA, think a less malty SNPA. There was some high attenuation on this because it's not sweet at all and finishes really dry with just a light hop bitterness on the palate. Carbonation is a bit high bit this partially makes up for the lower body and makes it a super drinkable summer ale. Very glad I stumbled upon this!

kingcrowing, May 15, 2010

Had a bottle of this at The Great Lost Bear on 5/1

A: This beer pours a nice clear copper color with a one finger of foamy white head. Head recedes somewhat quickly leaving ringlets of lacing behind.

S: Nose is of floral hops, piney hops, and a touch of breadiness.

T: Taste starts with a bit of citrusy hops, orange peel comes through before some floral notes take over. Middle is filled with caramel malts and a solid breadiness. Finish is a great pine and grassy mixture that really finishes this beer out nicely.

M: Lighter side of medium body, medium carbonation, crisp and clean on the tongue.

D: This is the second beer that I have had from Maine Beer and they are definitely setting the bar high! Another great beer, solid representation of the style. I could easily drink this one all day!

Jayli, May 10, 2010
4.15/5  rDev +1%

Poured from a 16 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

a - Pours a light amber color with two fingers of white head and moderate carbonation. Nice lacing.

s - Smells of citrus hops, caramel malts, bready malts, hints of pine. Nice balance.

t - Taste is light citrus, lemons, smooth bready malts, little pine. Very smooth.

m - Medium body and low carbonation. Very smooth.

d - This is a very drinkable beer. Very smooth and easy to drink. At 5.5% ABV I feel like I could drink a lot of these. Has a nice hop/malt balance in the smell and a nice citrus taste. Would have again.

mdfb79, May 03, 2010
4.45/5  rDev +8.3%

Great local that I've had many times and am just getting around to reviewing. 16oz bottle poured into a Maine Beer Company logo glass (mini chalice?)

A: Golden straw color, slightly cloudy. 1 finger white head, pretty good retention. Sporadic lacing throughout the glass

S: Big hop/pine nose. Accompanied by a surprisingly big grapefruit presence

T: The nose is a great preview for the taste. Very nice hop/citrus combo with a slight bitterness at the end. This is a big pale ale

M: Light bodied. Good bitter taste on the tongue which starts to fade just as I go for my next sip. Clean, crisp and dry finish

D: Like I said above, I've had this beer many times and it has not let me down yet. If you're in the area, pick up one (or several). One of the best pale ales I've had

Brez07, May 02, 2010
4.38/5  rDev +6.6%

This one shocked the hell out of me I have to admit. I was nowhere near expecting it to be as good as it was. Served cold and poured into a pint glass, I enjoyed this one while playing in the yard with the kids on 04/17/2010.

The pour was huge, bright golden amber and incredibly hazy and cloudy with tons of carbonation just ripping toward the surface. Immense white foam just leaps over the top of the glass, reaching a height of near three inches before finally settling down into a firm two fingers of head and rich lacing that lasted the entire session. Aroma is sharp citrus, lemon, orange, nice notes of grasses along with a great little hint of light bready malts providing some nice balance. Crisp, clean, near perfect flavor as the sharp and lightly tart notes of citrus work perfectly and are so well balanced I was amazed. Such a light, and easy drinking ale, I cannot believe how quickly this one snuck up on me. I could see myself drinking this for days all summer long, it was just that good.

Overall as solid as the day is long. I was really amazed with this one. Could not really say a bad thing about it and would look forward to trying it again anytime! Going to make me seek out a few more of their for sure.

mikesgroove, Apr 20, 2010
3.98/5  rDev -3.2%

Spring Peeper Ale pours a clear straw yellow color with a big, white meringue like head on top. The foam dissolves very slowly and leaves behind a netted pattern of lace on the glass. A flurry of tiny bubbles rises up to the surface.

The aroma is filled with notes of orange citrus and pine. Very nice.

Each sip of this light to medium boded beer is soft on the palate with mild carbonation and a dry finish. The flavor is hoppy with notes of orange and lemon citrus. Mild bitterness in the background. It finishes with some malty sweetness and a touch of bready yeast.

This is a tasty, easy drinking beer with lots of hop character, but not the bitterness like in an IPA.

WanderingFool, Apr 04, 2010
4.2/5  rDev +2.2%

This beer came recommended from Mike at Novare Res and when I was beer shopping at RSVP, lo and behold, they had some, so I grabbed a few bottles to bring home to PA.

Pours a nice clear orange color with a really massive, white, rocky head with mild carbonation. The foam clings to the glass like cotton candy.

Smell is very, very piney, orange citrus, and a little trace of cracker underneath. The aroma is dominated by pine and oranges. The nose reminds me of a West Coast style of ale, hoppy. I'm digging this.

The taste mimics what was detected in the nose. Starts out with orange sweetness up front before the pine settles in for the ride all the way to the end. There's a very light cracker-like malt underneath throughout. The pine and orange coat the mouth and the hop bitterness lasts for a few minutes.

Mouthfeel is light and crisp and drinkability runs very high.

Overall, Peeper is a really nice brew, I've never heard of this brewing company before and I'm glad Mike turned me on to them. The aroma mimics an IPA but drinks like an Ale and the crisp finish is very refreshing. ABV is below 6% and in the warm weather, I could quaff a few of these. A brew worth checking out.

jzeilinger, Mar 31, 2010
4.05/5  rDev -1.5%

Very nice local brewery, second time I've had this. Out of the bottle into a Portsmouth Pint

A - Cap pops and there is a massive foaming. Whoa! Didn't expect this. Pours with 3-4 fingers of head and rising. Once settled, the clear copper beer is left with a long lasting finger or two of fluffy white head.

s - Fresh hops. A wonderful piney nose of hops. It almost smells like an IPA than an APA. Heck, I thought it was an IPA til I came here. One of the better smelling beers I've had in a while. Very inviting.

T - The hop notes are up front and aggressive. An APA for the hop heads, for sure. There's a nice effervescence to it that accentuates the hop notes. There's also a mild sweetness in the finish that I enjoyed.

M / D - Spring Peeper leaves a somewhat metallic aftertaste that I wasn't a huge fan of. Not sure where I'm picking that up from. Between the two times I've drank this, I wish I had more than the bottle. Very drinkable, especially if you're hop-loving.

Spring Peeper is a good, sessionable hoppy APA. I can't get over how well it smells, and would love to crack one open when the weather gets a bit warmer.

mutterfudder, Mar 06, 2010
4.03/5  rDev -1.9%

500ml bottle provided by a great BA, Casey10. Served in a pint glass.

A: Finger of fluffy white foam lines the top of the glass. Slowly fades into a bubble strewn, splotchy spill. Is that a Bud Light in my glass? I'm thankful it's not, but it sure looks that way with is crisp, golden body.

S: Light floral hops mixed with sweet malts and toasted grains. That almost sounds like a cereal commercial. It's not, but that does sound fairly appetizing.

*note* Right before I wrote this next section, I poured the rest of the bottle into the glass. Apparently there was a LOT of yeast sediment. So much that it changed not only the appearance of the beer, but the taste/smell as well.

T: Initially this was a very crisp pale, with a good toasted/bready malt profile, and some floral hops, with some slight citrus hints. Most impressive was how balanced I found it to be. Once I added in the yeast, it added some fruity esters and still retained a nice hop kick on the finish. I enjoyed it either way.

M: Light-Medium bodied. For being a pale, this has a very nice viscosity to it. Very well carbonated, giving it a nice creamy feel.

D: An extremely sessionable Pale Ale that doesn't skimp on flavor. I could seem myself putting back quite a few of these at 5.5%. Next time I'd leave most of the yeast in the bottle as I think it drinks better that way, especially for multiple servings.

I'm usually not a big fan of Pale Ale's, but I found this beer to be quite tasty and refreshing. I'd love to try this beer fresh, as I think there would be more of a hop presence to it. Looking forward to more offerings from Maine Beer Co.!

heliosphann, Mar 05, 2010
4.15/5  rDev +1%

Thanks GrittyMug345 for the opportunity.

Pours a clear lemon gold with a ridiculous head. Half of my pint is taken with head on the first pour and I was going easy. Billowing, white, beautiful. Lasts forever. It would get a higher score but I want some room in my glass for beer.

Nice clear citrus nose. Light breadiness. Simple subtle flavor. Clean finish with a good bitterness. Carbonation is good and it's rather dry, which I like.

If I lived up that way I'd drink this pretty often. Since I'm a hippy and what not, the whole backstory definitely hooks me.

goatgoat, Feb 26, 2010
3.78/5  rDev -8%

pours burnished gold with a quick two finger head.

aroma is hoppy. very american, though a bit faint. typical notes of citrus, pine and flowers. pretty. a bit yeasty.

on the palate the beer is quite dry. there is little malt action and a bit of citric bitterness with some background soft yeasty notes. clean quick finish.

mouthfeel is a bit too crisp for me, but fine. could use a bit more body. carbonation is good and the hops are in check for a pale ale.

overall, a very easy beer to drink. like said, the malt could use a ramping-up and some more complexity but the style lends itself to gulping. nice beer.

beerbutcher, Feb 24, 2010
4.33/5  rDev +5.4%

Bottle thanks to Drazzamatazz.

Pours a cloudy straw color with two fingers of white head and nice retention.

Scent of sweet floral hops and with hints of citrus, butterscotch, wheat and soap. Not very hoppy, but entirely hop focused with a smooth maltiness to keep it in balance.

Taste of cereal, light bitter hops, grapefruit, and flowers. The upfront cereal flavor is strange, but welcome as the beer quickly opens up with a nice hop flavor. Each sip is an experience because the flavor starts malty, but finishes dry and bitter; it has the malt bill of an English Ale, but the hop profile of an American Pale Ale.

Mouthfeel is light bodied with a nice big, refreshing bite of carbonation, as would be expected from a beer with as much sediment in the bottle as this one.

paco1029384756, Feb 20, 2010
4.33/5  rDev +5.4%

Beer is a hazy amber with a think ivory head. Aroma is fresh and piney. Taste is similar. Piney hops. Crisp and a little grassy. A hint of grapefruit. Mouthfeel is very nice. Sturdy but not heavy. Very drinkable. All in all, an excellent beer. Bright, hoppy, spring-like goodness.

DoreenAndDave, Jan 19, 2010
4.7/5  rDev +14.4%

This is the best non-Allagash beer in the State. Smells like Spring in a fresh hop field. I'm drinking In Mid-Jan. so I assume its holding up exceptionally well at 5.5%. Granted, I did order it from Lion's Pride, a fine establishment, who know how to handle a beer. Great quality bottle too. Looks strong enough to handle my fall cider.

wwchamberlain, Jan 17, 2010
3.55/5  rDev -13.6%

1 pt bottle with a cool hand-drawn looking label. A couple of seconds after the crown was a popped a small white mushroom cap of foam creeps out the top. Poured into a tall Hobgoblin shaker pint, a tall white head jumps up and has good air time. Color is a pale yellow, but gets hazier as the yeast mixes in. Speaking of yeast, huge chunks of yeast proteins float around at all levels. Nearly impossible to decant.

Smell is a light grassy hops. There is a dry pale malt character around the edges. Taste is also quite grassy with a little pine and grain.

Mouthfeel is a little over carbonated, which is what I would expect from the head. There is a little texture from the yeast sediment. This is an OK pale ale

bort11, Jan 13, 2010
3.65/5  rDev -11.2%

Extremely active, murky/hazy, pale straw color. It's slowly foaming out the top of the bottle as I wait for the several inches of foam to fall from a few ounces of pour. Prodigious white fluffy head gradually falls enough to gently pour some more. The overfoam out of the bottle continues. At first I slurp it up, then I pour into a second glass, very gently. Yeasty goo is visible in the overfoam (I don't necessarily consider this a flaw, though it is uncommon). Leaves a ridiculous amount of lacing, early and throughout.

SMELL is weak at first and for a while. A swirl gets me some grassy, piny and citrus hops. This fades. Not much else. Later some light graininess. Much later this all improves and grows stronger, or the score would be lower.

TASTE Grassy, piny and light citrus hop flavors and an assertive hop bitterness lead. Grainy favor, with just a faint hint of malty sweetness emerge later. I find this quite hop forward for an APA, which is appreciated and ballsy. Bitterness lingers, and the finish is quite dry. In fact, the dryness is a defining feature of the taste.

FEEL Dry, plenty carbonated, and a medium/full body. Some lingering bitterness in the drying finish. Feels much bigger than it is..

OVERALL I like that this is bottle conditioned, and the bottle that I got, at least, will make sure that I will not be deprived of vitamin B-12 in the near future. But they've got some kinks to work out, as evidenced by the overfoam out of the bottle (not gushing, just a slow foam). I also appreciate the aggressive hopping, as I've had IPA's with much less hop profile. I feel it could use a bolder malt bill, which would help to balance the hops, and decrease the dominating dryness in the flavor and feel. That said, this is plenty easy drinking and tasty. I get a good vibe from the brewery, and I'm confident good things will come from it. I encourage all y'all to give 'em a try.

sprucetip, Jan 09, 2010
4.63/5  rDev +12.7%

Greeted with a nice loud pop, pssshhh when I cracked this one open. Poured from the 16oz bottle a beautiful cloudy straw yellow with tons of foamy white head. I gotta say, this has to be the most attractive, appetizing pale ales I've seen. Perfect color.

Tons of fresh hops in the nose. Floral, citrusy, piney, earthy, it's got it all goin on, with the citrus dominating. After the first smell you're expecting a blast of hops that doesn't happen. The hops are still a major player here, but some nice sweet malt balances the hops perfectly. I was initially disappointed about the hops not taking over the taste, but after a few sips I quickly started to really appreciate the balance.

The spring peeper ale has a dry, light mouthfeel. Noticeably lighter bodied than most pales out there, especially on the east coast. Everything comes together to form a very drinkable, enjoyable beer. Very nice effort from a small, local brewery. I'm looking forward to more bottled offerings from these guys.

dciBA, Jan 09, 2010
4.53/5  rDev +10.2%

Thanks to shaebs99 for a chance at trying this Maine delicacy!

A-Golden yellow with medium white head that retains well and leaves nice lace.

S-Light but fresh floral and citrus hops flow out of the mildly sweet biscuit malt base. About as fresh as taking hops off the vine, crushing them up in your hands and inhaling the intoxicating aroma.

T-Citrus and floral hop attack in a pleasurable, unassuming and inviting way---not in a tongue pounding way. Backing sweet biscuit malt doesn't overwhelm the hops but gives the body of work a nice balance. Very well done and delicious.

M-Medium-light bodied sharp, crisp, bright with good lingering hop bitterness.

D-Outstanding! For such a light bodied and low ABV brew this has all of the hop flavour even the most hard core hop head will love. Absolutely exquisite...a beer I could drink by the gallon! Certainly a beer that must be drank fresh but when it is...WOW! Most impressed with this beer from the tiny Maine Beer Company! Keep up the good work folks.

Deuane, Jan 09, 2010

Great pale ale. Just the right amount of hop, not bitter at all. The taste was exceptional, and the nose was even better - very floral and peppery, kind of earthy, green. Smooth mouthfeel. Great head. Absolutely delightful to smell and sip at the same time. Great combo.

HopsyBrown, Jan 07, 2010
4.18/5  rDev +1.7%

Thanks to FooFaa for sharing a 1pt. bottle from this little-known brewery in Maine. Enjoyed on 12/28/09.

A - Poured a cloudy, pale golden body with a sparse white patch on top that reduced to a thin ring and a bit of sticky lace.

S - Fresh, juicy hop aroma with lots of citrus zing. Simple yet quite pronounced and very pleasant.

T - I reckon one could confuse this as alcoholic orange juice with a jolt of lemon zest. Ultimately, Spring Peeper is a very citrus-forward pale ale that drinks much like a fresh hopped Harvest Ale.

M - Medium body with a syrupy texture and slight oily hop residue. Carbonation is quite subtle overall. Finishes with a moderate hop bitterness on the palate.

D - Really nice, fresh hopped ale with a juicy citrus character. I'll be on the lookout for more stuff from Maine Beer Company.

ffejherb, Dec 31, 2009
4.05/5  rDev -1.5%

A visually perfect beer. In an imperial pint glass it was a hazy straw color, nicely carbonated, with a thick white head. The head showed good persistance, and left a wall of lace down the side of the glass while I drank. It had a sweet floral aroma. Mostly a pine taste, maybe a little citrus, and peppery. A wonderful beer, very drinkable.

lordofthewiens, Dec 30, 2009
4.05/5  rDev -1.5%

A- Pours a golden straw with huge white head even when poured gently. Head settles quickly and leaves some great lacing. Lots of sediment in the bottle kept me from pouring more then half of this bottle.... Will let this settle while i drink the first half.
S- Smells of lots of american C-hops, maybe some amarillo as well. Amazing hop aroma for an APA, better then a lot of IPA's. Some, but not much, malts in the smell as well.
T- This is a very hop forward APA. Piney hops, some malts and yeast dominate the taste. Not a lot of sweetness to balance out the hop flavor, but that's ok with me.
M- Lots of carbonation in this one makes it a bit overwhelming. Once the carbonation dies down a bit it is a lot easier to drink and pick up the flavors. Very dry finish.
D- This one is a little overcarbonated but otherwise a great APA. I also really like the 16 oz bottle, I wish more US breweries would use these bottles. Overall a great beer.

nkersten, Dec 12, 2009
4.33/5  rDev +5.4%

Much thanks to joepais for this bottle.

Poured from the bottle a cloudy light yellow with a huge rocky white head. Lots of sediment at the bottom of the bottle. Lacing is quite sticky.

The aroma is earthy with a nice medley of floral hops and light lemon.

The taste is nice and floral along with a yeasty bite and light grain. Finishes clean.

Lighter bodied with a fizzy carbonation.

This is a very nice APA indeed. A must try.

Monkeyknife, Dec 06, 2009