Zoe - Maine Beer Company

Maine Beer Company visit their website
Maine, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  7.20% ABV

Beer added by: deltatauhobbit on 12-03-2009

Our take on an American amber ale. Complex malt bill delivers notes of dark raisin, chocolate and biscuit. Copious additions of American hops yield notes of pine and citrus.
Ratings: 2,142 | Reviews: 545

A spectacular beer! Extremely hoppy and bitter - I've never tasted a Pliny The Elder but have made one - Zoe is on par with Pliny, and Sierra Torpedo. Great malty backbone and perfect head. Nice hoppy smell, perhaps it's been dry-hopped. I look forward to trying the rest of the Maine Beer Company's bombers!

4.97/5  rDev +18.3%

I found a bottle at Global Warehouse in Ellsworth. It poured a deep dark brown - slightly unfiltered. The smell was citrus and balsam. Very nice. The taste was similar to smell - and it left a pleasant aftertaste. Nice head that left lacing along the glass as I drank. I am very pleased with this - I persoanlly believe the ABV is too high at 7.2 - but I was not tasting alcohol. Well balanced. Excellent beer

4.95/5  rDev +17.9%

03/22/11 - fresh fresh, bottled 03/10/11

16.9oz to pint glass

A: Pours a rich dark brown with reddish hue (dark sienna) with huge, dense, 3 finger seafoam colored head. I grew impatient as I waited for this thing to lay down. Sticky lace paints the sides of the glass as if it was sponged on.

S: Wow. Power waft of hops upon first crack of bottle and the glass proved just as impressive. This smells fucking delicious. Smooth bold hops smell liike sweet, sugary, candied spruce, pineapple, orange and lemon - all of this riding high atop a beautiful caramel maltiness. Superb. Damn this nice.

T: Happy things going on here: A healthy, borderline IPA, dose of piney evergreen-like hops complemented by a solid caramel and nutty backbone of malt goodness with a orange / grapefruit sweetness reappearing mid sip and riding thru the finish. This should be a popsicle flavor, damn this is good.

M: Medium, super creamy, nice slighty sweet and bitter hard water finish. Like a sweetened wet pale ale. End of one sip is an almost perfect seque into the next.

O: Sleek bottle, clean simple label, and every aspect of the the beer itself is spot on tight. These guys only have 2 brews and both are simply fantastic. Highly recommended, this is superb drinking. The best amber I've ever had; I'll buy it each time I see it. I love this beer.

I'm thoroughly impressed - count me in, I am a fan.

4.92/5  rDev +17.1%

8/18/11 bottle
A: darker reddish brown. Very dark for an amber.
S: grassy, earthy, and a hint of caramel towards the end
T: sweet caramel initially with a hint of toffee ending with grapefruit and other citrus.
M: very light, watery, yet creamy
O: wish I had gotten to this earlier to get more of the hop notes but it's still delicious. Definitely worth a try. This beer made me a fan of ambers.

4.87/5  rDev +16%

Poured from a cellar temperature bottle into a Maine Beer Company logo glass. The beer has a very dark amber color; it looks nearly brown in this dimly lit room. The head is large, tan colored, and made up of various sizes of bubbles. There is some patchy lacing. The aroma is very impressive. One whiff and I exclaimed aloud "wow!" It smells of very fresh hops. There is almost a toasted quality to the hops that I haven't come across before. The bottle I have is super-fresh (bought today, delivered to the store earlier in the week, most likely bottled late last week), which must improve the aroma a lot. The flavor is just as impressive as the aroma; actually, I find it to be even more complex. It started out with a toasted flavor. It makes me imagine burnt embers leftover after a campfire. The hops kick in quickly. They are big, bitter and floral. The bitterness lends itself to the toasted aroma and initial flavor, perfectly complimenting the aroma. The is just a bit of sweetness in the mix. It lingers on, along with the bitterness, but last longer, which gives the sensation that the beer gets sweeter after you swallow it. After a few sips, the sides of my mouth felt a slight tug. The bitterness provides the slightest amount of puckering. The beer has a lighter body than I expected. There is plenty of carbonation in each swallow. As I mentioned above, the sweetness lingers on; this is through the coating. The beer goes down so easily. I can feel its strength slightly; after a few rounds this may become a problem. I don't believe that the hops/bitter tastes will ever get overpowering. I could drink this beer all night. I feel so lucky that this beer is brewed and sold so close by. Maine Beer Company have outdone themselves.

4.85/5  rDev +15.5%

Probably my favorite local brew and one of my favorites overall. Kinda sucks the distribution is so limited... oh well.

A: Pours a muck brown that leaves lacing down with every sip

S: Smells like an extremely hopped red ale... what more can I say?

T: Pretty much the same as the smell, definitely hoppy with a good malt finish

M: Not too carbonated, perfect

D: At 7.2%, this is one beer that I cannot get enough of... until I almost pass out of course

4.84/5  rDev +15.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

I had this pretty fresh. The side of the bottle has a date of 5/7/13.

The beer pours out with a huge tight thick off white head in a very deep red. Almost brownish with how deeply dark red it is. Mahoghany. The aroma is huge and hoppy. Reminds me of a brighter Nugget Nectar, almost like an IPA. It has huge fresh hops, grapefruit, sweet sweet berries, huge sweet fresh mangoes and pineapples. Tropical, very sticky sticky sweet, but along with some pine and resin. There’s also a sweet caramel malt in there. One of the best aromas of a hoppy beer.

The flavor is almost like an IPA. At the front, you get a gentle malt and breadiness, then you’re hit with an herbal or earthy tone. Then the middle and finish has this longing bitterness that is slightly of grapefruit, but also has big earthy qualities. This beer slightly reminds me of Resin because of the deep resin and tea-like flavors.

As I continue having this beer and it warms up slightly, the earthy qualities die down a bit and I get bigger bready malt.

It’s an extremely complex beer. I would say this almost leans on being an IPA because of the lack of that sweet crystal malt. Definitely my favorite beer in the category, much more than Nugget Nectar. Then again, at $8.99 a bottle, I wouldn’t get this too frequently. A must try though.

4.83/5  rDev +15%

Lot 042811
Pours an orange-brown color that is somewhat hazy. Full light tan frothy head.

The smell has a nice fresh flowery hoppy scent. Also smell the red with a caramel sweet nose that's also got some milk chocolate aromas. Citrus characters like an ipa.

After an initial hop spiciness theres a sweet malt flavor. Theres a crisp bitter finish. More dark flavors than the scent gave away. Some coffee, roasted, chocolate, caramel flavors. Letting these flavors linger on the tongue let them meld together and the aftertaste is so good. Pretty decent hop backbone even when the malt comes through. This at some points reminded me of a good dipa. Had citrus characters.

Very smooth carbonation and easy to drink. Medium body. Solid.

Overall, this is what I want an american amber to be. Definitely delicious. I kept trying to tell myself this is not as good as I think, but it is. Will be buying more. Probably all the time. One of my favorites

4.83/5  rDev +15%

First couple sips are all hops (not a bad thing) slowly gives way to a rich smooth maltiness with the hops in the background. Mouthfeel is so smooth and creamy. Could have it every day. Beautiful winter beer.

4.8/5  rDev +14.3%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

A- Dark reddish-brown in color. poured the entire bottle into the glass which was a mistake, as all the sediment ended up in my container. despite this it did not look unappealing.

S- Sweet aroma to this beer. Smelled like caramel or syrup to me.

T- Also sweet. Slight woody (pine) flavor. Caramel also was a strong part of this beer's overall flavor. Compared favorably with Harpoon's Leviathan Uber-Bock.

M- Medium in texture. Not watery or syrupy. Sort of a just right scenario.

O- I highly recommend this beer. I was thrilled by how it tasted and all of its other characteristics were favorable.

4.8/5  rDev +14.3%

Acquired from svosie, so a big "Thank You" goes out to her. Poured from a 16.9oz bottle into a mug glass.

A: The beer is a dark reddish brown color, with a short off-white head that fades slowly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is full of floral hops and fruity citrus along with caramelized malts.

T: The taste starts out with a strong burst of grassy hops that quickly transitions into a very complementary citrus and caramel sweetness. The malt character is hearty but not too heavy and provides an excellent balance. The after-taste is slightly hoppy and slightly sweet.

M: Crisp and very smooth, medium body, medium carbonation, finish is slightly sticky.

D: Very tasty and flavorful, goes down quite easily, not too filling, good kick, very good representation of style, this is an excellent beer with a lot of flavor and substance that make great drink for an entire evening.

4.8/5  rDev +14.3%

A: pour mahogany. Nice thick creamy head. Minimal lacing.

S: heavy hops and malt. Caramel.

T: awesome hippiness to this bad boy. Some bread and caramel notes. Hop finish is great. Really impressive.

M: crisp, refreshing. Goes down well.

O: Good, solid beer.

4.78/5  rDev +13.8%

22 ox botle int pint glass
A- deep reddish amber, nice large whit ehead stays for a bit
S - nutty and malty
T - the perfect amber ale, very nutty, whit a little hoppy bite
M - crisp and clean
O- perfect amber ale, I never find them super enjoyable, but this is such an excellnt beer

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

L: Pours brilliant chestnut under a 3” cream to light tan colored persistent foam collar that hugs the side of the glass.
S: Earthy, citrusy, spicy hop aromas, light toast, faint chocolate.
T: A rich malt palate starts slightly sweet and then dries out on the finish. Biscuit, nuts, raisin, a little anise to horehound, and traces of chocolate and espresso give dimension to the flavor. A citrus rind bitter accent on the finish.
F: The carbonation if very soft nd creamy, slightly low, the body is medium.
O: A richly textured amber ale with big malt and hop flavors.One of the better ones out there.

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Got this beer dated "102513" and drank it yesterday. Served in a tulip.

Appearance: Just gorgeous chestnut brown color with 3 finger head that doesn't go away. Head has pillow texture.

Smell: Big citrus, pine, grapefruit, touch of malt, some orange, oil.

Taste: head felt like a pillow, IPA characteristics, biscuit, oily, slight raisin note

Mouthfeel: super smooth although at the end, the alcohol kicks you. Definite IPA bitterness.

Overall: Excellent beer and would definitely drink again. Felt more like a classic IPA with some extra malt character for balance. Another great beer from Maine Beer Company!

4.75/5  rDev +13.1%

Brought back from Maine after an amazing weekend in Acadia National Park.

A- Very dark red with a white head. The cap has great retention and leaves a very thick coat of massive lace. A thick pillow stays atop the beer

S- Amazingly fresh hop bomb. Tons of tropical fruit, citrus fruit and floral notes. Reminds me of Sculpin, HopSlam... etc. Very great use of hops. Slight malt in the background to balance but it doesn't even matter with such good hop aroma.

T- More malty than aroma but the hops still shine. Great tropical fruit, citrus zest, floral hints and some pine. Slight caramel and toasty bready malt. Even a bit of mint.

MF- Very smooth I would say. The body is on the lighter end with lower carbonation but somehow doesn't feel watery. Lower end bitterness lets the hop flavor really shine.

DB- I am glad I picked this one up. Tastes like a pile of wet, fresh hops. Probably the best Amber Ale I have ever had. I know where I am going to stop in Maine whenever I visit. Comparable to any great IPA as far as hop flavor goes. The body, flavor and bitterness level make this one dangerously drinkable.

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A- Beautiful pillowy head that refuses to go away sits atop a perfect brownish amber ale. Remarkably unable to see through this ale, minimal effervescence with the exception of the exquisite foam at the top.

S- I'm getting some caramel to go along with citrus notes. Really nice yeasty bread notes as well.

T- This ale makes you want to chug a 7.2% ABV and go looking for more. This is smooth and there is no astringency whatsoever. All of the smell is present in the taste in perfect proportions.

M- Love this mouthfeel because of how smooth it is. Perfect balance between sweet and bitter keeps sending you back for another sip.

O- This is my first Maine Beer Company beer and it certainly won't be my last. I didn't get a hold of this until 3 months after it's brew date and it's still one of the best ales I've had. I was told that "Lunch" IPA is even better, if that's the case I will be amazed.

4.72/5  rDev +12.4%

S: Bold pine and sap resin, touch of woodiness, very fruity.

L: Hazy brown, dense creamy light tan head, good retention.

T: Smooth piney sweet sappy malt. Touch of caramel undertones. Smooth medium bitterness leads to a candy semi-sweet finish with just a touch of hop resin.

M: Medium-low carbonation, medium-full body, very smooth.

This is an amazing beer, blew me away. Nose is similar to nugget nectar but a more "pine" like profile. Lighter in sweetness than NN and light overall, but unbelievable creamy smooth on the mouthfeel. Definitely try this beer.

4.72/5  rDev +12.4%

A: Pours into a large two finger head that really holds strong, dark amber brown, slightly red when held up to light.

S: Huge malt, biscuit, maybe some black pepper, hops are certainly present

T+M: Wow thats good.. great carbonation and body, intense malt sweetness up front with some dark fruit, biscuit, honey.. awesomely hoppy but more of a lingering hop finish. Dangerously easy to drink it seems

This beer rules I'll be getting some more for sure

4.7/5  rDev +11.9%

pours an almost opaque mahogany with a generously sized fluffy, light tan head that sticks around a while and laces very well.

wow. pine. a touch of caramel underlies the huge hop aroma that is dominated by the pine, but also brings in some spruce, tree sap, woody, earthy, with some bitter citrus behind that. a hop onslaught, that doesn't quite lose its amber identity.

hoppy aroma even attacks the palate as I sip, and the flavor starts bitter, then a caramel and toasted malt sweetness takes over before a peppery, spicy, and piney hop flavor again takes over. finishes with juicy and resiny hops and some citrus juice that lingers pleasantly.

delicate medium body with ample carbonation and a juicy finish that is thirst quenching.

wow. a tremendous beer. not extreme, but everything is just beautifully crafted, and though it is extremely hoppy, its not too bitter and the hops don't overtake the amber qualities that add some balance and make this extremely drinkable.
___
a year later and I've picked this beer up every single time I've been in a store and it's been less than 2 months old. One of my favorites of all time.

4.68/5  rDev +11.4%

Poured from a 16.90z bottle into a 20oz imperial pint. Thanks to Jayli for this from our recent trade!

A: Pours a dark, rusty brown. An easy pour netted about three fingers of khaki cream. Literlly, the foam looked like cream. Retention was awesome as was the lace left behind. i followed my instincts and swirled and poured the black sediment left in the bottom of the glass. This got me an even creamier head (if that's even possible) and a slowly cascading chocolate milk colored body.

S: Heavenly aroma of pine, pineapple, and citrus hops. Incredible! Excellent malt backbone, as well, with notes of cocoa and caramel.

T: Pretty much just as above with the addition of a bit of peppery/spicy yeast. Fresh-assed hops and a perfectly countered bready maltiness really assert themselves. As it warmed I really noticed a sort of rye malt tang.

M: Tangy fruit hops and spicy/peppery yeast work in perfect harmony with the slightly sweet and savory malt backbone. The perfect dose of prickly astringency reigns it all in and left me with a white pepper tingle that played for ages on my tongue.

D: So. Scarily. Great. I'd love it if this was one of my "locals". I could drink this all day.

4.68/5  rDev +11.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Not usually an amber fan, but I do like this one.

Into a pint glass:

A: very dark red colored body with some light brown edges. A small white head appeared for less than a minute. The lacing was light and stuck together for a good minute. It took about a minute before it spider-webbed.

S: hops and caramel, some pine and citrus enter in on the background. It was mainly well-balanced.

T: bittersweet through the hops and caramel, some light spiciness came out through the hops. The pine was really light.

M: medium with a well balanced carbonation slightly felt, it was slightly creamy and had a dry finish.

O: this was a great beer. My expectations were moderate when I think I was way more surprised how well this beer turned out. I would get this again in a heartbeat.

4.67/5  rDev +11.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

This was the first beer I had the pleasure of drinking... its been fun every time I visit Massachusetts to drink more Maine Beers!

4.67/5  rDev +11.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Pretty much the best Amber Ale I've ever had. It is hopped up but only in a way that makes it better, not to just make it hoppy. Highly recommended

Zoe from Maine Beer Company