Join our email list →

Maine Beer Company
Maine, United States | website

American Amber / Red Ale | 7.20% ABV

Beer added by: deltatauhobbit on 12-03-2009

Our take on an American amber ale. Complex malt bill delivers notes of dark raisin, chocolate and biscuit. Copious additions of American hops yield notes of pine and citrus.
Reviews: 565 | Hads: 2,293
4.13/5  rDev -1.4%

A - Pours a unique mahogany-brown, relatively opaque. A slight red-brown on the edges. About two fingers of light tan head that retained well. Very nice.

S - A lot going on in the nose here. Fairly big hoppiness, caramel, brown sugar, and coffee hints.

T - Slightly sweet toasty and caramel malts in the front. Strong malt backbone. Roastiness as well. Hoppiness comes in with some earthy roasty bitterness and extends into the finish. Lots of nutty flavors towards the finish.

MF - Smooth. Moderate hop bite and a little past medium on the body scale. Slightly watery in the front somehow however.

O - A solid brew. More like a hoppy earthy brown than an amber. A bit pricy, but oh well! Got way more caramel / nutty / earthy than some other users, not sure how.

Blind Beer #12 from Khazadum

16oz? bottle pops with a nice hiss and blast of dank, piny hops.

Into a pint glass it goes, per the blind label. that is NOT the color I was expecting. Pours a dark amber or light maple syrup color with a monstrous four-finger head. The cream-colored pillow seems to just want to hang out with me a while; it just sits there and dissipates, bubble by bubble. As I drink, there are some hints of lace apparent on the glass sides.

Nose still dominated by some big hop aroma: resin and weed just permeate my nostrils. I think there's some nuttiness hidden in there, but this is a hop-forward beer, despite its perplexing color. I really have no idea what to think before diving in...Later I do get some subtle caramel, but barely.

What the hell am I drinking!?!?! My mind is so confused right now. The first sip is so much sweeter than I expected. There's a little caramel and definite roasted nuts, but after a few sips this gives way to a well-balanced bitter hop finish. I get no roasted malt on the back end, so this comes striaght from hop IBUs. What a confusing beer...

Despite its huge frothy hat, there's virtually no carbonation as I drink. I feel like I'm drinking out of a firkin and I like it. Pretty clean around the mouth, but there's a slight lingering slickness on the top of my moth that just won't go away no matter what I do.

Well balanced, and the palate makes the beer incredibly drinkable. I think there's some heat, so we might be looking at like 7.5%, but it still goes down quickly.

At this point, I'm incredibly confused. i'd think something like an imperial amber, or a super dry-hopped india brown ale. I think this is the most perplexing blind beer I've had to date. Not to mention, the unique shaped bottle is confusing me even more.

4.12/5  rDev -1.7%

Big thanks goes out to Drazzamatazz for this beer from the Nice Cans III BIF. 16oz into a NB Globe.

A: Pours a deep red/brown color with a half inch of off white head that fades into a nice cap of bubbles. Lots of lacing left all over the edges of the glass. Slightly cloudy.

S: Lots of citrus hop smells, with some caramel malt and a little bit of roasted malt as well in there. A touch of coffee in there as well. Really a lot of resiny citrusy hops though. Awesome.

T: A lot going on here, citrusy hops and coffee at the same time. Really a nice malt profile, caramel, roasted malts that even border on burnt. Tons of resinous hop flavors, citrus and pine. Excellent bitterness that ties everything together on the finish. Tasty!

M: Medium body, perfect carbonation, finishes about right, not too dry not too sweet. Really nice here.

O: Very enjoyable amber ale, smells great, tastes great and works really well for me. Very enjoyable beer. I really wish this was something I could get regularly, nice beer here!

The story:
I recently went on a trip to New England and ended up at Maine Brewing after checking out the nearby Allagash Brewery. After hearing about Maine Brewing (and scoring a brew - peeper ale) from locals I had to check this place out. I was initially bummed to see they were not open yet (new upgraded brewery location) but decided to take a picture next to the sign out front. Oddly enough one of the owners happened to be there and came out and invited me in(despite them still being under construction) What a nice guy! He showed my lady and I around the brewery and hung out with us for a while. After a cool chat and a private tour, he sent us on our way with a free bottle of Zoe! Very cool.
The beer:
Pours an amber/ruby color with a smal white head.
The aroma is amazing. Smells of fresh citrusy hops.
This brew tastes delicious. A lot of citrus/floral hop flavors and a nice amount of caramel malt flavors to balance.
The mouthfeel is pretty good, nice carbonation and a bit of a dry hop finish. Not as bitter as the aroma would make you think.
Overall a great hoppy amber ale, very drinkable, very hopilicious. Probably the best amber I've had yet. I wish I lived closer, because I would buy tons of this beer.

4.12/5  rDev -1.7%

Bottled on 11/4/12. Consumed on 12/27/12.

A: Poured into a Sam Smith's Imperial pint glass. First impression is the active carbonation. Body is murky chestnut/amber with some mahogany edges when backlit. A two-finger beige head settles on top, retaining well to leave behind thick rings of lace.

S: Good nose for a big, hoppy amber: caramel malt and chocolate malt are followed by a piney hoppy bitterness.

T: Caramel and bready malt followed by piney, citrusy hop bitterness. Lingering taste of pine needles leaves a nice bitter taste offsetting the malt up front.

M: Heft is lighter than expected - about medium, maybe a tad bit lighter. Carbonation is active and fizzy.

O: Very good. Not as good as Lunch (the other Maine Beer I've had), but certainly solid stuff.

4.12/5  rDev -1.7%

I picked up a bottle of this in western Mass.

Appearance is amber with a 1 finger white head and quite a bit of lacing. The smell is a mix of piney hops, caramel, toffee and malts. Zoe tastes rather hoppy, some citrus, most evidently from an orange, some roasted malts and pine. MF is medium with a finish that is fairly dry. Looking forward to enjoying more beers from Main Beer in the future.

4.12/5  rDev -1.7%

Poured from a 16 oz bottle into a Half Acre tulip.

A- pours a very dark ruby with a huge 3" tan head. Small waves of lacing remain on the glass.

S- toast, lots of citrus (grapefruit, pineapple) and some pine.

T- toasted amber malts, some spicyness, citrus is there but to as prevalent as the nose. Nice spicy, pine bitterness.

M- medium body and carbonation. Some creaminess and a semi dry finish.

O- good beer. Wish the citrus came through more in the tast as it does in tha aroma, but still a very good amber.

4.12/5  rDev -1.7%

A: This poured a hazy mahogany with lots of light tan head.
S: It smelled like citrus zest and candied apricot, with some copper hops and wild clover honey.
T: It tasted like sweet wild clover honey and candied apricot, with bitter citrus zest and copper hops. It had a clean and lasting bittersweet aftertaste.
M: It was fairly thick with moderate carbonation. Nice full body.
D: This was a nice brew with very enjoyable scent and taste. The body was solid, but the finish was harsher than expected, so it was not super easy to drink. A rewarding drink, but not as delicious as, say, Mouflan.

4.11/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

this is a very pretty beer. but I was a bit underwhelmed with both the smell and the taste. after having MO, I had high expectations of this beer. not that it is a bad beer in any way, just that there are cheaper easier to get red ales that are just as good or better. its worth trying, I just wouldn't seek it out.

look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

The color is a murky and opaque caramel. Great head, retention, and webbed lacing.

The nose has a heavy malt presence. Bready and slightly sweet. Herbal and pine hops.

Good balance of the bready malt, pine, and herbal flavor. Peach iced tea.

Chewy mouthfeel with heft.

A real nice hoppy red. I appreciate the assertive hops while keeping balance.

4.11/5  rDev -1.9%

Appearance: pours a dark cloudy brown color with a one finger head. Moderate lacing develops.

Smell: pine and grapefruit dominate.

Taste: decent malt level here with some pine, grapefruit, prunes, and a spicy yeast flavor. Bitterness is sharp but provides some nice balancing here.

Mouthfeel: medium bodied. Crisp to start, less crisp at the finish. Short lived aftertaste.

Overall: this beer had a nice flavor profile and was very easy to consume. Worthy of a try by anyone who likes the style.

4.11/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

A: Hazy walnut amber with an antique paper colored head.

S: Cascade and centennial hop notes with notes of citrus and pineapple.

T: First notes of blueberry, citrus floral hops and blackberry jam. Secondary flavors of chocolate and crystal malts. Dry finish with a reoccurring blueberry notes.

M: Moderate body with medium level carbonation. Hoppy with little alcohol ether presence.

O: A good beer, needs to sit in the glass for a bit and warm to room temperature before all the intricacies come out. Perhaps a bit overpriced but worth a try at least once. I really like Maine Brewing Company.

4.11/5  rDev -1.9%

500 mL bottle poured into a pint glass at cellar temperature.

L - Deep amber color with a 4-finger pillowy tan head. Nice retention but not really any lacing until I started nearing the end of my glass. Slightly hazy with a good amount of bubbles from what I can see.

S - Toasted and caramel malts with grapefruit, grassy, and floral hop aromas. A faint hint of maple syrup in here, as well. Well-balanced between the malt and hops.

T - Starts with a big sweet caramel and toasted malt presence and builds to a bitter hop taste with grapefruit, orange, and earthy notes. The two flavors are somewhat separated between the start and the finish, but they are equally balanced in intensity.

F - Medium-bodied with pretty good carbonation, a sticky and chewy mouthfeel, and a moderately bitter and dry finish. Grapefruit bitterness lingers for a nice amount of time. The alcohol is very well-hidden, as there’s not really any sign of it.

O - This is a very well-done amber ale. The malt and hops are perfectly balanced in the aroma and the taste, and it has a great mouthfeel. One of my only complaints is the lack of clarity, but it doesn’t diminish from the rest of the beer. This is a tasty, very drinkable beer that I’m glad I got to try. Next time I come back home to Massachusetts, I’ll look for more Maine Beer Co. beers.

4.11/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Bottled June 3rd. Wish I drank this a little fresher :/

A: Pours a beautiful deep red color with a 2 inch head. Excellent lacing. I'd say they nailed what the appearance of a red ale should look like.

S: Well I have a bit of a cold right now so I'm not smelling this perfectly, but I'm getting some dark fruit and a good amount of hops.

T: First take on this is wow! what a hop punch. As it continues to hit the palate you get an impressive malt bill in which I get some plum and caramel sweetness. The finish has the hops and malt fade out in harmony - good balance! A lot of complexity in this beer.

M: Medium bodied with a dry finish that has a bit of a lingering hop bitterness to it.

O: Maine Beer Co. nailed it with this as they usually do. This isn't too common around my area but I'm sure that when I see it again fresh I'll pick up another bottle. Try this!

Side note: I paired this with some sausage and eggplant parm and though I don't usually like mixing beer and food, it was great together.

4.11/5  rDev -1.9%

$7.99 for 25oz. Poured into a chalice. Bottled on 6/4/13. Approximately 1.5 months old when this review was written.

A great amber. An above average IPA.

A – Pours a dark amber, almost brown in color, clear, huge 3-finger rocky light tan head. Excellent lacing.

S – Sweet grapefruit, with some spiciness.

T – A malty backbone is evident but not so excessive that it hides the hoppiness of this beer. A slight sweetness. Resinous, somewhat herbal bitterness kicks in halfway through the taste. Some faint dark fruit/raisin. I could detect no chocolate as the brewer suggests.

MF – Well carbonated, medium bodied. Starts smooth and finishes dry with a lasting bitterness.

look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Type: 500ml (16.9-oz.) bottle
Glass: Firestone pint glass
From: Eddy’s Beverage Inc. in Saratoga Springs, N.Y.
Price: $6.99
Purchased: July 14, 2015
Consumed: July 18, 2015
Misc.: Born on April 28, 2015

Poured a caramel, reddish amber, semi-clear color with a whopping seven fingers of khaki tan, frothy head. A few light bubble streams coming up from the bottom of the glass. Good amount of thick, layered foamy lacing on the sides of the glass. Great retention on the top. (Sight - 3.75)

Smelled a pleasant whiff of hops and malts. Getting wet Cascade, rye, sugary iced tea powder, sticky toffee, caramel, dry roasty notes, chocolate covered orange candy, dark fruits, faint cooked vegetables and some Citra zest. (Smell - 4.00)

Taste follows the nose nicely. Got the nice mix of hops and malts again. Wet Cascade, earthy rye, powdery iced tea mix, toffee, dark fruits, roasted nuts, caramel, toasty biscuit and still that chocolate covered orange candy (one of the See’s Candy). Really good for the style. (Taste - 4.25)

Medium body. Creamy texture. Average carbonation. Long finish. (Feel - 4.25)

I really liked this beer. This was all over the place for me, especially the taste and feel. Really good for the style. Wouldn’t be as high if it was an IPA (imperial IPA). (Overall - 4.00)

4.11 | 92 | A-

4.11/5  rDev -1.9%

Let me first say wow. This is without a doubt one of the most exemplary amber ales I've had the pleasure of tasting, though probably one of the least representative of what the style "should" be.

Pours a very dark, very nearly opaque coffee color with a rich but quickly diffused dark buttercream-colored head. Very unusual for an amber. If you had simply given me an already-poured pint of this I would have pegged it as a stout simply by sight. Lacing is great but not as defined as I'd like (basically, there's no record of each sip you've taken on the glass).

The nose is at first all piney and citrusy hops, though upon further smelling there's a little chocolate with perhaps some other kind of earthiness there. Hard to peg down. Not the most complex bouquet but definitely full enough of delicious hops to warrant the above grade.

T - pine, citrus, oak, chocolate, tart fruit...

Taste and mouthfeel are incredibly clean and smooth, with medium carbonation and a rather shocking amount of hop taste up front for an amber ale, though with low bitterness. MBC really let the citrusy-piney character of the hops come out while maintaining a fairly low IBU (IMO, the only thing that keeps me from calling this a pale ale or a hoppy ESB). There's a hint of some sort of fruit too--possibly apple or tart cherry? There's also a large amount of wood, I'd say oak. The aftertaste is of hops with an undertone of chocolate or coffee, hard to tell because it's only barely there. The malts here are somewhat of non-players in that they attempt to balance out the hops but don't quiiite get the job done, though it doesn't really detract from how much I'm enjoying this ale.

Based on my preferences I would give this ale a 5 on taste but I've definitely tasted more complexity in beers before, hence the 4.

Overall, a very drinkable beer too despite the 7% ABV. I've ordered myself a case and my guess is that it won't last too long!

Do yourself a favor and check this one out. It's worth it. If you are a fan of West Coast style ambers, pales, etc, you'll dig this, and the bottle is great.

4.1/5  rDev -2.1%

MasterSki was nice enough to share this one. thanks alex!

500ml bottle. sampled june 26/2010.

pours deep red, nearly brown but crystal clear with a big dark tan head. the head drops slowly and leaves tons of thick lace.

aroma is good. grapefruit and pine. light orange and tangerine. light alcohol. wheat bread. biscuit. slightly powdery hops.

taste is nice. much of the same things noted in the aroma, but a bit more subdued. medium bitterness level. definitely more hoppy than most ambers.

mouthfeel is good. medium body. just under medium carbonation level.

drinkability is nice. pretty well balanced. nice hop profile with a decent body to back it up. this "hoppy amber" was quite nice.

Drank from a 1 pint .9 fl. oz. bottle
Served in a pint glass
Thanks to celticfutblclub for hooking me up with this.

Deep, dark crimson-mahogany and slightly hazy in appearance. The liquid was topped by a near three-finger crop of tight, creamy, light tan foam. Large, splotchy blocks of lacing coated the glass.

Fruity hops came through strong in the nose. Candied orange peel was most apparent. Subtle, tropical fruit notes were noticeable as well. I definitely picked up some mango. The hops were matched by a rich, biscuity, caramel maltiness. The sweet malts seemed to intensify as the beer warmed.

The flavor profile was crisp and quite hoppy. Definitely more bitter than the nose would indicate. Biscuity malts appeared on the front end before the hops took ever. Strong notes of orange peel. Some ruby red grapefruit. Slightly spicy. The finish was dry and bitter. Grapefruit rind and pine sap came through strong and left me longing for the next sip. As the beer warmed, the flavor profile became sweeter and more mellow. The hops gave way to the rich, biscuity malts. At 7.2% ABV, this beer hid its alcohol prowess remarkably well.

The mouthfeel was somewhat distracting initially. It was light and frothy with a zippy, large bubbled effervescence. As the beer sat, the carbonation settled down and the beer turned smoother and creamier.

I really enjoyed this beer but was disappointed that that the intense, fruity hoppiness seemed to fade as the liquid warmed. To those of you who plan on drinking this, I would recommend doing so quickly (and rather cold) in order to enjoy all of its hoppy glory.

4.1/5  rDev -2.1%

Pouring into a Sam Smith imperial pint glass revealed a dark amber ale with a hughe 4cm lt tan head. Remarkable retention and splotchy lacing.

Aroma: Hops were real strong upfront; piney and grassy in a good way. Could pick up some malty undertones, but the hops are pretty assertive.

Mouthfeel/taste: Full bodied with enough carbonation to enhance the hop bitterness leading to smooth yet crisp feel. Malty characteristics much stronger, with a chewy feel. Caramel and roasted notes definatly there. While hops aren't as strong in this regards they do offer a nice orange-grapfruit zest which balances out the sweetness really well.

Overall: This was a really balanced ale with a lot of complexity and great drinkablity. It is a pricey at 6.50 and I wont't be buying another, but definatly worth the chance to try it.

4.1/5  rDev -2.1%

Bottle. Pours fairly hazy red color with an offwhite 1 finger head. W-O-W, this has a really hoppy aroma that I really like. Really strong notes of citrus, spice, and floral notes. Some tatent nuttiness in the nose as well. Very creamy medium/light mouthfeel. Slightly sweet up front that quickly transitions to anice strong citrus rind hop taste that builds in strength and remains well after the beer is gone from your mouth. The floral hops really come through as well in the aftertaste. Some bitterness in the end as well. If I was told this was an IPA I honestly would believe you.

4.1/5  rDev -2.1%

500ml bottle: This one pours a clear, very dark amber color. There was a bit of a tan head on it, that lingered awhile and left some lacing. Nice nose! Lots of citrus, pine and malts. The taste is very good. Definitely a bit of a bitter hop presence. Pine and citrus, with a good malt backbone. No sweetness beating out these hops. Nice Beer!

4.1/5  rDev -2.1%

a deep amber almost brown pour with 2 fingers of off white head which dissipated slowly and caused lots of god lacing. lots of hoppy aroma. pine, caramel, more pine, fresh cut grass, and more pine. sweet cocoa-like malt profile with tons of hop flavor. grapefruit and pine like in an ipa, lots of caramel and slightly roasted chocolate flavors like a darker ale. medium body with a creamy mouthfeel and moderate carbonation. wonderfully balanced and tasty making this a diesel amber ale. just realized this is a 7.2% beer, so i guess it did a good job masking the alcohol!

4.09/5  rDev -2.4%

A - Hazy orange with a nice frothy off white head. (clearly unfiltered)

S- Great hop character, citrus/tropical fruits, some resinous varietals as well

T- great flavor profile. Hop bitterness is accentuated by the caramelized malts, some citrus flavor present as well

M- Full bodied, and not overly carbonated.

O- an excellent beer by an up and coming brewing company out of Maine! I really liked this one (usually like my beers filtered)

4.08/5  rDev -2.6%

500ml bottle provided generously and unexpectedly as an extra in a recent trade with mschofield. Thanks for knocking off this want Marty.

This bottle is still fairly fresh with a 8/18/11 date printed on it. Poured it into my Lost Abbey tumbler.

It pours a ferocious mahogany with a slightly off white head. The head sticks around for forever then some, and leaves outstanding lacing.

Smell is of slight citrus and pine, but then backed quickly by this beers backbone..the malt.

Taste follows the smell with the nice light citric tones and piney/floral notes. They definitely stand out more in the taste than they do in the nose. The malt is hidden by the hoppy citric notes very well, but shines through delightfully in the end. It leaves a nice, sweet coating on your tongue.

Mouthfeel is lighter than I expected, but worked extremely well. This was insanely drinkable and paired well with the BBQed TriTip we were having for dinner.

Overall, a very good hoppy amber ale. Exactly how I like my ambers.

Zoe from Maine Beer Company