Zoe - Maine Beer Company

ZoeZoe

Maine Beer Company visit their website
Maine, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  7.20% ABV

Our take on an American amber ale. Complex malt bill delivers notes of dark raisin, chocolate and biscuit. Copious additions of American hops yield notes of pine and citrus.

(Beer added by: deltatauhobbit on 12-03-2009)
3.15/5  rDev -25.2%

Pours a two-finger cream head that takes fades slowly leaving some lace. Deep opaque, brown/black color some yeast left in bottle. Good carbonation and medium bodied. Hoppy nose. Flavor is pine and resin hops, malts try to balance but don't. Lingering bitter aftertaste. Doesn't look like an amber but tastes like one. $6.10 for a 500ml bottle from a Tully's Beer & Wine Wells, ME.

jdhilt, Dec 21, 2010
4.35/5  rDev +3.3%

Zoe pours a clear, dark brown color with a two-finger stiff, frothy off white head on top. The foam dissolves slowly leaving behind lines and spots of lace on the glass.

The strong, hoppy aroma has lots of orange citrus and pine. As the beer warms some caramel malt notes become present.

Each sip of this medium bodied beer is slick on the palate, slightly oily with a mild carbonated fizz. The flavor begins hoppy with notes of orange citrus and pine with a hint of pepper. In the middle amber and caramel malt plus of touch of toast move in. Some metallic notes are in there too. It finishes dry with a bitter grassy hop flavor. Once gone the orange citrus notes linger on the palate.

This is a very tasty, easy drinking beer. The body seems a bit light to me and with over 7% abv this one is a sipper. I'm hoping this beer will soon be distributed in Mass.

WanderingFool, Dec 19, 2010
3.98/5  rDev -5.5%

Poured from a 500ml bottle into my Southern Tier tulip glass. It poured a dark caramel color with a bit of reddish colors to it. The head settled down to a thin covering and left some great lacing as it did.

The aroma shows off both the hoppy and malty qualities pretty well. Some zesty citrus with a grapefruit bitterness mixes with some sweeter malty, toasted, slight caramel character.

The taste shows slightly more of the malty flavors to it. More of the sweet malty, caramel flavors come through along with some toasty flavors. Towards the finish the hops really step it up with some grapefruit citrus and bitterness.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Drinkability is pretty good, it had some nice malty and hoppy flavors to it. Very enjoyable beer overall, and a good version of the style.

billab914, Dec 17, 2010
4.35/5  rDev +3.3%

500ml bottle, thanks Clark from NH!

Received this one in the BA Secret Santa 2010. Love the 500ml bottle. Poured into a pint glass. Zoe looks like pond water, it poured a surprisingly murky brown with some bright highlights around the very edges, gotta say i was expecting more.. red. I dunno. A large, strong, tan head floats upon the brew. Big hits of fresh resinous hops in the nose, some of that grapefruit, lots of wet pine notes and chocolate underneath it all. A very creamy texture is noted, round and silky, chocolatey malt and some bright hops dominate the flavor with a crisp finish, crazy balanced. Unlike anything ive had before really, im very impressed.

ATPete, Dec 17, 2010
4.33/5  rDev +2.9%

Bottle thanks to Drazzamatazz.

Pours a cloudy burgundy color with two fingers of foamy off white head and good retention.

Scent of caramel, toasted malts, bread, brown sugar, and citrus. It kind of smells like a freshly baked loaf of bread with a nice dosage of hops.

Taste of citrus, dry orange rind, and bread initially; caramel and more grainy flavors come through on the finish. More hoppy than the scent let on. This is a very good Amber Ale, one of the best I have ever had.

Mouthfeel is clean and medium/light bodied with a good level of carbonation.

paco1029384756, Dec 13, 2010
4.88/5  rDev +15.9%

Probably my favorite local brew and one of my favorites overall. Kinda sucks the distribution is so limited... oh well.

A: Pours a muck brown that leaves lacing down with every sip

S: Smells like an extremely hopped red ale... what more can I say?

T: Pretty much the same as the smell, definitely hoppy with a good malt finish

M: Not too carbonated, perfect

D: At 7.2%, this is one beer that I cannot get enough of... until I almost pass out of course

BEERMILER12, Dec 11, 2010
4.53/5  rDev +7.6%

I had a chance to have the Peepers Ale on a recent trip to Bar Harbor. I purchased a bottle of Zoe at a great beer store (Global in Ellsworth) on the way home. Should have bought a case!
Appearance: Cloudy Mahogany Brown. Off white head with good lacing.
Smell: Bitter hops. Default smell would be citrus with some pine, but it was a very pleasant bitter aroma.
Taste: Citrus, with a decent malt background.
Mouthfeel; some puckering, but not overly hopped. Smooth
Drinkability: Oh, sooo good!
This brewery only offers a couple beers, but they do them very well.

potownbill, Nov 25, 2010
4.2/5  rDev -0.2%

Poured into a pint glass. Thanks to CTSparky for bringing this back from the brewery.

A - Brown with a strong reddish color. Reasonable amount of white foam. Pours relatively mild.

S - Hoppy. A very pleasant smell of hops with some citrus and pine. A perfect beer to have in the fall!

T - A good drinker. The flavor of hops stays throughout, with a sweet taste mixed in. I had this just over a month from bottling. I would think the fresher the better.

M - A little heavy for an amber, but very solid. You don't taste the beefy ABV for the style. Mild carbonation.

D - Yep, I'd have another. Shared the bomber and would easily crack open another.

Give these guys extra props for promoting that they are a environmentally green and that they donate proceeds to whale preservation. A good gesture on a solid brew!

socon67, Nov 21, 2010
4.15/5  rDev -1.4%

The story:
I recently went on a trip to New England and ended up at Maine Brewing after checking out the nearby Allagash Brewery. After hearing about Maine Brewing (and scoring a brew - peeper ale) from locals I had to check this place out. I was initially bummed to see they were not open yet (new upgraded brewery location) but decided to take a picture next to the sign out front. Oddly enough one of the owners happened to be there and came out and invited me in(despite them still being under construction) What a nice guy! He showed my lady and I around the brewery and hung out with us for a while. After a cool chat and a private tour, he sent us on our way with a free bottle of Zoe! Very cool.
The beer:
Pours an amber/ruby color with a smal white head.
The aroma is amazing. Smells of fresh citrusy hops.
This brew tastes delicious. A lot of citrus/floral hop flavors and a nice amount of caramel malt flavors to balance.
The mouthfeel is pretty good, nice carbonation and a bit of a dry hop finish. Not as bitter as the aroma would make you think.
Overall a great hoppy amber ale, very drinkable, very hopilicious. Probably the best amber I've had yet. I wish I lived closer, because I would buy tons of this beer.

tang3nt, Nov 20, 2010
4.2/5  rDev -0.2%

Reviewed from notes. Huge thanks to BrewedAwakening for getting some of this out to me.

Pours a nice reddish-amber color with a good off-white head and some nice lacing. The nose is really quite nice with a really strong presence of citrus and pine hops as well as some light amber malt. The taste is a bit of light malt with a good level of bitterness, though not as much as the nose would have indicated. This drinks really well and is a beautiful Red IPA (let's get that new style rolling...) and I'd love to try a few more things from Maine Brewing.

Thorpe429, Nov 14, 2010
4.97/5  rDev +18.1%

I found a bottle at Global Warehouse in Ellsworth. It poured a deep dark brown - slightly unfiltered. The smell was citrus and balsam. Very nice. The taste was similar to smell - and it left a pleasant aftertaste. Nice head that left lacing along the glass as I drank. I am very pleased with this - I persoanlly believe the ABV is too high at 7.2 - but I was not tasting alcohol. Well balanced. Excellent beer

mainlyale, Nov 10, 2010
4.22/5  rDev +0.2%

Thanks to papollo for this gem!!!

Deep mahogany in color, with a big 3 finger beige head. Laces tons.

Smells is yummy pine, and woods. Slight citrus, and slight sweet malts. This smells amazing. It's hard to put down.

Equal parts pine and sweetness on the taste. Bitter hops and pine first, sweet malty sweetness.

Solid medium bodied. It's actually a bit chewy and thick for a red. Low carbonation.

Easy drinker.

This is an excellent beer, bottom line.

EgadBananas, Nov 06, 2010
4.03/5  rDev -4.3%

Zoe has a impressive appearance, with a reddish body and a massive, solid looking head. Retention and lacing are both great.

The aroma has a bunch of fruity hops, with a big, sweet, malt backing.

Zoe tastes like a very good, hoppy amber. The big hop character brings a decent amount of bitterness and a large amount of fruitiness, with orange, grapefruit and some other fruits thrown in. A little bit of an earthy flavor comes through too. The malt is big just like the hops, with a chewy sweetness to it that provides a lot of balance.

Body is good, a touch oily and fairly full.

I like Zoe, and I would recommend trying it. I think I liked the Spring Peeper a little more, but it's tough to compare the two and the Peeper is excellent. I hope I can try Maine Brewing Co.'s Stout, or anything else I can get my hands on in the future, because the two beers I have tried that they made are quite good.

Hojaminbag, Nov 03, 2010
4.6/5  rDev +9.3%

A- extremely dark red, almost black, a nice solid inch or two of a dirty white foam head.

S- The smell of this beer is absolutely amazing, hops galore, citrus nodes, even has a slight wild flower smell.

T- get a lot of hops, but there is a good quality malty taste accompanying it. A very clean finish. Leaves you begging for more.

M- Light, just the right amount of weight, light but not too light. Floats across the palate.

D- Could drink this all day long and you would never hear me complain.

The best amber ale I have had by far. Blew my mind! The flavor complexity is amazing almost drinks like an IPA which is something that I do not mind. Highly recommend you try this one if given a chance. I definitely want to try this one again.

king75, Oct 26, 2010
4.83/5  rDev +14.7%

Acquired from svosie, so a big "Thank You" goes out to her. Poured from a 16.9oz bottle into a mug glass.

A: The beer is a dark reddish brown color, with a short off-white head that fades slowly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is full of floral hops and fruity citrus along with caramelized malts.

T: The taste starts out with a strong burst of grassy hops that quickly transitions into a very complementary citrus and caramel sweetness. The malt character is hearty but not too heavy and provides an excellent balance. The after-taste is slightly hoppy and slightly sweet.

M: Crisp and very smooth, medium body, medium carbonation, finish is slightly sticky.

D: Very tasty and flavorful, goes down quite easily, not too filling, good kick, very good representation of style, this is an excellent beer with a lot of flavor and substance that make great drink for an entire evening.

TheManiacalOne, Oct 23, 2010
4.72/5  rDev +12.1%

Brought back from Maine after an amazing weekend in Acadia National Park.

A- Very dark red with a white head. The cap has great retention and leaves a very thick coat of massive lace. A thick pillow stays atop the beer

S- Amazingly fresh hop bomb. Tons of tropical fruit, citrus fruit and floral notes. Reminds me of Sculpin, HopSlam... etc. Very great use of hops. Slight malt in the background to balance but it doesn't even matter with such good hop aroma.

T- More malty than aroma but the hops still shine. Great tropical fruit, citrus zest, floral hints and some pine. Slight caramel and toasty bready malt. Even a bit of mint.

MF- Very smooth I would say. The body is on the lighter end with lower carbonation but somehow doesn't feel watery. Lower end bitterness lets the hop flavor really shine.

DB- I am glad I picked this one up. Tastes like a pile of wet, fresh hops. Probably the best Amber Ale I have ever had. I know where I am going to stop in Maine whenever I visit. Comparable to any great IPA as far as hop flavor goes. The body, flavor and bitterness level make this one dangerously drinkable.

cbutova, Oct 13, 2010
4.65/5  rDev +10.5%

Wow! What a great beer--I've never had such a fresh hop taste from a bottle.

A: Pours a very dark amber with little head. Could have fooled me for a brown ale at first.

S: Beautiful, fresh, floral hop smell dominates but only slightly over a nice caramel, malt background.

T: True to the smell, the taste here is dominated by the uber-fresh, floral hops. This could not be more perfectly balanced against the lovely malt, almost coffee-like background. This tastes more like an unusual, but excellent, fresh IPA.

M: Smooth, medium body and carbonation, lingers from the stickiness of the hops.

D: This goes down easy and the overall excellence of the beer begs for another.

This is an exceptionally well-done beer, and has cemented itself as my favorite to date of Maine beers. I had to pick up another and the Spring Peeper before heading back, so we'll see if it gets knocked off by its sibling.

FrankLloydMike, Oct 10, 2010
4.03/5  rDev -4.3%

Reviewing from notes. Very happy/surprised to see this last weekend on cask at Novare. 10oz pour into a pint glass

A: Dark amber pour with limited amount of head. Just a touch of lacing left at the top of the glass

S: Very similar to the bottled version. Lots of hops and some spice, caramel

T: Also just like the bottle, but a little lighter due to less carbonation. Citrusy and piney hops blended with some spice

M: Medium bodied, light carbonation. I might actually prefer the cask version from a mouthfeel aspect because the hop bitterness is toned down, so as to preserve the palate

D: While I like the bottled version better, it was really great to see this in a different format. MBC continues to impress me given their small size

Brez07, Oct 01, 2010
4.65/5  rDev +10.5%

Poured into my Stone VE glass.

A-Pours a foggy brownish red. Little lacing on the light brown head.

S-Piney hops, hints of grapefruit. Strong scent of caramel as well, with other malts.

T-Pretty straightforward, not overly complex. Great hop profile followed with that strong malt aftertaste. The beauty in this beer is its near perfect balance.

M-Body is actually a bit heavy for the style. The hop bitterness really stays in your mouth for quite some time afterwards. Carbonation is average for the style.

D-I can't stop sipping it. It's truly a great amber. 7.2% abv isn't a whole lot, but its completely hidden.

Notes-I don't need my ambers overly complex, just balanced. This one is near perfection.

xanok, Sep 27, 2010
4.1/5  rDev -2.6%

Bottle. Pours fairly hazy red color with an offwhite 1 finger head. W-O-W, this has a really hoppy aroma that I really like. Really strong notes of citrus, spice, and floral notes. Some tatent nuttiness in the nose as well. Very creamy medium/light mouthfeel. Slightly sweet up front that quickly transitions to anice strong citrus rind hop taste that builds in strength and remains well after the beer is gone from your mouth. The floral hops really come through as well in the aftertaste. Some bitterness in the end as well. If I was told this was an IPA I honestly would believe you.

kbutler1, Sep 17, 2010
4.13/5  rDev -1.9%

Thanks to Hiphop1 for this extra.

Poured into Unibroue chalice

Pours 1/2 finger of creamy khaki head. Great retention with lace rings every sip. Color is a dark ruby head.

Aroma: Very hoppy and citrusy. Pine hops with with some mixed fruit citrus. A caramel malt backbone. Almost like a big Ipa.

Taste: Awesome pine hop profile up front. Very bitter. Grapefruit citrus. Caramel malts again. Sticky hop resin taste. Again, tastes like an ipa. I like it.

Mouthfeel: Bitter and then some. A bit creamy. Medium bodied with a good amount of carbonation. Ends very sticky from the hops.

Overall, one of the better imperial reds I have had. Very fresh and hoppy. Drinks like an ipa and I like it, but it still has some malt to let you know its not an ipa. Pretty good drinkability on this one. Thanks Hollie for a great brew!

mothman, Sep 17, 2010
4.33/5  rDev +2.9%

Thanks to BrewedAwakening for the generous package...Good looking out Amy!

A--Nice deep amber with nice carbonation and retention.

S--Floral notes with a great balance of hops in the nose.

T--BALANCE. Great profile on this one, hops hit you but it has a smooth malty flavor that really compliments the beer, excellent.

M--Smooth, silky mouthfeel.

D-Not normally a hoppy beer guy, but this one is a great example of a balanced amber ale should be brewed. This is a terrific beer and I am enjoying it on a cool saturday, well done and recommended.

garbercury, Sep 11, 2010
4.6/5  rDev +9.3%

Bottle purchased straight from the brewery poured into a pint glass.

A- Dark brown with a slightly reddish tint. Nice, white head on top. This is a pretty dark amber.

S- This is different than many of the beers from the Portland area. Yeast is not dominant in the smell at all. Smell is clean, straight forward, and to the point. Toasty malts and a nice floral/slightly citrus hop aroma.

M + D - Very smooth mouthfeel. Almost slick.

D- Very easy to drink. I wish I could have brought more back to Michigan

T- Same as the smell. Straight forward. Toasty malt and floral/citrus hops. The yeast gets out of the way and lets the malt and hops shine. Beer finishes dry

I am not usually an Amber guy, but this beer was fantastic. They advertise this beer as a happy, hoppy amber. For once, there is truth in advertising. If you live in Portland, do yourself a favor and get some Zoe.

dpalaci6, Sep 09, 2010
3.7/5  rDev -12.1%

Thanks to AgentZero into my De Stuise glass...Pours a very ugly muddyr murky brown with a light amber highlights. Pretty carbonated with medium tope head...The aroma is decent lots of caramel to start with some piney hops on the back. Alex says its better fresh but this isn't bad right now. Mostly malt now, light grass finish...The taste is a let down, lots of chalky hops that feel weird and have an off taste. Light grass finish.

This is ok, but a weird chalky/hop feel and taste distracts me. Decent brew but not a top buzzed.

jrallen34, Aug 28, 2010
4.43/5  rDev +5.2%

Thanks to Thirstybird for opening this one up at our tasting. Pours a hazy plum with a half inch, frothy, off-white head. Nose reveals sweet citrus and apricot. Taste follows nose on a light, toasted malt background with some bittering hops coming out at the finish. Mouthfeel is light-medium, with a pleasant and even background carbonation. One of the best American Ambers I've tried. A bargain at $5.99 a bomber. I would drink this all the time if it were more accessible.

Jwale73, Aug 10, 2010