Zoe - Maine Beer Company

Maine Beer Company visit their website
Maine, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  7.20% ABV

Beer added by: deltatauhobbit on 12-03-2009

Our take on an American amber ale. Complex malt bill delivers notes of dark raisin, chocolate and biscuit. Copious additions of American hops yield notes of pine and citrus.
Ratings: 2,142 | Reviews: 545
4.72/5  rDev +12.4%

S: Bold pine and sap resin, touch of woodiness, very fruity.

L: Hazy brown, dense creamy light tan head, good retention.

T: Smooth piney sweet sappy malt. Touch of caramel undertones. Smooth medium bitterness leads to a candy semi-sweet finish with just a touch of hop resin.

M: Medium-low carbonation, medium-full body, very smooth.

This is an amazing beer, blew me away. Nose is similar to nugget nectar but a more "pine" like profile. Lighter in sweetness than NN and light overall, but unbelievable creamy smooth on the mouthfeel. Definitely try this beer.

4.5/5  rDev +7.1%

Another winner from this small brewery in Maine, not only in taste but also tastefulness. There's a tad too much hoppy pine in the aroma, bending slightly toward new-carpet smell, but it's not overwhelming nor does it contribute to hammy hoppiness in the flavor. Definitely dry and crisp with hops to the fore, but everything here has comfy rounded edges, like a giant cotton beanbag chair. For a good hoppy American ale, it lacks the hostile attitude of so many of its cousins from the West coast. MBC is a pearl of New England.

4.13/5  rDev -1.7%

A - Dark brown, pretty clear, tan head that has lots of big bubbles in its ring and lots of cling lace.

S - Sprity hops, nice solid malt.

T - Nice solid medium malt squished by medium hop. Good stuff.

M - Medium to light body, good carb, nice balance.

D - Refreshing and easy to drink.

4.52/5  rDev +7.6%

16.9 oz poured into a pint glass. bottled 3/10/2011

A - dark dark brown with a nice thick creamy head that slowly recedes to a thin line that sticks for the duration.

S - holy hops. they werent lying about this being a hoppy amber and you can tell right from the first whiff. citrus banana and a bubblegum type flavor are also in there.

T - there are those hops again. theres a nice balance between them and a malty underneath. the finish on this thing is quite amazing and if drinkability was still around would definitely be giving this a 5 out of 5 in that regard.

M - this thing is just so unbelievably smooth and sticks to the side of your mouth for just enough time.

O - i had heard a lot of great things about this company and though i thought the peeper ale was very good quality it did not blow me away but i knew i had to wait to try this one. it definitely holds up to the hype in my opinion. go get one.

4.95/5  rDev +17.9%

03/22/11 - fresh fresh, bottled 03/10/11

16.9oz to pint glass

A: Pours a rich dark brown with reddish hue (dark sienna) with huge, dense, 3 finger seafoam colored head. I grew impatient as I waited for this thing to lay down. Sticky lace paints the sides of the glass as if it was sponged on.

S: Wow. Power waft of hops upon first crack of bottle and the glass proved just as impressive. This smells fucking delicious. Smooth bold hops smell liike sweet, sugary, candied spruce, pineapple, orange and lemon - all of this riding high atop a beautiful caramel maltiness. Superb. Damn this nice.

T: Happy things going on here: A healthy, borderline IPA, dose of piney evergreen-like hops complemented by a solid caramel and nutty backbone of malt goodness with a orange / grapefruit sweetness reappearing mid sip and riding thru the finish. This should be a popsicle flavor, damn this is good.

M: Medium, super creamy, nice slighty sweet and bitter hard water finish. Like a sweetened wet pale ale. End of one sip is an almost perfect seque into the next.

O: Sleek bottle, clean simple label, and every aspect of the the beer itself is spot on tight. These guys only have 2 brews and both are simply fantastic. Highly recommended, this is superb drinking. The best amber I've ever had; I'll buy it each time I see it. I love this beer.

I'm thoroughly impressed - count me in, I am a fan.

4.28/5  rDev +1.9%

Bottled on 3/10/11. Yep, oh so fresh. Poured into a duvel tulip.

A - My my my. Can every beer look like this please? Massive almost 3 finger dark cream coloured head sitting atop a very, very dark garnet pour. This head though, massive amount of side lacing with a head that just wont go away.

S - Really nice fresh hop aromas. Lots of big, fresh citrus and grapefruit aromas. There is some light malt sweetness but for the most part this is hop heavy.

T - Just like the nose this has awesome hop flavour with big time. A great citrus bitterness with a strong malty background that is overpowered by the hops.

M - Nice and slightly, subtly creamy but nicely carbonated with a good crisp, slightly dry finish.

O - Overall this is quite a nice amber ale. I think the malts get lots just a little with all those fresh hops, but I can appreciate the bitterness it lends. Very enjoyable brew from Maine.

4.22/5  rDev +0.5%

Poured into a pint glass. This one pours a dark and somewhat murky copper color with a big creamy looking two finger head. Good sticky lace and good head retention on this.

Orange citrus is noticable right away in the aroma even as this is being poured. Hints of green tea linger also but this is mostly a citrus giant. The taste is a bit more bitter than the aroma would lead. Bitter hop profile with a nice citrus/malt backbone to this. A little bit sweet to finish.

The feel is light with somewhat sharp carbonation. Leaves with a nice bitter sweet finish. Overall, one of my favorite offerings. I send this as an extra so often it's about damn time I give it a review.

3.65/5  rDev -13.1%

500ml bottle into a Birra del Borgo tulip. Thanks to Tony for sharing this one.

A: The body is a clear orange hue with some yeast swirling in ropey strands (I was a little late to the tasting, so the dregs were all that was left); lovely finger of tan, sticky head. Attractive, despite the sediment.

S: Simple and elegant, with richly fruity hops and pure caramel malt. Nothing crazy, but entirely enjoyable.

T: The hops flavor fades pretty quickly into nondescript bitterness, and unfortunately the pure bitterness is strong enough to outweigh any malt complexity that I feel must be lying underneath. It's not bad, but definitely doesn't live up to the inviting aroma.

M: Smooth, soft medium body with light carbonation. Decent.

O: I'd have enjoyed this beer considerably more if it had either more or less hops presence; as it was, I felt that bitterness overwhelmed the malt backbone entirely, but didn't really bring any exciting flavors of its own. The alcohol was nicely hidden, but there just wasn't as much going on as I would have hoped and expected. I'd gladly drink this again, but won't be seeking it out.

Cheers!

4.45/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A - Unique looking bottle with interesting label. A couple inches of tanish smooth head with fantastic retention and lacing deposits. the beer itself is a beautiful dark amber color that is completely transclucent...sort of like a ruby.

S - Wonderful hoppy bouquet with floral wisps. Although the hops are very strong, there is a strong malt background with an earthy/woody feature.

T - Exactly what you want for this style, lots of hops with a strong malty backbone. Very crisp and easy to drink. The alcohol is noticeable, but it is well hidden.

M - Great hoppy feel and aftertaste; the syrupy malt is nice and smooth. Medium-bodied brew that is a perfect balance and representation for this style.

O - Fantastic beer overall, world class for this style IMO. It's a little pricy, but completely worth it especially if it's fresh...I'll be getting more of this and I hope it is a year-round beer.

3.83/5  rDev -8.8%

500 Ml bottle from 1/27/11.

I may have waited too lonf to try this, as I was expecting a little bit more. The appearance was beautiful, with a deep red color and soft white cap. The smell was good too, with an earthy mix of hops, malt, and citrus. But the body and taste were a little too light for me. Still, very good.

3.83/5  rDev -8.8%

Poured into a snifter. Thanks to jlindros for this generous extra.

A - pours a very dark brownish red with a nice soapy head and nice lacing. Active carbonation keeps the head going for several minutes.

S - smells like a very hoppy red ale, with heavy malt, caramel, grapefruit, and a very spicy note. Piney hop notes linger around the backend creating a very nice aroma.

T - taste is of piney hops and caramel. There is a high amount of spicyness in this beer but it works well. A note of rye from the malt really comes out in the finish as does a decent amount of booze which takes away from the score.

M - very good creamy mouthfeel, good amount of carbonation. Grassy hops provide a nice initial twang followed by a nice spicy finish on the backend.

O - this is a solid beer with a lot of things going right for it. To me the flavor needs a bit of tweaking but this has potential to be a top tier brew. I'll be looking forward to see new things from this company in the future.

4.15/5  rDev -1.2%

I got to try Peeper Ale from these guys and thought it was great. Glad to get to try another brew from them. PT bottle...

A: A gorgeous deep dark red with a 1 inch off white head that fades at a decent pace. Very good.

S: Smells of a nice clean hop upfront with some great sweet citrus notes in the middle and some earthy grassiness on the backend. Very good!

T: An earthy bitterness upfront with a mild sweet citrus blended in. Some lemon peel quickly follows with a hint of spicy notes and grapefruit. Good.

M: Medium body with a great carbonation. A dry clean finish. Good.

D: Goes down good.

All in all, this is another solid beer from Maine Beer Co. I've only tried two brews from them and both are solid. Definitely give this one a try if you like hoppy dry beers!

3.05/5  rDev -27.4%

Sampled this right after my first Nugget Nectar of the season. Fresh bottle from Liquor World, Cambridge.

Poured from the 500mL bottle into an Ithaca shaped pint glass. Color is slightly browner that amber, clarity is fine, head is just right at about half an inch.

Smell is great, american citrus hops abound. Some sweetness and malt flavors, but the aroma is dominated by the hops. Good so far.

The first sip lets me down. Pleasant hop flavor up front, but then loaded with toffee, caramel sweetness that must be from a heavy hand with crystal malt. I like all the flavors in this beer, I just think they go together about as well as toothpaste and orange juice.

Mouthfeel is fine, plenty of body, no issues with the carbonation. These guys are pretty hyped in this area right now, but I'm pretty disappointed with this offering.

3.76/5  rDev -10.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

a - poured a dense, three-fingers thick tan head into a snifter that left thick lacing and sheeting throughout. the body was dark amber, almost brown that let some red tints through.
s - muted pineyness.
t - piney with a lot of breadiness, especially as it warms. hints of caramel and raisins.
m - thick and heavy.
o - nice beer, the heartiest red ale i've ever had. or is this a barleywine??

4.35/5  rDev +3.6%

This classy looking 500 mL bottle was received in trade with umfskibum. Thanks Josh. It was bottled on 1/27/11. I popped the cap and poured the bottle into a goblet. An aggressive pour yields about 2½ fingers of foamy khaki head. Retention is excellent. A lot of sticky lacing lines the glass. The beer is a very dark amber tint, darker even than most brown ales.

The aroma is giving off a lot of citrus hops. Tangerine and grapefruit come to mind. The sweet smell of caramel wafts through the nose. I'm detecting rye grain in the aroma which is unexpected and enticing. This is different than any amber ale I've smelled.

The taste is bitter, fruity and clean. Grapefruit bitterness strikes first and maintains a presence through the entire flavor profile and aftertaste. A sweet honey-like fruitiness follows and blends nicely with some earthy grain flavors. Alcohol is noticed on the back end but I would not have otherwise guessed that this was a 7.2% ABV beer. Persistent bitterness lingers in the mouth long after the swallow. It is indeed a very full flavored amber.

Zoe is medium bodied with little carbonation. It feels good in the mouth though not outstanding. However, the style has never knocked my socks off in the mouthfeel department and this has the best feel of any amber I've sampled.

I have mixed feelings about this beer as a whole. I have never cared much for amber ale as a style, but I do have to give Maine Beer Company props for creating a beer that is much better than any other amber I've come across. It is very flavorful; it looks and smells great, and it feels fine in the mouth. 7.2% ABV tells me that I'll probably be done with this after one 500mL bottle. Although this isn't my thing, it is very well executed. I could wholeheartedly recommend Zoe to the hophead who needs a change of pace from a constant diet of IPAs.

---

The Two Schlitz Scale™: (see my profile for an explanation)
I don't give a Schlitz for Zoe, but only because I'm not a fan of the style.

4.12/5  rDev -1.9%

Blind Beer #12 from Khazadum

16oz? bottle pops with a nice hiss and blast of dank, piny hops.

Into a pint glass it goes, per the blind label. that is NOT the color I was expecting. Pours a dark amber or light maple syrup color with a monstrous four-finger head. The cream-colored pillow seems to just want to hang out with me a while; it just sits there and dissipates, bubble by bubble. As I drink, there are some hints of lace apparent on the glass sides.

Nose still dominated by some big hop aroma: resin and weed just permeate my nostrils. I think there's some nuttiness hidden in there, but this is a hop-forward beer, despite its perplexing color. I really have no idea what to think before diving in...Later I do get some subtle caramel, but barely.

What the hell am I drinking!?!?! My mind is so confused right now. The first sip is so much sweeter than I expected. There's a little caramel and definite roasted nuts, but after a few sips this gives way to a well-balanced bitter hop finish. I get no roasted malt on the back end, so this comes striaght from hop IBUs. What a confusing beer...

Despite its huge frothy hat, there's virtually no carbonation as I drink. I feel like I'm drinking out of a firkin and I like it. Pretty clean around the mouth, but there's a slight lingering slickness on the top of my moth that just won't go away no matter what I do.

Well balanced, and the palate makes the beer incredibly drinkable. I think there's some heat, so we might be looking at like 7.5%, but it still goes down quickly.

At this point, I'm incredibly confused. i'd think something like an imperial amber, or a super dry-hopped india brown ale. I think this is the most perplexing blind beer I've had to date. Not to mention, the unique shaped bottle is confusing me even more.

4.33/5  rDev +3.1%

Another Maine bottle from Ben, 500ml.

Pours a nice, deep clear copper with a crazy thick head that leaves some of the most impressive lacing I've ever seen. A full two inch cap sticks on top for the duration. I honestly can't think of a better looking amber.

Aroma is bright with floral hops and light lemon and pineapple citrus. There is still a noticeable caramel malt presence but the hops are the star in the nose.

Taste is almost as impressive with the toasted caramel malts taking the forefront a little more. That said the floral pine and grassy hops are still a major player and leave a bitter, dry finish.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied and exceptionally smooth for the style. Sticky with hops but with a dry, slightly roasted character on the palate.

Probably not quite in Nugget Nectar territory, but this is a great amber - hop forward with the right balance of malts and body. Well done.

4.42/5  rDev +5.2%

A - Pours a dark garnet color with a full one fingered greenish/off white colored head. The pour was absolutely beautiful as the foam raised when thousands of tiny bubbles made a break for the surface. Very nice.

S - The nose is filled with very earthy, grassy hops and a healthy dose of hops comprised of a pine/citrus/slightly floral aroma. Roasted malt is somewhat detectable but the hops are definitely front stage and center. It's a hop head's red ale.

T - Roasted caramel malt, mild chocolate underneath with a heavy layer of hoppy goodness scrambling over the top. The tongue is greeted almost immediately with a healthy mixture of floral bitterness, pine, and big citrus hopping. There's also an earthy and grassy presence. There's a slight warming on the way down and the hops clean the malt right off the tongue leaving the mouth coated with pine resins and citric rind bitterness that lingers for many minutes after the sip.

M - Gentle prickliness on the tongue with medium body.

D - Very, very good!

This is an absolutely fabulous amber red ale that's fine tuned for the IPA lovers in the crowd.

4.38/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: rich mahogany black cherry color, pillowy kahki head. the initial pour yields an active cascade of bubbles rushing to the bottom of the glass, with a quick retreat. fun to watch.
S: citrus, orange, bready malts, pineapple. nice hoppy attitude without truly giving away what lies beyond the nose.
T: awesome punch of bready malts jazzed with frivolous and badass citrusy hops. tons of attitude in this one with flavors all over the place, as mcdonalds would say, IM LOVIN IT!!!!
M: fairly high carbonation coupeld with a huge hop punch make this a mouthful, but its oh so enjoyable. its nice to get a break from the parade of palate crushing ipas ive been drinking lately. the hops presence is definitely there, but theres so much else at play here that its not so ominous.
D: for as big and hoppy as it is, CRUSHABLE in my book. so damn good i could drink it all night. another homerun from Maine Brewing Co.

reviewed from notes:

appearance: amber dark red with a 2 finger head

smell: hops, malts,

taste: grassy, bitter, dry finish

mouthfeel: mild carbonation, medium body

drinkability: a little more dry then I like in my amber red ales. but not a bad representation. enjoyed quite a bit since we don't get distribution here in delaware.

Cheers,
The CPJ

3.86/5  rDev -8.1%

From notes. A dense finger of tan foam rests atop deep amber fluid and fades gradually, and leaving patchy lacing. It's not visibly active, and the color when backlit is reddish copper.

Immediately after the pour the nose is predominantly hoppy, but not so much after a few minutes. Mild caramel and moderate alcohol are the main drivers of the aroma, though some floral and fruity hops hang around, though not as pungent as right after the pour.

The hop presence is floral, fruity, and a little bit piny. The hoppy lead is joined and pretty much balanced by a barely discernible caramel malty base that is ever so vaguely sweet. The bitterness is gentle throughout, but persistent and piny after the finish.

Slightly low carbonation, with a rich medium body that dries out succinctly as it leads into the lingering bitter finish.

This is a good beer. Good balance, good hopping, good body. But the overall dry character of it, from the middle through the finish, is a distraction to me. This dryness is also probably why some love it. A little more malty and a little less dry and I would score it higher.

4.03/5  rDev -4%

Zoe
"Our Happy, Hoppy, Amber" Ale
Maine Beer Company
7.2% ABV
IBUs?
OG?

500 ml bottle with no freshness date poured into a Duvel tulip. Thanks Ipatsfans!

More brown than amber, this ale poured a dark shade of burnt caramel with a beautiful light brown head. The suds formed in cascade, like a thick stout - dense and creamy, and held promise of good retention and lacing. Not exactly what I expected but good looking nonetheless.

Delicate hop aroma with the freshness of a pine forest and some caramel notes underneath. The hop aroma is reminiscent of West Coast stuff, and Daisy Cutter. Go figure. Taste is fairly amicable, with a decent amount of light bitterness and a good malt backbone. The hop flavor is fresh, and is rind like at times: always welcome. Again unexpected but there's a fair (for the style description) amount of roast induced, I believe, tannic character. Drinks more like a hoppy porter or black IPA, but that's just nitpicking. Finish is rather sweet for my liking and the alcohol is high as well. The body and the mouthfeel are spot on if you ask me, and overall the beer is quite pleasant for a brewery with merely 2 beers on its portfolio. Thanks again, Ipatsfans! A good drink.

Scores: Appearance 4.5, Aroma 4, Taste 4, Mouthfeel 4, Drinkability 4

4.13/5  rDev -1.7%

Thanks to ToasterChef for the bottle. Poured into a Nonick pint glass.

A very large light brown to cream colored head off the pour easily four fingers and more. Head forms real easily and evenly. Dark red brownish hues on the bottom, but almost the perfect looking dark brown spectrum amongst the light. Little bit of sticking carbonation on the bottom of the glass. Excellent and lots of great looking lacing while finishing the drink.

Bouquet is kind of muted, but does have much going for it on the nose. Simple malt, small hints of roast and caramel. Faint chocolate and hops. I just wish this smell was alot bigger but it is still good.

Taste is immediately hoppy but not overpowering. Malt taste is a little limited and masked from the nose, but gives a great medium body feel. Pine sensation briefly, but also with chocolate notes. Hints of grass but not quite getting there.

The more you drink the more the hops take over. However this is a real pleasant brew, and this is very good beer. It's quite complex and hard to find its nuances but I like complexity so this is my thing.

4.35/5  rDev +3.6%

500ml bottle (bottled on 1/14/11) poured into a Duvel tulip.

A - Pours an incredibly dark amber color...actually more of a brown color that is a touch on the muddy side in appearance. Three fingers of dark khacki colored foam with amazing density sits atop the beer for a long, long time. An even sheet of lace covors almost 100% of the glass above the liquid level - quite impressive.

S - Wow...hops! Thick aromas of citrus steadily rise from the glass - packed with grapefruit mainly. Some wonderful pine joins the mix. Really great and intense hops. Along with the hops is some earthy and roasty malt character. Very mild but still noticeable boozy alcohol aromas and a dusting of chocolate to round things out.

T - Crisp hoppy bitterness with some roasted malt that gives a bit of a burnt bitterness and blends in with the hops. Sugary and a bit of caramelized sugar sweetness up front. Lots of hops in the middle with loads of grassy and citrus flavors - oranges and white grapefruit and some pineapple too.

M - A touch on the heavier side of medium bodied. Carbonation is full and assertive. Hop bitterness and earthy roasted malt flavors throughout and linger into the aftertaste. Hard to criticize, but perhaps a touch too far on the heavy side for me in this style.

D - This is an excellent beer. I had heard quite a bit about this one and was definitely excited to give it a try. Definitely lived up to the hype and my expectations. Looking forward to having more of these and trying some of the brewery's other offerings in the near future. A bit heavy to be extremely drinkable, especially in warmer weather...full of flavor and really good beer - probably a couple in a session is enough though.

3.97/5  rDev -5.5%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass. Not sure if the number printed on the label is a bottled date, or just a batch number. MFG011411...could be January 14th bottling...could not be.

Pours a dark brownish color, slight crimson appearance when held to the light. Much darker than other Ambers I've had.

Smell is sweet and hoppy, some light grapefruit notes, with a little roasted something or other in there. Can't place it.

Taste is unexpected. Hoppier than it smells, kind of dry and biter, and does not contain the sweet finish I was expecting. Finish is more malt and hops.

Biter hop taste is left in the mouth. Malt remains. Light carbonation, but just about right.

This is a drinkable beer. I wanted to like it more than I do. I would drink it again, but will not seek it out.

Zoe from Maine Beer Company