Zoe - Maine Beer Company

ZoeZoe

Maine Beer Company visit their website
Maine, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  7.20% ABV

Our take on an American amber ale. Complex malt bill delivers notes of dark raisin, chocolate and biscuit. Copious additions of American hops yield notes of pine and citrus.

(Beer added by: deltatauhobbit on 12-03-2009)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters

04-18-2013 01:05:05 | More by ZJPierce
cbeer88

02-18-2012 14:10:50 | More by cbeer88
hopley

A spectacular beer! Extremely hoppy and bitter - I've never tasted a Pliny The Elder but have made one - Zoe is on par with Pliny, and Sierra Torpedo. Great malty backbone and perfect head. Nice hoppy smell, perhaps it's been dry-hopped. I look forward to trying the rest of the Maine Beer Company's bombers!

04-15-2012 23:30:56 | More by hopley

CummingsK21

01-28-2012 06:12:50 | More by CummingsK21
mainlyale

4.97/5  rDev +18.1%

I found a bottle at Global Warehouse in Ellsworth. It poured a deep dark brown - slightly unfiltered. The smell was citrus and balsam. Very nice. The taste was similar to smell - and it left a pleasant aftertaste. Nice head that left lacing along the glass as I drank. I am very pleased with this - I persoanlly believe the ABV is too high at 7.2 - but I was not tasting alcohol. Well balanced. Excellent beer

11-10-2010 21:14:13 | More by mainlyale
arktos

4.95/5  rDev +17.6%

03/22/11 - fresh fresh, bottled 03/10/11

16.9oz to pint glass

A: Pours a rich dark brown with reddish hue (dark sienna) with huge, dense, 3 finger seafoam colored head. I grew impatient as I waited for this thing to lay down. Sticky lace paints the sides of the glass as if it was sponged on.

S: Wow. Power waft of hops upon first crack of bottle and the glass proved just as impressive. This smells fucking delicious. Smooth bold hops smell liike sweet, sugary, candied spruce, pineapple, orange and lemon - all of this riding high atop a beautiful caramel maltiness. Superb. Damn this nice.

T: Happy things going on here: A healthy, borderline IPA, dose of piney evergreen-like hops complemented by a solid caramel and nutty backbone of malt goodness with a orange / grapefruit sweetness reappearing mid sip and riding thru the finish. This should be a popsicle flavor, damn this is good.

M: Medium, super creamy, nice slighty sweet and bitter hard water finish. Like a sweetened wet pale ale. End of one sip is an almost perfect seque into the next.

O: Sleek bottle, clean simple label, and every aspect of the the beer itself is spot on tight. These guys only have 2 brews and both are simply fantastic. Highly recommended, this is superb drinking. The best amber I've ever had; I'll buy it each time I see it. I love this beer.

I'm thoroughly impressed - count me in, I am a fan.

03-22-2011 22:25:23 | More by arktos
DrewShal9

4.93/5  rDev +17.1%

8/18/11 bottle
A: darker reddish brown. Very dark for an amber.
S: grassy, earthy, and a hint of caramel towards the end
T: sweet caramel initially with a hint of toffee ending with grapefruit and other citrus.
M: very light, watery, yet creamy
O: wish I had gotten to this earlier to get more of the hop notes but it's still delicious. Definitely worth a try. This beer made me a fan of ambers.

09-20-2011 02:53:17 | More by DrewShal9
ToasterChef

4.88/5  rDev +15.9%

Poured from a cellar temperature bottle into a Maine Beer Company logo glass. The beer has a very dark amber color; it looks nearly brown in this dimly lit room. The head is large, tan colored, and made up of various sizes of bubbles. There is some patchy lacing. The aroma is very impressive. One whiff and I exclaimed aloud "wow!" It smells of very fresh hops. There is almost a toasted quality to the hops that I haven't come across before. The bottle I have is super-fresh (bought today, delivered to the store earlier in the week, most likely bottled late last week), which must improve the aroma a lot. The flavor is just as impressive as the aroma; actually, I find it to be even more complex. It started out with a toasted flavor. It makes me imagine burnt embers leftover after a campfire. The hops kick in quickly. They are big, bitter and floral. The bitterness lends itself to the toasted aroma and initial flavor, perfectly complimenting the aroma. The is just a bit of sweetness in the mix. It lingers on, along with the bitterness, but last longer, which gives the sensation that the beer gets sweeter after you swallow it. After a few sips, the sides of my mouth felt a slight tug. The bitterness provides the slightest amount of puckering. The beer has a lighter body than I expected. There is plenty of carbonation in each swallow. As I mentioned above, the sweetness lingers on; this is through the coating. The beer goes down so easily. I can feel its strength slightly; after a few rounds this may become a problem. I don't believe that the hops/bitter tastes will ever get overpowering. I could drink this beer all night. I feel so lucky that this beer is brewed and sold so close by. Maine Beer Company have outdone themselves.

03-25-2010 23:30:27 | More by ToasterChef
BEERMILER12

4.88/5  rDev +15.9%

Probably my favorite local brew and one of my favorites overall. Kinda sucks the distribution is so limited... oh well.

A: Pours a muck brown that leaves lacing down with every sip

S: Smells like an extremely hopped red ale... what more can I say?

T: Pretty much the same as the smell, definitely hoppy with a good malt finish

M: Not too carbonated, perfect

D: At 7.2%, this is one beer that I cannot get enough of... until I almost pass out of course

12-11-2010 05:16:59 | More by BEERMILER12