Mean Old Tom - Maine Beer Company

Maine Beer Company visit their website
Maine, United States

American Stout |  6.50% ABV

Beer added by: dciBA on 03-03-2010

Our American-style stout aged on organic vanilla beans. Intense notes of coffee and dark chocolate lead way to subtle notes of natural vanilla. Flaked oats generate a silky mouthfeel.
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 1,933 | Reviews: 384

look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Picked up a bottle on sale from a distributor that was trying to make room for something apparently. I like porters and stouts, but I didn't know what to expect by the label.

After chilling it down a bit I was still able to notice the nose right after opening. Knowing that a little vanilla goes a long way, I was pleasantly surprised at the level of subtlety that it maintained itself even after the tail hits the back of your nose.

So many stout combinations (vanilla, chocolate, coffee, rhubarb, whatever) behave like a black & white cookie they'll hit you in the face with one quality first, and then the other one will take over. So it's stout then chocolate, or chocolate then stout. This was not the case with Tom, which seamlessly blended the qualities that made this beer unique. (not to say there wasn't a progression).

Additionally, I drank this on one of the hottest days of the year, in the middle of the day, outside in my back yard out of my favorite tulip glass. Maybe it was because of its thin body (thin for a stout) or maybe because I left it in my fridge for a day, but it was a great stout to have in warm weather.

A HUGE thanks to Drazzamatazz for this great beer. Cheers!

Appearance – Pours into a tulip with a dark brown color and about a finger of head. Slight light is seen around the edges of the glass.

Smell – Not as noticeable as I would have hoped – roasted malts, slight vanilla, cocoa, and milk chocolate.

Taste – This is overall the same to the aroma, nice roasted malts, slight REAL vanilla (I can’t overemphasize how important it is to NOT use extract in the case of vanilla – it is so nasty otherwise). Nice bittersweet cocoa/milk chocolate at the end.

Mouthfeel – As others have mentioned, the biggest drawback of this is here. Way too light of a mouthfeel in my opinion, good carbonation for the style, but I wish it was a bit thicker and more oily.

Overall – A pretty good beer. Damn quaffable, not overpowering. I would for SURE pick this up again if I saw it on the shelves by me (sadly not likely for a lonnng time)

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Mean Old Tom from Maine Beer Company