Mean Old Tom - Maine Beer Company

Mean Old TomMean Old Tom

Maine Beer Company visit their website
Maine, United States

American Stout |  6.50% ABV

Our American-style stout aged on organic vanilla beans. Intense notes of coffee and dark chocolate lead way to subtle notes of natural vanilla. Flaked oats generate a silky mouthfeel.

(Beer added by: dciBA on 03-03-2010)

4.5/5  rDev +13.6%

4.25/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

found at whole foods in 16.9 oz bottle format. I am more of an IPA fan and thought that the smell and taste was just going to reek of sugar or some other overbearing sweetness. Boy was I wrong!

Appearance: had in a tulip poured 2 finger head. nice lacing of the glass afterwards.

Smell: chocolate, alcohol, some malt, slight vanilla undertone. I like how the vanilla doesn't overwhelm the rest of the other tasting notes. Some coffee as well (although it strikes me more straight black coffee)

Taste: touch of alcohol, some malt, hops, coffee. Didn't taste much of the vanilla on the palate.

This is a great stout from a great brewery. It leads me to want to seek out more imperial/aged stouts. Will definitely buy again.

4.44/5  rDev +12.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Wow! I loved this beer. I was looking for something different to go with my steak. I grab it off the shelf warm brought it home and poured it into the glass. It poured dark and creamy. The foam stayed thick and creamy for as long as it took me to drink. I smelled just a hint of vanilla with chocolate. Tasted malt, and chocolate at first the more I drank the more vanilla I tasted. I do not know if they barrel age this beer but if they did I would LOVE to try it!! This is the first Maine Brewing Company beer I have tried but it will not be the last.

3.25/5  rDev -17.9%

3.99/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Picked up a bottle on sale from a distributor that was trying to make room for something apparently. I like porters and stouts, but I didn't know what to expect by the label.

After chilling it down a bit I was still able to notice the nose right after opening. Knowing that a little vanilla goes a long way, I was pleasantly surprised at the level of subtlety that it maintained itself even after the tail hits the back of your nose.

So many stout combinations (vanilla, chocolate, coffee, rhubarb, whatever) behave like a black & white cookie they'll hit you in the face with one quality first, and then the other one will take over. So it's stout then chocolate, or chocolate then stout. This was not the case with Tom, which seamlessly blended the qualities that made this beer unique. (not to say there wasn't a progression).

Additionally, I drank this on one of the hottest days of the year, in the middle of the day, outside in my back yard out of my favorite tulip glass. Maybe it was because of its thin body (thin for a stout) or maybe because I left it in my fridge for a day, but it was a great stout to have in warm weather.

3.88/5  rDev -2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

A: Pours very dark brown with a quick rising caramel head. Pour it carefully, the head takes off! Head goes down to a thin layer quickly but what is left stays with the beer until the end.

S: Nice, roasty, full body on the nose with chocolate and vanilla coming on strong.

T: Lots of bitter chocolate coming through. More alcohol comes through than I expected at this abv. Less vanilla than I was hoping for, it seemed a bit lost. It's not overly sweet like a lot of beer with vanilla can be, which I did enjoy. Aftertaste left me wanting ice cream so I'm going to try this as a float beer (GASP)!

M: Thin for a beer this dark (similar to Atwater Vanilla Java Porter). A little light on the carbonation.

O: This is a solid stout that I would buy again. I don't know if I would classify it as a dessert beer by itself, but the lower sweetness level might make it nice to pair with sweet desserts. The only thing I really wanted was some more of that vanilla to come through on the palette.

3.25/5  rDev -17.9%