2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Lunch - Maine Beer Company

LunchLunch

Maine Beer Company visit their website
Maine, United States

Our “East Coast” version of a West Coast-style IPA. Intense hop flavors and aromas of tropical and citrus fruits and pine dominate. A subtle malt sweetness brings the beer into balance.

(Beer added by: Jason on 05-10-2011)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lunch Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,223 | Reviews: 474 | Show All Ratings:
neurobot01

4.54/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Poured from bottle dated 2/18/14 into a pint glass.

Appearance: on the paler side of golden-yellow. Tons of bubble action, 1" foam head at doesn't seem to want to go away. Seriously intense head—I don't usually go in for hat feature, but bonus points just for execution.

Aroma: lots of spicy hop notes, with some faint earthiness, like damp rocks. Citrus/spice stings my nostrils if I inhale too deeply.

Taste: oh wow. Glorious! First sip just tastes like... good. There are individual favors there, but they just meld into a delicious whole. Definitely lots of citrus—pineapple, maybe some lime, grapefruit—along with a perfect amount of malt. Not really getting any of the earthiness I picked up in the nose, though if someone said they got some hay/barnyard character, I wouldn't disagree. Bitterness is really dialed in as well—fans of pure hops might find this too tame, but it's incredibly enjoyable to drink.

Feel: really creamy. Maybe I'm just being thrown by the head, but thus almost feels like nitro. Contributes perfectly to the quaffability of this brew.

Overall: I went into this with suppressed expectations; I've been trying some East Coast IPAs over the past few days, and generally not loving them. But this knocks it out of the park—might be my favorite all time single IPA.

04-19-2014 01:12:20 | More by neurobot01
gueuzedreg

Colorado

4.5/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Our “East Coast” version of a West Coast-style IPA. LOL, love it! On bottle it says to drink fresh, because hoppy beers don't age well. I will obey this. Thanks to papparoachy for being one of the most generous ba's I have had a pleasure to trade with.

A- Murky honey, medium medium-large lacing, white fluffy lacing, medium legs

S- Hint of jasmine in there, smells great with that, but lacks some other qualities of a good IPA S. Mild hoppy backbone that has a foggy smell in your nose.

T- This tastes like Zeelander but has more of a great IPA taste. Fluffy hoppy, bit malty. Nice and light, not overboard on anything. Def lunch

M- 5.0 on this. Crushes it just like Zeelander does on the M. Creamy as hell, nice and fluffy, so masterfully done on the M.

O- SO glad this great BA sent me this as an extra! Wow, so good!

04-12-2014 20:35:00 | More by gueuzedreg
gueuzeonhigh

Maine

4.23/5  rDev -3.4%

A wonderful pour!
Frothy sculptured head that laced the walls of my glass.
A subdued golden straw colored libation with a fruity prominent nose.
Whafts of citrus, hops eminated from this beer.

Flavor is glorious. Hops bitternets comingled with lemon zest and green apples with just a hind of malt underpinning-- almost like some sort of binder tying the flavor boquet together.

This beer produces a long zesty finish with a vibrancy that brings life to the palate-- this beer doesn't just complete its show and fade away-- rather it take a bow and comes back for an encore.

The mouthfeel goes along with the finish and flavor--.

Overall this is an IPA that I would make a specific request for. I would (and will) seek it out-- I'm going to have to keep some in the cellar to insure I've got year 'round stock.

Another magnificant creation by Maine Beer Company.

04-10-2014 00:45:05 | More by gueuzeonhigh
Tmyhre802

Vermont

4.2/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Outstanding beer, saved the best for my first MBC tasting. How will my palate recover!?

A-Beautiful golden that you expect from a high quality ipa.

S-good not great

T-WOW maybe my favorite taste on par with heady topper. Perfect balance of bite and smoothness/drink ability.

M-same as taste

O-wow my first mbc beer and it blew me away! Can't wait to get my hands on more ASAP. Well done everyone up in MAINE!

04-09-2014 00:43:29 | More by Tmyhre802
xungmound98

4.5/5  rDev +2.7%

(Bottle stamped within one month) Poured from bottle into tulip glass. 2” creamy head, semi-hazy bright orange in color, lively carbonation. Fresh, bright citrus and floral scent. Taste is hoppy citrus zest, some floral notes, subdued sugary malts. Well-balanced, finishes clean, medium-bodied with a creamy mouthfeel and slight alcohol warmth at finish. Overall, a delicious fresh IPA that I'd definitely seek out again.

04-07-2014 23:45:49 | More by xungmound98
RaulMondesi

4.49/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Lunch, dinner, supper, brunch, breakfast, midnight snack... You can call this sucker whatever you want and it will still be money.

Wow, this thang is vibrant like Katie Holmes after she divorced Tom Cruise... I mean, there is some life in this thing! A beautiful, gorgeous yellow hue is met by an aroma that would make waking up next to Adriana Lima seem like a day in the park.

Wow... should I move on?

Just delicate, so delicate are these wonderful tropical fruits. Like Miss Tahiti juicing me my morning beverage, this thing is spot on.

7 weeks old and it still pops hard...

Yes, Raul wouldn't mind this Lunch date over and over again.

04-07-2014 00:07:31 | More by RaulMondesi
mewanderinghome

Arizona

4.54/5  rDev +3.7%

The winner of a 3-way taste test between 2 east coast favorites both new to me (Maine Lunch and Heady Topper), and a Green Flash West Coast I'm very familiar with that I purchased as a "control."

My personal notes:
Maine makes West Coast taste flat, yet it's a far more balanced, drinkable beer than Heady. Quite yellow- nearly as yellow as HT and much more so than the reddish WC. Cloudy. Medium head (between that of WC and HT). Nose: a perfect balance of sweet and hoppy. Fruity but not as fruity as WC. Hoppy but not as crazily hoppy as HT. Nose hints sweeter than both. Taste follows suit. The winner. Awesome brew. Intense hops balanced by a sweetness that isn't overly malty. Even effervescent. A winner for sure. Now how to get it regularly in AZ..

PS Note that I finally decided to use my BA profile, so I'm entering reviews from my personal notes. i.e., I did NOT really drink 100+ IPAs this fine Saturday :)

04-06-2014 00:25:35 | More by mewanderinghome
WOBrewstraveler

4.99/5  rDev +13.9%

Enjoyed, no - loved, on tap at Plan B in Simsbury CT. This IPA, from the citrusy nose to the delicate lacing left on the goblet, to the outstanding, complex, citrusy, and yet not too bitter flavor, this IPA is absolutely delicious. I will look for it on bottle, because it's just not around enough here on tap.

04-05-2014 21:21:09 | More by WOBrewstraveler
glazeman

4.45/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I was quite impressed by this beer. The color was a hazy medium orange with a 1 finger white head. There was an excellent hop profile up front with nice notes of orange, lemon zest, and pine. Then it finishes with a nice balance with a little bit of malt that comes across as a light but smooth caramel. This beer is by no means sweet though and definitely focuses on the hops. Appropriate carbonation and great aftertaste. I could drink this all day.

03-28-2014 22:17:28 | More by glazeman
Qbdoo

4.06/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Got some good news today so I thought I'd treat myself to a special beer. I'd been waiting to try Maine Brewing Co. beers and especially Lunch. Well, I gotta say, it's good, but not quite what I'd expected. It looks fucking gorgeous. When I poured it, I thought, Oh my.... The scent is pleasantly citrusy but mild and the mouthfeel is just a bit thin. Feels more like a Pale Ale - a really good one. Taste is nice - orange and a bit of mango, but I'm not blown away. I'd like a bit more malt. A really solid beer, and probably a great summer beer, but I'd rather drink some more affordable IPAs.

Update: tried it on tap and it was truly outstanding. Scent is way more powerful and the taste too. Don't know if I got an old bottle but on tap this came close to living up to the hype.

03-28-2014 01:20:03 | More by Qbdoo
lanciloti

4.58/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Poured from the bottle into a snifter glass. (bottled 2/13/14)

Appearance: Hazy, golden orange color with a nice foamy / creamy head. Very bright white.

Smell: Piney, Grapefruit, Citrus with a little bit of a bread/biscuit malt.

Taste: Wow!. Exactly what I like. Super hoppy and hides the alcohol well, and has enough bready malt to make it very smooth and easy to drink. Definitely taste the Citrus and has a nice bite. After taste stays around for at least 10 minutes.

Mouthfeel: Dry and creamy. A little bit chewy but very smooth. Not too little and not too much carbonation.

Overall: Amazing beer. Almost reminds me of PTE but possibly better in my opinion. Very well made. I will continue to trade for this when I can. Cheers!

03-24-2014 03:20:08 | More by lanciloti
hops202

District of Columbia

4.75/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Poured into a dogfish spiegelau glass.

Supurb look upon first pour. Great golden honey color with plenty of transparancy. Aroma is true nectar of the gods - great fruity citrus smell. Little bit of pine and maybe even some white grape. Taste follows the nose and is incredible. A must buy if you ever see this. It is very rare in DC and was lucky to find some. I cleared the shelf promptly.

03-20-2014 22:41:08 | More by hops202
y2jrock60

4.5/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A- Dark yellow with a fluffy white head that leaves behind a moderate amount of lace.

S- Very aromatic, I can smell the hops across the room. Huge tropical fruit aroma along with citrus, pear, apple, spice, and floral notes.

T- Most of the aromas listed are present on the tongue. It's very clean and the hop flavor is clean and refreshing. It finishes crisp without an astringent lingering bitterness. It's very reminiscent of Jai Alai.

M- Low-moderate carbonation. It feels lighter than most IPAs.

O- A very tasty and refreshing IPA. It's really good, but I was honestly let down a little surround all the hype.

03-19-2014 23:19:38 | More by y2jrock60
SLeffler27

4.23/5  rDev -3.4%

The four-inch, frothy white head competes for space within the Dogfish Head fisheye pint glass. The hazed, honey-amber (SRM 8) beer with occasional carbonation eventually dominates as the head slowly, slow as in continental drift, turns rocky as it gives up sticky patches of lace.

Strong pineapple up front yields to fresh pine and grapefruit. Mandarin orange and floral notes come out later.

Lunch is far less intense in flavor profile than the nose would suggest. However, mild grapefruit and light caramel combine as bitterness builds into a lengthy finish. Sweetness does come out much later with fresh orange flavors.

Well carbonated with a medium body and soft woolly texture. Alcohol is as expected in this quite dry beer.

This is a great beer to enjoy while unwinding, but would go equally well with an afternoon ballgame.

03-16-2014 12:33:05 | More by SLeffler27
Omnium

4.26/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Bottle > Pint Glass

A - Semi hazed orange gold with a big two finger head of foamy white color, medium lacing.
S - Very fresh grassy tones with some fresh pressed grape and orange juice, bread malt. Light pine and citrus.
T - Not an overwhelming flavor, but very balanced and clean tasting, fresh grassy earth tones, white grape and sweet clementine fruit flavors, medium malt.
M - Very clean and bright feeling.
O - Excellent IPA, just very fresh and clean vibrant flavor

03-16-2014 02:13:38 | More by Omnium
schris

3.95/5  rDev -9.8%

Sometimes it is meet to begin a review by asking a question, and in this case, the question is what am I drinking? On the surface, this is easy to answer: I am drinking LUNCH, a highly regarded IPA by the Maine Beer Company. Let's talk about the taste before anything else: it tastes good. It tastes like beer - like the thing that, when I was 20 in college and still afraid of beer, would have carried the name. Since that time, I have ravaged my tastebuds with punishing inflictions of hops from bottles that carry the ridealong phrase "Imperial IPA" on enough occastions that I think I have numbed myself to the possibility of being overhopped. Context. But modulo that concern, this beer does not feel like an IPA to me. It is dry, and crisp, and I taste Belgian-style malt in the mix. The aroma is fruitless. It is a beer made of barley, only, and the hops are in your imagination. WAIT. There they are. They arrive like a waterfall at the end of a long hike through dense Hawaiian forest, and they back up the claim that yes, somewhere in here, is an American IPA. A neat trick.

Did I mention I really like it? Maybe today the weather is so nice that any beer would be a perfect accompaniement, but this is a great beer for a lunch break. Hope I can find DINNER some day.

03-14-2014 20:41:02 | More by schris
ricknelson

Vermont

Bought most of the beers that Maine Beer Co. was offering this past Fall with plans to do a tasting with six of my BA Buddies. But I wound up drinking them all with a couple of my beer buddies who attended my annual New Year's Party. Tasted Peeper Ale, Another One, Zoe, Mean Ole Tom, King Titus, Lil One, Lunch and Mo. Lunch and Mo were two of the eight Maine Beer Co. beers that I was really looking forward to tasting. Lunch did not dis-appoint me in any way. Outstanding is where I rated it and it was all of that.

03-13-2014 02:34:44 | More by ricknelson
AnthonyBeerdain

Connecticut

4.5/5  rDev +2.7%

Poured into a standard pint glass. Bottled on 28-Jan-2014.

Appearance
Hazy golden orange. Or as my wife puts it, "dehydrated pee." Nice silky-looking head with minuscule bubbles. Definitely unfiltered (as if they were lying). Head lasts as a film on the top of the beer until the last drop.

Aroma
Spicy hops. Malty sweetness. Pineapple? Citrus! No alcohol. Low esters. Non-phenolic, although some spicy phenols may be melding with the spiciness of the hops.

Flavor
This beer is just the right mix of hop bitterness, dank hoppy flavor and malt. Nothing seems out of balance. Nothing even peeks its head out more at one point before or after another flavor. Smooth as glass, tasty as a mofo. My glass doesn't spend much time on the coaster.

Mouthfeel
Medium bodied, how I like my ladies. Silky, how I like their undergarments.

Overall
What needs to be said? For some beers that have garnered a strong following there's no question as to why. The balance here is incredible. The flavors are just perfect and the contributions the hops, malts and yeast make come together for a wonderful experience. If you haven't had this beer, seek it out.

03-07-2014 23:59:27 | More by AnthonyBeerdain
Shroud0fdoom

Maryland

4.03/5  rDev -8%

16.9 oz. bottle* Look: Nice honey golden amber body, 1 finger white soapy head.

Smell: Oranges and grapefruit on first whiff, tropical flowers, mild spruce sap in the background, nice hints of toasted wheat.

Taste: Citrus fruits (tangerines and grapefruit) floral, pineapple, dank earthiness, herbs, resin, sweet bready malt, nice dose of bitterness, finishes dry with an aftertaste of spruce and citrus rind.

Feel: Medium-light body, tight fizzy carbonation.

Overall: This is hop forward. There is very little malt to balance but man is it easy to drink. Even though this is fresh, I still prefer MO over this. Call me a mad man, call me what you will. Don’t get me wrong I love the aroma and Centennial in the flavor. I just feel that this is lacking a little bit from being insanely great. I still recommend this to any IPA die hard fanatics.

03-04-2014 22:01:52 | More by Shroud0fdoom
magictacosinus

4.35/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

A big thanks to angrybabboon for managing to get me two bottles of this! Both were dated "12/3/13." Consumed about two weeks later. Poured out of a 500ml bottle into a tulip glass.

Pours a gorgeous West Coast-style IPA, indeed - sunset orange, with a frothy white head that rises upwards in the glass and leaves behind a ton of sticky foam and legs in its wake. Good legs, and a tremendously oily appearance throughout. Gets progressively cloudy the more that I pour it into the glass, but it still maintains a charming, rustic East Coast appearance throughout.

Smells vibrant and juicy, as I expected it to. Large notes of fresh grapefruit, tangerines, orange, cantaloupe, peach, and apricots, with a residual note of dank pine, sage, and white pepper. Very sweet and zesty at the front, with a finish that resembles caramel and toffee, as well as a bready grainy sensation that reminds me that I am indeed drinking a glass of beer and not a fresh squeezed glass of fruit juice. Really enticing, and very breezy stuff even here!

Wow! While the aroma definitely reminded me that this is a beer, the flavor may very well have fooled me otherwise. This tastes EXACTLY like a glass of freshly squeezed grapefruit juice, with lovely tropical notes (pineapple, guava) and stone fruit (mainly peaches) and citrus colliding into each other and producing a harmonious fruit cocktail. Creamy and bitter at the finish, but with a soft, comforting bready backbone that provides caramel and toffee and a yeasty thickness and spiciness that makes this a comfortable and complex drink. Floral, with notes of lavender, and the pine cleanses the palate at the finish. Super chewy, with excellent carbonation and feel that keeps together. This was amazingly quaffable - I can really see where the hype lies towards this. A true treat!

This was amazing - I couldn't stop reminiscing about this beer for weeks after consumption, and invited a friend to try the second bottle I had (4 weeks old, at that point). I was shocked with the results. The beer had completely changed into a one dimensional zesty flavor (mainly of lemons and faded grapefruit), and had become grainy and earthy with none of the juiciness I loved the first bottle for. This falls off rapidly, it seems, and I'd warn anyone of getting one of these to make sure that you know what you're getting is as fresh as possible. For that matter, it's a tricky beer for me to want to revisit. I would love to try this fresh on tap, one of these days...

03-04-2014 20:25:48 | More by magictacosinus
ItsMe

Ok so wow.

Pouring this into a snifter you get this burnt tangerine colored brew with a ridiculously huge foamy white head. Looks like someone put a huge dollop of whipped cream atop this lively carbonated brew.

as for the nose, super citrus notes, mango, nectarine, orange peel, with a faint sweetness. my nose often get a hit with a breadiness upfront wtih most IPAs...that's just me..this one just smells...juicy!

this beer tastes like a three way with natalie portman and beyonce.

This might be my new favorite in the style. cheers.

03-04-2014 00:53:39 | More by ItsMe
hoagzzz

2.98/5  rDev -32%

My first rating. Huge fan of the website. Overall glad I tried the beer but 75 bucks for a twelves of 16.9 oz bottles?? The equivalent of 105 bucks for a case? Total bullshit. Even more annoying is their do what's right propaganda. At these prices that's really in poor taste. Overall I'd give the beer a 93.

02-28-2014 02:37:33 | More by hoagzzz
cjgiant

District of Columbia

4.45/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Have had this numerous times (although not as much as I'd like). This is a nice citrus-based IPA from a very good brewer (as the other reviews show).

The beer pours with a hazy deep golden color, with good amount of head that clings to the side. The smell foreshadows the taste with a little smack of grapefruit, with some orange and an earthy feel. The taste starts with a crisp, woody "sweet" citrus taste - orange, sweet ruby grapefruit. The taste slowly transitions towards a grassy taste that turns slightly tart (lemon).

This beer hits my tastes almost perfectly: not overpoweringly bitter to begin, with some body, and transitions into a dry, bitter end. The end feel could pack a little more punch, but it's also nice not to be dried out by a sip.

02-23-2014 17:59:09 | More by cjgiant
bikesandbeers

Connecticut

3.66/5  rDev -16.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

I heard the hype and I'm just not that impressed. I drink a lot of IPA's and imperial IPA's both American and English and this over rated ale doesn't do it for me. Mouth feel is too light, where are the malts in this ale. Hoppy, yes but, again doesn't follow all the hype it gets as I don't get any malt sweetness. Don't get me wrong it's very good but, with all the hype, there are a lot of other ales out there that are better.

02-21-2014 02:01:56 | More by bikesandbeers
StoutItOutLoud

4.31/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

16.9-oz bottle to tulip. Bottled on 1/28/2014. Consumed 2/16/2014.

A: golden orange color, hazy. 1-finger white head. very soapy carbonation. the lacing's patchy.

S: very floral beer. orange juice, pineapple, mango.

T: very similar to Head Hunter - orange rind and pine needles, with the pine dominating the back half.

M: light watery mouthfeel, though the pine lingers for a looong time

if you like piney ipa's, try this. (try MO for their APA take while you're at it.)

02-16-2014 19:57:02 | More by StoutItOutLoud