1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Lunch - Maine Beer Company

LunchLunch

Maine Beer Company visit their website
Maine, United States

Our “East Coast” version of a West Coast-style IPA. Intense hop flavors and aromas of tropical and citrus fruits and pine dominate. A subtle malt sweetness brings the beer into balance.

(Beer added by: Jason on 05-10-2011)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lunch Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,218 | Reviews: 473 | Show All Ratings:
bishopdc0

Maine

Had at the Sebago end of an era special event. Shared it with my wife and bumped elbows with pretty much every major player in the Maine beer scene.

The color is golden straw slight cloudy with a generous head.

The aroma is is fruity hops very very fresh. Wonderful.

The taste well what can I say its probably the best IPA I've ever had. The taste is all hops but never overwhelming. The flavor starts sweet becomes a citrus hop flavor and ends with a slight bitter of hops flavor. Wonderful.

05-17-2011 22:19:47 | More by bishopdc0
Seakyden

I had this finally for the first time at the Hop Head Throwdown last month. It really blew me away, exceeded all the hype that had been placed upon it. So clean and delicious, i saw angels around me as i drank it. I hope to get my hands on a bottle of it in the next few months.

08-23-2011 14:00:59 | More by Seakyden
ackbarleywine

Maine Beer Company's Lunch is by far the finest IPA I've ever enjoyed. In reality, its comparables aren't IPAs but DIPAs like Heady Topper and Stone's Enjoy By series. Lunch manages a similar level of hop flavor and malt backbone with only 7% ABV. This blows the competition out of the water. The only drawbacks are that Lunch isn't sold in 6-packs and isn't always available, making it more like specialty DIPAs than other IPAs. Regardless, if you see a bottle for sale in your local craft beer shop: buy it!

02-15-2013 19:00:43 | More by ackbarleywine
ItsMe

Ok so wow.

Pouring this into a snifter you get this burnt tangerine colored brew with a ridiculously huge foamy white head. Looks like someone put a huge dollop of whipped cream atop this lively carbonated brew.

as for the nose, super citrus notes, mango, nectarine, orange peel, with a faint sweetness. my nose often get a hit with a breadiness upfront wtih most IPAs...that's just me..this one just smells...juicy!

this beer tastes like a three way with natalie portman and beyonce.

This might be my new favorite in the style. cheers.

03-04-2014 00:53:39 | More by ItsMe
WOBrewstraveler

4.99/5  rDev +13.9%

Enjoyed, no - loved, on tap at Plan B in Simsbury CT. This IPA, from the citrusy nose to the delicate lacing left on the goblet, to the outstanding, complex, citrusy, and yet not too bitter flavor, this IPA is absolutely delicious. I will look for it on bottle, because it's just not around enough here on tap.

04-05-2014 21:21:09 | More by WOBrewstraveler
Finatic

4.98/5  rDev +13.7%

Bottle dated 1-24-12 poured into a chilled Green Man Brewery pint glass.

A: Pours a dark orange color with a big white, frothy head that recedes every so slowly. Lacing thick and sticky and just hangs on the glass.

S: Huge hop notes sting the nostrils in a nice way, huge amounts of grapefruit, pineapple, mango and traces of pine as well.

T: Tastes just like it smells. Lots of citrus flavors overwhelm the palate. I like the piney aftertaste which is balanced perfectly and offsets the citrus nicely.

M: Medium bodied and perfect carbonation, has a nice resin-like sticky taste.

O: This would be in my fridge all the time if it were readily available in FL.

02-25-2012 00:21:34 | More by Finatic
weiserr

Connecticut

4.96/5  rDev +13.2%

Bottled on 5/21/13; poured into a Bell's nonic pint. I didn't seek this beer, it sought me and demanded that I consume it. Pouring itself into the aforementioned vessel, it jumped out of its holding container to exclaim, "I am IPA; marvel at me." A huge, two-finger cap of foam gives way to myriad lace patterns resembling broken guitar strings, frayed curtains, and shower-glass film residue. The nose is permeated by a citric cornucopia that is backed by just enough malt to create a majestic balance of hop perfection. To characterize the taste would never do this beer any justice, as words pale in comparison to the sheer pleasure that follows the first sip. As I consumed more, I began to sense a tectonic shift within the craft beer industry. This isn't just Maine Beer's version of a West Coast style IPA; this is their version of a better one. You know the brewer has struck a chord when you can hear the cherub and the seraphim rejoicing holy, holy, holy while you're drinking it. Maybe none of it was real. Maybe I woke up one morning and imagined what the perfect IPA would taste like. All I know is that this version of IPA is without rival. Rumors have already surfaced that it can re-grow hair on bald men, and resurrect lifeless medical patients from their catatonic state. You know what, I believe them. If you're fortunate enough to get your hands on this brew, consider yourself among the chosen. Ladies and Gentlemen, Lunch is served.

05-24-2013 20:45:16 | More by weiserr
WyethBednar

4.96/5  rDev +13.2%

In my (admittedly somewhat limited) experience thusfar, this has been my favorite IPA I've ever had. Pretty much everything about it was great, and the company is pretty cool as well. Got it on a whim after the clerk at my neighborhood beer store recommended it and now I'm gonna need to try to find more, which is supposedly kind of a hard task in Boston...

Appearance: A really nice, warm burnt amber. Not too hazy, but also not too clear. A really great 1 finger off white head that stuck around for the entire drink and had amazing lacing throughout.

Smell: This is what an IPA should smell like. Super inviting, very pronounced hops with cool citrusy notes.

Taste: Perfect. They nailed it. Crisp, refreshing, the perfect hops/malt balance for my taste and some subtle citrus.

Mouthfeel: Good carbonation, the head was really nice and the finish was brilliantly dry.

Even as a big fan and aspiring connoisseur of IPAs, this one stands out in my book. In a way, it's totally textbook American IPA, but it's done so perfectly in every aspect that it doesn't require any gimmicks or creative flavors to make it stand out. I highly recommend it.

02-09-2014 21:24:44 | More by WyethBednar
BEERMILER12

4.95/5  rDev +13%

Bottled on 5/18/2011, so only 2 days old. I'm extremely excited to try this new beer from Maine Beer Co. to say the least

A: Pours a cloudy golden copper color with at least 3 fingers worth of head that leaves amazing lacing down the glass. MBC never seems to disappoint here

S: Juicy grapefruit and orange are immediately what you get when you pop the bottle, simply amazing. Citrus hop bomb? Yes, please. I really can't describe how citrusy this beer smells at only 2 days after bottling. WOW

T: The taste follows the smell, and adds some piney hops in there for good measure. Slight peppery alcohol gives this beer a good substance behind all that citrus and pine hop goodness. A hop bomb, for sure

M: Medium body with literally the perfect amount of carbonation, lots of hop resins make this fairly slick

D/O: Amazing new beer from Maine Beer Co. Luckily, this is brewed 2 minutes from my house and I can get it this fresh, hopefully all the time now. Simply amazing IPA. Get this if you can!

05-20-2011 23:28:31 | More by BEERMILER12
Edward19

4.94/5  rDev +12.8%

Purchased this beer at Galeville Byrne Dairy in Liverpool, NY. I am very impressed with the quality of this beer. Outstanding smell of pine and grapefruit. The taste is exactly what i am looking for in an IPA - grapefruit, pine and citrus. This is by far one of the best ipa's i have ever had. If you like ipa's this is a must have.

12-21-2013 00:32:05 | More by Edward19
omniscientcause

4.93/5  rDev +12.6%

Bottle served in a spiegel tulip glass.

A: Deep amber orange with a two to two and a half finger width fluffy head. Great retention and head on this beer.

S: FRESH, citrus peach orange and grapefruit washed in with floral nodes.

T: Starts big with fruity citrus upfront with pine coming in the middle with underlying malt. The light bitterness that is left in the mouth is very pleasant.

M: Light carbonation with a unlatch balance of pine/citrus/malt of any east coast IPA I have had to date.

This is so fresh and refreshing. Great summer beer. I have had the pleasure of having this beer on 3 occasions in the last month and each time it was fresh and great. The pop when being opened was strong. When very fresh I would say this rivals the best of the west. I wish Maine Beer Co. the best of luck in the future in producing beer that both rivals and surpass this beer.

08-30-2011 04:00:04 | More by omniscientcause
kristiekatk

4.93/5  rDev +12.6%

Lunch pours a hazy golden orange with a creamy and billowing white head that lasts throughout the entirety of the beer. The aroma will hit you right away. It’s like squeezing a fresh grapefruit. You get more of that grapefruit in your first sip as well as other tropical fruits and an herbal hoppiness. Then you think, “OK IPA, time to overpower me with hops, so much so that I have to rinse my mouth when I’m done .” But it never happens. The grainy malts come in to help tame the bitterness, and the hops don’t even come close to taking over this beer. Instead, they provide an integrating piney/citrusy freshness. The toasted malts are amazing, adding great balance and a smooth finish.

Any brewery can make a hop bomb, but it takes true craft to make a balanced and simply fantastic IPA.

12-24-2012 19:05:42 | More by kristiekatk
donkeyrunner

4.9/5  rDev +11.9%

Bottle invites consumers to "just keep swimming." This is also a common ultrarunning mantra.

Translucent cowardly lion yellow color. Thick, shaving cream white head sticks all over like...well, shaving cream. I never thought I'd give a 5 to an IPA that didn't have crystal clear complexion but here it is.

Smells and tastes just like ruby red grapefruit and pineapple. Not hops that smell like grapefruit and pineapple but the actually fruits themselves all up in my face. Love it. Bubblegum and sweet malty backup round out the aroma.

Taste is the aforementioned grapefruit and pineapple with sweet honey malt. Perfect amount of bitterness that invites sip after sip and was gone before I knew it. If I ever see this on tap I'm in trouble. Ample hop resin but I'd like more.

Off the top of my head one of my top 10 all time IPAs.

06-03-2011 00:09:43 | More by donkeyrunner
GuyIncognito

4.9/5  rDev +11.9%

I wanted to revisit this beer. The first time I had it, I was just getting into IPAs, and it blew me away.
My first sip was solid grapefruit. I mean like James Cagney smashing a half grapefruit into your face. I think the beer was too cold, because as it warmed up I got more of the skunky/ganja/pine hops that I remembered from the first time. The finish was dry and short, and left you wanting another sip as soon as you finished the first one! This is an amazing "East Coast" IPA from a one barrel, eco-friendly brewery. It is a hidden gem, and you should seek it out wherever possible.
Bottle marked 8-10-12, one month old when I tried it.

09-19-2012 01:21:30 | More by GuyIncognito
ChrisKayler

4.89/5  rDev +11.6%

Glass: Odell's Rastal Tulip.

Appearance: Hazy golden orange, no particulates. An aggresive pour produced three fingers of head that lingered for at least 5 minutes. Tons of head! A rim of foam remained around the edges of the glass. Tons of thick lacing was retained with each sip. Perfect.

Smell: Hoppy and happy! Grapefruit forefront, lemon zest and citrus in the background. Slight mango and tropical fruit sweetness was also to be found in lesser amounts.

Taste: Strong bitterness upfront. Piney. This transitions relatively quickly to grapefruit and citrus. The aftertaste, which is perhaps my favorite part, lingers on and on with a beautiful tropical fruit sweetness.

Mouthfeel: Light-medium mouthfeel with medium-high carbonation. Oily yet dry hoppy finish.

Overall: The best IPA I've had to date. Flavorful, but subtle at the same time. The alcohol is masked perfectly and is nowhere to be found for me. It looks great in the glass, it smells great, and it tastes great. I am in love.

06-18-2013 02:04:06 | More by ChrisKayler
jstilwell

4.88/5  rDev +11.4%

So far have loved everything from Maine beer. Lets pop this open. Golden/orangy pour with a sizable white head that settles down. First whiff, we have a winner! Is this another tropical IPA? I'm getting the grapefruit and piney hops in the nose, it is very aromatic, similar to Flower Power. Mild bitterness starts the tasting experience, nice bready malt in the background blends with tasty hops. Considering all of the strong flavors, this is light on the tongue and very drinkable with a quick dry finish. This is among the best IPA's that I have ever had. I'm not getting the real tropical flavor that the nose exudes, but it is damn near perfect. Maine Beer Company is 4:4 with me! Fantastic

05-25-2011 00:12:31 | More by jstilwell
TheManiacalOne

Rhode Island

4.88/5  rDev +11.4%

Acquired from svosie, so a big “Thank You” goes out to her. Poured from a 16.9oz bottle into an imperial pint glass.

A: The beer is a deep amber color with a large off-white head that fades very slowly and leaves a thick on the glass.

S: The aroma contains floral hops, caramelized malts and fruity citrus.

T: The taste starts out with a citrus and caramel sweetness. Then a strong but not over-powering hops presence comes in. The malt character is hearty but not too heavy and creates a good balance and creates an excellent balance. The after-taste is slightly hoppy and slightly sweet.

M: Very smooth and very crisp, medium body, medium carbonation, finish is very clean.

D: Very tasty, goes down quite easily, not too filling, good kick, excellent representation of style, this is a great beer to drink for a whole evening.

12-14-2011 05:15:04 | More by TheManiacalOne
Gatch

4.88/5  rDev +11.4%

Review #400 and finally got my hands on some Lunch! Bottled 08/10/12 (or 08/18/12...I can't tell. Either way, it's not as fresh as I'd hoped, judging by fresher dates on beers such as MO...but hey, can't complain!)

A: Hazy golden-orange-yellow because some of the sediment made it into the glass. Perfect IPA head that's incredibly bubbly, soapy, foamy, frothy, and bright white. Fades into good lace and retention.

S: Massive, juicy, piney, earthy, spicy, fruity hops. Like you have a handful of hops in front of your nose. Everything I expected. Although there's a bit of malt and booze at the very back which is a good surprise.

T: Everything in the nose plus more. Dry but refreshing. Again, everything I hoped for and expected from this beer. Beers like this really make you appreciate the nugget of goodness that is the hop. This is where the hop shines. A hop-heavy but balanced American IPA. Can't beat it.

M: Subtle crispness, clean, perfectly carbonated, perfect hop presence, flavors are on-point for a hop-forward yet balanced American IPA. At this point, the beer is practically at room temperature and the flavors are huge and the taste is still delicious. At room temperature, the carbonation disappears and only fruity, hoppy flavors come through and it almost tastes like hop juice with body. Literally. Not in a gross way, either.

O: Worth the hype? Yes. Worth the money? Absolutely yes! (only $7 or $8) Worth the stress/patience/limited availability? Probably not. It's obviously not Maine Beer's fault. They make as much as they can. And it's great for their business and beer that they sell every drop they make. But once they increase production, it'll really makes things special because I waited for this for a long time. And while it met and maybe even surpassed my expectations, the allocations are crazy. Each store getting only a case and those cases either never seeing the floor or selling out the day the bottles hit the shelves. All of their other beers are spectacular so I don't see why those don't sell out immediately, either. Especially MO and Zoe. Anyway...why did I just rant in a beer review? Drink this immediately if you find it!

Thanks BeerAdvocate for all the hard work, the great, new site, and keeping me around for 400 reviews. It's been fun. I'm sure there are several hundred more reviews to come.

Update 9/21: drank another bottle dated 9/9...incredible, even fresher, could chug it (but why would you do that?), the bottle went down so quickly; the reviews and ratings are justified.

09-07-2012 01:35:49 | More by Gatch
JMScowcroft

Vermont

look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Maine Beer Company - Lunch

This was the one I wanted in the first place but I stumbled across almost all their other ones in the process. Save the best for last! Dated 5/21, consumed 5/30, can't get much better than that!

Look - Poured into a Craftgeer snifter, it is a hazy caramel orange with a nice soapy head that dissipates quickly and leaves rings of sticky lacing. Beautiful!

Smell - Nose is grapefruit, lemon, and orange citrus hop bomb with some bite, the semi-sweet malt takes a backseat but is present in all the right ways. Hearty and hoppy.

Taste - Nice snappy juicy citrus hop kick in the face followed by a graceful introduction to some piney bitter. Malt is bready and blends well.

Mouthfeel - Feel is dry bitter pine hops. This has great drinkability, carbonation is towards heavy and in conjunction with the malts you get a medium body. Booziness is low and welcoming.

Overall - This is an amazing and unique beer that is like a fusion of East and West (Think Pliny and Double Sunshine, but give it credit for being its own brew). 100% absolutely recommend this brew and Maine Beer Company in general.

05-31-2013 15:31:38 | More by JMScowcroft
Mises85

4.86/5  rDev +11%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Had this on tap in a pint glass.

Appearance: not much head at all. chestnut color with nice bubbles.

Smell: Unbelievable. Beautiful citrus, grapefruit, pineapple, pine with a touch of malt sweetness

Taste: more beautiful tropical fruit, touch of oiliness, hops, ever so slight amount of orange and bitterness. some lacing although not very much.

Mouthfeel: one of the smoothest IPA's I have ever had. I don't think I have ever had an IPA where it just went down with no discernible bitter aftertaste. What a glorious beer company.

01-17-2014 01:19:51 | More by Mises85
Treebs

4.85/5  rDev +10.7%

Poured from a 500ml bottle into my Bell's tulip. Got this in a mystery box from my BA buddy Mike. Thanks man!! Bottled 07/21/11.

A: Pours a deep amber, almost light brown color. What a head! 3 finger and off white after a semi-slow pour this bad boy is incredibly frothy and has some ridiculous retention. Pillows of lace. This almost looks like craters on the moon, amazing.

S: I'm getting great citrus and pear notes. Reminds me of a flowery fruit basket. I'm getting the ever so slightest of the cracker malts as well. Again I'm impressed so far.

T: A perfectly blended sweetness of fruits, apples and pears, and light flowers. The cracker malts lead in to the mild bitter hops on the finish and you have a simple yet elegant beer. Great.

M: Perfectly carbonated. Medium to light bodied with a great pear like fruitiness left on the palate.

O: Wow. I'm ridiculous impressed with this one. The best IPA I've had to date. It was just perfectly balanced and simply wreaked havoc (in a good way) on my taste buds. I wanted more and more. I need more and more. I love it.

08-27-2011 13:45:30 | More by Treebs
pjkelley82

4.85/5  rDev +10.7%

Wow...

I visited Maine February 2013.... went to several beer pubs/brewerys and took the beer bus tour... fabulous I might add.... Maine was the forefront for me to become a fan of IPA's. The reason being.... I think.... besides they make kick ass beer... is the water they use... it's sooo smooth. They make alot of my favorite beers so I would urge anyone who hasn't tried a beer made in Maine to try one cause it's worth it... now....

Bottle read; Enjoy this beer fresh, hoppy beers do not age well. Which appears twivery. Pour carefully a fine layer of yeast is on the bottom please chill upright. Bottle conditioned (my favorite ).

Bottled on 5/21/13. Enjoyed on 6/18/13 not bad I'd say.... says to drink within 90 days of date.

Poured into a tulip glass....

Thick thick thick head... nice golden copper color with plenty of bubbles. Again.... very thick head.... stayed a ridiculasly long time. lacing was sticky and stayed a long time... pretty much until my last 3 sips . now's the time to smell it... wow.... to me, more hoppy piny taste but there goes the grapefruit and the citrus.... very clean smelling... smell again.... very nice piny lemony smell... a great looking beer and smelling beer...

Keep in mind I know how smooth Maine beers are so now I'm dying with anticipation...

Wow.... did someone just smack me on the tongue with a sack of hops.... but just like that first good iPa I drank in Maine in February 13 it slowly faded away so smoothly, like it was never there... but so crisp that you want more and more... anyhoo... big bold hops is forward and pretty much stays there throughout the taste experience but the other flavors start to pull out almost immediately after the initial hop shock.... grapefruit, citrus and lemon, to me very light but very malty... what I like. Finish is superb just like any Maine beer. Very crisp... a tad dry bit beautiful... leaves the pleasant hoppy aftertaste you are looking for. You want more and more. 7% alcohol is slightly hidden but all categories in this beer are perfectly balanced so it's there but it's not....

Quite frankly to date the best IPA I've had... now... I've had better beers... DIPA's, tripels.. etc... but far beats alot of the ones I have personally had.

I gave it a high ranking because of the ranking within the particular beer style.
Put it this way... if you see it on the shelf and are into IPA's than I'd say without a doubt get it. This is a beer I would highly recommend to IPA fans.

06-18-2013 20:09:41 | More by pjkelley82
cosmicevan

4.83/5  rDev +10.3%

bottle arrived in the mail today (thanks Gary - blessedbebeer!!!)...so it would be criminal to not drink this as fresh as possible. opened and filled my capt lawrence taster tulip.

LOT072111 (SUPER fresh)

a - wow, that's different. murky brown, almost orange. this is opaque. it is weird. HUGE frothy ipa head. point for different, loss of points for so odd to style.

s - OH YUM. candy. hops. hops candy. big citric and orange notes. tangerine. very fruity, very awesome smelling. my mouth is watering of the thought of the flavor.

t - again, candied hops. this is pretty spot on for my palette. the soft light fruit medley is soooo good. it is amazing. the hops are perfect, the sweetness is perfect.

m - mouth is good.

o - i'm giving this beer the full monty. a 5 on overall. the look is weird, the mouth is normal, but the smell and taste are my definition of what the perfect ipa should taste like. this beer being bottled a little over a week ago makes it one of the freshest ipas i've ever tasted, so perhaps that adds to it, but this beer is incredible. i recently spotted maine brewing stuff locally and hope that this one makes it out here since i'd buy up the lot and drink them all the time. thank you maine brewing company for bottling my perfect ipa.

08-02-2011 01:15:32 | More by cosmicevan
brydeen

bottle date 01-24-12

A: Pours a hazy copper color, with a massive frothy 3 inch white head. Hangs around for a while with sticky lacing clinging the whole way.

S: Nose hits instantly with a citrus explosion. Lots of orange, grapefruit, as well as some tropical notes. Maybe mango? Quite possibly the best smelling IPA I've had.

T: A pungent, bitter hop bite right off the bat. The citrus from the nose is there, but much more subtle. Nice dry finish.

M: Light-medium body with a really creamy texture.

O: An excellent drinking experience. Any IPA lover should go out of their way to try this.

02-28-2012 02:23:01 | More by brydeen
hoody711

4.83/5  rDev +10.3%

Gotta thank my dad for sending me 4 of these bad boys. Apparently he can buy cases of it through a hook-up in Bar Harbor, ME. Jealous. Anyways, accidentally forgot about this one and thus, this review is based on accidental aging of about 3 months. I'll try to remember what it was like fresh, and compare.

A - pours a nice bronze amber into my goblet. Good 2 finger head that settles and is already leaving nice lacing. No sediment. Very nice.

S - amazing. Nice citrus, maybe a little resiny, with some decent bready sweetness mid-nose. No sign of any booze. I remember more citrus and earthy hops when it was fresh.

T - yep, the months have killed off the hoppy bitterness here, as expected. What's left is still a very balanced maltiness, with just a touch of bitterness at the end. I compared the taste of this to Abrasive back when I first had it. Really, really good balance.

M - medium bodied, the bitterness sticks around a bit at the end. Carbonation really leaves a nice crisp, if bitter, finish. Still no sign of booze.

O - Maine Beer Company has earned the world-class rating with this one. Jesus Christ it's good! Buy as often as possible, and enjoy fresh.

07-06-2012 00:39:40 | More by hoody711