Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Lunch - Maine Beer Company

LunchLunch

Wants: 1,047
Maine Beer Company visit their website
Maine, United States

Beer added by: Jason on 05-10-2011

Our “East Coast” version of a West Coast-style IPA. Intense hop flavors and aromas of tropical and citrus fruits and pine dominate. A subtle malt sweetness brings the beer into balance.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lunch Alström Bros
Reviews: 621 | Hads: 4,212

Had at the Sebago end of an era special event. Shared it with my wife and bumped elbows with pretty much every major player in the Maine beer scene.

The color is golden straw slight cloudy with a generous head.

The aroma is is fruity hops very very fresh. Wonderful.

The taste well what can I say its probably the best IPA I've ever had. The taste is all hops but never overwhelming. The flavor starts sweet becomes a citrus hop flavor and ends with a slight bitter of hops flavor. Wonderful. (495 characters)

Look: A hazy golden blonde with a thick and aggressive white head. Moderate activity and beautiful lacing.

Smell: Thick and pungent with hints of tropical citrus and pine. Getting pineapple, peaches, nectarine, and a nice pine pop with mild sweet malt. Smells on par with some of the best west coast offerings I've had.

Taste: Wow that is different. The attack is big pitted fruit like biting into a juicy nectarine followed by a big splash of peach followed by a beautiful malt that balances perfectly but gives way to a nice lingering simcoe finish. Fantastic.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied and wet. Mild to medium bitter. Finish is some what dry but still wets the palate.

Overall: This is one beautifully fine tuned beer. I love the big nectarine and peach notes with big simcoe and Amarillo hop notes the malt is balanced beautifully and I love the simcoe finish. This beer was obliviously fine tuned and lovingly crafted. A east coast IPA to challenge all west coast IPAs. The best IPA I have had since Alpine. Check it out (1,032 characters)

Finally got my hands on a bottle of lunch and was not dissapointed! Begins with a great looking amber color. Smell is a nice mix of citrus and pine. Classic ipa flavor without the bitterness that some have. Smooth finish. One of the best ipas I've had. Just wish I could get my hands on more. (292 characters)

Ok so wow.

Pouring this into a snifter you get this burnt tangerine colored brew with a ridiculously huge foamy white head. Looks like someone put a huge dollop of whipped cream atop this lively carbonated brew.

as for the nose, super citrus notes, mango, nectarine, orange peel, with a faint sweetness. my nose often get a hit with a breadiness upfront wtih most IPAs...that's just me..this one just smells...juicy!

this beer tastes like a three way with natalie portman and beyonce.

This might be my new favorite in the style. cheers. (542 characters)

Had a bottle on 01/15/2015 that was bottled on 12/30/2014. Super fresh for my first lunch!

A: hazy, golden, semi-opaque IPA

S: a mix of pineapples, grapefruit and pine

T: big piney bitterness up front, lots of dank and then all of a sudden transitions to a the smoothest IPA finish I've had

O: I've waited a long time for this and was not disappointed. I loved another one but this is even better. Perfect taste for me. Has all of my favorite notes: pine, dank, tropical fruit plus a smooth finish (505 characters)

Maine Beer Company's Lunch is by far the finest IPA I've ever enjoyed. In reality, its comparables aren't IPAs but DIPAs like Heady Topper and Stone's Enjoy By series. Lunch manages a similar level of hop flavor and malt backbone with only 7% ABV. This blows the competition out of the water. The only drawbacks are that Lunch isn't sold in 6-packs and isn't always available, making it more like specialty DIPAs than other IPAs. Regardless, if you see a bottle for sale in your local craft beer shop: buy it! (509 characters)

I had this finally for the first time at the Hop Head Throwdown last month. It really blew me away, exceeded all the hype that had been placed upon it. So clean and delicious, i saw angels around me as i drank it. I hope to get my hands on a bottle of it in the next few months. (278 characters)

4.99/5  rDev +15.5%

Enjoyed, no - loved, on tap at Plan B in Simsbury CT. This IPA, from the citrusy nose to the delicate lacing left on the goblet, to the outstanding, complex, citrusy, and yet not too bitter flavor, this IPA is absolutely delicious. I will look for it on bottle, because it's just not around enough here on tap. (312 characters)

4.99/5  rDev +15.5%

Really hard to find fault with this beer in any way, shape or form. Best IPA I have had from the Eastern part of the US and safe t say one of the best beers I have ever drank (to be fair my bottle was purchased at their brewery and drank shortly after). Really hope this brewery can grow. (290 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +15%

Bottle dated 1-24-12 poured into a chilled Green Man Brewery pint glass.

A: Pours a dark orange color with a big white, frothy head that recedes every so slowly. Lacing thick and sticky and just hangs on the glass.

S: Huge hop notes sting the nostrils in a nice way, huge amounts of grapefruit, pineapple, mango and traces of pine as well.

T: Tastes just like it smells. Lots of citrus flavors overwhelm the palate. I like the piney aftertaste which is balanced perfectly and offsets the citrus nicely.

M: Medium bodied and perfect carbonation, has a nice resin-like sticky taste.

O: This would be in my fridge all the time if it were readily available in FL. (665 characters)

4.96/5  rDev +14.8%

In my (admittedly somewhat limited) experience thusfar, this has been my favorite IPA I've ever had. Pretty much everything about it was great, and the company is pretty cool as well. Got it on a whim after the clerk at my neighborhood beer store recommended it and now I'm gonna need to try to find more, which is supposedly kind of a hard task in Boston...

Appearance: A really nice, warm burnt amber. Not too hazy, but also not too clear. A really great 1 finger off white head that stuck around for the entire drink and had amazing lacing throughout.

Smell: This is what an IPA should smell like. Super inviting, very pronounced hops with cool citrusy notes.

Taste: Perfect. They nailed it. Crisp, refreshing, the perfect hops/malt balance for my taste and some subtle citrus.

Mouthfeel: Good carbonation, the head was really nice and the finish was brilliantly dry.

Even as a big fan and aspiring connoisseur of IPAs, this one stands out in my book. In a way, it's totally textbook American IPA, but it's done so perfectly in every aspect that it doesn't require any gimmicks or creative flavors to make it stand out. I highly recommend it. (1,150 characters)

4.96/5  rDev +14.8%

Bottled on 5/21/13; poured into a Bell's nonic pint. I didn't seek this beer, it sought me and demanded that I consume it. Pouring itself into the aforementioned vessel, it jumped out of its holding container to exclaim, "I am IPA; marvel at me." A huge, two-finger cap of foam gives way to myriad lace patterns resembling broken guitar strings, frayed curtains, and shower-glass film residue. The nose is permeated by a citric cornucopia that is backed by just enough malt to create a majestic balance of hop perfection. To characterize the taste would never do this beer any justice, as words pale in comparison to the sheer pleasure that follows the first sip. As I consumed more, I began to sense a tectonic shift within the craft beer industry. This isn't just Maine Beer's version of a West Coast style IPA; this is their version of a better one. You know the brewer has struck a chord when you can hear the cherub and the seraphim rejoicing holy, holy, holy while you're drinking it. Maybe none of it was real. Maybe I woke up one morning and imagined what the perfect IPA would taste like. All I know is that this version of IPA is without rival. Rumors have already surfaced that it can re-grow hair on bald men, and resurrect lifeless medical patients from their catatonic state. You know what, I believe them. If you're fortunate enough to get your hands on this brew, consider yourself among the chosen. Ladies and Gentlemen, Lunch is served. (1,454 characters)

4.95/5  rDev +14.6%

Bottled on 5/18/2011, so only 2 days old. I'm extremely excited to try this new beer from Maine Beer Co. to say the least

A: Pours a cloudy golden copper color with at least 3 fingers worth of head that leaves amazing lacing down the glass. MBC never seems to disappoint here

S: Juicy grapefruit and orange are immediately what you get when you pop the bottle, simply amazing. Citrus hop bomb? Yes, please. I really can't describe how citrusy this beer smells at only 2 days after bottling. WOW

T: The taste follows the smell, and adds some piney hops in there for good measure. Slight peppery alcohol gives this beer a good substance behind all that citrus and pine hop goodness. A hop bomb, for sure

M: Medium body with literally the perfect amount of carbonation, lots of hop resins make this fairly slick

D/O: Amazing new beer from Maine Beer Co. Luckily, this is brewed 2 minutes from my house and I can get it this fresh, hopefully all the time now. Simply amazing IPA. Get this if you can! (1,001 characters)

4.94/5  rDev +14.4%

Purchased this beer at Galeville Byrne Dairy in Liverpool, NY. I am very impressed with the quality of this beer. Outstanding smell of pine and grapefruit. The taste is exactly what i am looking for in an IPA - grapefruit, pine and citrus. This is by far one of the best ipa's i have ever had. If you like ipa's this is a must have. (332 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +13.9%

The best single IPA I have ever had. Amazingly clean taste, not too bitter, but plenty of hop flavor that lasts throughout the entire sip. I need to try more beers from these guys... (182 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +13.9%

Bottle served in a spiegel tulip glass.

A: Deep amber orange with a two to two and a half finger width fluffy head. Great retention and head on this beer.

S: FRESH, citrus peach orange and grapefruit washed in with floral nodes.

T: Starts big with fruity citrus upfront with pine coming in the middle with underlying malt. The light bitterness that is left in the mouth is very pleasant.

M: Light carbonation with a unlatch balance of pine/citrus/malt of any east coast IPA I have had to date.

This is so fresh and refreshing. Great summer beer. I have had the pleasure of having this beer on 3 occasions in the last month and each time it was fresh and great. The pop when being opened was strong. When very fresh I would say this rivals the best of the west. I wish Maine Beer Co. the best of luck in the future in producing beer that both rivals and surpass this beer. (877 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +13.9%

Lunch pours a hazy golden orange with a creamy and billowing white head that lasts throughout the entirety of the beer. The aroma will hit you right away. It’s like squeezing a fresh grapefruit. You get more of that grapefruit in your first sip as well as other tropical fruits and an herbal hoppiness. Then you think, “OK IPA, time to overpower me with hops, so much so that I have to rinse my mouth when I’m done .” But it never happens. The grainy malts come in to help tame the bitterness, and the hops don’t even come close to taking over this beer. Instead, they provide an integrating piney/citrusy freshness. The toasted malts are amazing, adding great balance and a smooth finish.

Any brewery can make a hop bomb, but it takes true craft to make a balanced and simply fantastic IPA. (802 characters)

4.91/5  rDev +13.7%

Phenomenal brew with a ridiculously high drinkability. The initial taste is mild (with warm notes of clove honey), but gradually intensifies as the hoppiness takes over. (169 characters)

4.91/5  rDev +13.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Date: 5-13-14
Location: Foodtown Express Yonkers
Glassware: Tulip

Appearance: Yellow to light amber in color this beer pours with a gorgeous off white head. The beer is hazy but lets in a lot of light when held up. Light viscous ring.
Aroma: Mouthwatering fruit aromas from the hops start us off with scents of grapefruit, orange, mango. Lesser aromas of the malts which seem to help accentuate the hops and a light yeast aroma as well.
Taste: There is an absolute beauty to this fresh hop combo as sipping the beer quenches my thirst and makes my mouth water at the same time. The hops are bitter but balance a fine line avoiding being too much so. The malts absolutely help to balance the beer out giving the beer a subtle back bone. The yeast also plays it's hand adding buttery smooth aspect.
Mouthfeel: Medium to heavy in body with high carbonation. The hops give a beer a great bitterness. The hop acids dominate the palate leaving a nice spice sensation when the beer is finished.

Notes: Bottled 4-29-14 I also consumed this beer at Tap & Barrel on Long Island a week ago and again absolutely loved the beer. (1,121 characters)

4.9/5  rDev +13.4%

Bottle invites consumers to "just keep swimming." This is also a common ultrarunning mantra.

Translucent cowardly lion yellow color. Thick, shaving cream white head sticks all over like...well, shaving cream. I never thought I'd give a 5 to an IPA that didn't have crystal clear complexion but here it is.

Smells and tastes just like ruby red grapefruit and pineapple. Not hops that smell like grapefruit and pineapple but the actually fruits themselves all up in my face. Love it. Bubblegum and sweet malty backup round out the aroma.

Taste is the aforementioned grapefruit and pineapple with sweet honey malt. Perfect amount of bitterness that invites sip after sip and was gone before I knew it. If I ever see this on tap I'm in trouble. Ample hop resin but I'd like more.

Off the top of my head one of my top 10 all time IPAs. (835 characters)

4.9/5  rDev +13.4%

Glass: Odell's Rastal Tulip.

Appearance: Hazy golden orange, no particulates. An aggresive pour produced three fingers of head that lingered for at least 5 minutes. Tons of head! A rim of foam remained around the edges of the glass. Tons of thick lacing was retained with each sip. Perfect.

Smell: Hoppy and happy! Grapefruit forefront, lemon zest and citrus in the background. Slight mango and tropical fruit sweetness was also to be found in lesser amounts.

Taste: Strong bitterness upfront. Piney. This transitions relatively quickly to grapefruit and citrus. The aftertaste, which is perhaps my favorite part, lingers on and on with a beautiful tropical fruit sweetness.

Mouthfeel: Light-medium mouthfeel with medium-high carbonation. Oily yet dry hoppy finish.

Overall: The best IPA I've had to date. Flavorful, but subtle at the same time. The alcohol is masked perfectly and is nowhere to be found for me. It looks great in the glass, it smells great, and it tastes great. I am in love. (1,000 characters)

4.9/5  rDev +13.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Bottled on date of 4/15/2014
So glad I got to try this time sensitive beer pretty fresh. To start; this is absolutely wonderful and smooth to drink. Golden in color with a very serious head that was quite intense. Aroma is a bouquet of citrus and floral with some mild earthiness mixed in too. Tastes of wonderful grapefruit, some hops and citrus notes as well. Virtually no bitterness and extremely well balanced, complex, and very easy to drink. This "lunch" is somewhat medium bodied, creamy, has a little warming alcohol at the end, and finishes cleanly on the palate. Overall, this american ipa, truly is worthy of trying and is masterfully crafted! (654 characters)

4.9/5  rDev +13.4%

Stopped at their tasting room on my way home from Boothbay and tried this one on draft. It was everything I had hoped it would be. My only regret is that the 6 bottles I picked up will run out quickly and I'll have to wait until we visit Maine again next summer. still glad that I had an opportunity to finally try this great beer. (333 characters)

4.89/5  rDev +13.2%

I wanted to revisit this beer. The first time I had it, I was just getting into IPAs, and it blew me away.
My first sip was solid grapefruit. I mean like James Cagney smashing a half grapefruit into your face. I think the beer was too cold, because as it warmed up I got more of the skunky/ganja/pine hops that I remembered from the first time. The finish was dry and short, and left you wanting another sip as soon as you finished the first one! This is an amazing "East Coast" IPA from a one barrel, eco-friendly brewery. It is a hidden gem, and you should seek it out wherever possible.
Bottle marked 8-10-12, one month old when I tried it. (644 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +13%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

On tap, pours light golden with white frothy, clingy head. The citrus and fruit smells are amazing. Perhaps the smoothest, most balanced IPA I've tried. This one begs for a long session. Everything good about the aroma comes through in the flavor. Finish is clean, and somewhat fruity. Best IPA I've had to date. Great stuff. (325 characters)

Lunch from Maine Beer Company