Lunch - Maine Beer Company

LunchLunch

Maine Beer Company visit their website
Maine, United States

Beer added by: Jason on 05-10-2011

Our “East Coast” version of a West Coast-style IPA. Intense hop flavors and aromas of tropical and citrus fruits and pine dominate. A subtle malt sweetness brings the beer into balance.
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lunch Alström Bros
4.95/5  rDev +12.5%

4.95/5  rDev +12.5%

4.94/5  rDev +12.3%

Purchased this beer at Galeville Byrne Dairy in Liverpool, NY. I am very impressed with the quality of this beer. Outstanding smell of pine and grapefruit. The taste is exactly what i am looking for in an IPA - grapefruit, pine and citrus. This is by far one of the best ipa's i have ever had. If you like ipa's this is a must have.

4.94/5  rDev +12.3%

4.93/5  rDev +12%

4.93/5  rDev +12%

4.92/5  rDev +11.8%

Bottle served in a spiegel tulip glass.

A: Deep amber orange with a two to two and a half finger width fluffy head. Great retention and head on this beer.

S: FRESH, citrus peach orange and grapefruit washed in with floral nodes.

T: Starts big with fruity citrus upfront with pine coming in the middle with underlying malt. The light bitterness that is left in the mouth is very pleasant.

M: Light carbonation with a unlatch balance of pine/citrus/malt of any east coast IPA I have had to date.

This is so fresh and refreshing. Great summer beer. I have had the pleasure of having this beer on 3 occasions in the last month and each time it was fresh and great. The pop when being opened was strong. When very fresh I would say this rivals the best of the west. I wish Maine Beer Co. the best of luck in the future in producing beer that both rivals and surpass this beer.

4.92/5  rDev +11.8%

Lunch pours a hazy golden orange with a creamy and billowing white head that lasts throughout the entirety of the beer. The aroma will hit you right away. It’s like squeezing a fresh grapefruit. You get more of that grapefruit in your first sip as well as other tropical fruits and an herbal hoppiness. Then you think, “OK IPA, time to overpower me with hops, so much so that I have to rinse my mouth when I’m done .” But it never happens. The grainy malts come in to help tame the bitterness, and the hops don’t even come close to taking over this beer. Instead, they provide an integrating piney/citrusy freshness. The toasted malts are amazing, adding great balance and a smooth finish.

Any brewery can make a hop bomb, but it takes true craft to make a balanced and simply fantastic IPA.

4.91/5  rDev +11.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Date: 5-13-14
Location: Foodtown Express Yonkers
Glassware: Tulip

Appearance: Yellow to light amber in color this beer pours with a gorgeous off white head. The beer is hazy but lets in a lot of light when held up. Light viscous ring.
Aroma: Mouthwatering fruit aromas from the hops start us off with scents of grapefruit, orange, mango. Lesser aromas of the malts which seem to help accentuate the hops and a light yeast aroma as well.
Taste: There is an absolute beauty to this fresh hop combo as sipping the beer quenches my thirst and makes my mouth water at the same time. The hops are bitter but balance a fine line avoiding being too much so. The malts absolutely help to balance the beer out giving the beer a subtle back bone. The yeast also plays it's hand adding buttery smooth aspect.
Mouthfeel: Medium to heavy in body with high carbonation. The hops give a beer a great bitterness. The hop acids dominate the palate leaving a nice spice sensation when the beer is finished.

Notes: Bottled 4-29-14 I also consumed this beer at Tap & Barrel on Long Island a week ago and again absolutely loved the beer.

4.91/5  rDev +11.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

My favorite Maine thus far, but I haven't had dinner yet.

4.9/5  rDev +11.4%

Bottle invites consumers to "just keep swimming." This is also a common ultrarunning mantra.

Translucent cowardly lion yellow color. Thick, shaving cream white head sticks all over like...well, shaving cream. I never thought I'd give a 5 to an IPA that didn't have crystal clear complexion but here it is.

Smells and tastes just like ruby red grapefruit and pineapple. Not hops that smell like grapefruit and pineapple but the actually fruits themselves all up in my face. Love it. Bubblegum and sweet malty backup round out the aroma.

Taste is the aforementioned grapefruit and pineapple with sweet honey malt. Perfect amount of bitterness that invites sip after sip and was gone before I knew it. If I ever see this on tap I'm in trouble. Ample hop resin but I'd like more.

Off the top of my head one of my top 10 all time IPAs.

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

4.9/5  rDev +11.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.9/5  rDev +11.4%

Glass: Odell's Rastal Tulip.

Appearance: Hazy golden orange, no particulates. An aggresive pour produced three fingers of head that lingered for at least 5 minutes. Tons of head! A rim of foam remained around the edges of the glass. Tons of thick lacing was retained with each sip. Perfect.

Smell: Hoppy and happy! Grapefruit forefront, lemon zest and citrus in the background. Slight mango and tropical fruit sweetness was also to be found in lesser amounts.

Taste: Strong bitterness upfront. Piney. This transitions relatively quickly to grapefruit and citrus. The aftertaste, which is perhaps my favorite part, lingers on and on with a beautiful tropical fruit sweetness.

Mouthfeel: Light-medium mouthfeel with medium-high carbonation. Oily yet dry hoppy finish.

Overall: The best IPA I've had to date. Flavorful, but subtle at the same time. The alcohol is masked perfectly and is nowhere to be found for me. It looks great in the glass, it smells great, and it tastes great. I am in love.

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Bottled on date of 4/15/2014
So glad I got to try this time sensitive beer pretty fresh. To start; this is absolutely wonderful and smooth to drink. Golden in color with a very serious head that was quite intense. Aroma is a bouquet of citrus and floral with some mild earthiness mixed in too. Tastes of wonderful grapefruit, some hops and citrus notes as well. Virtually no bitterness and extremely well balanced, complex, and very easy to drink. This "lunch" is somewhat medium bodied, creamy, has a little warming alcohol at the end, and finishes cleanly on the palate. Overall, this american ipa, truly is worthy of trying and is masterfully crafted!

4.89/5  rDev +11.1%

I wanted to revisit this beer. The first time I had it, I was just getting into IPAs, and it blew me away.
My first sip was solid grapefruit. I mean like James Cagney smashing a half grapefruit into your face. I think the beer was too cold, because as it warmed up I got more of the skunky/ganja/pine hops that I remembered from the first time. The finish was dry and short, and left you wanting another sip as soon as you finished the first one! This is an amazing "East Coast" IPA from a one barrel, eco-friendly brewery. It is a hidden gem, and you should seek it out wherever possible.
Bottle marked 8-10-12, one month old when I tried it.

4.89/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

4.88/5  rDev +10.9%

4.88/5  rDev +10.9%

4.87/5  rDev +10.7%

So far have loved everything from Maine beer. Lets pop this open. Golden/orangy pour with a sizable white head that settles down. First whiff, we have a winner! Is this another tropical IPA? I'm getting the grapefruit and piney hops in the nose, it is very aromatic, similar to Flower Power. Mild bitterness starts the tasting experience, nice bready malt in the background blends with tasty hops. Considering all of the strong flavors, this is light on the tongue and very drinkable with a quick dry finish. This is among the best IPA's that I have ever had. I'm not getting the real tropical flavor that the nose exudes, but it is damn near perfect. Maine Beer Company is 4:4 with me! Fantastic

Lunch from Maine Beer Company