Lunch - Maine Beer Company

Wants: 1,091
Maine Beer Company visit their website
Maine, United States

Beer added by: Jason on 05-10-2011

Our “East Coast” version of a West Coast-style IPA. Intense hop flavors and aromas of tropical and citrus fruits and pine dominate. A subtle malt sweetness brings the beer into balance.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lunch Alström Bros
Reviews: 646 | Hads: 4,408
2.77/5  rDev -36.2%

I poured it out into a proper glass.
A- Nice looking color and head.
S- Really great aroma, herbal,pine,resin and citrus.
T- Very disappointing taste considering how good the aroma. Did'nt get the aromas in the taste at all. Decent lawnmower brew at best. With this high rating,i was expecting a great IPA,but instead paid far too much for a very pedestrian ale.
M- Hardly anything at all,very thin. No remaining flavor on the palate.
O- Overall, mediocre and pedestrian.
I want my money back.

2.95/5  rDev -32%

I've had this beer many times, but this latest batch tastes like a light version of itself. Not at all what it usually tastes like. Very thin..... On draught at Sunset ..6/28

2.98/5  rDev -31.3%

My first rating. Huge fan of the website. Overall glad I tried the beer but 75 bucks for a twelves of 16.9 oz bottles?? The equivalent of 105 bucks for a case? Total bullshit. Even more annoying is their do what's right propaganda. At these prices that's really in poor taste. Overall I'd give the beer a 93.

3.16/5  rDev -27.2%

14 days after bottling

Appearance: a nice burnt orange color, very dull and earthy. A large 2+ finger off white head that fades slowly and leaves large frothy legs all over the sides of the glass. Hazy to the point that I can barely see my finger on the opposite side of the glass.

Smell: hops- resin, citrus, pine. Toasty and slightly sweet malt base.

Taste: opens with toasted grains. A fairly strong toasting at that. Very little sweet malt character to it. Backed is full of hops, some resin, quite a bit of earthy, small touches of citrus and pine a long with a subtle lemony finish

Mouthfeel: fairly thick for an ipa, pretty dry. A touch syrupy. Lots of lingering bitterness. No where near refreshing.

Overall: I feel I have give Maine beer a more than fair shot. This is the fourth and most highly rated hoppy beer I have tried from there and only 2 weeks old. And I can hardly stand to drink it. I usually love apas and ipas with a toasty malt base. But the earthiness and dryness just make it hard to drink and not the most appetizing.

3.38/5  rDev -22.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

If I didn't have principles, I'd pour this. How this beer has the hype it does is mind-boggling. No bright hop character, faint nose, boring malt bill, and just an uninteresting and mediocre IPA. It was pretty and the body of the beer was nice but that's where it ended.

3.44/5  rDev -20.7%

Love it when people smell lemongrass as one of their top 3 smells. Really? You can discern lemon from lemongrass in a beer but nothing else? Do you live in shrubbery?

Anyway, I'm not sure MBC understands the difference between smell and taste. But neither can the general populace, so they've found their niche I guess. As with all MBC beers, this smells excellent and tastes like crap. First time was on tap at the brewery. Not good. Second time I forced it down. Third time, drain pour. Not doing this again.

3.46/5  rDev -20.3%

Appearance: Amber with a moderate amount of carbonation.

Smell: It's an IPA, fresh fruity hops

Taste: Hoppy upfront. A brief malt respite fades into a bitter, grapefruit finish.

Mouthfeel: Not too thick with some carbonation.

Overall: Not bad, just nothing profound or overwhelming. They say this is an East Coast made IPA dedicated to West coast IPAs and I can see that. It leans more towards hops than malts and is definitely drinkable. Not my favorite, but this company donates 1% of its yield to environmental non-profits. Cool.

3.5/5  rDev -19.4%

Picked up at RSVP in Portland on sale for $5 and some change for a 16.9 oz bottle. Per the label this was bottled two days ago :)

A - I poured lightly but it produced an immense head, beer was light almost amber in color, cloudy and unfiltered, head was three finger and frothy. After a few minutes it was reduced to one fingered light and airy with great lacing. Lace lasted thoughout the whole experience with a steady layer of head making the beer look lively and not ever flat. In fact the beer appears lively until the last drop, probably the best looking bottle conditioned IPA I've had.

S - great hop smell citrusy mostly grapefruit, sweet, piney, slight malt in background. Very fragrant, overall amazing nose. Making my mouth water.

T - All I can say is water has replaced the malt character that this beer sorely needs, maybe it's just me but it's certainly missing a lot of body. The taste is good but is lacking in comparison to the smell and appearance aspects. I get a good hop bitterness but the aroma hops I smell really don't come through as I would expect, they are there but take on a more grassy flavor over the beautiful nuances I was expecting from the nose. The taste generally lacks complexity.

M - Watery and slightly over carbonated. Does a great job at hiding the alcohol. This beer is 7% and from the taste and mouthfeel I would say this beer is sessionable, if only it came in 6/12 packs... It is certainly enjoyable and refreshing.

Overall I was let down from the taste, mainly from my own expectations and what I have heard of this beer, I was generally excited picking this up and seeing it was bottled 2 days ago.

But for what it is worth, it is a really good local IPA, which I could really dig if I wanted something of low complexity to enjoy with some casual fair and light conversation, or sitting by the pool in the summer, maybe a cigar with a connecticut shade wrapper to add to (or even escape) the flavor experience. For the price and format though I cannot see myself buying this again as there are many more examples in the segment that have a more fulfilling taste and a better price point.

3.53/5  rDev -18.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

500 ml bottle dated 052123, so she's a month old. Happy birthday you silly little thing! Courtesy of Jeff...thank you for the opportunity!

Unfiltered medium orange into a tulip. Loads of head...like the underneath of the high school bleachers on a Saturday night.

Nose is faint, especially for a birthday girl. Touch of minerals, pine, and light citrus. Very soft and very clean.

What an odd beer. Starts with a moderate bitterness that actually builds along the tongue. Metallic and sulfurous with distinct lemon rind abrasiveness. Amarillo hops? Dish soapy maltiness and chalk help to sweep up the back end.

This beer reminds me ever so slightly of Ale Asylum's Ballistic. The metallic bitterness and lemon aspects for sure. Here the malt is more understated though there's just something a bit strange about the overall cohesion. Lots of distinctive players that don't quite equal a memorable band.

3.56/5  rDev -18%

Bottle courtesy of tai4ji2x, thanks. 500 ml bottle poured into an IPA glass. Reviewed from notes taken 7/14/11.

A - Looks a little thin with a huge 5 finger head that gushed over the glass. Retention is great and lacing is very thick and heavy on the sides.

S - Smell is not very impressive. Light grassy notes, but not strong enough to identify the hop variety.

T - Taste is pretty good compared the the smell. Moderate to high hop bitterness with some east coast hop styles. A little table sugar comes through toward the back. Finishes dry and bitter.

M - Mouthfeel is pretty thin and a little watery. Moderate to high carbonation.

O - A solid beer, but not a world class IPA. I probably won't seek it out in the future, but certainly wouldn't turn down another bottle.

3.56/5  rDev -18%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

500ml bottle into a snifter. Bottled date of 10/14/12 puts this at the freshest Maine Beer Co offering I have had at only about a month old. The brew appears a hazed golden copper color with nearly 4 fingers of mostly white, somewhat yellowish stained head. As the cap slowly fades, it leaves patchy to webby lacework on the glass. A swirl effortlessly revives a finger back on top.

The aroma of this brew is hoppy with fruity citrus elements that blend into strong herbs and grass. A bit of cheese and sulfur are also present mingling with the fruity elements. Grapefruit comes to mind here with a hint of pine and dank qualities.

The taste is predominantly citrus, pulp, zest and rinds of grapefruit and oranges. The hop flavoring comes first, with the bitter rind elements coming in after the fact. As the bitterness rests on the tongue, it gets to be quite herbal and shifts away from the citrus and fruit aspects. A bit of toasty grain is present along with a soft touch of neutral spirit-like alcohol. Across the back are some hints of minerals and more sulfur.

This is a medium bodied brew with ample carbonation. I had high expectations for this one based off of it's freshness and how I enjoyed their pale ale at 3 months old. Unfortunately, this was a bit of a let down and I think I give the nod to the pale ale over this ipa. While it is decent and without fault, I felt it came up a little short and was lackluster. I would pass on spending $8 for 500 ml again in the future.

3.58/5  rDev -17.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Pour is a golden amber with a fairly tight white head and a good bit of lacing on the glass. Nose has a hint of grain and some sweet malt with a fair bit of citrus hop and lots of resin. Taste follows the nose, sweeter malt and lots of resiny hop. Citrus is mild, moderate bitterness, strong hop flavor but not the kind I love and gets a touch sweet. It is heavily carbonated, moderately soft but a touch of syrup.

3.58/5  rDev -17.5%

Poured from 16 oz bottle into a Half Acre tulip.

A- pours a cloudy copper with a huge frothy white 3" head. Lacing re,aims all over the glass.

S- really mild aroma. Some citrus and light pine.

T- Semi-sweet malts and citrus. Bitterness is really subdued.

M- light body, medium carbonation. Incredibly drinkable.

O- pretty underwhelmed. Aromas and flavors rather muted but the drinkability is great.

3.62/5  rDev -16.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle pour sampled at mrbubbler's tasting.

Pours a murky orange-brown with an off-white head that settles to a film on top of the beer. Small dots of lace form around the glass on the drink down. Smell is of citrus fruit, citrus zest, and some tropical fruit aromas. Taste is of citrus zest up front with a malty finish. There is a mild level of bitterness on the palate with each sip. This beer has a lower level of carbonation with a slightly crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is a pretty good beer but I think it smells better than it tastes.

3.63/5  rDev -16.4%

Bottle date 021913 (19FEB2013)

A: Slightly hazy, light pumpkin-orange color with loads of carbonation shooting to a very fluffy white head. The head is extremely fluffy and large, and leaves loads of lacing.

S: I get a lot of citrus, with some grapefruit and a tangerine-like scent. There is some very faint pine resin scent in the background as well. Mostly this consists of citrus scent.

T: There is mild perceived bitterness in the flavor. It's probably a lot stronger than I taste, but there is very little hop flavor to drive the bitterness home. The flavor is very faint and mostly woody. There is a tad of pine flavor, but again it isn't that strong. Some mild caramel sweetness creeps out after the bitterness starts to fade in the mouth. There is a slight carbonic flavor that comes through as well.

M: The mouthfeel is very dry. It also feels a bit astringent but I wouldn't call it unpleasant...just there. Good carbonation, which helps it pop in the mouth.

O: Overall I thought the beer had good bitterness and a great appearance. I wish it had more actual hop flavor to marry with the bitterness. For an American IPA, I would expect to see more presence in the beer instead of just blatant bitterness. There was also a strange (what tastes to me) carbonic flavor that was off-putting. I'm on the fence about recommending the beer...it's good but I think it could be matched or beat by many of the other IPA varieties on the market. I probably won't by it again, given the available alternatives.

3.66/5  rDev -15.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

I heard the hype and I'm just not that impressed. I drink a lot of IPA's and imperial IPA's both American and English and this over rated ale doesn't do it for me. Mouth feel is too light, where are the malts in this ale. Hoppy, yes but, again doesn't follow all the hype it gets as I don't get any malt sweetness. Don't get me wrong it's very good but, with all the hype, there are a lot of other ales out there that are better.

3.67/5  rDev -15.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Finally managed to find a bottle of this in Bangor, 'bought time!

A - Little bit cloudy, pale orange pour, quite a bit of foam, might have had it too cold, recedes to just around the edges.

S - Lots of hops, even without having to put my nose right in there, very potent.

T - dry, bitter up front, thought it might be sweeter, maybe the type of hop, like an underripe grapefruit perhaps. Goes well balancing out the spiciness of these nachos, but it's really a dry, bitter IPA.

M - smooth, maybe undercarbonated almost, maybe due to the serving and all the initial foam, but kind of flat tasting.

Overall... I'd like to like this beer more, and it seems to get high ratings, but not from me. I'm not getting a whole lot of complexity here, just a lot of dry bitterness, which isn't my thing, but I'm still excited to try Zoe.

3.68/5  rDev -15.2%

Poured into a weizen glass.

Appearance: Cloudy yellow with an amber haze, nice frothy head which builds to 1” to 1 ½” and recedes to a ¼”. Very nice sticky lacing.

Smell: Big floral hops, as expected citrus and pine.

Taste: Pine and grapefruit in all their hoppy glory. This is pine resin wrapped in bitter, bitter, grapefruit citrus. Fits the description of an IPA to a tee, actually more like a DIPA.

Mouth feel: Smooth with the hoppy bitter finish cleaning the palate with some bitter burn.

Overall: Very solid example of the style, not a style I love, but this beer certainly meets expectations.

3.7/5  rDev -14.7%

Had this one at the Hop Head Throwdown about ten days ago, but my palate was basically destroyed by then. So I'll review off this bottle I just bought. Was not overwhelmed at the Throwdown, but that probably doesn't mean much.

Appearance- A dull, almost apple cider color. Amber. It has a huge, rocky white head. The lacing is excellent. I usually like lighter colored IPAs, but the head is fantastic. It sort of balances out for me.

Smell- Big hops, thank god. Fruity, tangerine, grapefruit. Some citrus rind. Some real pine as well. Big and sticky smelling, with the pine coming on strong. Possibly a hint of biscuit, but nothing strong.

Taste- It's killing me a little bit, waiting for the big head to dissipate somewhat so I don't get a snoot full of froth. It starts off big and sticky for sure. Tons of pine and orange rind. More malt than anticipated. Light bitterness. Something I can't quite pin, a sweet, almost nuttiness. A little booziness? Unexpected. The finish has an almost buttery quality. Not my favorite.

Mouthfeel- Certainly nice. A little light, but that's fine.

Overall- A little underwhelmed, honestly. I like the first burst of hops, but the rest leaves something to be desired. Not as dry as I prefer. Certainly tasty, but nothing too special in my mind. Oh well, it's a nice hop fix.

3.72/5  rDev -14.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Bottled on 6/4, I drank this on 6/28. About as fresh as I would expect to have one. These are bottle conditioned, so I assume I picked this up pretty much as soon as it arrived at my local beer shop. (along with a bottle of MaineBeer's Mo, also bottled on 6/4)

Obviously expectations were high given the craft beer hype machine. Plus, I've had their Peeper Ale which I really enjoyed.

Appearance: Poured a hazy orange with a three finger head into a 23 ounce Sierra Kellerweis Hefeweizen Glass. Poured pretty gently give the sediment from bottle conditioning, so a bit surprised at the carbonation level.

Aroma: I've heard Lunch competes with the best West Coast IPAs so I did have some expectations. With that much head on the pour, I fully expected a huge amount of hop aroma, but it wasn't there. Much more subtle aroma than most big IPAs out there these days. Pine, lemon, grapefruit. But again, not hop-bomb aroma.

Flavor: Again, not overwhelming hop flavor. More flavor than the aroma suggested, but not over-powering. The malt flavor is there to balance, but again, very subtle. I would guess there's some Pils in the malt bill, and that they avoided caramel malts, or at least minimized their percentage in the grist. Bitterness is there, but not harsh. Lingers crisply on the tongue.

Hard not to review this with beers like Bear Republic's Racer5, or Ballast Point's Sculpin in my mind. Those beers are much more hop forward. Lunch is more "smooth"... crisp... hard to explain. I am surprised to see so many reviews suggesting much more hop aroma than my bottle offered up.

Overall it's an enjoyable IPA. Much like Peeper Ale, the malt character avoids a heavy caramel component and the hops are intriguing. Simcoe appears to be a brewery favorite variety, along with perhaps amarillo. Do I think it's a top 10 IPA? Not in my mind, but that's personal preference. This is a well-made beer with enough originality to separate it from the abundance of American IPAs on the market.

3.72/5  rDev -14.3%

Clear gold with thin white head. Big grapefruit aroma, with something sweeter -- maybe a little peach and pineapple. Continues over to the taste, with a somewhat watery, low-malt middle and strong hop bitterness. It's got that same watered-down juice thing going that a lot of their beers have, but it's masked more by the bitterness. The mouthfeel has a nice "scraping bubbles" thing going.

3.73/5  rDev -14.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Pours a cloudy amber in color with a nice big white head and some excellent lacing. The smell is fantastic very floral with some sweet citrus notes. The flavor is good but dose not quite live up to the nose. The whole profile is rather bitter with some grapefruit bite and a tad of a bitter plastic taste I cant put my finger on. The mouthfeel is good for an average strength IPA and it is a very drinkable brew. Over all this is a good beer but I expected a bit more out of they "hype" Being a local IPA thats not to expensive I will surely give it another go in the future especially seeing as it got better as it warmed. Bottled 5/28 so its very fresh.

3.75/5  rDev -13.6%

Bottled 3/20/2012.

Dark, muddy pour with tons of frothy white head. Great retention & lace. Lots of fresh hops and caramely malts in the aroma. Sharp, piney hops dominate the taste. Malt backbone is there but not as prominent as I'd like. Creamy body sells the experience.

A solid IPA that adheres to the West Coast style, though I prefer the citrusy, malty East Coast brews.

3.75/5  rDev -13.6%

This used to be one of my favorites. However there are a lot of other new breweries making better beers than this. Taste is great much like dinner, but the aroma is lacking compared to other IPA's.

3.77/5  rDev -13.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Perhaps it was just an old bottle, but I felt like this didn't live up to the hype it has gotten. I would certainly be willing to try it again, but it just tasted very flat compared to what other brewers like Tree House are pumping out currently. I want to like it a lot more, but a rating above 4 would by a lie.

Lunch from Maine Beer Company