Lunch | Maine Beer Company

LunchLunch

Maine Beer Company
Maine, United States | website

Style: American IPA

Our “East Coast” version of a West Coast-style IPA. Intense hop flavors and aromas of tropical and citrus fruits and pine dominate. A subtle malt sweetness brings the beer into balance.

Added by Jason on 05-10-2011

Reviews: 689 | Ratings: 4,715
3.91/5  rDev -9.9%

Hazy amber color with a big white head the retains very well. Smell is of pine and grapefruit. Taste has a combo of tropical fruit and pine and some malty sweetness coming through about midway. Nice mouthfeel, about medium carbonation and body. This was a pretty tasty beer.

3.91/5  rDev -9.9%

Light copper with a few floaties. The nose is wonderfully hoppy – the flavor profile does not quite deliver the hop bitterness “promised” in the nose. The body is a touch lighter than most top-shelf IPAs . Very good but not quite up to the hype.

7/21/11 bottle dating

A- very big head (3fingers..) coming from the bottle into my snifter. Serious retention as this head just stays. Hazy amber with an orange tint. Head is now very foamy and white. Looks very nice.

S- Big grapefruit notes along with grass, pine and a decent malt backbone, grapefruit definately dominates the nose. nice but not overpowering

T- Nice citrus grapefruit, lemon zest and a little bit of sweetness from the malt. Very well balanced IPA that even my girlfriend likes :).

M- Lighter mouthfeel with medium carbonation which makes this guy very drinkable and refreshing.

O- Very nice IPA. West coast take on an East coast brewery. Wish there was more of this.

3.91/5  rDev -9.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

At the pour farm in New Bedford,Ma

Having the beer on tap, the beer is great but not as great as expected.

Smell comes off as a strong hop oil, if that's your thing you'll love it.

Taste same as the smell a strong back bone of hop oil, straight hop bomb.

Drinkability- the beer goes down great, very easy to drink.

May sound like I hate this beer, but it honestly is worth trying at least once. Compared to other great beers it's not even close.

3.91/5  rDev -9.9%

A- pours a murky burnt orange amber color. Two fingers of off white with amazing retention. Sticky lacing coats the glass as you sip.

S- nice foundation of dry biscuity malt aromas hit the nose at first. hop aromas blend in with floral, grassy and grapefruit peel notes. There isn't a huge nose on this beer but it is quite nice and well constructed.

T- starts off with pine and grapefruit peel hop flavors with some spicy, woody and floral notes. Great hop bitterness hits mid palate with a bit of a dusty yeasty character. Finishes dry with some cracker like malt and a lingering leafy hop flavor.

MF- prickly juicy mouthfeel with a light medium body. Great soft carbonation that creates a wonderful smoothness.

D- one of my favorite aspects of this beer is the superb drinkability.

Overall a very good IPA.

3.91/5  rDev -9.9%

16.9 oz brown glass pry-top bottle bought at Beverage Warehouse.

Pours with a good haze, brownish amber with thick off-white sudsy head that has great retention (had head until the last sip). Nose is a bit muted and not super exciting, but the palate is crisp with hop bitterness - not over the top, but refreshingly bitter - with massive flavors of piney "bud" hops, citrus (fresh) and herbal notes out the wazoo.

This is exactly what I wanted after a long shift slingin' booze in a non-A/C warehouse. Delicious and more refreshing (but just as good as) than Zoe.

3.93/5  rDev -9.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Finally got my hands on this one!!! Been a long time coming! Bottled on 5/7/13 (050713).

A: Poured into a tulip, a slightly hazy gold, with a rocky white head that hung around leaving nice lacing. Head dissipated after a few minutes, leaving a lone rocky island in the middle of the glass that remained until the end of the beer.

S: Wow, thats a nose folks. Up front, a blast of mango, pineapple, and a citrus fruit assault. Like Grapefruit and orange, tangerine, and their other citrusy compadres decided to declare war on my olfactory system. Very little pine or any other resiny characteristics.

T: Unfortunately, the aroma was the high point of this highly sought after brew. I really did not get much more than a crisp clean hop bitterness, pleasant hints of some tropical fruit and pine, and a slight honey sweetness from the malt backbone. I was really disappointed by this one, not going to lie. While it was indeed pleasant to drink, it was very dry, and much of the taste seemed to just be remnants of what I picked up from the aroma. Very dry and crisp finish. Constantly searching for more of a fruit presence, but it is just a mellow and crisp bitterness, with some slight fruit notes.

M: A bit fizzy, and on the lighter side, but nothing too out of the ordinary for the style.

O: Unfortunately, this one just did not live up to the hype. I was SOOO excited to try this one, and the second I took a sip, my immediate impulse was to check the bottled-on date to see if this was fresh....a definite red flag. Despite a bottling date of 5/7/13 (050713), a mere 19 days old, this beer tasted a bit lifeless. Pleasant no doubt, but not even close to comparable to some of the greats of the style. I went into this beer thinking it would be comparable to Pliny, a beer I am very familiar with, but this one fails to compete. While the nose was out of this world, that was the only stellar aspect of this brew. Reading some of the other reviews, I am really questioning my palate right now...Might come back and edit this one after I crack my other bottle. Maybe I am still coming down from my cold...

3.93/5  rDev -9.4%

- 12 oz. pour off tap at The Ginger Man (Greenwich, CT) into a tumbler glass on 10-Aug-15

It's got that diacetyl, buttery flavor going on which I don't prefer, but it's not overbearing. It's still light and refreshing. Enjoyed it, but I wonder how fresh the keg was based on other reviews. Looking forward to trying again.

3.94/5  rDev -9.2%

Enjoyed 2/1/14, bottled on 1/28/14.
Poured from a 17 oz bottle into a snifter.
Pours a nice lightly cloudy medium amber with minimal head.
Smelled nice, good hop aroma with some mild breadiness, overall nice aromas but not as strong as I'd like.
Taste was very much in line with aromas. A balanced and tasty IPA. While I very much enjoyed the taste profile, I was disappointed that it just wasn't as tasty as I was hoping for. Meaning, the taste was light and mild.
Mouthfeel was nice, very nice finish.
Overall, I enjoyed the beer but was expecting a bit more based on the reviews I had previously read. If the taste was stronger, I would have rated it much higher.

3.94/5  rDev -9.2%

Swung by the Nashua Garden today for some post bike ride libations. Saw Lunch on, so I sez "wtf, Gus?!".

It's a bright, slightly hazy golden hue, with slow, scattered carbo meandering about. Head is creamy and white, though short. Lacing is decent, too. Nose has some pithy citrus and a hint of sweetness. Not overly strong, though. Body is medium at best, and it is somewhat smooth.

Flavor is light on malt and sweetness, with bitterness prevailing. There's some grapefruit and lemon peel, with plenty of rindy, pithy hopping. The finish is rather dry, with the bitterness lingering a tad. It's really a bitter-bomb, though I've had many such creations which have given me more pleasure (Double Jack, DirtWolf, Big A).... Seems like a product of the tickerati hype machine (THM™). Quite glad that I snagged it during Happy hour for only $3.50/pint. Prosit!

3.94/5 rDev -10.5%

3.94/5  rDev -9.2%

A: Cloudy, sort of light orange. Very carbonated, large head, seems overcarbonated.
S: Mostly pine, some subtle orange, light grapefruit, nice.
T: Much more pine, more orange, very light, almost non-existent malt backbone, fairly dry, but there is a lingering sweetness that is nice. Mild to medium bitterness, very drinkable. Very good, slightly one dimensional though?
M: Very dry, fairly short finish, very carbonated.
O: This is a very good beer, well made, I like it and would recommend it. But I think it may be slightly overrated, would like some more malt, or less carbonation, or something a bit more lingering and/or interesting.

3.95/5  rDev -9%

Lots of delicious juicy orange citrus flavour, from Warrior, Centennial, Simcoe and Amarillo. Orange coloured body, with some retained head. Orange aroma. Similar to a DIPA without any palate erasure. Masterful IPA. . Very good hop aroma. Had again a half year later, also a month after brewing, from Capone's Superior, smooth mouthfeel IPA.

3.95/5  rDev -9%

S: Very bright citrus with some pine, crisp smelling.

L: Murky orangish-yellow, big, fluffy creamy white head with great retention and lacing.

T: A very dry, pine hop flavored malt. Medium high, resiny bitterness leading to some resiny hop flavor with lingering pine. Fairly clean, dry malt. Finishes dry, with a bitter resin taste.

M: Medium full body, medium carbonation.

Solid IPA, much dryer than i expected. Might be coming from some yeast that came off the bottom of the bottle (bottle conditioned)

3.95/5  rDev -9%

Bottle courtesy of Drazzamatazz, thanks for getting this one out to me!

bottled July 2011, but still happy to get to try this.

A: Early morning light yellows with dashes of rustic oranges and gold flake beams. Micro bubble white cupcake frosting foams keep a convex shape out of the glass further resembling baked dessert items. Two finger head that leaves a high water mark scrambled egg lacing around the walls of the glass.

S: Definitely comes off floral, but the hop has faded to a point that this ceases to fit the style. That said, the smells are nice, solid notes of honey covered wildflower bouquets. some in between notes of honeydew melon and pineapple. Smells like the volume has been turned down, but the balance is noticeable.

T: Really pollen heavy florals with plenty of raw white honeys. Definitely some different sorts of "orange" like fruits that show their face here. Kumquat rinds, sweet limes, and some clementine flavors to complete a trio of uncommon citrus. Every flavor is met with that lingering smooth sweetness that I quickly associate with honeys or agave nectars. The taste makes me think more agave nectar than honey, but the florals adds a dimension of "pollen" which seems to be a tertiary note I get from the remnants of formerly potent hops.

M: Medium body with a soft blanket of feels. definitely has fallen off a bit with time, but no glaring holes. The mild bitterness definitely leaves me with a powdery sort of feel that appears behind light dryness and lingering old hop bitterness. This is more or less just the beer showing a bit of age. Could also be from an explosion of formerly undisturbed yeast from this bottle conditioned brew.

O: Really nice honey floral beer that I'd love to revisit super fresh. The beer is not a punch in the face but it certainly has some gets some high marks from me in terms of refined flavor. The beer is balanced with an unusually forward presence of florals that are kept very drinkable by a malty honey sweet malt backbone. Some nice juicy flavors from fruits as well, but these are all dusty with age. Would love to revisit, but really it's already evidently a very good beer.

3.95/5  rDev -9%

An awesome extra from an awesome BA. Thanks! It may not be lunch time, but I poured this beautiful IPA into a Duvel tulip. Dated 081012. Larger than 2 finger off-white/yellow/straw colored head that sticks around for a while. As it falls it leaves minimal lace. Aroma is of simple sweet citra hops. Floral and lemony. Flavor is a bit more harsh and bitter. Still very floral with a little bit of pez sweetness. Body is great, full body and good carbonation.

Overall a quite nice beer. Nothing spectacular, but I feel it is a little different from anything else I have had, so I'm glad I got to try it. Would be nice to get a sip direct from the tap to see how that compares.

3.96/5  rDev -8.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Poured from bottle to Tree house snifter. 7/30/13 bottle date. Poured with a monster head. Like half the snifter. I don't pour very vigorously, so very surprising. Dissipated fairly quickly though, leaving good lacing. Very bitter earthy smell. Less citrus than I remember from previous batches. Taste is also very bitter. Not a to of citrus. Nice creamy mouthfeel. I feel that MBC beers, and lunch in particular, suffer from batch variation. I've had amazing bottles of lunch, and mediocre bottles. This one fell somewhere in between.

3.97/5  rDev -8.5%

Bought this from Capone's and saw the much-appreciated bottled by date right away.
It poured a light lemony-orange with a generous, two-finger head which held to no less than a coating until finished. There was proper lacing throughout, as well. Nose was floral and citrus with lemon up front. There was also some pine, grassiness and apricots. Taste was well-balanced with citrus, pine, but with the malt background evident and pleasant. Mouthfeel is creamy and dry but not overly bitter. Finish did not have much bitterness or hop bite either. This is a well-balanced offering I will absolutely try again.

3.97/5  rDev -8.5%

Poured from a bottle into a DFH signature glass.

A: A dark orange color that turns light brown as the bottom of the bottle is poured into the glass. Lots of yeast pouring at the bottom. Lacing is minimal and the head is a one finger white head.

S: Lots of citrus hops with some pine notes and a bready subtle sweetness.

T: Citrus hops jump out with grapefruit, pineapple and some lemon notes. Mid palate the bready biscuit malt sweetness pulls the beer together which then turns bitter and piney towards the end. Finish is bitter but does not last. Is this a bit thin on the finish?

M: Nice mouthfeel towards the front, but the finish left me wanting more. No alcohol is detected.

O: A nice IPA that I would love to try on tap. I hear rave things about it and I ended up thinking it is an average IPA. I'm puzzled by this.

I must try this one again, I just can't believe what I seemed to taste, or lacked in taste.

3.98/5  rDev -8.3%

500ml bottle poured into SN tulip pint glass. Thanks to SneezyAchew for a couple bottles of this.

A: Pours a dark amber orange with a billowing, dense, oily, light tan head that took forever to fade into very thick film that left a few streaks of lacing down the glass. Great head retention.
S: Huge notes of citrus hops with dominant scents of orange peel and a touch of grapefruit.
T: Follows the nose with big citrus flavors of caramel covered orange and tangerine with grapefruit juice and bitter grapefruit pith coming through in the finish. Bitterness is actually pretty bold for a straight IPA.
M: Fuller side of medium body with expertly hidden alcohol and a soft mouthfeel. Carbonation is fairly crisp and smooth.
O: Very good IPA, and although my review does not say it, there is just something I don’t absolutely love about it. It’s really good, but not my favorite. Thanks again Michael for sending me these!

3.98/5  rDev -8.3%

Dated 012412, so really freaking fresh.

Looks great, but appearance matters little to me. Orange/amber, hazy, thick fluffy white head with good retention. It is also very active and leaves thick lacing.

The nose consists of juicy hops at first. It is floral and citrusy, primarily, with a nip of pine. I don't notice much in the way of malt backing, and I feel some boozy warmth, even if I don't really smell it. But I notice, on successive pours, that the hoppy aromatics tend to dissipate and some boozy esters and just plain booze creep in and take over. Still, she smells well.

I am much less enamored with the taste, the most important characteristic. It's just doesn't have the malt character to support and balance the hops in to the extent that I prefer. I definitely don't see how this can be a 4.3 overall (at the time of this writing), aside from understanding the hype factor as it relates to BA scoring. Bitterness is moderate, from the first sip through the finish, which I like. And there is a good deal of hop flavor, to my buds mostly citrus and some pine. But I'd like some more malt character and at least a wee nip of sweetness, which I can almost but not quite detect. It's a good tasting brew, well made, but doesn't really fit into the sub-genre of IPA that really floats my boat. I guess an easier way of saying that is that it's too dry.

Well carbonated, thin-ish medium body, and overall very dry character, especially in the finish. I'd like more body. The bitterness is present but restrained.

I reckon this is what the brewers intended, and it is a very well made beer. And apparently lots of folks think it is even better than that. But to me it is just another good IPA, but not one that stands out above the others in any significant way. I am a fan of Maine Beer Co and will continue to support and try their stuff. But I like my IPA's with more malt character and body than Lunch has. I understand that many others like them dry, like this one is, and that's fine. Just not for me on a regular basis.

3.99/5  rDev -8.1%

Not impressed with the pour. Want more haze but colour saves it. Smells of light fruit, lemon. Taste is a dry citrus with really well matched hop bitterness. Well carbonated.

3.99/5  rDev -8.1%

Had this at Novare Res (or whatever it's called) in Portland. I had it for lunch, of course.

Pours a very nice looking beer. I mean, yowza...nice looking. Vibrant amber, somewhat thick, somewhat thin. Right in the middle.

Aroma is a bit weak. Pine and citrus, some light caramel and toasted bread. Easily overcome by surrounding smells from the beer garden I'm in.

Taste has more umpf. The malt backbone is subtle and provides the hops to come forth. They don't go too far, though. I'm sure if it's the malt amounts that pull back the hops, or the hop bill. It just doesn't pop. It's like an APA without the malt profile. But then again, the abv at 7% suggests that it has adequate amounts of malt for the IPA style. So, this is an unassuming, yet very very drinkable IPA

I'll have to have some more to find out what's going on. Keeping in mind that this was at a bar...perhaps it's a bit old?

3.99/5  rDev -8.1%

bottled 07.02.13. poured into a snifter.

A: lots of haze. sort of a deep orange hue. head is slightly off-white with good retention and lacing.

S: smells super tropical. a pungent hop aroma. hop resins, maybe a little bit of ganja. mango.

T: a shit-load of bitterness. a little bit of astringency in the finish. basically hop flavor is there, but bitterness is so strong that it masks a bit too much for me.

M: mellow, but has a presence. medium on the border of full-bodied.

D: interesting....seems that my opinions have sort of flip-flopped here. I am loving this nose, tons of hop character, super American, super tropical, very inviting. however, the bitterness on the body is distracting. a good beer, but I think a bit over-hyped.

bottled 11.18.12. poured into a snifter.

A: pretty hazy brew, but I it bounced around a bit on the ride home. very thick tightly bubbled head. retention is great. slightly off-white. tons of thick lacing. (4.25)

S: I could smell hops as soon as I popped the cap. lots of pine. the citrus is definitely a bit muted. a little oxidized. (3.75)

T: very piney. very floral, a little bit of rose water. grapefruit is there, but definitely more on the earthy pine side of the flavor wheel. a sizeable amount of grain sweetens things out a bit. slight oxidation follows onto the palate. (4)

M: mouthfeel is great. a vibrant carb on a medium/full body. (4.75)

D: even with the bottle conditioning, they aren't fucking around with the consume within 90 days from the stamped on date. there is a slight oxidation that takes it down a peg for me. bummer. however, ill keep my eyes peeled for a fresher bottle and try again for sure. (3.75)

Pours out a copper color with white head, small bubbles, 1" head approximately, good retention, decent lacing. Aroma was amarilloish and cascade, good and juicy, yet restrained and not super powerful.

Taste was very nice, clean, hoppy, juicy (again). Mild citrusy bread notes. As you drink it, it seems to evolve through a little bit of tropical and grapefruit. Subtle malt bill, stays out of the way, but keeps the beer from leaning into just simple copper penny bitterness mode. Its really just a lightly toasted thing that keeps the beer light on its feet. Alcohol is easily conquerable in this one, doesn't sting.

Its a good beer, but this is almost twice as much as Pliny? Oh well, its definitely better than average, but the price seems way higher than average too. Eh, if you feel like being a balla, hit it up. The only thing disappointing about this beer is the price.

17oz bottle from Deciccos Ardsley, NY

bottled 9.15.2011, 5 days old.

A - Pours hazy dark orange with sizable pearl white head. Looks amazing. I cant wait to dive in.

S - Uh oh. Not getting much here Hops, malt. Not what I was expecting by any means. Nice but not amazing.

T - Same as the smell. Nice hops, malt, which I like (malty IPAs) but still a bit let down here.

M - Decent, malty, nice smooth finish.

D - High

I feel like I'm missing something here. Lots of praise for this beer but I dont see the hype. Glad I didnt trade for this one, good but not worth the hype for sure.

Lunch from Maine Beer Company