Lunch - Maine Beer Company

Wants: 1,008
Maine Beer Company visit their website
Maine, United States

Beer added by: Jason on 05-10-2011

Our “East Coast” version of a West Coast-style IPA. Intense hop flavors and aromas of tropical and citrus fruits and pine dominate. A subtle malt sweetness brings the beer into balance.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lunch Alström Bros
Ratings: 4,070 | Reviews: 649
3.53/5  rDev -19.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

500 ml bottle dated 052123, so she's a month old. Happy birthday you silly little thing! Courtesy of Jeff...thank you for the opportunity!

Unfiltered medium orange into a tulip. Loads of head...like the underneath of the high school bleachers on a Saturday night.

Nose is faint, especially for a birthday girl. Touch of minerals, pine, and light citrus. Very soft and very clean.

What an odd beer. Starts with a moderate bitterness that actually builds along the tongue. Metallic and sulfurous with distinct lemon rind abrasiveness. Amarillo hops? Dish soapy maltiness and chalk help to sweep up the back end.

This beer reminds me ever so slightly of Ale Asylum's Ballistic. The metallic bitterness and lemon aspects for sure. Here the malt is more understated though there's just something a bit strange about the overall cohesion. Lots of distinctive players that don't quite equal a memorable band.

4.64/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Golden-amber in color with a slight haziness. Gorgeous, fluffy head that lasts for ages. Very nice lace formation. Exceedingly fresh-smelling, both pungent and floral. The scales are tipped toward more of an "old school" C-hop grapefruit and pine character, but there are noticeable undertones of "new school" tropical fruit notes. Checking the hop bill, Simcoe is in there, which explains the mango and passion fruit that I'm getting.

Comparing the flavor to the APAs I've had from Maine, Peeper and MO, the malt backbone is sturdier, lending the flash of malty sweetness one expects in an AIPA. A wave of hop bitterness quickly takes over, and the finish is dry and clean. Just very bright, floral, fruity overall. A little bit resiny and dank but bright and citrusy at the same time. All of these flavor components come together harmoniously. Bottle conditioned, as all Maine Beer Company's brews seem to be. They know what they're doing, too, as the carbonation is vigorous and yet exceedingly light and soft. Add in tons of hop oils and you've got a near-perfect texture.

Lurking the forums, I have seen a fair amount of love for Lunch, and it's absolutely well-deserved. This is an elite IPA - a must try for hopheads.

4.52/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Bottled on 04 June 2013, poured into an Allagash chalice.

Upon pouring I was rewarded with several fingers of head, which reduced to a finger in a few minutes and left lots of chunky lacing on the glass. The beer itself was hazy and amber in color. The nose was fantastic; a nice citrusy hop bouquet with floral sweetness that I couldn't get enough of. I was surprised to find that the taste was much less citrusy and sweet, and rather had a blunt bitterness about it that caught me happily off guard. The more I drank, I kept waiting for the bitterness to subside as my taste buds grew accustomed, but that never happened. I got lots of grapefruit and an earthy pine flavor. The mouthfeel had a light quality about it as the beer had a nice carbonation and left my mouth feeling dry after swallowing.

What a beer. Lots of balance and subtleties that made every taste delicious. I waited a while before I got my hands on Lunch, and it was worth the wait.

4.24/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

16.9oz bottle, dated 05.28.2013 (so, this bottle was consumed within the 90 day time window that it recommends on the label) poured into a FFF teku glass in the late afternoon of 6.20.2013. Thanks to Daniel for providing me with this beer!

This awesomely-named beer pours with a massive, massive 4cm white head that instantly fills up my teku glass, enough that I am only able to pour in half the beer. Nevertheless, the body is a dark burnt orange, like the Texas Longhorn colours, a bit hazy and delicious looking. The massive head takes a good 10 minutes to die down, during which I am sniffing it like crazy because it smells so good.. which I'll get to in a second. The lacing is all over the place from the head, and as I drink it down, it pretty much dries up and sticks to the glass. Great looking beer!

And of course it smells delicious.. Smells tons of citrus- grapefruit juice and lemon zest- along with sweet honey breadiness.. perhaps its tropical fruit sweetness, but I think the malt lends itself a bit to biscuits and toffee. Very, very pungent head that hit my first cranial nerve as soon as I put the bottle opener on the cap.

Now that the head has died down, my face is able to access the beer without making me look like Santa Claus. The nose gives me some ideas of what to expect, but this is a very, very hoppy IPA that hits me with a good bit of lemon zest, tangerines and grapefruit sweetness plus a piney-ish bitterness that is balanced out by a bit of honey breadiness. It's a well-balanced beer that gets a ton of flavour from both the hops and to a lesser extent, the malt backbone. I'm a fan of the hops used in this beer for sure.

While drinking the rest of the bottle, I observe that the flavours mesh together even better as it warms. The mouthfeel on this beer is solid, a bit thin-bodied and watery even for an IPA. It does have excellent carbonation, leaving my palate tingling with both the CO2 fizziness and piney bitterness that isn't too overwhelmingly bitter nor is it dry. It strikes that edge of the cliff where it is a very bitter beer but it doesn't make me pucker up or leave such a dry finish that it takes time to drink this beer- it's easy enough to drink during the lunch hour. No booziness to be detected even as it gets warm.

Overall this is a very tasty IPA that is very well-put together. People say it beats Pliny or whatever, but I'm sorry, while it is a delicious beer, Pliny is just so much more aromatic, hoppy and smooth-drinking while straddling that same line of pleasantly quaffable yet strong bitterness and dry pucker-up bitterness. Plus Pliny is a DIPA. Lunch is an excellent IPA and I see what the big deal about it is. Now, if you have to be paying $8 for a 16.9oz bottle, I'm not sure that represents great value, but for what the beer is and what it delivers, this is a winner in my book. If you haven't had it yet and you see it on the shelf or someone you know can get it for you, pick one up.

8.8/10

4.83/5  rDev +9.8%

Wow...

I visited Maine February 2013.... went to several beer pubs/brewerys and took the beer bus tour... fabulous I might add.... Maine was the forefront for me to become a fan of IPA's. The reason being.... I think.... besides they make kick ass beer... is the water they use... it's sooo smooth. They make alot of my favorite beers so I would urge anyone who hasn't tried a beer made in Maine to try one cause it's worth it... now....

Bottle read; Enjoy this beer fresh, hoppy beers do not age well. Which appears twivery. Pour carefully a fine layer of yeast is on the bottom please chill upright. Bottle conditioned (my favorite ).

Bottled on 5/21/13. Enjoyed on 6/18/13 not bad I'd say.... says to drink within 90 days of date.

Poured into a tulip glass....

Thick thick thick head... nice golden copper color with plenty of bubbles. Again.... very thick head.... stayed a ridiculasly long time. lacing was sticky and stayed a long time... pretty much until my last 3 sips . now's the time to smell it... wow.... to me, more hoppy piny taste but there goes the grapefruit and the citrus.... very clean smelling... smell again.... very nice piny lemony smell... a great looking beer and smelling beer...

Keep in mind I know how smooth Maine beers are so now I'm dying with anticipation...

Wow.... did someone just smack me on the tongue with a sack of hops.... but just like that first good iPa I drank in Maine in February 13 it slowly faded away so smoothly, like it was never there... but so crisp that you want more and more... anyhoo... big bold hops is forward and pretty much stays there throughout the taste experience but the other flavors start to pull out almost immediately after the initial hop shock.... grapefruit, citrus and lemon, to me very light but very malty... what I like. Finish is superb just like any Maine beer. Very crisp... a tad dry bit beautiful... leaves the pleasant hoppy aftertaste you are looking for. You want more and more. 7% alcohol is slightly hidden but all categories in this beer are perfectly balanced so it's there but it's not....

Quite frankly to date the best IPA I've had... now... I've had better beers... DIPA's, tripels.. etc... but far beats alot of the ones I have personally had.

I gave it a high ranking because of the ranking within the particular beer style.
Put it this way... if you see it on the shelf and are into IPA's than I'd say without a doubt get it. This is a beer I would highly recommend to IPA fans.

4.9/5  rDev +11.4%

Glass: Odell's Rastal Tulip.

Appearance: Hazy golden orange, no particulates. An aggresive pour produced three fingers of head that lingered for at least 5 minutes. Tons of head! A rim of foam remained around the edges of the glass. Tons of thick lacing was retained with each sip. Perfect.

Smell: Hoppy and happy! Grapefruit forefront, lemon zest and citrus in the background. Slight mango and tropical fruit sweetness was also to be found in lesser amounts.

Taste: Strong bitterness upfront. Piney. This transitions relatively quickly to grapefruit and citrus. The aftertaste, which is perhaps my favorite part, lingers on and on with a beautiful tropical fruit sweetness.

Mouthfeel: Light-medium mouthfeel with medium-high carbonation. Oily yet dry hoppy finish.

Overall: The best IPA I've had to date. Flavorful, but subtle at the same time. The alcohol is masked perfectly and is nowhere to be found for me. It looks great in the glass, it smells great, and it tastes great. I am in love.

4.62/5  rDev +5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Drink within 90 days of May 23, 2013. Served in Spiegelau IPA glass. Pours a hazy amber with a white, creamy two-finger head that settles into a nice frothy cap. Nice lacing and legs. Rich smell of grapefruit rind and pine. Citrus pith strikes the palate first and finishes with a heaping dose of pine. Sweet malt backbone balances the bitterness nicely. Medium body with lively carbonation. A superbly crafted IPA that gives the west coast IPAs a run for their money!

4.28/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

16.9 oz bottle, bottled 5/28/2013, poured into a snifter

A- A clear amber color with a 4 finger white head

S- Grapefruit rind, pine, floral notes.

T- Piney finish, grapefruit, floral hops, herbal notes, kind of has a tea like quality.

M- Smooth, crisp, light to medium body.

O- A nice IPA, definitely, worth the price, not really. I am very happy I tried this, but I don't see myself buying this again since I can get other IPA of the same quality for much less. Still haven't had a beer I haven't really enjoyed for Maine Beer Co.

4.12/5  rDev -6.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Found this guy as a very welcomed extra in a trade. Based on the stamp this guy is now 40 days old, which is certainly not my ideal but I think there's still a lot to be had here.

Even with a moderate-easy pour, a 2 finger off-white head just refuses to quit. Nice amber body, good carb. The nose is pretty faint. Not sure if it has dropped off with time or started out mellow. Not bad, but was expecting much more here. Taste is solid, but I have the feeling this started out much more than what it is now. Not getting any of the citrus or pine that others have described and what you'd expect of a west coast IPA. The bottle says drink within 90 days, personally I think the limit is much shorter than that. Still a solid drink, just doesn't have the shelf life it says it does. Would really like to try this again when it is much fresher.

4.21/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Pours bright like orange sunshine. Cloudy with an ample head that fell off amiably and slow. Good thick cap that never left, cascades of lace and great legs too. Nose is captivating and crisp with ripe fruits. Orange citrus, tangerine, tropical pineapple and a little lemon. With some light pine it smells juicy and dry at the same time. Floral. Malt is grainy and deeply sweet underneath and brings an icy quality that delights with a touch of sugar. Taste is positively vivid. Tropical fruits are ripe and juicy, a little tangy. The malt comes over the mid palate to delight with more bread than you were expecting. Hops are earthy and smooth. They announce themselves with a plucky bitter that takes you to a clean, dry finish. The aftertaste glows as much as the presentation. There's some alcohol warmth for comfort after all that excitement.

The body is creamy and has a texture unlike any other IPA. It's complex and full without heaviness. Not complex because it has too many things going on, but because each quality is deeply met and it has perfect balance. The fruits are succulent, the malt resounds. The hop perfume lasts and translates into the drink. The resin is light and the bitter is essential. Intense but not overdone. This IPA soars.

4.37/5  rDev -0.7%

Hyped up, looks nice, smells nice tastes excellent. Surrounded by Excellent beers here in the northeast it isn't the best beer I have had but it certainly is extremely good, better than most no doubt.The hype is legit and the price is right. Would drink several times over.

4.54/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Bottled 5/28/13, drank 6/15/13.

Delicious IPA. Forward citrusy grapefruit flavor. Light bite at the end so you know the hops are present. Poured a thick luscious white head on top of a golden clouded body. I thoroughly enjoyed this IPA but I'm still learning what an IPA is when done well. I will seek and drink this one again.

Bought 2 more bottles and enjoyed them as much or more.

4.54/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

2 weeks old purchased in Maine. Pours a deep golden color with creamy foam that lingers and sticks to the sides of the glass.
Smells of sweet grass, pine and a touch of alcohol
Taste is great, not overly carbonated, hint of creaminess with perfect hop amount that isn't overly bitter. Citrus with a mild malt backbone

Overall an outstanding brew from Maine Beer Co - less punch than a Heady, less creaminess than Can't Dog, Less malt/caramel than some of the other highly rated IPAs and more bitter and complex than Pliny.

4.43/5  rDev +0.7%

Got this as an add in from a trade .
Lunch pours a nice darkish golden color, with a nice large lacing head. Their is a very nice strong dry floral aroma from this beer. The taste has a nice floral bite from the hops, on a rich and almost hidden malty backbone. Nice full flavors, yet easy to drink, very smooth and nice carbonation. Overall a no frills IPA with lots of flavor.

3.73/5  rDev -15.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Pours a cloudy amber in color with a nice big white head and some excellent lacing. The smell is fantastic very floral with some sweet citrus notes. The flavor is good but dose not quite live up to the nose. The whole profile is rather bitter with some grapefruit bite and a tad of a bitter plastic taste I cant put my finger on. The mouthfeel is good for an average strength IPA and it is a very drinkable brew. Over all this is a good beer but I expected a bit more out of they "hype" Being a local IPA thats not to expensive I will surely give it another go in the future especially seeing as it got better as it warmed. Bottled 5/28 so its very fresh.

3.81/5  rDev -13.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Seems appropriate that I have Lunch for lunch. Bottled 5/21/13.

This beer a golden amber hue that is fully clouded. The head is high with a nice level of lacing left on the glass.

Lots of citrus on the nose.

There is also a lot of citrus on the flavor profile, but there also seems to be a bite of boozyness on there that seems high. Too high. It lingers in my mouth. As the beer warms the hops show more and that odd boozy thing less. Thankfully.

This is easy to drink. Though overall, I do feel like it's too boozy, and at only 7%. A pleasant drinker, but in all honesty I was expecting more out of this one. Especially since, at the time of this review, it's ranked as the 11th best ipa in the world. Considering that: I've had many IPAs I would say are better than this.

4.72/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Born on 5/28/13. Consumed on 6/11/13. Poured from a bottle into a tulip glass.

A: Golden body with orange hue and two fingers of fluffy, soap-bubbly foam. Excellent retention.

S: Wow. Pine. Moss. Citrus. Tropical fruits. Faint whiffs of booze. More pine. More tropical fruit.

T: Floral hop opening, malty body, bitter lingering finish. Notes of honey, mango, papaya, and pine needles.

M: The mouthfeel is beyond perfect. I would give this a 6/5 of I could. Simultaneously silky smooth, fluffy, slick, and briskly carbonated. Seriously, meringue levels of fluff. As silky smooth and fluffy as a Belgian Strong Pale Ale, but with a slick mouthfeel more common in heavier beers. Truly world class.

O: This is probably the single best IPA I have ever had. Another triumph for the Maine Beer Company. If you get the chance, definitely try this beer.

From the brewer: "Lunch is a special whale that has been spotted off the Maine coast since 1982. She has what looks like a bite taken out of her fin which adds to her unique character. We dedicate this beer to her determination and persistence."

4.36/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Bottled on 5/28/13, first time trying this bad boy and I'm glad it is extremely fresh.

Appearance: Pours a deep orange into my Newport Storm tulip. Two finger white head disappeared relatively quickly. Solid lacing on the glass, still slightly hazy, but a beautiful IPA.

Smell: First thing I sense is piney and floral notes, maybe some simcoe hops in there? Very appealing scent but not as much fruit as I'd expect from an IPA. Maybe a little citrus in there but nothing overpowering.

Taste: Can certainly taste the west coast hops right at the forefront with a dose of citrus fruit as well. Somewhat bitter, but in a way that I like in an IPA. Certainly a West Coast IPA brewed on the East Coast. I'd like to try a Sierra Torpedo right now to compare as I sense similarities. After several sips I noticed the aftertaste, which offers a hint of caramel sweetness. As previous reviewers have mentioned, the flavors actually grow and get better as the beer warms, unlike some IPAs.

Mouthfeel: Light and drinkable, but definitely not the most refreshing IPA you will have. The bitterness keeps you coming back for more and it is decently carbonated.

Overall: This is obviously a great IPA from Maine Beer Co that I just had to try. This is a wonderful West Coast IPA that if not for the high price I would drink a lot of. Need to get my hands on some Pliny to truly compare.

4.68/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Bottle dated 5/21/13. Poured into a duvel tulip.

appearance. Slightly hazy orange tinted golden yellow. Gorgeous 3 fingers of head which sticks around until the last drop. Very thick and frothy, like a cappuccino. Lacing is equally as great with layers of bubbles grouped on the side of the glass. Beautiful.

smell. Very west coast, as promised. Very floral right up front, with a good dose of grass and pine. Some tangerine is trying to make its way out, only adding subtlety to this gorgeous nose. Very resinous, making you want to just stick you nose in there and leave it.

taste. Starts out with a bit of medium bitterness, which turns to a burst of resinous pine. Some of the citrus that was trying to make its way out in the nose appears with a much greater presence. But this fades quickly. The pine comes back, this time with a bit of grass, making for a nice medley.

mouthfeel. BONE DRY the whole time. Really allows the hops to sing. Carbonation gives it even more lightness. To style west coast ipa.

overall. This one really impressed me, if you could not tell already. If you are a fan of a very nicely made west coast ipa in the vein of pliny (with a little less alcohol) then you are in for a treat. I admire the subtlety and restraint that this one shows in the face of many of the over-the-top ipas that are present in the beer world today. nicely done mbc.

4.27/5  rDev -3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Bottled on May 28, 2013. (2 weeks old) Poured into a fluted beer glass.

A wonderful brew the first one third of the bottle but the bitterness begins to wear on the palate. A good beer, but not at he top of the American IPA list. At 7% ABV this beer hides its alcohol very well.

A - Pours a golden amber (maybe a little orange), cloudy (I let it warm but it did not clear up entirely), a healthy pour resulted in about a 2-finger dense white head.

S - Some malty sweetness, but grapefruit and other citrus aromas dominate, also some piney resin.

T - Resiny hops, moderate bitterness.

MF - Light to medium body, moderate carbonation, smooth, a little creaminess with some minor lasting bitterness.

4.5/5  rDev +2.3%

Semi-cloudy faded orange color big billowing bright white head. Intensely hoppy nose, lots of citrus and orange, faintly floral, so bright smelling, almost getting a bit of tropical melon in there too. Underneath I get some soapy and alcohol esters.

Surprisingly light body. Super clean and crisp tasting. Bright citrus flavors right off the bat, lots of orange flavor, starts dry but finishes juicy making the mouth water a bit. Brisk carbonation. A little thin on the front end but the body builds near the back end. All hop flavor throughout with the exception of the lingering flavors. Some malt and alcohol linger along with the bright fruity hops. Faintly grainy underneath it all. Slow building bitterness but an otherwise incredibly smooth beer. Nicely balanced and incredibly drinkable. If it came in a 6 pack rather an incredible hard to track down single bottle that would be fantastic.

4.83/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

16.9 ounce bottle poured into a New Belgium snifter. Bottle dated 5-28-13.

A- Pours a cloudy orange. This one is conditioned in the bottle, so a little yeast is floating about. Two fingers of creamy white foam that retreats slowly and leaves nice lacing.

S- Very strong smell of citrus. A lot like pink grapefruit. I also smell fresh mandarin orange and a touch of grassy pine. Awesome is an understatement.

T- whoa--- it's a hop-bomb. Despite the sweet fruity aroma, this one is really bitter. That's a good thing in the IPA world of course, but it caught me off guard. It has just enough malty biscuit on the finish to keep the bitterness from chasing me away. Very nice.

T2 and M- As it warms in the glass, the bitterness becomes more complex and finishes a bit softer than before. The mouthfeel is viscous, a bit chewy. It is full-bodied on the tongue and cheeks, but no carbonation bite at all on the swallow. Oily resins present between sips.

O- The most amazing thing to me about this one is that it has the hop profile of a huge double IPA, yet it is only 7% ABV. Aside from the fact that it is 8 dollars for a 16.9 oz bottle, this IPA is a tremendous offering. Would definitely have again. Best aroma of any IPA I have reviewed. Almost worth the confiscatory price just for the chance to experience the aroma.

4.04/5  rDev -8.2%

An enormous thank you goes out to my shop's regulars, Mike, for the hookup on this brew! Totally caught me by surprise. Bottle dated 5/28/13, my birthday! Pouring into a Sierra Nevada IPA glass.

Slightly hazed, orange/yellow sunshine in color with a rocky white foam perched on top. Good retention. A variety of fruits entice the nose with peach, grapefruit, and mango all taking turns showcasing their aromas. Piney/spruce comes up after a minute. Flavor-wise the citrus (grapefruit) and pine play a more dominant role though I still pick up some subtle tropical notes in the background. Malt backbone is sufficient and even showcases a little toasty quality. Dry, dry, dry on the finish. There seems to be some excellent attenuation going on here. Bitterness is firm but not harsh and lingers on for some time into the finish. Medium body with moderate to moderate-high carbonation. Touch of warmth.

Nice mix of citrus, tropical, and piney hop character with a supportive malt backbone. Very well attenuated, the dry finish lends an excellent drinkability. Again, huge thank you to Mike for the hookup!!!

4.44/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

16.9 oz. bottle purchased in the greater Washington D.C. area, date 5/28/13 (~2 weeks old on consumption), poured into my FFF Teku tasting glass , drank on 6/9/13 over an hour.

A: 4.50 - golden-brown coloration, minimal clarity (cannot see through) 2/2 hop haze, florid white rocky head lingers through consumption into 1/2 finge lacing, moderate alcohol legs --> a very nice appearing American IPA

S: 4.25 - picking up both malt and hop flavors throughout: hop - grapefruit, tangerine, pine; malt - biscuit, caramel, honey

T: 4.50 - minimal bitterness on the front of the tongue; in the middle of the mouth, citrus-forward hop notes predominate; on the back end, there malt character kicks it with some honey and caramel notes; slight hop flavors coating the tongue in the aftertaste --> definitely the highlight of this beer

M: 4.50 - moderate bodied, 7% is hidden within; higher carbonation than other American IPAs that I've drank lately

O: 4.50 - surprisingly, I never drank this beer after living in CT for 12 years, but I'm glad that they've recently started distributing to the greater D.C. area; I have tried several of their APA/IPAs to date, and this is clearly the highlight; it's one of the most well-balanced American IPAs out there, and, for $7.99 for a >16 oz., the price is right if you can find it, recommended fresh!

4.21/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured a three finger head with a golden honey color in a pint glass.

Light but wonderful aroma: piney and woody.

Mouth feel: excellent, especially for this style. Not over the top, just enough carbonation
for a pleasant drinking experience.

Taste- pine, wood, fruit. As the beer warms, the flavors meld.

Finish: hoppy, a pleasant sharp bitterness.

It is important to note the hops brewed in the beer:
Warrior- for bittering and a noticeable spicy woody character in the taste and aroma.

Centennial: floral aroma and taste.

Simcoe: citrus and pine.

Amarillo: Fruity melon.

Overall, an excellent American IPA. One of my favorites.

Lunch from Maine Beer Company