Lunch | Maine Beer Company

LunchLunch

Maine Beer Company
Maine, United States | website

Style: American IPA

Our “East Coast” version of a West Coast-style IPA. Intense hop flavors and aromas of tropical and citrus fruits and pine dominate. A subtle malt sweetness brings the beer into balance.

Added by Jason on 05-10-2011

Reviews: 688 | Ratings: 4,711
3.98/5  rDev -8.3%

Dated 012412, so really freaking fresh.

Looks great, but appearance matters little to me. Orange/amber, hazy, thick fluffy white head with good retention. It is also very active and leaves thick lacing.

The nose consists of juicy hops at first. It is floral and citrusy, primarily, with a nip of pine. I don't notice much in the way of malt backing, and I feel some boozy warmth, even if I don't really smell it. But I notice, on successive pours, that the hoppy aromatics tend to dissipate and some boozy esters and just plain booze creep in and take over. Still, she smells well.

I am much less enamored with the taste, the most important characteristic. It's just doesn't have the malt character to support and balance the hops in to the extent that I prefer. I definitely don't see how this can be a 4.3 overall (at the time of this writing), aside from understanding the hype factor as it relates to BA scoring. Bitterness is moderate, from the first sip through the finish, which I like. And there is a good deal of hop flavor, to my buds mostly citrus and some pine. But I'd like some more malt character and at least a wee nip of sweetness, which I can almost but not quite detect. It's a good tasting brew, well made, but doesn't really fit into the sub-genre of IPA that really floats my boat. I guess an easier way of saying that is that it's too dry.

Well carbonated, thin-ish medium body, and overall very dry character, especially in the finish. I'd like more body. The bitterness is present but restrained.

I reckon this is what the brewers intended, and it is a very well made beer. And apparently lots of folks think it is even better than that. But to me it is just another good IPA, but not one that stands out above the others in any significant way. I am a fan of Maine Beer Co and will continue to support and try their stuff. But I like my IPA's with more malt character and body than Lunch has. I understand that many others like them dry, like this one is, and that's fine. Just not for me on a regular basis.

4.25/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Bottle dated 1/14/14 in glass.

Pleasant golden color with lacing. Bright pine and floral citrus scents. Mildly bready backbone with heavy citrus flavors and pine. The finish is long and dry with bitter grapefruit. Nicely balanced with excellent mouthfeel. Finely crafted IPA and very easy to drink. I would never turn one down but the bitter finish keeps this out of circle of my favorite IPAs.

4.83/5  rDev +11.3%

Wow...

I visited Maine February 2013.... went to several beer pubs/brewerys and took the beer bus tour... fabulous I might add.... Maine was the forefront for me to become a fan of IPA's. The reason being.... I think.... besides they make kick ass beer... is the water they use... it's sooo smooth. They make alot of my favorite beers so I would urge anyone who hasn't tried a beer made in Maine to try one cause it's worth it... now....

Bottle read; Enjoy this beer fresh, hoppy beers do not age well. Which appears twivery. Pour carefully a fine layer of yeast is on the bottom please chill upright. Bottle conditioned (my favorite ).

Bottled on 5/21/13. Enjoyed on 6/18/13 not bad I'd say.... says to drink within 90 days of date.

Poured into a tulip glass....

Thick thick thick head... nice golden copper color with plenty of bubbles. Again.... very thick head.... stayed a ridiculasly long time. lacing was sticky and stayed a long time... pretty much until my last 3 sips . now's the time to smell it... wow.... to me, more hoppy piny taste but there goes the grapefruit and the citrus.... very clean smelling... smell again.... very nice piny lemony smell... a great looking beer and smelling beer...

Keep in mind I know how smooth Maine beers are so now I'm dying with anticipation...

Wow.... did someone just smack me on the tongue with a sack of hops.... but just like that first good iPa I drank in Maine in February 13 it slowly faded away so smoothly, like it was never there... but so crisp that you want more and more... anyhoo... big bold hops is forward and pretty much stays there throughout the taste experience but the other flavors start to pull out almost immediately after the initial hop shock.... grapefruit, citrus and lemon, to me very light but very malty... what I like. Finish is superb just like any Maine beer. Very crisp... a tad dry bit beautiful... leaves the pleasant hoppy aftertaste you are looking for. You want more and more. 7% alcohol is slightly hidden but all categories in this beer are perfectly balanced so it's there but it's not....

Quite frankly to date the best IPA I've had... now... I've had better beers... DIPA's, tripels.. etc... but far beats alot of the ones I have personally had.

I gave it a high ranking because of the ranking within the particular beer style.
Put it this way... if you see it on the shelf and are into IPA's than I'd say without a doubt get it. This is a beer I would highly recommend to IPA fans.

4.3/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks, drazzamatazz. 500ml into newport storm snifter. Bottled 4 days ago- hope it's fresh.

A- Hazy glowing orange, big vanilla frosting head, 3 fingers and thick lacing all the way down the glass. Completely covered.

S- Very intense pine resin. Cut grass, some nice citrus fruits. Lemony.

T- Fresh-cut grass, lots of pine sap bitterness. Fruity citrus comes out after I adjust my tongue to the bitterness. Little bit of alcohol present as well.

M- I love this bottle-conditioned IPA. Great lingering bitterness and rich, full mouthfeel.

O- Very impressive, Maine Beer Co. is 3/3 with great beers in my book. Can't wait to see them take a stab at a double IPA.

3.91/5  rDev -9.9%

16.9 oz brown glass pry-top bottle bought at Beverage Warehouse.

Pours with a good haze, brownish amber with thick off-white sudsy head that has great retention (had head until the last sip). Nose is a bit muted and not super exciting, but the palate is crisp with hop bitterness - not over the top, but refreshingly bitter - with massive flavors of piney "bud" hops, citrus (fresh) and herbal notes out the wazoo.

This is exactly what I wanted after a long shift slingin' booze in a non-A/C warehouse. Delicious and more refreshing (but just as good as) than Zoe.

4.56/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Bottle date of 3/26/13 which means that this beer is a hint over 1 month old. Poured this into a pint glass.

A: Pours a golden yellowish orange color. There is an enormous, sudsy head which leaves a generous amount of lacing for the glass to collect.

S: I smell some serious citrus and a little bit of pine going on here. The citrus consists of mainly orange and grapefruit. I could smell this when I poured it. Awesome!

T: This is such a tasty brew. Orange and grapefruit with some piney undertones. I can taste some malts as well. This is such a balanced tasting brew. This is not as bitter to me as others may suggest. It may be due to this being the 2nd IPA I've had tonight.

M: A medium mouthfeel with a moderate amount of carbonation. No alcohol being tasted at all.

Overall: This is one of the best IPAs you'll ever have. By no means is this something that will blow your face off. This is a nice warm weather brew that you just enjoy. I've had this in the bottle and in a pint glass and it was delicious either way. I'll pay the 7 bucks for this almost every time.

4.28/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

Bottled: 10/8
Drank: 10/17

I finally was able to get my hands on the first IPA that I read rave reviews about back when I joined the Beeradvocate community.

I love that MBC's bottles look like cover pages for academic research papers and/or official reports.

a- Murky/hazy golden orange with more than a helping of a thick, creamy, off-white head. (As a relatively new BA, this is the creamiest head that I've seen on an IPA)

s- Flowers, flowers, flowers, and mango.

t- Matches the smell--- floral and tropical fruit notes. The bitterness comes through as grapefruit.

m- A bit highly carbonated, but nothing worth noting.

o- Excellent brew. Hopefully, I can revisit this one sooner than it took me to get my hands on it for the first time.

4.34/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

A big thanks to angrybabboon for managing to get me two bottles of this! Both were dated "12/3/13." Consumed about two weeks later. Poured out of a 500ml bottle into a tulip glass.

Pours a gorgeous West Coast-style IPA, indeed - sunset orange, with a frothy white head that rises upwards in the glass and leaves behind a ton of sticky foam and legs in its wake. Good legs, and a tremendously oily appearance throughout. Gets progressively cloudy the more that I pour it into the glass, but it still maintains a charming, rustic East Coast appearance throughout.

Smells vibrant and juicy, as I expected it to. Large notes of fresh grapefruit, tangerines, orange, cantaloupe, peach, and apricots, with a residual note of dank pine, sage, and white pepper. Very sweet and zesty at the front, with a finish that resembles caramel and toffee, as well as a bready grainy sensation that reminds me that I am indeed drinking a glass of beer and not a fresh squeezed glass of fruit juice. Really enticing, and very breezy stuff even here!

Wow! While the aroma definitely reminded me that this is a beer, the flavor may very well have fooled me otherwise. This tastes EXACTLY like a glass of freshly squeezed grapefruit juice, with lovely tropical notes (pineapple, guava) and stone fruit (mainly peaches) and citrus colliding into each other and producing a harmonious fruit cocktail. Creamy and bitter at the finish, but with a soft, comforting bready backbone that provides caramel and toffee and a yeasty thickness and spiciness that makes this a comfortable and complex drink. Floral, with notes of lavender, and the pine cleanses the palate at the finish. Super chewy, with excellent carbonation and feel that keeps together. This was amazingly quaffable - I can really see where the hype lies towards this. A true treat!

This was amazing - I couldn't stop reminiscing about this beer for weeks after consumption, and invited a friend to try the second bottle I had (4 weeks old, at that point). I was shocked with the results. The beer had completely changed into a one dimensional zesty flavor (mainly of lemons and faded grapefruit), and had become grainy and earthy with none of the juiciness I loved the first bottle for. This falls off rapidly, it seems, and I'd warn anyone of getting one of these to make sure that you know what you're getting is as fresh as possible. For that matter, it's a tricky beer for me to want to revisit. I would love to try this fresh on tap, one of these days...

4.06/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

500ml bottle into a wine glass. Bottled 5/18/11, drank 6/3/11.

Appearance: Free pour yields a one inch fluffy white head that dissipates slowly (imperceptibly) leaving a solid wall of lacing. Pours a hazy orange and leaves small, scattered swatches of lacing.

Smell: At first, grapefruit, orange, some pineapple; west coast hops. Some lingering sugary sweetness. Smooths out to a mild tangerine-like sweetness. Continues developing, but not necessarily for the better; gets a little dish soapy and halloween make-up-like, then kind of earthy. Remains good, but not great.

Taste: Nice bitterness up front, immediately apparent toast-like malt backbone, with a caramel malt sweetness through to the finish. Tropical fruit hops highlighting the entire flavor. Flavor stays consistent throughout, toast and cookies, tropical fruit.

The flavor could almost be called "pedestrian" if the balance weren't so exceptional. It seems like it's about to hit you with bitterness, then resolves as this really great softness. Everything about the flavor is soft, and in harmony. If you like something simple done very, very well, this is the IPA for you. This tastes like a recipe that's been made, tweaked, and remade over and over again until it's exactly to someone's tastes.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, moderate carbonation, finishes a bit dry. Creamy and airy. Overarching impression this beer gives is "soft".

Overall: The flavor and mouthfeel of this beer combine to make an extremely refreshing IPA. I could easily drink a lot of these, especially on a hot day. Maine Beer Company continues to impress.

4.22/5  rDev -2.8%

Poured into a pint glass. This one pours a slightly hazy golden straw color with about an inch and a half of fluffy white head. Really nice retention on this with good lookin' soapy lace.

I could smell this as I was pouring it. Lots of orange citrus and some lemon. Really fruity in the aroma with a bit of a grassy hop finish. A bit of a zinger on this one. Lemon on the pallet with grapefruit and orange citrus. Grassy hops rounding this one out with being a little bitter. The aroma seems to get lost in transilation to the pallet a little bit here, but it's still pretty on point.

The feel seems a bit light and the carbonation is a little bit low. I feel like this one just needs to get a little more lively and a little more body to it and it will really shake things up. Overall, I love Maine Beer Company. This one isn't a homerun for them but it's still a hell of a lot better than a lot of beers on the market. A few flaws in my opinion but this is still one I'll picking up.

4.16/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Bottle, dated 060413 around 2 months old, poured into a tulip glass. Beer pours a hazy copper with three plus fingers of fluffy off white head. Head retention is good, sticking around for several minutes before slowly dissipating with some thick swathes of lacing. Small bubble carbonation streaming up from the bottom of the glass.

Nose citrus hops, sweet orange and grapefruit, peach, light pine, and a decent caramel malt presence.

Taking a sip, good hit of bitterness, citrus peel and pine, mellowing to sweeter hot flavors, orange, grapefruit, peach. Not as much caramel malt on the taste as I was expecting given aroma, which is nice. Medium to dry finish, with some linger pine and lighter caramel malt sweetness.

Lighter side of medium body with smooth but ample carbonation. Easy drinking IPA with pretty good balanced flavor profile. The aroma might have been a little better with less age, but still a nice beer.

4.58/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On tap at Walrus + Carpenter in early 2015 and then out of the bottle multiple times after that. Pours a gorgeous slightly hazy gold with a thick head. Super hoppy aroma is totally inviting. Wonderful melange of hops on the tongue. Citrus, juice, pine, herbs, lavender, touch of lemon. Biscuity and sweet malts never overwhelm but the body might be a hair too much. Easy to drink.

4.5/5  rDev +3.7%

Semi-cloudy faded orange color big billowing bright white head. Intensely hoppy nose, lots of citrus and orange, faintly floral, so bright smelling, almost getting a bit of tropical melon in there too. Underneath I get some soapy and alcohol esters.

Surprisingly light body. Super clean and crisp tasting. Bright citrus flavors right off the bat, lots of orange flavor, starts dry but finishes juicy making the mouth water a bit. Brisk carbonation. A little thin on the front end but the body builds near the back end. All hop flavor throughout with the exception of the lingering flavors. Some malt and alcohol linger along with the bright fruity hops. Faintly grainy underneath it all. Slow building bitterness but an otherwise incredibly smooth beer. Nicely balanced and incredibly drinkable. If it came in a 6 pack rather an incredible hard to track down single bottle that would be fantastic.

4.61/5  rDev +6.2%

a pretty standard, yet glowing amber/copper with a nicely sized off-white head that recedes rather quickly but leaves beautiful lacing on the glass.

damn. pine, pine, pine, and grapefruit. lots of fresh hop aromas in this one, and I can smell it from a mile away.

pine and grapefruit juice, sweetened, with some fresh cut grass, fresh squeezed orange juice, and almost a candy-like sweetness. not terribly bitter, but tons, and tons of hop flavor.

medium bodied with excellent soft carbonation. this is one of the juiciest and most refreshing finishes on a beer I have ever had.

terrific. Was the perfect beer after a day of hiking. well done, again, Maine Beer Co.

4.87/5  rDev +12.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Maine Beer Company - Lunch

This was the one I wanted in the first place but I stumbled across almost all their other ones in the process. Save the best for last! Dated 5/21, consumed 5/30, can't get much better than that!

Look - Poured into a Craftgeer snifter, it is a hazy caramel orange with a nice soapy head that dissipates quickly and leaves rings of sticky lacing. Beautiful!

Smell - Nose is grapefruit, lemon, and orange citrus hop bomb with some bite, the semi-sweet malt takes a backseat but is present in all the right ways. Hearty and hoppy.

Taste - Nice snappy juicy citrus hop kick in the face followed by a graceful introduction to some piney bitter. Malt is bready and blends well.

Mouthfeel - Feel is dry bitter pine hops. This has great drinkability, carbonation is towards heavy and in conjunction with the malts you get a medium body. Booziness is low and welcoming.

Overall - This is an amazing and unique beer that is like a fusion of East and West (Think Pliny and Double Sunshine, but give it credit for being its own brew). 100% absolutely recommend this brew and Maine Beer Company in general.

Enjoyed on draft. Was expecting wayyy more. Was really just above average, have had plenty of plus plus ipa's over the last couple of months, and Lunch was just not one of them.

4.24/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

54 day old bottle, poured into my Founders snifter.

Bright/hazy light peach/orange color. Poured lightly so not much of a head, but initially there is a about finger of crispy white fluff. Not much lacing at all. Color is just awesome though, and I don't necessarily believe it's a letdown without a huge head.

Hop citrus aromas seem a bit subdued. Nonetheless, there's grapefruit/orange and light lemon zest, with a bit of pine in there as well. As the beers warms up a bit, a slight floral situation reveals itself.

Citrus zest is most noticeable in the flavor. Less malty than other IPAs I am used to. But really this beer is all about the hop-forward citrus -- grapfruit, orange, some lemon, and maybe a bit of pine in there as well. Flowery session character to it as well.

Feels smooth up front, and crisp on the end. Dry but refreshing overall. But probably a bit too carbonated for me to session.

This is a solid IPA. Not my favorite, but very nice. Flavors and aromas open up as it warms. The one thing it lacks that I think is present in most IPAs and APAs I enjoy is sweetness. Would love to grab this fresher. Cheers.

4.34/5  rDev 0%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Appearance - The beer poured a golden copper color into the IPA glass with bubbly white head that left lacing on the sides of the glass as it dissolved.

Smell - In the aroma, notes of citrus and pine were detectable. The citrus notes are bright and juicy.

Taste- The initial impression of the taste was like taking a bite out of an orange. The sweetness is coupled with notes of orange rind. This yields to pine and something akin to juniper berries. A light malty backbone props the hoppiness to the forefront. The ale becomes progressively more bitter before ending in a resiny finish. The bitterness really sticks to the roof of the mouth and back of the tongue.

Mouthfeel - The carbonation is very modest which allows the intensity of the hops to do a number of the tastebuds. Overall, this is an easy drinker.

Overall - I have waited quite some time to finally have this one. I was not disappointed. This is a well constructed American IPA.

4.18/5  rDev -3.7%

17oz, packaged 7/21/11.

Pours a glowing orange with red and gold highlights. Great fluffy head, excellent lacing.

Aroma is hoppy and spicy, with some tropical notes and hints of apricot.

Flavor is pretty bitter on the front, but not so much on the back end, which is clean and smooth. Still pretty damn hoppy, resinous and oily at two months out. Fruity and juicy hop flavor is there, though somewhat muffled. Malt structure adds sweetness, hints of caramel. The mouthfeel is creamy and soft, with ample carbonation, damn near perfect on the tongue.

Really well-balanced and a joy to drink. Will definitely buy some of the next batch if I got the cash.

4.15/5  rDev -4.4%

A: Hazy orange/brown with a gigantic billowing head with amazing--almost ridiculous--retention; lacing is nice

S: Mostly just loads upon loads of hops: citrus--grapefruit and orange--and pine; there seems to be some bready sweet malts hiding underneath but mostly this is a citrus fruit bomb

T: Hop bitterness up front but not as much of a citrus fruit explosion as the fruity bitterness fades rather quickly--in the end enough of the residual hops--grapefruit mostly--do stick to the sides of the mouth but it just doesn't quite finish like I wish it would but it is still quite amazing

F: Pretty decent medium body with nice residual oils sticking to the mouth but it finishes just a touch thin

O: A solid, delicious IPA that just finishes a touch thin but this is still one fine beer; and wow, does it have an amazing aroma; I could breathe this all day or perhaps wear it as my new cologne

4.63/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

I've been hunting down lunch for a while and I finally got my hands on some only bottled 11 days ago.

Wow.

This is what dank means.

Smell of citrusy grapefruit and some tropical fruit

Taste is a citrusy and piney upfront with a great smooth finish and another blast of grapefruit.

I was not disappointed at all.

Could be the east coast answer to my favorite west coast Pliny.

3.46/5  rDev -20.3%

Appearance: Amber with a moderate amount of carbonation.

Smell: It's an IPA, fresh fruity hops

Taste: Hoppy upfront. A brief malt respite fades into a bitter, grapefruit finish.

Mouthfeel: Not too thick with some carbonation.

Overall: Not bad, just nothing profound or overwhelming. They say this is an East Coast made IPA dedicated to West coast IPAs and I can see that. It leans more towards hops than malts and is definitely drinkable. Not my favorite, but this company donates 1% of its yield to environmental non-profits. Cool.

4.28/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

High quality IPA. Not too hoppy, but nice dry hops and very smooth and creamy feel. Doesn't seem like 7 abv at all. Lemony, straw, grassy. Maybe slight hint of lime. Lived up to my hopes and expectations. Excellent.

4.07/5  rDev -6.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Pours a hazy golden yellow with a chalk white head. Great lacing.

Smell is tropical fruit. Mango, pineapple, peaches. Supported by a nice crackery malt backbone. Pine resin begins to creep up from the depths.

Taste begins with tropical fruit, moving into pine resin and a pith bitterness that lingers. Mango and pineapple prevail. The malt provides a nice backbone for the hops to play off of. Great balance with a slight lean towards bitter, tropical hops.

Mouthfeel is light and slightly creamy. A mango pith bitterness is slightly present, providing a drying of the palate.

Overall a great beer. Light on the nose, but great on the taste. Personal taste would prefer a juicier IPA without the dryness.

4.42/5  rDev +1.8%

16.9oz bottle served in a snifter.
bottled 10/25/11

pours a dull coppery shade with some haze to it; fairly aggressive pour yields a healthy 1 and 1/2" head, frothy with strong retention and lots of lacing. aromatic nose definitely packs a punch with strong notes of citric (notably grapefruit, a touch of lemon) and pine hops... some malt character evident in the background.

taste follows the aroma closely. citrus, pine, and a hint of a floral component... average bitterness... medium-bodied mouthfeel with medium carbonation.

overall an excellent IPA, flavorful and very drinkable. for all its hype i'd put it behind a few beers that are far more readily available (ithaca flower power comes to mind) but i'd still put this up there in the A-/A range.

(originally reviewed: 11-23-2011)