Lunch - Maine Beer Company

LunchLunch

Maine Beer Company visit their website
Maine, United States

Beer added by: Jason on 05-10-2011

Our “East Coast” version of a West Coast-style IPA. Intense hop flavors and aromas of tropical and citrus fruits and pine dominate. A subtle malt sweetness brings the beer into balance.
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lunch Alström Bros
4.45/5  rDev +1.1%

3.95/5  rDev -10.2%

An awesome extra from an awesome BA. Thanks! It may not be lunch time, but I poured this beautiful IPA into a Duvel tulip. Dated 081012. Larger than 2 finger off-white/yellow/straw colored head that sticks around for a while. As it falls it leaves minimal lace. Aroma is of simple sweet citra hops. Floral and lemony. Flavor is a bit more harsh and bitter. Still very floral with a little bit of pez sweetness. Body is great, full body and good carbonation.

Overall a quite nice beer. Nothing spectacular, but I feel it is a little different from anything else I have had, so I'm glad I got to try it. Would be nice to get a sip direct from the tap to see how that compares.

3.5/5  rDev -20.5%

4.6/5  rDev +4.5%

4.62/5  rDev +5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Unlike some other reviewers, I was unable to try this beer at Sebago's "End of an Era" party...but the time I went to try it, the keg was empty. Luckily, bottles were released the next day. My bottle has been in the fridge all afternoon. It was filled two days ago, on 5.18.11. I'm pouring it into my Maine Beer Company glass.

A very large off white foam head fills my glass, but it is quickly settling into liquid from the bottom up; the top of the head is remaining at the top of the glass. The liquid is a hazy translucent orange. A few streams of carbonation can be seen rising within. As the head is settling, good lacing is left behind. Swirling leaves a lot of film.

Lunch has an exceptional fresh hop aroma. It's bitter and has some warm alcohol notes as well. An underlying sweetness is present; it adds an essence of maple syrup to the aroma.

The taste of this beer is a good mix of sweet and bitter. A malty base is tasted first (tastes like pale or crystal malts to me). Grass hops quickly come in. A stronger bitter flavor makes its way to the front as I swallow. Bitterness lingers on.

The beer is medium bodied and has average carbonation. It is slightly sticky and only leaves a little coat. It isn't nearly as thick as I thought it would be. What is left behind isn't overly flavorful; just enough to make you want another sip.

Lunch is another impressive beer from MBC. I'm sure that drinking this beer when it is just two days old helps, but I imagine it will hold its own for a number of weeks. I definitely see myself drinking a lot of this; I don't think I'll start packing a bottle as much lunch, but it will certainly pair well with many future meals.

Lunch from Maine Beer Company