Lunch - Maine Beer Company

LunchLunch

Maine Beer Company visit their website
Maine, United States

Beer added by: Jason on 05-10-2011

Our “East Coast” version of a West Coast-style IPA. Intense hop flavors and aromas of tropical and citrus fruits and pine dominate. A subtle malt sweetness brings the beer into balance.
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lunch Alström Bros

4.5/5  rDev +2.3%

Poured into a standard pint glass. Bottled on 28-Jan-2014.

Appearance
Hazy golden orange. Or as my wife puts it, "dehydrated pee." Nice silky-looking head with minuscule bubbles. Definitely unfiltered (as if they were lying). Head lasts as a film on the top of the beer until the last drop.

Aroma
Spicy hops. Malty sweetness. Pineapple? Citrus! No alcohol. Low esters. Non-phenolic, although some spicy phenols may be melding with the spiciness of the hops.

Flavor
This beer is just the right mix of hop bitterness, dank hoppy flavor and malt. Nothing seems out of balance. Nothing even peeks its head out more at one point before or after another flavor. Smooth as glass, tasty as a mofo. My glass doesn't spend much time on the coaster.

Mouthfeel
Medium bodied, how I like my ladies. Silky, how I like their undergarments.

Overall
What needs to be said? For some beers that have garnered a strong following there's no question as to why. The balance here is incredible. The flavors are just perfect and the contributions the hops, malts and yeast make come together for a wonderful experience. If you haven't had this beer, seek it out.

4.04/5  rDev -8.2%

16.9 oz. bottle* Look: Nice honey golden amber body, 1 finger white soapy head.

Smell: Oranges and grapefruit on first whiff, tropical flowers, mild spruce sap in the background, nice hints of toasted wheat.

Taste: Citrus fruits (tangerines and grapefruit) floral, pineapple, dank earthiness, herbs, resin, sweet bready malt, nice dose of bitterness, finishes dry with an aftertaste of spruce and citrus rind.

Feel: Medium-light body, tight fizzy carbonation.

Overall: This is hop forward. There is very little malt to balance but man is it easy to drink. Even though this is fresh, I still prefer MO over this. Call me a mad man, call me what you will. Don’t get me wrong I love the aroma and Centennial in the flavor. I just feel that this is lacking a little bit from being insanely great. I still recommend this to any IPA die hard fanatics.

4.34/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

A big thanks to angrybabboon for managing to get me two bottles of this! Both were dated "12/3/13." Consumed about two weeks later. Poured out of a 500ml bottle into a tulip glass.

Pours a gorgeous West Coast-style IPA, indeed - sunset orange, with a frothy white head that rises upwards in the glass and leaves behind a ton of sticky foam and legs in its wake. Good legs, and a tremendously oily appearance throughout. Gets progressively cloudy the more that I pour it into the glass, but it still maintains a charming, rustic East Coast appearance throughout.

Smells vibrant and juicy, as I expected it to. Large notes of fresh grapefruit, tangerines, orange, cantaloupe, peach, and apricots, with a residual note of dank pine, sage, and white pepper. Very sweet and zesty at the front, with a finish that resembles caramel and toffee, as well as a bready grainy sensation that reminds me that I am indeed drinking a glass of beer and not a fresh squeezed glass of fruit juice. Really enticing, and very breezy stuff even here!

Wow! While the aroma definitely reminded me that this is a beer, the flavor may very well have fooled me otherwise. This tastes EXACTLY like a glass of freshly squeezed grapefruit juice, with lovely tropical notes (pineapple, guava) and stone fruit (mainly peaches) and citrus colliding into each other and producing a harmonious fruit cocktail. Creamy and bitter at the finish, but with a soft, comforting bready backbone that provides caramel and toffee and a yeasty thickness and spiciness that makes this a comfortable and complex drink. Floral, with notes of lavender, and the pine cleanses the palate at the finish. Super chewy, with excellent carbonation and feel that keeps together. This was amazingly quaffable - I can really see where the hype lies towards this. A true treat!

This was amazing - I couldn't stop reminiscing about this beer for weeks after consumption, and invited a friend to try the second bottle I had (4 weeks old, at that point). I was shocked with the results. The beer had completely changed into a one dimensional zesty flavor (mainly of lemons and faded grapefruit), and had become grainy and earthy with none of the juiciness I loved the first bottle for. This falls off rapidly, it seems, and I'd warn anyone of getting one of these to make sure that you know what you're getting is as fresh as possible. For that matter, it's a tricky beer for me to want to revisit. I would love to try this fresh on tap, one of these days...

Lunch from Maine Beer Company