Lunch - Maine Beer Company

LunchLunch

Maine Beer Company visit their website
Maine, United States

Our “East Coast” version of a West Coast-style IPA. Intense hop flavors and aromas of tropical and citrus fruits and pine dominate. A subtle malt sweetness brings the beer into balance.

(Beer added by: Jason on 05-10-2011)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lunch Alström Bros

JuliusCaesar, Jun 20, 2013

Pdiddey3d, Jun 19, 2013

Zbyler, Jun 18, 2013
4.85/5  rDev +10.7%

Wow...

I visited Maine February 2013.... went to several beer pubs/brewerys and took the beer bus tour... fabulous I might add.... Maine was the forefront for me to become a fan of IPA's. The reason being.... I think.... besides they make kick ass beer... is the water they use... it's sooo smooth. They make alot of my favorite beers so I would urge anyone who hasn't tried a beer made in Maine to try one cause it's worth it... now....

Bottle read; Enjoy this beer fresh, hoppy beers do not age well. Which appears twivery. Pour carefully a fine layer of yeast is on the bottom please chill upright. Bottle conditioned (my favorite ).

Bottled on 5/21/13. Enjoyed on 6/18/13 not bad I'd say.... says to drink within 90 days of date.

Poured into a tulip glass....

Thick thick thick head... nice golden copper color with plenty of bubbles. Again.... very thick head.... stayed a ridiculasly long time. lacing was sticky and stayed a long time... pretty much until my last 3 sips . now's the time to smell it... wow.... to me, more hoppy piny taste but there goes the grapefruit and the citrus.... very clean smelling... smell again.... very nice piny lemony smell... a great looking beer and smelling beer...

Keep in mind I know how smooth Maine beers are so now I'm dying with anticipation...

Wow.... did someone just smack me on the tongue with a sack of hops.... but just like that first good iPa I drank in Maine in February 13 it slowly faded away so smoothly, like it was never there... but so crisp that you want more and more... anyhoo... big bold hops is forward and pretty much stays there throughout the taste experience but the other flavors start to pull out almost immediately after the initial hop shock.... grapefruit, citrus and lemon, to me very light but very malty... what I like. Finish is superb just like any Maine beer. Very crisp... a tad dry bit beautiful... leaves the pleasant hoppy aftertaste you are looking for. You want more and more. 7% alcohol is slightly hidden but all categories in this beer are perfectly balanced so it's there but it's not....

Quite frankly to date the best IPA I've had... now... I've had better beers... DIPA's, tripels.. etc... but far beats alot of the ones I have personally had.

I gave it a high ranking because of the ranking within the particular beer style.
Put it this way... if you see it on the shelf and are into IPA's than I'd say without a doubt get it. This is a beer I would highly recommend to IPA fans.

pjkelley82, Jun 18, 2013

Jacob007, Jun 18, 2013

mctizzz, Jun 18, 2013

campfirebrew, Jun 18, 2013

backbaybrewer, Jun 18, 2013
4.89/5  rDev +11.6%

Glass: Odell's Rastal Tulip.

Appearance: Hazy golden orange, no particulates. An aggresive pour produced three fingers of head that lingered for at least 5 minutes. Tons of head! A rim of foam remained around the edges of the glass. Tons of thick lacing was retained with each sip. Perfect.

Smell: Hoppy and happy! Grapefruit forefront, lemon zest and citrus in the background. Slight mango and tropical fruit sweetness was also to be found in lesser amounts.

Taste: Strong bitterness upfront. Piney. This transitions relatively quickly to grapefruit and citrus. The aftertaste, which is perhaps my favorite part, lingers on and on with a beautiful tropical fruit sweetness.

Mouthfeel: Light-medium mouthfeel with medium-high carbonation. Oily yet dry hoppy finish.

Overall: The best IPA I've had to date. Flavorful, but subtle at the same time. The alcohol is masked perfectly and is nowhere to be found for me. It looks great in the glass, it smells great, and it tastes great. I am in love.

ChrisKayler, Jun 18, 2013

beertardis, Jun 18, 2013
4.63/5  rDev +5.7%

Drink within 90 days of May 23, 2013. Served in Spiegelau IPA glass. Pours a hazy amber with a white, creamy two-finger head that settles into a nice frothy cap. Nice lacing and legs. Rich smell of grapefruit rind and pine. Citrus pith strikes the palate first and finishes with a heaping dose of pine. Sweet malt backbone balances the bitterness nicely. Medium body with lively carbonation. A superbly crafted IPA that gives the west coast IPAs a run for their money!

JohnG190, Jun 17, 2013
4.28/5  rDev -2.3%

16.9 oz bottle, bottled 5/28/2013, poured into a snifter

A- A clear amber color with a 4 finger white head

S- Grapefruit rind, pine, floral notes.

T- Piney finish, grapefruit, floral hops, herbal notes, kind of has a tea like quality.

M- Smooth, crisp, light to medium body.

O- A nice IPA, definitely, worth the price, not really. I am very happy I tried this, but I don't see myself buying this again since I can get other IPA of the same quality for much less. Still haven't had a beer I haven't really enjoyed for Maine Beer Co.

larryi86, Jun 17, 2013

vbiliyar, Jun 17, 2013
3.75/5  rDev -14.4%

gameface23, Jun 17, 2013
4.11/5  rDev -6.2%

Found this guy as a very welcomed extra in a trade. Based on the stamp this guy is now 40 days old, which is certainly not my ideal but I think there's still a lot to be had here.

Even with a moderate-easy pour, a 2 finger off-white head just refuses to quit. Nice amber body, good carb. The nose is pretty faint. Not sure if it has dropped off with time or started out mellow. Not bad, but was expecting much more here. Taste is solid, but I have the feeling this started out much more than what it is now. Not getting any of the citrus or pine that others have described and what you'd expect of a west coast IPA. The bottle says drink within 90 days, personally I think the limit is much shorter than that. Still a solid drink, just doesn't have the shelf life it says it does. Would really like to try this again when it is much fresher.

ZRBE, Jun 17, 2013