Lunch - Maine Beer Company

Wants: 1,032
Maine Beer Company visit their website
Maine, United States

Beer added by: Jason on 05-10-2011

Our “East Coast” version of a West Coast-style IPA. Intense hop flavors and aromas of tropical and citrus fruits and pine dominate. A subtle malt sweetness brings the beer into balance.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lunch Alström Bros
Reviews: 607 | Hads: 4,142
3.86/5  rDev -10.6%

Beer is a very hazy orange/peach color. Pures a huge white head that becomes extremely rocky as it recedes, has very good retention, and leaves tons of lacing.Has a juicy orange and lemon smell with a bit of grapefruit. Has a bit of bready malt aroma as well.

Taste starts with a bit of pine, then moves on to a large amount of lemon. The has a bit of grapefruit and orange, with a lemony, bready finish. Has a medium mouthfeel with very high and slightly prickly carbonation for an IPA. (488 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +2.3%

Sampled from a 500ml bottle dated 6/4/13. Thanks surge1311!

A - Golden and hazy with a big off white head of large bubbles. Great lacing.

S - A nice mix of citrusy and piney hops. Firm and refreshing.

T - A Wonderful citrusy flavor and bitterness. Lingers nicely. Some toasted malt to support it. Mmmmm.

M - A moderate consistency and carbonation.

O - A nice west coast IPA from New England. Nice to see! (409 characters)

4.37/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

poured from the bottle into a Stone VE stem glass..

A- pours a hazy amber/copper with a 1/4 in. white head that slowly dissipated. Just the way I want an IPA to look!

S- smells like you'd expect a west coast IPA to smell- but its about as far from west coast as can be! fresh citrus, super piney, little bit of grass clippings.

T- hoppy bitterness from start to finish, more citrus, grapefruit, resinious... a little malty nuttiness at the end, but the hops still linger, and hang long after. I would describe this like a friend described Blind Pig- tastes like Xmas trees. (in a very good way)

M- tingling but light the whole way, hops will bite your tongue, just enough carbonation to foam in the mouth a little opening up all the flavors.

O- A damn good IPA, well representative of west style from the east. I'd love more of this!

Edit= continuing to sip on this I'm picking up more pine and pineapple in the nose (I think my allergies just cleared) (959 characters)

4.21/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a 500ml bottle into a Jester King stemmed glass. This one has been sought out for at least two years. Glad to finally get my hands on it.

A: Hazy light amber color. Condensation on the glass makes it difficult to see through but I can tell that it's mostly clear. Started the pour in the center and it immediately foamed up. Moments later switched to a side pour and it still ended up at three fingers with a cumulus cloud puffy center.

S: They weren't lying when they touted it as fruit and pine dominant. Boy is it. Fruit first and after a few minutes the pine seems to shine. It's really wonderfully balanced by a nice subtle malt backbone.

T: Flavor brings the hops all night long (all night). Big citrus up front, piney resin underneath and a sweetness from the malt that ties it all together.

M: A touch undercarbonated for my liking but it doesn't take away from the beer too much. ABV seems non existent.

O: A very very very good IPA. Top 10 for sure for me but not too much higher. Certainly doesn't beat out flower power but it's really nice. (1,070 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Bottle poured into a pint glass.

A- It pours an impenetrable copper with a thick creamy head.

S - The nose is all rustic earth and doughy malt. Not really much citrus apparent in the bouquet.

T - First sip is bitter pine balanced off with an unsweet malt. There really is none of the fruitiness, but rather a floral forest taste that pairs against staid biscuit.

M - Heavy, like seawater rather than cream.

O - This is a no-nonsense IPA that is utterly invigorating. Nothing cloying; it probably just usurped the top spot for my favorite IPA (sorry, Two-Hearted).

Full Review at http://thecuriograph.com/blog/2013/6/24/imbibliography-review-pliny-the-elder-and-lunch (675 characters)

3.67/5  rDev -15%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Finally managed to find a bottle of this in Bangor, 'bought time!

A - Little bit cloudy, pale orange pour, quite a bit of foam, might have had it too cold, recedes to just around the edges.

S - Lots of hops, even without having to put my nose right in there, very potent.

T - dry, bitter up front, thought it might be sweeter, maybe the type of hop, like an underripe grapefruit perhaps. Goes well balancing out the spiciness of these nachos, but it's really a dry, bitter IPA.

M - smooth, maybe undercarbonated almost, maybe due to the serving and all the initial foam, but kind of flat tasting.

Overall... I'd like to like this beer more, and it seems to get high ratings, but not from me. I'm not getting a whole lot of complexity here, just a lot of dry bitterness, which isn't my thing, but I'm still excited to try Zoe. (830 characters)

4.29/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Pours a hazy orange to copper body with straw like hues beneath the cram colored head which is ne of the more resistant I've seen as it hangs around for the duration of the beer.

Pungent hop aromas of citrus such as orange and grapefruit as well as pine and straw waft from the glass. The heartiness to the aroma hints of malt, a touch of bread and grain and a touch sweet.

The flavor is equally delightful with more funky grass and straw hops as well as sweet citrus with an even more pronounced malt presence which is grainy and bread like and possibly features a touch of toffee.

A rather chewy mouthfeel for an IPA with medium carbonation and a big pungent, and chewy finish.

A great IPA with tons of character and a delight to the senses. (748 characters)

4.05/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

a hazy copper pour with 3 fingers of creamy white head which left behind great amounts of lacing. smells citrusy with lots of sweet caramel notes, grapefruitpine, slight mint/lemon hoppy character, a nice complex bready profile. getting a nice herbal hop notes up front in the taste, that minty quality is right there too. lots of bittering but subtle enough to enjoy. sweet malt profile accents the citrusy notes of the hops as well. really tasty, but i think the bitterness is a little bit overwhelming. modest amount of carbonation with a creamy mouthfeel (medium in body).

the aroma this beer gives off is excellent.. unfortunately it didn't taste as citrust as it smelled. the bittering hops used were a bit too herbal and not really what i was looking for. still a really nice ipa, but having waited over a year to try to land a bottle of this, i was slightly disappointed. (880 characters)

3.53/5  rDev -18.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

500 ml bottle dated 052123, so she's a month old. Happy birthday you silly little thing! Courtesy of Jeff...thank you for the opportunity!

Unfiltered medium orange into a tulip. Loads of head...like the underneath of the high school bleachers on a Saturday night.

Nose is faint, especially for a birthday girl. Touch of minerals, pine, and light citrus. Very soft and very clean.

What an odd beer. Starts with a moderate bitterness that actually builds along the tongue. Metallic and sulfurous with distinct lemon rind abrasiveness. Amarillo hops? Dish soapy maltiness and chalk help to sweep up the back end.

This beer reminds me ever so slightly of Ale Asylum's Ballistic. The metallic bitterness and lemon aspects for sure. Here the malt is more understated though there's just something a bit strange about the overall cohesion. Lots of distinctive players that don't quite equal a memorable band. (907 characters)

4.64/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Golden-amber in color with a slight haziness. Gorgeous, fluffy head that lasts for ages. Very nice lace formation. Exceedingly fresh-smelling, both pungent and floral. The scales are tipped toward more of an "old school" C-hop grapefruit and pine character, but there are noticeable undertones of "new school" tropical fruit notes. Checking the hop bill, Simcoe is in there, which explains the mango and passion fruit that I'm getting.

Comparing the flavor to the APAs I've had from Maine, Peeper and MO, the malt backbone is sturdier, lending the flash of malty sweetness one expects in an AIPA. A wave of hop bitterness quickly takes over, and the finish is dry and clean. Just very bright, floral, fruity overall. A little bit resiny and dank but bright and citrusy at the same time. All of these flavor components come together harmoniously. Bottle conditioned, as all Maine Beer Company's brews seem to be. They know what they're doing, too, as the carbonation is vigorous and yet exceedingly light and soft. Add in tons of hop oils and you've got a near-perfect texture.

Lurking the forums, I have seen a fair amount of love for Lunch, and it's absolutely well-deserved. This is an elite IPA - a must try for hopheads. (1,226 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Bottled on 04 June 2013, poured into an Allagash chalice.

Upon pouring I was rewarded with several fingers of head, which reduced to a finger in a few minutes and left lots of chunky lacing on the glass. The beer itself was hazy and amber in color. The nose was fantastic; a nice citrusy hop bouquet with floral sweetness that I couldn't get enough of. I was surprised to find that the taste was much less citrusy and sweet, and rather had a blunt bitterness about it that caught me happily off guard. The more I drank, I kept waiting for the bitterness to subside as my taste buds grew accustomed, but that never happened. I got lots of grapefruit and an earthy pine flavor. The mouthfeel had a light quality about it as the beer had a nice carbonation and left my mouth feeling dry after swallowing.

What a beer. Lots of balance and subtleties that made every taste delicious. I waited a while before I got my hands on Lunch, and it was worth the wait. (956 characters)

4.24/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

16.9oz bottle, dated 05.28.2013 (so, this bottle was consumed within the 90 day time window that it recommends on the label) poured into a FFF teku glass in the late afternoon of 6.20.2013. Thanks to Daniel for providing me with this beer!

This awesomely-named beer pours with a massive, massive 4cm white head that instantly fills up my teku glass, enough that I am only able to pour in half the beer. Nevertheless, the body is a dark burnt orange, like the Texas Longhorn colours, a bit hazy and delicious looking. The massive head takes a good 10 minutes to die down, during which I am sniffing it like crazy because it smells so good.. which I'll get to in a second. The lacing is all over the place from the head, and as I drink it down, it pretty much dries up and sticks to the glass. Great looking beer!

And of course it smells delicious.. Smells tons of citrus- grapefruit juice and lemon zest- along with sweet honey breadiness.. perhaps its tropical fruit sweetness, but I think the malt lends itself a bit to biscuits and toffee. Very, very pungent head that hit my first cranial nerve as soon as I put the bottle opener on the cap.

Now that the head has died down, my face is able to access the beer without making me look like Santa Claus. The nose gives me some ideas of what to expect, but this is a very, very hoppy IPA that hits me with a good bit of lemon zest, tangerines and grapefruit sweetness plus a piney-ish bitterness that is balanced out by a bit of honey breadiness. It's a well-balanced beer that gets a ton of flavour from both the hops and to a lesser extent, the malt backbone. I'm a fan of the hops used in this beer for sure.

While drinking the rest of the bottle, I observe that the flavours mesh together even better as it warms. The mouthfeel on this beer is solid, a bit thin-bodied and watery even for an IPA. It does have excellent carbonation, leaving my palate tingling with both the CO2 fizziness and piney bitterness that isn't too overwhelmingly bitter nor is it dry. It strikes that edge of the cliff where it is a very bitter beer but it doesn't make me pucker up or leave such a dry finish that it takes time to drink this beer- it's easy enough to drink during the lunch hour. No booziness to be detected even as it gets warm.

Overall this is a very tasty IPA that is very well-put together. People say it beats Pliny or whatever, but I'm sorry, while it is a delicious beer, Pliny is just so much more aromatic, hoppy and smooth-drinking while straddling that same line of pleasantly quaffable yet strong bitterness and dry pucker-up bitterness. Plus Pliny is a DIPA. Lunch is an excellent IPA and I see what the big deal about it is. Now, if you have to be paying $8 for a 16.9oz bottle, I'm not sure that represents great value, but for what the beer is and what it delivers, this is a winner in my book. If you haven't had it yet and you see it on the shelf or someone you know can get it for you, pick one up.

8.8/10 (2,977 characters)

4.83/5  rDev +11.8%

Wow...

I visited Maine February 2013.... went to several beer pubs/brewerys and took the beer bus tour... fabulous I might add.... Maine was the forefront for me to become a fan of IPA's. The reason being.... I think.... besides they make kick ass beer... is the water they use... it's sooo smooth. They make alot of my favorite beers so I would urge anyone who hasn't tried a beer made in Maine to try one cause it's worth it... now....

Bottle read; Enjoy this beer fresh, hoppy beers do not age well. Which appears twivery. Pour carefully a fine layer of yeast is on the bottom please chill upright. Bottle conditioned (my favorite ).

Bottled on 5/21/13. Enjoyed on 6/18/13 not bad I'd say.... says to drink within 90 days of date.

Poured into a tulip glass....

Thick thick thick head... nice golden copper color with plenty of bubbles. Again.... very thick head.... stayed a ridiculasly long time. lacing was sticky and stayed a long time... pretty much until my last 3 sips . now's the time to smell it... wow.... to me, more hoppy piny taste but there goes the grapefruit and the citrus.... very clean smelling... smell again.... very nice piny lemony smell... a great looking beer and smelling beer...

Keep in mind I know how smooth Maine beers are so now I'm dying with anticipation...

Wow.... did someone just smack me on the tongue with a sack of hops.... but just like that first good iPa I drank in Maine in February 13 it slowly faded away so smoothly, like it was never there... but so crisp that you want more and more... anyhoo... big bold hops is forward and pretty much stays there throughout the taste experience but the other flavors start to pull out almost immediately after the initial hop shock.... grapefruit, citrus and lemon, to me very light but very malty... what I like. Finish is superb just like any Maine beer. Very crisp... a tad dry bit beautiful... leaves the pleasant hoppy aftertaste you are looking for. You want more and more. 7% alcohol is slightly hidden but all categories in this beer are perfectly balanced so it's there but it's not....

Quite frankly to date the best IPA I've had... now... I've had better beers... DIPA's, tripels.. etc... but far beats alot of the ones I have personally had.

I gave it a high ranking because of the ranking within the particular beer style.
Put it this way... if you see it on the shelf and are into IPA's than I'd say without a doubt get it. This is a beer I would highly recommend to IPA fans. (2,489 characters)

4.9/5  rDev +13.4%

Glass: Odell's Rastal Tulip.

Appearance: Hazy golden orange, no particulates. An aggresive pour produced three fingers of head that lingered for at least 5 minutes. Tons of head! A rim of foam remained around the edges of the glass. Tons of thick lacing was retained with each sip. Perfect.

Smell: Hoppy and happy! Grapefruit forefront, lemon zest and citrus in the background. Slight mango and tropical fruit sweetness was also to be found in lesser amounts.

Taste: Strong bitterness upfront. Piney. This transitions relatively quickly to grapefruit and citrus. The aftertaste, which is perhaps my favorite part, lingers on and on with a beautiful tropical fruit sweetness.

Mouthfeel: Light-medium mouthfeel with medium-high carbonation. Oily yet dry hoppy finish.

Overall: The best IPA I've had to date. Flavorful, but subtle at the same time. The alcohol is masked perfectly and is nowhere to be found for me. It looks great in the glass, it smells great, and it tastes great. I am in love. (1,000 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Drink within 90 days of May 23, 2013. Served in Spiegelau IPA glass. Pours a hazy amber with a white, creamy two-finger head that settles into a nice frothy cap. Nice lacing and legs. Rich smell of grapefruit rind and pine. Citrus pith strikes the palate first and finishes with a heaping dose of pine. Sweet malt backbone balances the bitterness nicely. Medium body with lively carbonation. A superbly crafted IPA that gives the west coast IPAs a run for their money! (468 characters)

4.28/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

16.9 oz bottle, bottled 5/28/2013, poured into a snifter

A- A clear amber color with a 4 finger white head

S- Grapefruit rind, pine, floral notes.

T- Piney finish, grapefruit, floral hops, herbal notes, kind of has a tea like quality.

M- Smooth, crisp, light to medium body.

O- A nice IPA, definitely, worth the price, not really. I am very happy I tried this, but I don't see myself buying this again since I can get other IPA of the same quality for much less. Still haven't had a beer I haven't really enjoyed for Maine Beer Co. (536 characters)

4.12/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Found this guy as a very welcomed extra in a trade. Based on the stamp this guy is now 40 days old, which is certainly not my ideal but I think there's still a lot to be had here.

Even with a moderate-easy pour, a 2 finger off-white head just refuses to quit. Nice amber body, good carb. The nose is pretty faint. Not sure if it has dropped off with time or started out mellow. Not bad, but was expecting much more here. Taste is solid, but I have the feeling this started out much more than what it is now. Not getting any of the citrus or pine that others have described and what you'd expect of a west coast IPA. The bottle says drink within 90 days, personally I think the limit is much shorter than that. Still a solid drink, just doesn't have the shelf life it says it does. Would really like to try this again when it is much fresher. (843 characters)

4.21/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Pours bright like orange sunshine. Cloudy with an ample head that fell off amiably and slow. Good thick cap that never left, cascades of lace and great legs too. Nose is captivating and crisp with ripe fruits. Orange citrus, tangerine, tropical pineapple and a little lemon. With some light pine it smells juicy and dry at the same time. Floral. Malt is grainy and deeply sweet underneath and brings an icy quality that delights with a touch of sugar. Taste is positively vivid. Tropical fruits are ripe and juicy, a little tangy. The malt comes over the mid palate to delight with more bread than you were expecting. Hops are earthy and smooth. They announce themselves with a plucky bitter that takes you to a clean, dry finish. The aftertaste glows as much as the presentation. There's some alcohol warmth for comfort after all that excitement.

The body is creamy and has a texture unlike any other IPA. It's complex and full without heaviness. Not complex because it has too many things going on, but because each quality is deeply met and it has perfect balance. The fruits are succulent, the malt resounds. The hop perfume lasts and translates into the drink. The resin is light and the bitter is essential. Intense but not overdone. This IPA soars. (1,257 characters)

4.37/5  rDev +1.2%

Hyped up, looks nice, smells nice tastes excellent. Surrounded by Excellent beers here in the northeast it isn't the best beer I have had but it certainly is extremely good, better than most no doubt.The hype is legit and the price is right. Would drink several times over. (273 characters)

4.54/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Bottled 5/28/13, drank 6/15/13.

Delicious IPA. Forward citrusy grapefruit flavor. Light bite at the end so you know the hops are present. Poured a thick luscious white head on top of a golden clouded body. I thoroughly enjoyed this IPA but I'm still learning what an IPA is when done well. I will seek and drink this one again.

Bought 2 more bottles and enjoyed them as much or more. (385 characters)

4.54/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

2 weeks old purchased in Maine. Pours a deep golden color with creamy foam that lingers and sticks to the sides of the glass.
Smells of sweet grass, pine and a touch of alcohol
Taste is great, not overly carbonated, hint of creaminess with perfect hop amount that isn't overly bitter. Citrus with a mild malt backbone

Overall an outstanding brew from Maine Beer Co - less punch than a Heady, less creaminess than Can't Dog, Less malt/caramel than some of the other highly rated IPAs and more bitter and complex than Pliny. (524 characters)

4.43/5  rDev +2.5%

Got this as an add in from a trade .
Lunch pours a nice darkish golden color, with a nice large lacing head. Their is a very nice strong dry floral aroma from this beer. The taste has a nice floral bite from the hops, on a rich and almost hidden malty backbone. Nice full flavors, yet easy to drink, very smooth and nice carbonation. Overall a no frills IPA with lots of flavor. (378 characters)

3.73/5  rDev -13.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Pours a cloudy amber in color with a nice big white head and some excellent lacing. The smell is fantastic very floral with some sweet citrus notes. The flavor is good but dose not quite live up to the nose. The whole profile is rather bitter with some grapefruit bite and a tad of a bitter plastic taste I cant put my finger on. The mouthfeel is good for an average strength IPA and it is a very drinkable brew. Over all this is a good beer but I expected a bit more out of they "hype" Being a local IPA thats not to expensive I will surely give it another go in the future especially seeing as it got better as it warmed. Bottled 5/28 so its very fresh. (655 characters)

3.81/5  rDev -11.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Seems appropriate that I have Lunch for lunch. Bottled 5/21/13.

This beer a golden amber hue that is fully clouded. The head is high with a nice level of lacing left on the glass.

Lots of citrus on the nose.

There is also a lot of citrus on the flavor profile, but there also seems to be a bite of boozyness on there that seems high. Too high. It lingers in my mouth. As the beer warms the hops show more and that odd boozy thing less. Thankfully.

This is easy to drink. Though overall, I do feel like it's too boozy, and at only 7%. A pleasant drinker, but in all honesty I was expecting more out of this one. Especially since, at the time of this review, it's ranked as the 11th best ipa in the world. Considering that: I've had many IPAs I would say are better than this. (780 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Born on 5/28/13. Consumed on 6/11/13. Poured from a bottle into a tulip glass.

A: Golden body with orange hue and two fingers of fluffy, soap-bubbly foam. Excellent retention.

S: Wow. Pine. Moss. Citrus. Tropical fruits. Faint whiffs of booze. More pine. More tropical fruit.

T: Floral hop opening, malty body, bitter lingering finish. Notes of honey, mango, papaya, and pine needles.

M: The mouthfeel is beyond perfect. I would give this a 6/5 of I could. Simultaneously silky smooth, fluffy, slick, and briskly carbonated. Seriously, meringue levels of fluff. As silky smooth and fluffy as a Belgian Strong Pale Ale, but with a slick mouthfeel more common in heavier beers. Truly world class.

O: This is probably the single best IPA I have ever had. Another triumph for the Maine Beer Company. If you get the chance, definitely try this beer.

From the brewer: "Lunch is a special whale that has been spotted off the Maine coast since 1982. She has what looks like a bite taken out of her fin which adds to her unique character. We dedicate this beer to her determination and persistence." (1,096 characters)

Lunch from Maine Beer Company