Lunch - Maine Beer Company

LunchLunch

Maine Beer Company visit their website
Maine, United States

Beer added by: Jason on 05-10-2011

Our “East Coast” version of a West Coast-style IPA. Intense hop flavors and aromas of tropical and citrus fruits and pine dominate. A subtle malt sweetness brings the beer into balance.
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lunch Alström Bros

3.75/5  rDev -14.8%

4.64/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Golden-amber in color with a slight haziness. Gorgeous, fluffy head that lasts for ages. Very nice lace formation. Exceedingly fresh-smelling, both pungent and floral. The scales are tipped toward more of an "old school" C-hop grapefruit and pine character, but there are noticeable undertones of "new school" tropical fruit notes. Checking the hop bill, Simcoe is in there, which explains the mango and passion fruit that I'm getting.

Comparing the flavor to the APAs I've had from Maine, Peeper and MO, the malt backbone is sturdier, lending the flash of malty sweetness one expects in an AIPA. A wave of hop bitterness quickly takes over, and the finish is dry and clean. Just very bright, floral, fruity overall. A little bit resiny and dank but bright and citrusy at the same time. All of these flavor components come together harmoniously. Bottle conditioned, as all Maine Beer Company's brews seem to be. They know what they're doing, too, as the carbonation is vigorous and yet exceedingly light and soft. Add in tons of hop oils and you've got a near-perfect texture.

Lurking the forums, I have seen a fair amount of love for Lunch, and it's absolutely well-deserved. This is an elite IPA - a must try for hopheads.

4.52/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Bottled on 04 June 2013, poured into an Allagash chalice.

Upon pouring I was rewarded with several fingers of head, which reduced to a finger in a few minutes and left lots of chunky lacing on the glass. The beer itself was hazy and amber in color. The nose was fantastic; a nice citrusy hop bouquet with floral sweetness that I couldn't get enough of. I was surprised to find that the taste was much less citrusy and sweet, and rather had a blunt bitterness about it that caught me happily off guard. The more I drank, I kept waiting for the bitterness to subside as my taste buds grew accustomed, but that never happened. I got lots of grapefruit and an earthy pine flavor. The mouthfeel had a light quality about it as the beer had a nice carbonation and left my mouth feeling dry after swallowing.

What a beer. Lots of balance and subtleties that made every taste delicious. I waited a while before I got my hands on Lunch, and it was worth the wait.

4.24/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

16.9oz bottle, dated 05.28.2013 (so, this bottle was consumed within the 90 day time window that it recommends on the label) poured into a FFF teku glass in the late afternoon of 6.20.2013. Thanks to Daniel for providing me with this beer!

This awesomely-named beer pours with a massive, massive 4cm white head that instantly fills up my teku glass, enough that I am only able to pour in half the beer. Nevertheless, the body is a dark burnt orange, like the Texas Longhorn colours, a bit hazy and delicious looking. The massive head takes a good 10 minutes to die down, during which I am sniffing it like crazy because it smells so good.. which I'll get to in a second. The lacing is all over the place from the head, and as I drink it down, it pretty much dries up and sticks to the glass. Great looking beer!

And of course it smells delicious.. Smells tons of citrus- grapefruit juice and lemon zest- along with sweet honey breadiness.. perhaps its tropical fruit sweetness, but I think the malt lends itself a bit to biscuits and toffee. Very, very pungent head that hit my first cranial nerve as soon as I put the bottle opener on the cap.

Now that the head has died down, my face is able to access the beer without making me look like Santa Claus. The nose gives me some ideas of what to expect, but this is a very, very hoppy IPA that hits me with a good bit of lemon zest, tangerines and grapefruit sweetness plus a piney-ish bitterness that is balanced out by a bit of honey breadiness. It's a well-balanced beer that gets a ton of flavour from both the hops and to a lesser extent, the malt backbone. I'm a fan of the hops used in this beer for sure.

While drinking the rest of the bottle, I observe that the flavours mesh together even better as it warms. The mouthfeel on this beer is solid, a bit thin-bodied and watery even for an IPA. It does have excellent carbonation, leaving my palate tingling with both the CO2 fizziness and piney bitterness that isn't too overwhelmingly bitter nor is it dry. It strikes that edge of the cliff where it is a very bitter beer but it doesn't make me pucker up or leave such a dry finish that it takes time to drink this beer- it's easy enough to drink during the lunch hour. No booziness to be detected even as it gets warm.

Overall this is a very tasty IPA that is very well-put together. People say it beats Pliny or whatever, but I'm sorry, while it is a delicious beer, Pliny is just so much more aromatic, hoppy and smooth-drinking while straddling that same line of pleasantly quaffable yet strong bitterness and dry pucker-up bitterness. Plus Pliny is a DIPA. Lunch is an excellent IPA and I see what the big deal about it is. Now, if you have to be paying $8 for a 16.9oz bottle, I'm not sure that represents great value, but for what the beer is and what it delivers, this is a winner in my book. If you haven't had it yet and you see it on the shelf or someone you know can get it for you, pick one up.

8.8/10

4.83/5  rDev +9.8%

Wow...

I visited Maine February 2013.... went to several beer pubs/brewerys and took the beer bus tour... fabulous I might add.... Maine was the forefront for me to become a fan of IPA's. The reason being.... I think.... besides they make kick ass beer... is the water they use... it's sooo smooth. They make alot of my favorite beers so I would urge anyone who hasn't tried a beer made in Maine to try one cause it's worth it... now....

Bottle read; Enjoy this beer fresh, hoppy beers do not age well. Which appears twivery. Pour carefully a fine layer of yeast is on the bottom please chill upright. Bottle conditioned (my favorite ).

Bottled on 5/21/13. Enjoyed on 6/18/13 not bad I'd say.... says to drink within 90 days of date.

Poured into a tulip glass....

Thick thick thick head... nice golden copper color with plenty of bubbles. Again.... very thick head.... stayed a ridiculasly long time. lacing was sticky and stayed a long time... pretty much until my last 3 sips . now's the time to smell it... wow.... to me, more hoppy piny taste but there goes the grapefruit and the citrus.... very clean smelling... smell again.... very nice piny lemony smell... a great looking beer and smelling beer...

Keep in mind I know how smooth Maine beers are so now I'm dying with anticipation...

Wow.... did someone just smack me on the tongue with a sack of hops.... but just like that first good iPa I drank in Maine in February 13 it slowly faded away so smoothly, like it was never there... but so crisp that you want more and more... anyhoo... big bold hops is forward and pretty much stays there throughout the taste experience but the other flavors start to pull out almost immediately after the initial hop shock.... grapefruit, citrus and lemon, to me very light but very malty... what I like. Finish is superb just like any Maine beer. Very crisp... a tad dry bit beautiful... leaves the pleasant hoppy aftertaste you are looking for. You want more and more. 7% alcohol is slightly hidden but all categories in this beer are perfectly balanced so it's there but it's not....

Quite frankly to date the best IPA I've had... now... I've had better beers... DIPA's, tripels.. etc... but far beats alot of the ones I have personally had.

I gave it a high ranking because of the ranking within the particular beer style.
Put it this way... if you see it on the shelf and are into IPA's than I'd say without a doubt get it. This is a beer I would highly recommend to IPA fans.

Lunch from Maine Beer Company